"The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

Suranis

"The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:00 am

Ok THIS thread you can talk about the media failing at its job in general. I hope this thread will only have cobwebs in it, but I have a feeling it will get very busy, very fast.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Whatever4

Re: "The Media is failing at its job." General Thread

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:20 am

It's the bubble thing -- Conservatives listen to Conservative media, Liberals listen to Liberal Media, there's no Center media.

So what IS their job? Return on Investment? If so, looks like they are doing their job. Truth? :lol:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Suranis

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Thread title changed.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

jamese777

Post by jamese777 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:12 pm

"The media" is an awfully broad term encompassing print, broadcast, cable, radio, Internet, et cetera. Different media have a wide variety of goals and missions.
For example, the goal of the televised/streamed corporate broadcast and cable news media is to entertain via information while providing a return on investment for owners/shareholders. The emphasis then is on Nielsen ratings and advertising revenue.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Facebook sure didn't help. I saw so much bullshit in Facebook memes. I'd try to correct the record by posting fact-checks but all that got me was a lot of name calling and threats so I finally unfollowed the people who were posting them. Then I finally quit surfing. It was making me literally ill (and, yes, I mean literally).

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Facebook is the worst. A cesspool of people posting memes without checking them out at all. And I've seen left and right wingers doing it.

A couple of Nights before the election I saw one guy who was excitedly poisting that Judicial watch had got some DIA documents that proved Hillary was guilty and that the FBI were indicting her. When someone else asked was that true she said something to the effect of "yeah! Judicial Watch has publisjed it! Its DIA documents." Of course, with the power of my sherlock Holmes eye for detail I replied "Yes, but there is a small problem... there is nothing whatsoever o the Judicial watch website about it. Go look if you want" and suddenly the guy stopped posting. He literally had not done the bare minimum of factchecking... looking at the freaking website of the place he was claiming his news came from.

Facebook has become probably the greatest tool for misinformation on the internet.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Suranis wrote:Facebook has become probably the greatest tool for misinformation on the internet.
And promoting energy-diverting slacktivism.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:19 pm

bob wrote:
Suranis wrote:Facebook has become probably the greatest tool for misinformation on the internet.
Seriously. The next person to send me a fucking change.org petition link will do so at their own significant peril.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:34 pm

I hate to agree with Donald Trump about something, but here is goes.

We need libel law reform. Propaganda should be protected by the First Amendment. The First Amendment shouldn't protect the press when they straight up lie to their audience.

Fox News and to a much greater extent Breitbart and Infowars type media outlets spread lies, plain and simple. There is no reason to sugar coat that.

When someone goes on TV and says that President Obama is lying about being born in America and is an illegitimate president, the libel laws should allow them to be successfully sued. Same with the crazy stuff they made up about Hillary.

Flame away. :torches:

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:37 pm

OK, I just went down to the f'ing break room again, where the TV is locked on Faux "news" and we aren't allowed to change it. The anchor was claiming that a Clinton protester said that there are "going to have to be killings because that's the only way anything gets done".

Here is one of my beefs with Faux: I can give many examples where they make statements such as the above, but, somehow they never seem to have video or audio of what they are claiming happened. So, OK, who exactly heard this statement? Was it a reporter? If so, why no camera person present? Etc, etc. My suspicion is that this did not happen. I'm sorry, but, I've seen Faux "news" rating on Politifact and it is extremely bad, pretty much the worst of any news station, so, they have some credibility issues with me. I am angry with CNN and not watching them either, but, at least when they do a similar story they don't just have an anchor saying that this or that happened, they actually show a video segment of what they are claiming happened.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

izzybella

Post by izzybella » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm not watching CNN or MSNBC ever again. MSNBC gave Trump millions of dollars in free advertising and CNN freaking hired his campaign manager. I'm done with all of it. I am sticking to online news, but I had to take a break because Trump is plastered in living orange over every page.

As for Facebook, sadly, I learned that some of my high school friends are outright racist, so I guess it was a good thing in that I rid myself of them. There were a few comments here and there during Obama's run, but nothing like this time around. Trump used some kind of magical power to bring the deplorables out of the woodwork. I won't miss them.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Post-election someone came up with a statistic that an overwhelming percentage of major newsmedia coverage of Trump was "negative". From my point of view, it would have been difficult to have been otherwise considering Trump's behavior, but I can imagine that even mildly conservative folk watching the evening news or reading the morning rag spotted the bias and resented it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:56 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
bob wrote:
Seriously. The next person to send me a fucking change.org petition link will do so at their own significant peril.
I hate social media, increasingly so during the presidential campaign. Absolute garbage. Since the election, I've been seriously thinking of closing my facebook account.

I finally checked my facebook for the first time since Tuesday. I was dreading it, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. I did unfollow, but not defriend, one person. My page is only view-able by friends, so that keeps a lot of crap out of it.

There were some friends (I thought) who became full blown Bernie Bros awhile back, cursed me big time, and posted lots of conspiracy crap before defriending me. For which I thank them. That cleaned up my feed quite a bit.

I unfollowed a number of people awhile back because they posted ALL THE TIME, and it was mostly crap. I highly recommend that option. It certainly reduced the amount of time I had to spend on cleaning things up. Also reduces blood pressure! I can visit their pages to see what's going with them.

For now, I'm not closing facebook. Too many friends spread around the world - it's how we stay in touch. But I wish we had an alternative to what has become a sewer.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:55 pm

Check your media bias here:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “Media & Social Media”