Information Warfare: Fake News, "Very Fake News", Tweets, Sites and Remedies

foilwatcher

Re: Information Warfare: Fake News, Tweets, Sites, Personalities and Remedies

Post by foilwatcher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:23 pm

You know...this is really getting old. Disaster strikes and the nutjobs immediately started posting the false flag shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHsU9DtvMg

"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18 pm

These people make me ill.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:35 pm

I couldn't watch more than half. Who, exactly, does this guy think created the false flag event? The same ones who do them all? Why?

I thought it was Obama so he could take our guns. Does Obama now want all the guns in the world?

What a bunch of sick bastards.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:49 pm

kate520 wrote:I couldn't watch more than half. Who, exactly, does this guy think created the false flag event? The same ones who do them all? Why?

I thought it was Obama so he could take our guns. Does Obama now want all the guns in the world?

What a bunch of sick bastards.
I watched part of it and left a nasty comment on the you tube page.... What a bunch of deplorables.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:31 pm

I didn't know where else to put this.
12/24/2016 11:44 pm ET
Pakistani Defense Minister Makes Nuclear Threat Against Israel After Fake News Provocation
Defense Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif responded to a made-up article with a real-life scare.

Pakistan’s defense minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, wrote a frightening Twitter post in response to a fake news article stating that Israel would attack Pakistan with nuclear weapons.

“Israeli def min threatens nuclear retaliation presuming pak role in Syria against Daesh,” Asif wrote on Twitter Friday, referring to the Islamic State. “Israel forgets Pakistan is a Nuclear state too.”

According to The New York Times, Asif appeared to be responding to a fake news article published earlier in the week on awdnews.com titled, “Israeli Defense Minister: If Pakistan send ground troops into Syria on any pretext, we will destroy this country with a nuclear attack.”

Pakistan and Israel both have nuclear arsenals.

Asif appeared to accept the article at face value, according to the Times. The story doesn’t mention Israel’s current defense minister, Avigdor Lieberman, and instead quotes a former minister, Moshe Yaalon, who resigned in May.

Israel’s Defense Ministry responded to Asif’s tweet, denying the former Israeli defense minister made the statement cited in the fake news article.

“The statement attributed to fmr Def Min Yaalon re Pakistan was never said,” the Defense Ministry wrote in its official Twitter account. “Reports referred to by the Pakistani Def Min are entirely false.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pak ... 3a08f58fb6

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:34 pm

I simply call all this "Yellow Journalism and it's Consequences"

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:42 am

Unbelievable, a WaPo Homepage editor who wasn't even at the Tillerson confirmation hearing had her world turned upside down by trolls who misidentified her. Gateway Pundit, Drudge. Even Sarah Palin retweeted it.
Trolls decided I was taking pictures of Rex Tillerson’s notes. I wasn’t even there.
What it's like to be at the center of a fake-news conspiracy theory.
By Doris Truong January 12 at 3:03 PM
Doris Truong is a homepage editor at The Washington Post.

There’s a joke among Asian Americans that people think we all look the same. That joke became my own personal Pizzagate late Wednesday: I got caught in a terrible case of mistaken identity that was exacerbated by the speed at which false information spreads on social media.

I work as a homepage editor at The Washington Post. Because Wednesday was my day off, I hadn’t been online much. But before I went to bed, I noticed a message request on Facebook. Someone I didn’t know asked: “Any comment on you taking photos of Rex Tillerson’s notes?” When I checked Twitter, I had to scroll for several minutes to figure out what was going on. It seemed to start with this post: “Who is this woman and why is she secretly snapping photos of Rex Tillerson’s notes?”

Who is this woman and why is she secretly snapping photos of Rex Tillerson's notes? pic.twitter.com/u3WXM3XHCA
— America First! (@America_1st_) January 12, 2017

Right-wing bloggers and Twitter posters had noticed a woman who they thought was taking pictures of the notes that Tillerson, a former ExxonMobil chief executive who is Donald Trump’s pick for secretary of state, had taken during his Senate confirmation hearing. Instantly, they started to “investigate” whatever was going on. Before I could do anything about it, someone had decided the woman was me. No one ever bothered to contact me, but it was this post that Twitter seized upon overnight. By the time I woke up, trolls had commented on social media channels besides Twitter. My Facebook feed had dozens of angry messages from people I didn’t know, as did comments on my Instagram account. Even my rarely used YouTube channel attracted attention. My emails and my voicemail included messages calling me “pathetic” and a “sneaky thief.”
The woman at the hearing wasn’t me. I wasn’t there, and I don’t know who she is. What we have in common is that we’re both women, and we’re both Asian. However, that should not be enough grounds for people to jump to dangerous conclusions. I lost track of the tweets, retweets and variations of tweets, including some with my Twitter handle superimposed on a photo from the hearing. People demanded my firing and questioned my ethics as a journalist. Top editors at The Post had heard about it. The false narrative snowballed early Thursday because a Gateway Pundit post was picked up by the Drudge Report
Even Sarah Palin tweeted it.

