Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

stoppingby

Re: Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:21 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:02 pm
SLQ wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm
I was a teen in the early 80s, in rural America (though not the rural south). There is no way my parents would have allowed me to date a man in his 30s. No. Freaking. Way. (They didn't even like the guy I was dating who was the same age I was, although in hindsight that was for good reason.)
I graduated from an Iowa high school in '71 and it was the same back then. I remember a couple girls, at least age 17, who might have a dated a recent high school graduate but that was it. Good girls did not date adult men. Ewwww. Creepy.
I was in high school in the mid-80s. I had a high school friend who dated (and later married) a man in his 30s. EVERYONE thought it was creepy as hell, except her parents, who we would call "country" (think trailer park, or hillbilly) and thought it was okay because he had a job. What people didn't think, back then, was that someone needed to step in and report it to the police, even if mom and dad were inexplicably okay with it. People tended to think it was the parents' responsibility to involve the police. Now, I suspect CPS would have been called by someone, or alternatively, the creep would have encouraged my friend to be more "discreet" and not tell her friends.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Indiana's very very conservative (and sleazy) republican senator Todd Young has just announced that he thinks Moore should take himself out of the race. If Moore is losing the right-wing fringe of the senate, who is left in his corner?

(While I praised Romney for doing the same thing, I'm not going to praise Young. Romney has demonstrated that he breaks with his party occasionally over principle. Young is just a rat fleeing a sinking ship.)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm

High school in the 70s in the Deep South, and me and my friends all dated older guys. Some in their 20s, some older. Mine was 31, lasted several years, and we're still friends. Of the classmates who married older guys the minute they graduated, most are still married 40 years later (at least the ones who aren't widows) but most of the ones who married their high school sweethearts have long since gone their separate ways,

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm
High school in the 70s in the Deep South, and me and my friends all dated older guys. Some in their 20s, some older. Mine was 31, lasted several years, and we're still friends. Of the classmates who married older guys the minute they graduated, most are still married 40 years later (at least the ones who aren't widows) but most of the ones who married their high school sweethearts have long since gone their separate ways,

I’m guessing you weren’t 14? My daddy would’ve had his shotgun out if some 31 year old guy came to pick me up when I was in high school ( or college).

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm

I’m guessing you weren’t 14? My daddy would’ve had his shotgun out if some 31 year old guy came to pick me up when I was in high school ( or college).

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 pm

I went to high school in Texas, and my younger sister (16 at the time) dated a 24 YO guy with my parents' permission. They loved him. This was in 1978.

I'm thinking people would be giving it the side-eye today.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 pm

mmmirele wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 pm
I went to high school in Texas, and my younger sister (16 at the time) dated a 24 YO guy with my parents' permission. They loved him. This was in 1978.

I'm thinking people would be giving it the side-eye today.
A 24 y.o. man dating a 16 y.o. girl means only one thing to my parental eye: SEX.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 pm

New Yorker article about Roy Moore stalking teenage girls at the mall.

Several sources say he was banned from the mall.

First paragraph is interesting, he might not be so popular in his hometown.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... al_twitter
Locals Were Troubled by Roy Moore’s Interactions with Teen Girls at the Gadsden Mall

oy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate and former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, was born in Gadsden, a small city flanked by Interstate 59 and the Coosa River, an hour northeast of Birmingham. Gadsden is hilly, woodsy, blue-collar, and religious. “LEGAL OR NOT, SIN IS SIN,” a sign in front of a church announced yesterday. I saw it as I drove around, crisscrossing George Wallace Drive. I also saw Trump posters, Confederate flags, and dozens of signs for Doug Jones, the Democrat tied with Moore in recent Senate-race polls. Gadsden is the seat of Etowah County, which is a conservative place; Donald Trump received three times as many votes in the county as Hillary Clinton did. (Statewide, he received twice as many.) But I didn’t, in all my driving, see a single yard sign for Moore, the home-town son. Even the parking lot of the one mall in town had more bumper stickers for Luther Strange (four), Moore’s opponent in the Republican primary, than for Moore himself (one).

This past weekend, I spoke or messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly badgered teen-age girls. Some say that they heard this at the time, others in the years since. These people include five members of the local legal community, two cops who worked in the town, several people who hung out at the mall in the early eighties, and a number of former mall employees. (A request for comment from the Moore campaign was not answered.) Several of them asked that I leave their names out of this piece. The stories that they say they’ve heard for years have been swirling online in the days since the Post published its report. “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday. (Wilson declined to divulge his sources.) Teresa Jones, a deputy district attorney for Etowah County in the early eighties, told CNN last week that “it was common knowledge that Roy dated high-school girls.” Jones told me that she couldn’t confirm the alleged mall banning, but said, “It’s a rumor I’ve heard for years.”

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Al.com piles on.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/1 ... res_b.html
Gadsden locals say Moore's predatory behavior at mall, restaurants not a secret

Wendy Miller told The Post that she was 14 and working as Santa's helper at the Gadsden Mall in 1977 when Moore first spoke with her and told her she looked pretty. Two years later, when she was 16, he asked her out on dates, although her mother wouldn't let her go.

Usry, who was a teenager at the time, remembers seeing Moore at the mall often.

"He would go and flirt with all the young girls," he said. "It'd seem like every Friday or Saturday night (you'd see him) walking around the mall, like the kids did."

"Him liking and dating young girls was never a secret in Gadsden when we were all in high school," said Sheryl Porter. "In our neighborhoods up by Noccalula Falls we heard it all the time. Even people at the courthouse know it was a well-known secret.

