"The Media is failing at its job!" thread.

Suranis

"The Media is failing at its job!" thread.

Post by Suranis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:33 pm

The Media covering this election is worth less than 24 carrots. Vent here.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

foilwatcher

Re: "The Media is utter chocolate balls" 2016 thread

Post by foilwatcher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 pm

If the media had any integrity at all they would send only one pool camera and one pool report to document any Trump event or presser for the sole purpose of documentation and not for broadcast or dissemination. Broadcast journalists would refuse to take any Trump calls. But it ain't gonna happen. Journalistic integrity is dead. :madguy:

"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:24 pm

:panic: :panic: :panic: :cantlook:

Okay. I'm back.

Thanks, Suranis.

On a more positive note, Emily Crocket of Vox was on Ari Rabin-Havt's XM show this morning (as far as I know it is not available as a replay anywhere). She was fantastic: blunt, to the point, extremely well spoken. Her best point was that tRump is gaslighting the country; that anyone who has ever dealt with abusers will recognize his constant deceit, bullying, and shifting of reality.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:33 pm

I think Brian Beutler, an editor at TNR ( who used to be our editor at Firedoglake :P good job, Brian) has the right idea. Basically, the media has misplaced their charter.
Over the past three weeks, influential liberals have placed the issue of proportionality in political journalism at the center of a national debate. Joined by many conservatives, these liberals note that Donald Trump lies brazenly; lacks any identifiable grasp on the public policies he’ll be tasked with executing; and has been admonished by the Republican House speaker, among others, for racism. So why, they ask, aren’t these facts persistently dominating news coverage of this election? How can such dangerous matters be bumped beneath the fold of the front page, or to b- and c-block discussions on TV, by comparably minor developments like Hillary Clinton’s factually accurate observation that many Trump supporters are deplorable?

:snippity:

In a column last weekend titled “The Truth of ‘False Balance,’” New York Times public editor Liz Spayd dismissed out of hand the idea that the coverage decisions news outlets make can and should be influenced by judgments about what’s most important for news consumers to know.

“There are plenty of times when the media does a sloppy job of making coverage decisions,” she wrote. “It overplays stories, reaches unfounded conclusions and publishes pieces that ought to be killed. But these calls should be based on the individual merits of the stories, not a guiding philosophy that encourages value judgments.”

The press is not a pro-democracy trade, it is a pro-media trade. By and large, it doesn’t act as a guardian of civic norms and liberal institutions—except when press freedoms and access itself are at stake. Much like an advocacy group or lobbying firm will reserve value judgments for issues that directly touch upon the things they’re invested in, reporters and media organizations are far more concerned with things like transparency, the treatment of reporters, and first-in-line access to information of public interest, than they are with other forms of democratic accountability.
https://newrepublic.com/article/136730/ ... g-election

Frankly, this reminds me very much of a long time ago when the conservatives complained bitterly that liberals wouldn't give them a place at the news table. Liberal news organizations, of which the NYT used to be, but is no longer, the leader, basically told them it was because their ideas sucked and they should go away until they have better ideas. And they came up with Fox.

Do you agree that news organizations do not have a responsibility to educate the public? I think they are wrong and these claims are defensive bs.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 pm

IMO, the media should shroud him until he apologizes to Obama and the country for his birthing and apologize to Clinton for blaming her for it. They should stop letting the surrogates pivot away from the question to their talking points. I am sick to death of talking points which are 90% truthiness. They need to just shut off the mic when they pivot.

In the print media, they need to fact-check as they go even in headlines. Most people don't get past the headline or a few sentences. They never get down to any fact-checking if the reporter even bothered to include any.

I think the news media has a duty to inform the public and provide them with the information the need to make good decisions. We have too many aggregators and not enough investigators. We need more people like David Fahrenthold who has been researching Trump's charitable donations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Meet+th ... 8&oe=utf-8

ETA: This is what they should be doing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... donations/

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 pm

(Suranis, is 'chocolate balls' an insult in Ireland? I'd actually love some dark chocolate balls!)

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:29 pm

I played Chefs song "chocolate salty balls" on my radio show tonight so it was in my mind. "Balls" is slang for bullshit around these parts though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNYXgV7L-c

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:37 pm

I don't want any freaking apology from Trump about birtherism. First, he will never do it. Second, no "apology" or "regret" can undo the damage that he's done by throwing gasoline on the fire of racism, bigotry, homophobia and misogyny in this country. The "media" could stop hanging on his every word, but it won't. It's all about the benjamins.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Suranis wrote:I played Chefs song "chocolate salty balls" on my radio show tonight so it was in my mind. "Balls" is slang for bullshit around these parts though
Wait, wut??? You've got a radio show???

Share, damn it!

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:01 am

kate520 wrote:I think Brian Beutler, an editor at TNR ( who used to be our editor at Firedoglake :P good job, Brian) has the right idea. Basically, the media has misplaced their charter.
NYT Comment:
ApostasyUSA Alameda, Ca 9 hours ago

The US media is a landscape of lackeys and cowards. The NYT is no exception.