Busted.
Strikes me as creepy – reporter snooping & sneaking pics of Trump Cabinet nominee's notes today during… https://t.co/3h5uZFie6h
— Sarah Palin (@SarahPalinUSA) January 12, 2017
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 98033e792f

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Does anybody here live around Atlanta?

Why does this guy have a job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZFHLAcG8A

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:30 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:Does anybody here live around Atlanta?

He believes in a few conspiracy theories about mass shootings too. Not exactly a "false flag" believer, but maybe multiple shooters or fake IDs or something? I don't remember all the details.

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:Does anybody here live around Atlanta?

He believes in a few conspiracy theories about mass shootings too. Not exactly a "false flag" believer, but maybe multiple shooters or fake IDs or something? I don't remember all the details.

Seems like he's very big on JAQ'ing off.

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 am

Is it fair to say that if someone took Podesta's emails and the Instagram photos to any law enforcement agency or DA's office, they would laugh in that person's face?

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 am

How a hoax website about paid protesters came crumbling down live on TV
The website for an organization calling itself Demand Protest made its mission pretty clear: “When your strategy demands paid protest, we organize and bring it to life.” Billing itself as a group that generated the “appearance of outrage” on behalf of left-wing causes, the existence of Demand Protest became an attractive story for many right-wing media outlets. The group, it appeared, was proof that dissent against Trump was manufactured by shady leftist organizations, and could be lucrative: one Backpage.com ad placed in Demand Protest’s name promised a full-time job that paid a $2,500 retainer, plus $50/hr., and benefits.

It was the perfect story to share, if you’re inclined to believe that anti-Trump protesters must be getting paid to be there. Something to that effect has long been in the canon of largely unsubstantiated rumors circulating on the Trump Internet. A well-known fake news writer even fabricated an “interview” with a protester who said he was paid $3,500 to protest at a Trump rally — a story that was shared on Twitter by Trump’s then-campaign manager. And like that made-up story, it also appears that Demand Protest is a made-up group, one that fooled quite a few news sources before being dramatically debunked on-air by Tucker Carlson.
More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:09 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/f ... ess-976979
In this case, we got it wrong. The digital campaign was inappropriate on every level, especially given the trust we work to build every day with our consumers," the studio said in a statement.
Twentieth Century Fox has apologized for creating fake news sites as part of the digital marketing campaign for the new film A Cure for Wellness.

"In raising awareness for our films, we do our best to push the boundaries of traditional marketing in order to creatively express our message to consumers. In this case, we got it wrong. The digital campaign was inappropriate on every level, especially given the trust we work to build every day with our consumers," a studio spokesperson said Thursday afternoon in a statement.
:snippity:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Information Warfare: Fake News, "Very Fake News", Tweets, Sites and Remedies

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ed-up.html

Fox News’ Tucker Carlson had a hard time booking Olga Lexell, the creator and co-organizer of the nationwide Not My President’s Day protests on Monday.

So, after repeated refusals, Carlson’s show instead booked Shane Saunders, a Los Angeles-based actor and casting agent, who Lexell said “was not affiliated in any way with our rallies and was not an organizer.”

In the five-minute segment, Saunders was referred to as an “organizer” by an on-screen graphic and Carlson himself, who also asked Saunders about why “your protest is going to make a difference.”
Update: Fox News' Justin Wells, Executive Producer of Tucker Carlson Tonight, has issued a statement to The Daily Beast regarding the segment.
"The program incorrectly identified a Los Angeles based protest participant as a ‘protest organizer’ in a graphic during Monday night’s telecast. While he was correctly identified in the introduction to the segment, we regret the graphic didn’t accurately reflect his role throughout the entire segment."