"It's just sad how these girls (who accused Moore) are getting hammered and called liars, especially Leigh (Corfman)."

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm
DejaMoo, it sounds like you have had an above-average amount of fun.

Kudos. 8-)
Yeah, I did. But you know - I was so arrogant, and so sure that I could make, well... if not smart decisions for myself, at least acceptable decisions for myself. But in reality I was a fool. It wasn't until I grew up and was able to visualize being on the other side of that kind of age-imbalanced relationship that I acknowledged to myself just how idiotic I had been, how idiotic both of us had been.

And I discourage teens from making the same stupid decision I'd made. The way I put it to them: would you, as a teenager, be interested in going out with a kindergartner? (Yuk, no!) Well, no insult intended, guys, but that's what it's like when someone so much older than you wants to spend time with you. There's nothing wrong with you, but there's something wrong with that adult.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm

There is a rumor out that he was also banned from the local :ymca:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:03 pm

On June 6, (2014) the high court denied Sherman Fitzgerald Tate the opportunity for a second look in the case in which he was found guilty of sodomizing two teens at an alternative interventional school for troubled kids.

Tate, 37, was an employee and sometime mentor at the Mobile Youth Advocate Program, working with youths. And according to trial testimony in 2013, Tate used his position to molest two 15-year-old girls enrolled in the program.

However, in his dissent, Chief Justice Moore said he felt that if Tate's attorneys had been able to enter evidence of the girls' "romantic relationship," it might have shown their "alleged bias against Tate or their collusion." The possibility of cross-examining the victims about their relationship also could have produced relevant information to the defense, he wrote.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf ... ief_1.html

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm
There is a rumor out that he was also banned from the local :ymca:
That's in the New Yorker story:
“Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Montgomery Advertiser, Oct. 13, 2002

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Last week, I stepped in a dog turd on my way to work. Disgusting.

I feel more empathy for that dog's owner* than I do for Roy Moore. If there is any justice in the next world, Moore will be in the lane next to Sisyphus, pushing that damned Ten Commandments** monument uphill each day only to have it crash down to the bottom of the hill each night.

*I obviously have nothing against the dog herself. I hope that goes without saying.

**Fucking hypocrite.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:13 pm

He's toast I tell ya.....toast.

Roy Moore: birther, racist, misogynist and pedophile.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 pm

His gun is smaller than Trump's

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 pm
His gun is smaller than Trump's
Perhaps that explains his preference for vulnerable underage girls.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 pm

When someone rants on and on about gay marriage, homosexuality and LGBT things, I begin to think they are covering up something of their own. In Moore's case I'm beginning to think this is the case. I'm not saying he's gay, but I do think he has or had some sexual proclivities that he's hiding

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

A lot of men in their early 20s date older teenagers (16+). Not saying it's right or wrong but reality. Some parents don't mind. I've known some. In most cases I know personally, it was monogamous dating. Guy sees girl, likes her, asks her out, they go out for a while, months, maybe longer. In at least one case, they got married.

But I don't think that's comparable to this — a 30something deliberately seeking one-off encounters with very young girls, 14 (that we've heard of). Lurking around young people's haunts trying to find a mark. That's not a young guy being attracted to a too-young girl who's kind of sort of within his age range (when he's 36, she'll be 30 or 32). This is creepy.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm
A lot of men in their early 20s date older teenagers (16+). Not saying it's right or wrong but reality. Some parents don't mind. I've known some. In most cases I know personally, it was monogamous dating. Guy sees girl, likes her, asks her out, they go out for a while, months, maybe longer. In at least one case, they got married.

But I don't think that's comparable to this — a 30something deliberately seeking one-off encounters with very young girls, 14 (that we've heard of). Lurking around young people's haunts trying to find a mark. That's not a young guy being attracted to a too-young girl who's kind of sort of within his age range (when he's 36, she'll be 30 or 32). This is creepy.
When you get yourself kicked out of a mall for harassing teenage girls. . .

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:38 am

When I was 15 my science partner disappeared. Nobody thought it was suspicious so I just assumed she'd moved. (We weren't terribly close.) A few months later she returned. She and her 26 year old boyfriend had ran away together. It'd taken a while for her parents to find them, and when they did, he was arrested. She was furious and I'm sorry to say I was on her side. I thought she was old enough to know what she wanted.

My sister went to school with a girl who got pregnant when she was 12. Her baby daddy was in his 30s. Again nobody thought to report it.

Finally, my Freshman math teacher was fired my Junior year. He'd been carrying on an affair with a classmate for three years, since she was in her Freshman year. We were all furious with her because he was a good teacher, and we thought it was her fault for telling on him when it was clearly (to our thinking) something she wanted too.

1990s Oregon. Not so long ago.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 am

And if any of those men ran for political office and people knew what they did in the past, it would have cost them the election. The offices of Dog Catcher and Chief of Police excepted. I joined the Air Force in 1969 and the term "jail bait" was used to describe any girl under the age of 16.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 am

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 am
And if any of those men ran for political office and people knew what they did in the past, it would have cost them the election. The offices of Dog Catcher and Chief of Police excepted. I joined the Air Force in 1969 and the term "jail bait" was used to describe any girl under the age of 16.
That brings up an interesting point.

Moore was a graduate of West Point. He was an officer in Vietnam (a commander of an MP battalion).

No, he was not in combat, but since his own men tried to frag him, I suppose maybe he was a little PTSD.

He left the Army as soon as his five years service commitment was up and went to law school.

His time in the mall followed that.

There is something quite "off" about his history. I suspect that he was sexually immature and inexperienced.

Return to “U.S. Senate”