"The Media is failing at its job!" thread.

RVInit

Re: "The Media is failing at its job." 2016 thread

Post by RVInit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 am

This is a response to some of the discussion taking place in the Trump 2016 thread

Maybe part of the solution could be for the rest of us to get angry. Get angry at the media and DEMAND that they start paying attention to facts. We have seen a little bit of that starting with the Orange Menace. Several media outlets finally starting to point out that he lies and some of them even use that word. We should start demanding that we have a right to have media that differentiates between the truth and lies. Until we demand it, it simply won't happen. The loudest voices get what they want. We should be angry about media and those of us who want to live in a world where decision making is based on facts and evidence should be demanding the media to do it's job to present those facts. And also to be educating the public about the fact that much of what passes for news is malarkey.

The media thrives on controversy. So be it. Here is a real controversy they can report on that actually serves the best interests of the public.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am

:yeah:

RV has a really good point. I know I have simply turned away from the whole media circus because I don't like other people's lap dogs, but they don't know that. My silence registers as implied approval, not the disgust that I actually feel.

My dad was an old-school journalist. No favors for access, I can't tell you how many cool things we groaned about when he told us he'd turned them down because his integrity was not for sale: free trips; Disneyland life time passes; football baseball and basketball games with meet and greets after; concert tickets. Of course, they wanted something from him. He wouldn't give it.

When I was a kid and really wanted to do/see/go, it was puzzling and infuriating, at least as first. As an adult, I am proud. I could not say that about very many journalists working today. Granted, I don't consider the likes of Hannity journalists, but many do.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Agree. You cannot have a functioning democracy without a well= informed electorate. At one time, there was hope for the 'education channels' on television but the public television and radio have been undermined. How can the public interest best be served? Why can't the public have someone as clever as Roger Ailes working for them?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:11 pm

A lot of people mistake Ailes' psychopathy and venality for cleverness. It's easy to do.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Oh come on, I mean look at the quality entertainment on "The Learning Channel (TLC)" tonight - Counting on, Toddlers and Tiaras, My Big Fat Fabulous Life, Return to Amish, Sister Wives, and Cake Boss. That's perfectly educational.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Suranis wrote:Oh come on, I mean look at the quality entertainment on "The Learning Channel (TLC)" tonight - Counting on, Toddlers and Tiaras, My Big Fat Fabulous Life, Return to Amish, Sister Wives, and Cake Boss. That's perfectly educational.
:rotflmao:
Off Topic
I was channel surfing one time and came upon the show with Honey Boo Boo, can't remember the name of it. I was floored to see that it actually contains English subtitles.

--- George W Bush

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Even Chuck Todd isn't buying this Trump BS any more.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:15 pm

I need to rant. I'm so very sick of conservative/GOP/Libertarian pundits, commentators & wanna be journalists that I could spit nails!

These assholes brought the rise of Trump and blame liberals for it. They opposed, obstructed & demonized the best President we've ever had, even before he was elected. They hate his polices (because they are immovable self-centered jerks) but even more so they hate him personally without ANY evidence to support their hate.

Just look at these two assholes. They even hate President Carter who is one of the kindest people who ever walked the earth!
IMG_2844.JPG
This is their "evidence" of President Obama being bitter??!!! GMAFB

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/3149953/1774487

Indeed Ben, you CAN tell a lot about a man's virtues by his enemies.
IMG_2842.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:33 am

There are three threads about the traditional media failing at its job. Could I request that they be renamed and include fake news and propaganda. According to this report, fake news attracted more eyes and more attention that traditional news. It is my firm belief that fake news and propaganda had more to do with how this disaster came about. There was a concerted effort to sway this election including efforts from the Russian using wikileaks and the Alt-Right's superiority at getting their slanted, twisted stories in front of the voters. We knew it was happening. We know it works. We don't seem to have a clue what to do about it. IMHO, it should be a top priority. A democracy has no chance against this kind of effort.
The election headlines from major news outlets were shown to have outperformed election news from fake news sites for most of 2016. There is a shift, however, starting in August, when fake news engagement soared past traditional news outlets
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Repo ... 619699.php

A professor in communications has created a list of fake news sites to be aware of and to pass around. Of course, they can change the names and pop up again. People have to learn how to recognize them and report them as soon as they pop up and the social media owners have to be pressured to look for them and block them. Zuckerberg was in denial but his own people did not let him get away with it. It's got to be about more than money.