"The corporate media create a narrative about Hillary Clinton; they repeat that narrative ad infinitum; they do a poll about that narrative; they report on the poll finding that the narrative has penetrated the public consciousness. Then they step away and summarily erase their role in creating the original narrative, retroactively justifying their creation of a false frame under the auspices of “this is what the public thinks,” as though “the public” came to that conclusion in a vacuum."

The media didn't get rick-rolled by Trump. They've been lackeys for decades now. It's been total amateur hour in the media since 2003 when they let GW Bucs take us to war in Iraq. Since then they've demonstrated to the public exactly what it means to sell out. I mean come on....Benghazi? Email servers? For years they've crammed this into our ears. Meanwhile...a real story, about how a corrupt business man can take over the Republican Party, is willfully ignored by the MSM. Never heard a peep from the NYT about his foundation. How about his bankruptcies?

No...you were not bamboozled by Trump....you volunteered to be his idiots. I don't want to hear your excuses. Most papers these days only useful for scrubbing windows. They've failed our citizenry time and time again.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:50 am

Plutodog wrote:
Suranis wrote:I played Chefs song "chocolate salty balls" on my radio show tonight so it was in my mind. "Balls" is slang for bullshit around these parts though
Wait, wut??? You've got a radio show???

Share, damn it!
He's had it, and talked about it, for years. Who are you and what have you done with the real Plutodog??

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:55 am

I am utterly convinced that the entire reason for Trump's kid-gloves treatment by the media is that 24/7 cable news ratings will plummet without a horse race to cover with breathless, up-to-the-minute coverage. A blowout Clinton victory a la Reagan in '88 '84 or Johnson in '64 would be a disaster for the precious clicks for online news and eyeballs for TV media. It's the same reason that the networks switch away from a football game when the score is 55-0 in the third quarter. Except in this case, the coverage actually gets to determine the score by influencing public opinion. CNN in particular should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves (hiring Corey Lewandowski? REALLY?), but the other networks haven't been much better.

EDIT: I fail at political history. Reagan's blowout was in '84. GW Bush also won by a blowout in 88.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 am

fierceredpanda wrote:I am utterly convinced that the entire reason for Trump's kid-gloves treatment by the media is that 24/7 cable news ratings will plummet without a horse race to cover with breathless, up-to-the-minute coverage. A blowout Clinton victory a la Reagan in '88 or Johnson in '64 would be a disaster for the precious clicks for online news and eyeballs for TV media. It's the same reason that the networks switch away from a football game when the score is 55-0 in the third quarter. Except in this case, the coverage actually gets to determine the score by influencing public opinion. CNN in particular should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves (hiring Corey Lewandowski? REALLY?), but the other networks haven't been much better.
the media can't lose, no matter what happens. If Drumpf wins because of their bullshit, they have 4 years of potential wars, attacking immigrants and right wing supreme Court nominee coverage

listeme

gross thread name

Post by listeme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:00 am

So... if that is true, does that mean that the only thing cable news really covers is politics? Is it all about covering the big game (Decision Desk 2016, and so on?)

What else is cable tv news for?

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Adrianinflorida

Re: gross thread name

Post by Adrianinflorida » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:01 am

listeme wrote:So... if that is true, does that mean that the only thing cable news really covers is politics? Is it all about covering the big game (Decision Desk 2016, and so on?)

Death, destruction, sex and Trump. Not necessarily in that order

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 am

The topic is essential, but the title is ineffective on this side of the Atlantic.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:54 am

TollandRCR wrote:The topic is essential, but the title is ineffective on this side of the Atlantic.
:eek2: Wot?! No chocolate in Yoo-rup? Is this due to impending Brexit? :eek2:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 am

Maybe "stinking chocolate balls"?

"Hairy chocolate balls"?

If dogs run free, why not we?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:13 am

It's an example of Irish Cultural Imperialism. :mrgreen:

I'm open to suggestions. And I just added the word salty :twisted:

listeme

Re: "The Media is utter salty chocolate balls" 2016 thread

Post by listeme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 am

Gross.

Maybe I'll just keep my media comments in the Hillary thread.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:19 am

It would be much more helpful is the Subject of the thread was something that reflected the subject and could be searched. :prettyplease:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 am

Yeesh fine. Happy?

Foggy can change it to something more apropo if he wants.

Foggy

Re: "The Media is failing at its job." 2016 thread

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 am

I like the new title. :blink:

If dogs run free, why not we?

listeme

Re: "The Media is failing at its job." 2016 thread

Post by listeme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:40 am

WooT!

Thanks, you guys :lovestruck:

Edited to be back on topic:

I would say that overall CNN has been horrible, NYT has been (surprisingly to me) wayyyy too bothsidesitis, and Washington Post has been decent. FOX hasn't been worse than usual, but they are obviously terrible.

The birtherism bait and switch last week may have woken up some of the folks at CNN and NYT, but I don't know how long it will last.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Re: gross thread name

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 am

Adrianinflorida wrote:
listeme wrote:So... if that is true, does that mean that the only thing cable news really covers is politics? Is it all about covering the big game (Decision Desk 2016, and so on?)

Death, destruction, sex and Trump. Not necessarily in that order
filler. don't forget filler.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Return to “Media & Social Media”