President Trump

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 7531
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: President Trump

#5026

Post by Chilidog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:21 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am
Trump Thinks Scientology Should Have Tax Exemption Revoked, Longtime Aide Says

OMFSM! I agree with Trump about something! HOW can that BEEEE? :eek2:
There is a rip in the space - time continuum



User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: President Trump

#5027

Post by Suranis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 am

It's probably because they think constantly about an evil narcissistic dickhead, but its not him.


"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: President Trump

#5028

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 am

Suranis wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 am
It's probably because they think constantly about an evil narcissistic dickhead, but its not him.
:like:


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: President Trump

#5029

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:40 am

First, I am glad to see Trump take on Scientology. We always knew that was a fake church, doing a lot of harm.

Second, I am glad to see that it is Trump who is taking on Scientology. That fake church fights back - mean, rough, no holds barred.

Scientology and Trump may take each other down, like those movie dinosaurs.



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3509
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: President Trump

#5030

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:40 am
First, I am glad to see Trump take on Scientology. We always knew that was a fake church, doing a lot of harm.

Second, I am glad to see that it is Trump who is taking on Scientology. That fake church fights back - mean, rough, no holds barred.

Scientology and Trump may take each other down, like those movie dinosaurs.
Great! Trump has to be right SOMETIME - even a stopped clock.... So glad he chose Scientology for whatever reason.


“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: President Trump

#5031

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 am

I agree on the Scientology thing. Regardless of my opinion on religion in general, Scientology is an especially damaging cult. I was really happy when most of the top people bailed, some celebrities with clout also left, a great book was written, and a documentary based on that book came out on HBO. Leah Remini (not sure of spelling of her name) has a show devoted to exposing many of Scientology's abuse of members, particularly the non-celebrities and people with no money. It's time to destroy this damaging cult once and for all. I wouldn't be surprised to find that David Miscavage has actually committed punishable crimes, either.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 5865
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: President Trump

#5032

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

Considering how the "Church" treats children-- like using them as basically slave labor-- nothing would surprise me less.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: President Trump

#5033

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Nope. David Miscavige will just wine and dine Trump, give him lots of accolades and gold and diamond encrusted crap, make him an honorary Scientologist, and Trump will drop the whole issue.



User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: President Trump

#5034

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 pm
Nope. David Miscavige will just wine and dine Trump, give him lots of accolades and gold and diamond encrusted crap, make him an honorary Scientologist, and Trump will drop the whole issue.
:rotflmao: True, he already had the practice run with Tom Cruise, where he gave him that Freedom Medal of Honor - it wouldn't take a whole lot more than what he did with Cruise to get Trump on board. Every world leader has already figured out how to get Trump to kiss their asses...and has proven that Trump will, in fact, fall for it.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 13012
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: President Trump

#5035

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am
Trump Thinks Scientology Should Have Tax Exemption Revoked, Longtime Aide Says

OMFSM! I agree with Trump about something! HOW can that BEEEE? :eek2:
In several European nations Scientology is considered a commercial enterprise and not a religious group.



SLQ
Posts: 1576
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: President Trump

#5036

Post by SLQ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:34 pm

I'd be surprised if Trump has any knowledge of Scientology whatsoever. If he has a "belief" about their tax-exempt status, it's because someone put a bug in his ear.



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: President Trump

#5037

Post by maydijo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Don't stop at Scientology. I stopped paying tithing over Prop 8 in California. The church was adamant no tithing money went into the campaign, but it used infrastructure (paid for with tithes) and some highly inappropriate things happened (for instance, bishops visited individuals in their homes and said, "Brother and Sister Jones, based on your income, we believe you make $X, so we think you could contribute $Y to this fight" - that use of tithing to pressure people into contributing to political causes is just plain wrong.) If churches want tax exemption, they can set up separate charitable funds that are tax exempt and meet specific laws as to how the money is spent. But their operational budgets should not be tax deductible. If members truly have faith they'll give regardless.



User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 3919
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: President Trump

#5038

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:41 pm




User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 13012
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: President Trump

#5039

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm

I guess the details in the article are a must-read
5 things Trump did this week while you weren't looking
It was a big week in politics. But there was a lot of policy news as well.