What happened to the Google motto of 'doing good' or 'do no harm' that we used to hear about.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/ ... story.html

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:54 am

Here's the link to the list. It contains the obvious ones we are so familiar with such as InfoWars, WND and Breitbart. It has another category for sites like The Onion and the Borowitz Report which we recognize as satirical. There is a hybrid that is mixing real news with satire and fake news that is not one or the other. They can later claim it's satire but the unsuspecting reader can't tell and believes it without trying to research or check it for veracity.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10eA ... tM/preview

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 am

I wholeheartedly disagree with the inclusion of Crooks and Liars on the list. It is not fake news, it is opinion.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:21 pm

A group of college students came up with a browser extension that will check and verify news stories on Facebook. Like anything on the web, I doubt it will be good for very long but it's a start.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/busine ... 614549.php

Mark Zuckerberg said that it would be hard to rid Facebook of fake news sites because identifying the truth is complicated.

Okaaaaaay. :?

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:32 pm

I think a part of the Trump victory was that a segment of the voting population resented being propagandized by the newsmedia. It was a bit too obvious, at least after the Conventions, that most of the big media didn't want Trump, leaned heavily toward HRC, and was piling on the negative news on Trump. The constant anti-Trump drumbeat may have finally won Trump a great deal of sympathy from people who felt that they also had been neglected and shortchanged by modern corporate America.

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Fortinbras wrote:I think a part of the Trump victory was that a segment of the voting population resented being propagandized by the newsmedia. It was a bit too obvious, at least after the Conventions, that most of the big media didn't want Trump, leaned heavily toward HRC, and was piling on the negative news on Trump. The constant anti-Trump drumbeat may have finally won Trump a great deal of sympathy from people who felt that they also had been neglected and shortchanged by modern corporate America.
Interesting. My ex posted this (as part of a longer post) a few days after the election:
Here's the thing I'm most proud of: Our country didn't buy the lies and didn't believe the media that pushed so hard for Hillary. All the stories, all the videos, all the newspaper articles slamming Trump.
I'm proud to say that this country isn't full of mindless lemmings. We want the truth, not opinions. We what the facts, not ideological idiots yacking about utopia. We want to know the who and what, we'll decide for ourselves about the why.
We can think for ourselves, don't need your agenda driven commentary.
P.S. He certainly hasn't been neglected by modern corporate America. He's much wealthier than most people I know. But it's interesting that his big takeaway was that the country rejected "the lies about Trump".

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 pm

But the lies about Hillary were all true.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:20 pm

kate520 wrote:But the lies about Hillary were all true.
Apparently :brickwallsmall:

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:48 pm

kate520 wrote:But the lies about Hillary were all true.
I heard on right before the election while was walking the dogs in the canyon. The woman brought up the old Vincent Foster murder claims. I tried to tell the woman that his own sister had written editorials and such talking about Vincent and his mental state before his suicide and hinted t :cry: hat she should look up what his family has said about the claims. The tapes of those old, old lies are still playing in people's heads.

I have heard twice in the last week (from Dem voters) about how they had seen a clip of Obama going to Flint drinking a glass of water and saying it was just fine and not helping them get the pipes fixed. Did he do that? I do remember GOP governor Snyder doing that. Did Obama do it , too? Did I miss it entirely? Or did those people get mixed up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn9-iMwtrrc

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:59 pm

I guess he did and I missed. But it's strange I missed it. It's also strange which one people remember. The other people didn't remember Snyder doing it and I never saw Obama do it 3 weeks later. But the complain was that the pipes didn't get fixed. I think I remember Obama pushing Congress for funding to fix the pipes but that kept adding poison pills to the funding bills for things like defunding Planned Parenthood.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /83929904/

It seems the Dems are having problems messaging to Dems as well. So, who should get the blame for the problem and who should get the blame for the pipes still not being fixed. What seem to be the top story in the last few days before the election was it was all Hillary's fault because Donna Brazil had passed her a question that was going to be asked about the water and there was a big story on the news about the cynical use of a poor mother asking Hillary the question in a town hall. She felt like she had been used by the Hillary campaign when this came out in wikileaks emails. I do not know what the real story was but it was very damaging to the Dems and to Hillary.