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Dan1100

Re: Information Warfare: Fake News, "Very Fake News", Tweets, Sites and Remedies

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I guess this is as good a thread as any for this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... h-is-over/
Milo Yiannopoulos resigns from Breitbart, proving his free ride on free speech is over

Update: Milo Yiannopoulos resigned from Breitbart News Tuesday. In a statement, he said the decision was "mine alone," though The Washington Post's David Weigel and Robert Costa previously reported that "by late Monday afternoon, there were ongoing discussions at Breitbart about Yiannopoulos’s future at the company."
He seems to have quite the jet setting lifestyle for himself, it will be fun and well deserved if he totally fails financially because of this.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Completely irrelevant but fun: The Aussie version of I'm a celebrity get me out of here is on at the moment. One of the d-listers is Dzpiporah, who used to be Kate Fisher, who was engaged to James Packer 20 years ago. She said she went on the show in part to launch a political campaign (she is alt.right). On an early episode she sang Milo's praises, saying he says what everyone is thinking. I am going to guess her political career will be over before it begins, especially now, with Milo supporting paedophilia.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:28 am

Thought it might be time to bring this topic up out of the shadows

I am seeing another surge of fake news.

From Obama has anshadow government, to a Lot of RT (Russia) journalism. One yesterday evening had Tme Warner not signing CNN because they were forever banned from WH press briefings

And, a bunch of old Clinton stories

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... table.html

Speaking directly to the media, Stewart said, “I heard Donald Trump broke up with you. Stings a little, doesn’t it? You finally thought you’d met your match: a blabbermouth who’s as thin-skinned and narcissistic as you are. Well, now it’s over! Well, good riddance, I say. Kick. Him. To. The. Curb.”

He said it’s time for the media to “get its groove back” after “letting itself go,” “putting on a few pundits” over the years and “obsessing 24 hours a day over this one guy”: Donald Trump. “And the whole time you’re all chasing after Donny, the rest of us are thinking, ‘But can’t you see he’s an asshole?’”

“You try to defend him. ‘Oh, no, no, that’s just primaries Donald. That’s just election Donald. You’ll see. We can change him! He’ll get presidential!’” Stewart said, imitating the media. “Yeah, how’d that work out? It didn’t. You know why? Because 70-year-old men don’t get less cranky or racist as time goes by.”

“Look, media, I’m not saying the breakup is going to be easy,” Stewart continued. “You’re going to see your ex swiping far-right with every Tom, Drudge, and Breitbart. And, from what I heard, they do anal.”

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmdFne7LnuA

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 am

I'm not sure where to put this, but here I am and here it goes. Feel free to move elsewhere.

It a long article with ties to Breitbart, Bannon, Facebook, google, Trump and Brexit. Here are just a few highlights.

Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media
With links to Donald Trump, Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage, the rightwing US computer scientist is at the heart of a multimillion-dollar propaganda network
It was $10m of Mercer’s money that enabled Bannon to fund Breitbart – a rightwing news site, set up with the express intention of being a Huffington Post for the right. It has launched the careers of Milo Yiannopoulos and his like, regularly hosts antisemitic and Islamophobic views, and is currently being boycotted by more than 1,000 brands after an activist campaign. It has been phenomenally successful: the 29th most popular site in America with 2bn page views a year. It’s bigger than its inspiration, the Huffington Post, bigger, even, than PornHub. It’s the biggest political site on Facebook. The biggest on Twitter.
But there was another reason why I recognised Robert Mercer’s name: because of his connection to Cambridge Analytica, a small data analytics company. He is reported to have a $10m stake in the company, which was spun out of a bigger British company called SCL Group. It specialises in “election management strategies” and “messaging and information operations”, refined over 25 years in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan. In military circles this is known as “psyops” – psychological operations. (Mass propaganda that works by acting on people’s emotions.)
On its website, Cambridge Analytica makes the astonishing boast that it has psychological profiles based on 5,000 separate pieces of data on 220 million American voters – its USP is to use this data to understand people’s deepest emotions and then target them accordingly. The system, according to Albright, amounted to a “propaganda machine”.
Facebook was the key to the entire campaign, Wigmore explained. A Facebook ‘like’, he said, was their most “potent weapon”. “Because using artificial intelligence, as we did, tells you all sorts of things about that individual and how to convince them with what sort of advert. And you knew there would also be other people in their network who liked what they liked, so you could spread. And then you follow them. The computer never stops learning and it never stops monitoring.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... gel-farage?

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:02 am

Edited to delete strange double-posting. I blame the Russians.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:17 am

There is even more there there.... thank you, I didn't realize that they were Propoganda specialists. It answers a question I had.

First, Mercer was Cruz's big backer and when he dropped out, they licked up Trump.
Kelly Ann Conway actually works for Mercer and sits on the advisory board with his wife.