It was another wild political week, as Democrats racked up electoral wins across the country on Tuesday and The Washington Post published allegations that Judge Roy Moore, the GOP Senate candidate in Alabama, had a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl. In Congress, the Senate released its counterpart to the House tax plan, and President Donald Trump met with the leaders of South Korea, China and Japan on his first trip to Asia.

Did those change any real policies? Not yet. But behind the headlines, the Trump administration did — pushing through some major changes to Obama-era policies on everything from the protection of organically raised livestock to the rules for state Medicaid programs. And three departments reversed a major legacy of the Obama era: the opening to Cuba. Here’s how Trump changed policy this week.

https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2 ... ion-000582



User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: President Trump

#5040

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

45 wants Justice Department to go after Hillary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/us/p ... ation.html
WASHINGTON — President Trump did not need to send a memo or telephone his attorney general to make his desires known. He broadcast them for all the world to see on Twitter. The instruction was clear: The Justice Department should investigate his defeated opponent from last year’s campaign.

However they were delivered, Mr. Trump’s demands have ricocheted through the halls of the Justice Department, where Attorney General Jeff Sessions has now ordered career prosecutors to evaluate various accusations against Hillary Clinton and report back on whether a special counsel should be appointed to investigate her.

Mr. Sessions has made no decision, and in soliciting the assessment of department lawyers, he may be seeking a way out of the bind his boss has put him in by effectively putting the matter in the hands of professionals who were not politically appointed. But if he or his deputy authorizes a new investigation of Mrs. Clinton, it would shatter norms established after Watergate that are intended to prevent presidents from using law enforcement agencies against political rivals.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10141913763

The full article is at the New York Times link. The second link is to where I had to copy and paste the information. NYT wouldn't let me copy.

We are truly becoming a banana republic.

I have often been ticked at Obama for not going after Bush and Cheney, and others, for things that they did during their administration. That's been a bad habit since Ford pardoned Nixon. But going after a political opponent who lost is a whole other world.



User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: President Trump

#5041

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm




User avatar
bob
Posts: 22023
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: President Trump

#5042

Post by bob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

The Hill: Fox News host tore into Sessions in private meeting with Trump: report:
During a private meeting with President Trump, Fox News host Jeanine Pirro reportedly tore into Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his refusal thus far to appoint a special prosecutor to probe former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over the Uranium One deal.

The New York Times reported Tuesday that Pirro met with Trump early this month, during which she "excoriated" the attorney general for not investigating Clinton, Trump's Democratic opponent in the 2016 presidential race.

* * *

In a statement to the Times, Pirro confirmed that she had merely repeated these sentiments to Trump during their meeting.

“Everything I said to President Trump is exactly what I’ve vocalized on my show, ‘Justice with Jeanine,'" she told the newspaper.
The president doesn't even have to tune into FOX for his talking points; its commentators personally deliver them.


Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: President Trump

#5043

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm

bob wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm
The president doesn't even have to tune into FOX for his talking points; its commentators personally deliver them.
No surprise, since Fox was planned as a Republican media mouthpiece during the Nixon administration by Roger Ailes. Didn't come about soon enough to save Nixon, but it's worked brilliantly to the GOP's advantage since it first went on the air.

The Democrats have nothing like it, and never will, because unlike the Republicans, they don't deal in alternative 'facts' and reality.



User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 13012
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: President Trump

#5044

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm

bob wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm
The Hill: Fox News host tore into Sessions in private meeting with Trump: report:
During a private meeting with President Trump, Fox News host Jeanine Pirro reportedly tore into Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his refusal thus far to appoint a special prosecutor to probe former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over the Uranium One deal.
:snippity:
The president doesn't even have to tune into FOX for his talking points; its commentators personally deliver them.
Isn't Jeanine Pirro anyhow a longtime friend of Teh Donald and he tends to listen to her rantings :?:



User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 7531
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: President Trump

#5045

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

I have mixed feelings about the scientology thing.

While I agree with everyone that it is highly suspect organization, with suspect motives and methods, it is still a belief system worthy of first amendment protections.

You might not agree with the core beliefs, but that doesn't make them any less legitimate as a spiritual belief system.


Please don't conflate a belief with a church.



User avatar
Sam the Centipede
Posts: 4990
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: President Trump

#5046

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm
I have mixed feelings about the scientology thing.

