Media Moves

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Media Moves

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 am

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC News on Wednesday after an employee filed a complaint about "inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace," the network announced.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/media/m ... index.html

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 am

NYTimes:
NBC Fires Matt Lauer Over Misconduct Allegations
By JIM RUTENBERG NOV. 29, 2017

NBC has fired its leading morning news anchor Matt Lauer over sexual harassment allegations, the network’s president for news said in a memo to staff on Wednesday. “On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer,” Andrew Lack, the NBC News president, said in the memo. He said the allegation against Mr. Lauer “represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment.”

“While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over 20 years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.” Mr. Lauer’s co-host, Savannah Guthrie, announced the news on “Today” on Wednesday morning.

Appearing on the verge of tears, Ms. Guthrie said, “All we can say is we are heartbroken; I’m heartbroken.” She described Mr. Lauer as “a dear, dear friend,” and said she was “heartbroken for the brave colleague who came forward to tell her story.” Calling Mr. Lauer’s resignation part of a national reckoning, she continued, “How do you reconcile your love for someone with the revelation that they have behaved badly?”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/busi ... IFTTT&_r=0

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:42 am

NBC investigated the allegation and found it to be true.

I hope this brings a culture change.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:50 am

I guess we won't be playing "Where in the world is Matt Lauer" anymore.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:51 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:42 am
NBC investigated the allegation and found it to be true.

I hope this brings a culture change.
And yet the ShitGibbon remains in office.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 am

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am

Elizabeth Wagmeister‏@EWagmeister

At @Variety, @RaminSetoodeh & I had been working on a Matt Lauer story for months and NBC was aware. There are multiple women we've spoken to with far-ranging accusations against Lauer. The power of journalism has never been more evident with this cultural change.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am

Good riddance. I never cared for Lauer. Now if only Chuck Todd could go.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 am

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am
Good riddance. I never cared for Lauer. Now if only Chuck Todd could go.
:thumbs: :pray:

--- George W Bush

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 am

Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Matt.

I used to watch the Today show, but it seemed like it got really dumbed down and political after 9/11. The more I saw of him, the less I liked him. I also used to watch C-Span in the morning, but that became so toxic I quit watching it, too. I think that was after the 2008 election.

And, yeah, would I love to see Chuck Toad go!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 am
Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Matt.

I used to watch the Today show, but it seemed like it got really dumbed down and political after 9/11. The more I saw of him, the less I liked him. I also used to watch C-Span in the morning, but that became so toxic I quit watching it, too. I think that was after the 2008 election.

And, yeah, would I love to see Chuck Toad go!
Sometimes I feel awful for the commentators on C-SPAN during the phone calls, much of the time they spend trying to keep their poker face. I can't get my head around the fact that so many stupid people would actually watch what is going on with Congress.

--- George W Bush

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Ann Curry has to be :dance: :rotflmao: in private.
Matt Lauer, who was fired from NBC News on Wednesday for alleged sexual misconduct, has had a contentious relationship with his former cohost Ann Curry. He was widely blamed for her humiliating ouster from the Today show in 2012.
But in public, always classy.
In an interview later on Wednesday with People magazine, Curry declined to comment specifically on Lauer's termination, but said, "I’m still really processing it."

Curry said that she admired all women "who have been willing to speak up both anonymously and on the record" about sexual misconduct generally.

"We need to move this revolution forward and make our workplaces safe," she said.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrul ... .kbP8PogWJ

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Ugh.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Lou Dobbs. :sick: :talktothehand: Once a birther, always a birther.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:24 pm
I don't watch that Fox News thing, so I missed a lot of that, but what an ignoramus. Did I hear him complaining about Sessions not doing anything about Russia - like he can? Sheesh.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:24 pm
I don't watch that Fox News thing, so I missed a lot of that, but what an ignoramus. Did I hear him complaining about Sessions not doing anything about Russia - like he can? Sheesh.
It's all here on the Fogbow...somewhere.

Here ya' go Kendra, Dobbs has his very own thread here: http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... =Lou+Dobbs

I believe Anita Hill!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 am

Thank you. Not sure when I want to venture in there. Going to try for more sleep right now, don't want nightmares.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Whenever MSNBC puts the Orange Menace on and I'm watching, I switch to CNN. And I've been hanging around CNN a little bit more.

In terms of calling them as they see them, CNN is a lot tougher (truthful) in dealing with Trump than is MSNBC. Now I see why Trump pounds CNN so much. They tell the truth and he looks as bad as we know he is. MSNBC is trying to be fair and balanced -- in the Fox "News" mode; they put on brainwashed Trump cultists and the commentators are afraid to call a lie a lie.

Sad.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 pm

:thumbsdown: Brian Williams.

At the end of an interview with a subject or a report from a colleague, Williams is always effusively praiseworthy. I find it really condescending and awkward. Williams phraseology when he's being unctuous is always clumsy. It really irritates the hell out of me. I want to yell -- "get him off my TV!"

Is it just grumpy me, or do other people feel that way, too?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 pm

At the end of an interview with a subject or a report from a colleague, Williams is always effusively praiseworthy. I find it really condescending and awkward. Williams phraseology when he's being unctuous is always clumsy. It really irritates the hell out of me. I want to yell -- "get him off my TV!"

I've noticed that, but I love his show because of his panelists. Especially Jeremy Bash. I don't know, but there's something about Bash that appeals to me.

I believe Anita Hill!

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 pm

My dad's longtime partner was the same way. Everyone had to be praised for their role in making a meal (even if for merely showing up to the table) and every element of the cooking was praiseworthy, no matter how tasteless or banal the result. It completely devalued any honest compliment she gave.

I don't watch him enough to comment on Brian Williams in particular, but it's not just you in general. As Dash says in The Incredibles (quoting Thomas Jefferson) after his mom tells him that everyone is special... "That's another way of saying no one is."

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Fox gets one right.

51765DC8-E7CC-41FF-B989-D448586735B5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:03 am

Skip Intro wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 pm
Fox gets one right.

51765DC8-E7CC-41FF-B989-D448586735B5.jpeg
Treason for the season :?: :lol:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ed4100cadf
When Houston Chronicle reporters want to use information from an unnamed source in a news story, they have to jump through a few hoops first.

A senior editor has to approve it, and know who the source is. A single unnamed source is rarely enough to go ahead with a story — there must be two sources with the same firsthand knowledge. And one of a handful of top editors must sign off on its use before publication.

“The one exception to the two-source rule is when we have a ‘golden source’ — for example, the police chief talking about an investigation,” said Nancy Barnes, the Chronicle’s executive editor.

The vetting process is similar at many large news organizations — and it’s just one of the practices that journalists assume, perhaps incorrectly, that news consumers understand.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:27 pm

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... 4?cmpid=sf
The Justice Department lawsuit to block the proposed AT&T-Time Warner merger has an unexpected fan: former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser Carter Page.

Page, who is not a lawyer, filed a proposed friend-of-the-court brief Tuesday arguing that consolidation between telecommunications and media companies "encourages extreme levels of journalistic recklessness and impropriety because it allocates considerable resources to the media outlets under their control."

Page, separately, has filed a libel suit against Verizon's Oath, which owns Yahoo News and HuffPost, claiming Yahoo News defamed him when it wrote about his alleged contacts with Russians accused of meddling in the 2016 election.

In Tuesday's filing, Page asserted that the proposed AT&T-Time Warner union would further the "telecommunications-media oligopoly" that he claims ensnared him during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Return to “Media & Social Media”