They brought in Bannon, the polling company, the PR firm's, the professionalism that was there at the end of the campaign.

Their fingerprints are all over this, and, I began to ponder. If they were truly in charge of all this, what did they think of all the Russian influence?

Answer; they are well familiar with Russian election operations and do business with them on this type of activity. They may even be part of the connection.

I posted this elsewhere..i know it's a video and kind of long.. but they guy did his work. You can tell in the first minute or so when he shows his diagram of connections.

WATCH THIS VIDEO TO GET THE MERCER, BANNON, PROPOGANDA, IT GOES BACK OVER A DECADE.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQUkaEVe7II

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 am

"With a few exceptions, the unique “left-wing” sites are basically nowhere to be found on the right-wing side of the network. The graph confirms that, at least as far as connections (hyperlinks) go online, much of the major “left-wing” media appear to be isolated from the most active parts of the news ecosystem"

"Bottom line is, the right-wing sites appear to be linking heavily into most of the left-wing news media, the major news players, and also to each other. However, the “left-wing” media are not linking into most of the “right-wing” sites. To make matters worse, due to the relative lack of diversity in the left media ecosystem (see my last “macro-propaganda” post), there’s right-wing sites in more places across the network. This must have something to do with the “left-wing” news media/journalism “bubble.”"

The above is From a link in that article on Mercer that leads to an article that has MAPPED ALL THE iNTERNET newsites connections. Wow.

I've always noted that Rush, Hannity, Hewitt, Jones, etc all had the same talking points.

Manynof those received millions a year, IIRC Rush hot 5-8 million a year.

This is why this battle is so hard. I keep hearing the same trite questions, "How did the Democratic Party lose its base?:

They didnt.. their base was reprogrammed.

And, the difficulty in regaining them is huge. Just the fact that in Trump approval ratings, Trump supporters sit at over 85%, the polar opposite of Dem' s.

And, since they have delegitimized MMS, how do you reach them?

It just seems hopeless now. It is like the Borg fro. Star Trek... this big connected collective intelligence menacingly stating, "Resistance is Futile"

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 am

Yikes
From another link in that Mercer article..

To me, this is our battle. The minds of America are being psyopped.

"Tech-savvy rightwingers have been able to ‘game’ the algorithms of internet giants and create a new reality where Hitler is a good guy, Jews are evil and… Donald Trump becomes president"

" what you don’t want to do late on a Sunday night. You do not want to type seven letters into Google. That’s all I did. I typed: “a-r-e”. And then “j-e-w-s”. Since 2008, Google has attempted to predict what question you might be asking and offers you a choice. And this is what it did. It offered me a choice of potential questions it thought I might want to ask: “are jews a race?”, “are jews white?”, “are jews christians?”, and finally, “are jews evil?”

Advertisement

Are Jews evil? It’s not a question I’ve ever thought of asking. I hadn’t gone looking for it. But there it was. I press enter. A page of results appears. This was Google’s question. And this was Google’s answer: Jews are evil. Because there, on my screen, was the proof: an entire page of results, nine out of 10 of which “confirm” this. The top result, from a site called Listovative, has the headline: “Top 10 Major Reasons Why People Hate Jews.” I click on it: “Jews today have taken over marketing, militia, medicinal, technological, media, industrial, cinema challenges etc and continue to face the worlds [sic] envy through unexplained success stories given their inglorious past and vermin like repression all over Europe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... h-facebook

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:09 am

And, yet another...
There is a lotbof meat here. And, incredible implications.

"I wrote this piece because I feel the argument about Facebook’s role in influencing the outcome of the U.S. election doesn’t address the real problem: the sources of the fake/misleading/hyper-biased information. Sure, Google’s ad network and Facebook’s News Feed/“Related Stories” algorithms amplify the emotional spread of misinformation, and social media naturally turn up the volume of political outrage. At the same time, I think journalists, researchers and data geeks should first look into the factors that are actually 1) producing the content and 2) driving the online traffic.
Rather than analyze “known unknowns” with incomplete metrics and partial analytics (i.e., measuring the famously opaque Facebook engagement metrics), this analysis looks directly at the source.
⚗Welcome to the Micro-Propaganda Machine
There’s a vast network of dubious “news” sites. Most are simple in design, and many appear to be made from the same web templates. These sites have created an ecosystem of real-time propaganda: they include viral hoax engines that can instantly shape public opinion through mass “reaction” to serious political topics and news events. This network is triggered on-demand to spread false, hyper-biased, and politically-loaded information."

Return to “Media & Social Media”