While I agree with everyone that it is highly suspect organization, with suspect motives and methods, it is still a belief system worthy of first amendment protections.

You might not agree with the core beliefs, but that doesn't make them any less legitimate as a spiritual belief system.


Please don't conflate a belief with a church.
Your argument appears to be that an organization should be able to claim first amendment protection by expounding an irrational creed and thereby gaining the right to exploit its victims. I am no respecter of faith-based nonsense, but I can see there is a difference between long-standing religions with stable communities and predators like the Scientologists.

I do not find that compelling. They should be judged by their deeds, and those deeds show them to be an exploitative and thoroughly nasty organization, which is why some countries ban the creeps. Polishing their crazy as a "spiritual belief system" - no, that's absurd. By that definition, the Ku Klux Klan and other white supremacists have a spiritual belief system.



User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: President Trump

#5047

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

My understanding is that in order to qualify as tax exempt status as a "church", certain requirements need to be met, which include using their money for"good works/charity/ the public good, etc. And the fact that Scientology just hordes their money and invests in property and buildings is why they didn't qualify as a "religion". It wasn't until they came after the IRS with all their lawyers and got large numbers of their members to file lawsuits against individual employees of the IRS that the IRS basically gave in to their demands in order to get the lawsuits to go away.

It was a major victory for Scientology, which barely qualifies as any kind of a "belief system". Most of their members don't even have enough money to buy the levels of "beliefs" that Scientology has for sale. Those members who don't have the money to pay for "the bridge" are Scientology's version of "clergy". Someone please name one single other religion where the clergy does not even know what are the "beliefs". I don't think there are any others.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: President Trump

#5048

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm
My understanding is that in order to qualify as tax exempt status as a "church", certain requirements need to be met, which include using their money for"good works/charity/ the public good, etc. And the fact that Scientology just hordes their money and invests in property and buildings is why they didn't qualify as a "religion". It wasn't until they came after the IRS with all their lawyers and got large numbers of their members to file lawsuits against individual employees of the IRS that the IRS basically gave in to their demands in order to get the lawsuits to go away.

It was a major victory for Scientology, which barely qualifies as any kind of a "belief system". Most of their members don't even have enough money to buy the levels of "beliefs" that Scientology has for sale. Those members who don't have the money to pay for "the bridge" are Scientology's version of "clergy". Someone please name one single other religion where the clergy does not even know what are the "beliefs". I don't think there are any others.
I would like to see it changed so that only money which is proven towards good works/charity/the public good is a tax exempt (and tax deductible for people who donate to it). There is far too much over-the-pulpit campaigning in most churches, and that is in direct contravention of their tax exempt status.



User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 4010
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: President Trump

#5049

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm
bob wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm
The Hill: Fox News host tore into Sessions in private meeting with Trump: report:
During a private meeting with President Trump, Fox News host Jeanine Pirro reportedly tore into Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his refusal thus far to appoint a special prosecutor to probe former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over the Uranium One deal.
:snippity:
The president doesn't even have to tune into FOX for his talking points; its commentators personally deliver them.
Isn't Jeanine Pirro anyhow a longtime friend of Teh Donald and he tends to listen to her rantings :?:
That may be true but didn't she try to run against HRC in the NY senate race but had to drop out because of her felon hubby? I'm sure she blames Clinton for that, too.



User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 7531
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: President Trump

#5050

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Your argument appears to be that an organization should be able to claim first amendment protection by expounding an irrational creed and thereby gaining the right to exploit its victims. I am no respecter of faith-based nonsense, but I can see there is a difference between long-standing religions with stable communities and predators like the Scientologists.

I do not find that compelling. They should be judged by their deeds, and those deeds show them to be an exploitative and thoroughly nasty organization, which is why some countries ban the creeps. Polishing their crazy as a "spiritual belief system" - no, that's absurd. By that definition, the Ku Klux Klan and other white supremacists have a spiritual belief system.
No thst was not my argument at all.

My argument is that at the least, it is a belief system is worthy of first amendment protections, irregardless of how the church itself is run.

You could make the same argument about the 700 club, or Joel Osteen, or any other televangelist church. They too, are run for a profit. That doesn't make Christianity any less of a legitimate religion.

But Trump will NOT target those people, but he would target scientology? Who's next, the Muslims?



Post Reply

Return to “Trump Administration”