ETA: Okay, here's the story of the Dems in Congress trying to get funding for replacing the pipes in Flint. Guess who blocked and what excuse they gave? Big fat guess. I bet you get it in one. So, how did Obama and Hillary end up being the villains of this story, eh?

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /91167738/

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:00 pm

esseff44 wrote: I have heard twice in the last week (from Dem voters) about how they had seen a clip of Obama going to Flint drinking a glass of water and saying it was just fine and not helping them get the pipes fixed. Did he do that? I do remember GOP governor Snyder doing that. Did Obama do it , too? Did I miss it entirely? Or did those people get mixed up?
Yeah he did it. there is a video clip here.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... ater-video

What the "dem voters" are mising out is that he was drinking FILTERED flint water to show people that drinking filtered water is safe and that is something that people could do immediately. I don't know anything about "not fixing the pipes" so I'm not going to comment on it other than its probably just as much bullshit.

So the rat fuck propaganda is still ongoing. Hell they are still ragging on Carter, a 90 year old man that spends his time building homes for the homeless.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Suranis, read my ETA in previous post. This is how the messaging gets out there .....all fouled up with the folks who were responsible for the problem and keeping it a problem get off without blame and the ones who tried to fix it get all the negative press.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:46 pm

I posted earlier with a link to a list of websites of fake news, satire and 'clickbaity' sites. The college communications teacher who compiled the list has taken it down because of threats to her and her students. She had updated the list with suggestions that had been made but that is no longer available.

It looks like the fake news people mean business. When I was searching for the name of the list, I landed on some pretty mean and ugly sites that has taken over when you seach for her list. I would say that there is a full on war for the dominant position in what is or can be found on the internet when you search for information about political subjects.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/ ... story.html

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:45 am

This! (imagine arrow pointing up here)

We can blame Hillary and the DNC and whoever/whatever, but the huge monster in the room is that anything resembling reasonable debate, discussion and investigative journalism is being shutdown. That scares me more than anything else. Comment sections have become cesspools of lies, threats and insults. Investigative reporters are threatened. Even Megan Kelly was threatened on Fox by a guest who was fine with her being gutted. Hell, even just everyday bloggers with an opinion are threatened, doxxed, harassed, and forced to defend themselves against lies to employers in an effort to get them fired. We have one here who felt the need to delete a blog.

I know two other people who are being harassed and threatened. One is the parent of a transgender child who posted on forums about raising a transgender child to help others. The family is now so harassed and threatened that they are seriously looking for refuge in another country. Not the I'm pissed so I'm leaving for France stuff. They are terrified for their child.

I heard about another person who didn't vote for Hillary from her sister. Three sisters raised in NYC, college educated, granddaughters of Eastern European Jewish immigrants. Their dad fought in WWII as a teenager. After the war, he and his parents learned that they had no surviving relatives in Europe. And yet one of the sisters (who moved to PA years ago) didn't vote. She couldn't bring herself to vote for Trump, but she refused to vote for a murderer. Yep, Clinton killed Vince Foster and got away with it. She was adamant that the msm was hiding that fact, but she knew it was true from the "news" websites she read. She was not open to any other possibility.

"I would say that there is a full on war for the dominant position in what is or can be found on the internet when you search for information about political subjects. "

Yes, the war is on, and we just lost the first round big time. So while we're tossing around ideas about what went wrong and what to do about it, don't neglect the fact that we've lost the media and the internet. There will be no perfect candidate and no perfect way to speak to the rust belt when our voices are drowned out and silenced.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:36 am

I hope Mark Zuckerberg will not retaliate on his employees that made him look rather stupid by putting out how much FB was contributing to the spread of fake news and disinformation. Some of it is for clickbait and some hoaxers have figured out how to make it pay on their Adsense. But the most insidious stuff are the planted news stories for political purposes with full intention of misleading the public and damaging someone's reputation.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:13 am

Truth is a solid and lies are a liquid. So truth will always be harder to spread than lies.

Love is a clamp and hate is a hatchet. Love does not, in fact, trump hate; it can only dry the tears and bind the wounds when hate gets tired and leaves.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:30 am

RoadScholar wrote:Truth is a solid and lies are a liquid. So truth will always be harder to spread than lies.

Love is a clamp and hate is a hatchet. Love does not, in fact, trump hate; it can only dry the tears and bind the wounds when hate gets tired and leaves.
I wish I disagreed, but alas...

--- George W Bush

Return to “Media & Social Media”