Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Alabama US Senate: Special Election December 12, 2017

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm

This picture has a phallic figure in the corner covered in plastic wrapping. Freudian?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Wow, Addie. What an article!! Makes one wonder how many of our current fundie members ofCongress are also fundamentally child abusers in the mold of Moore and the IFC and other churches, dunnit?

I’m past hoping that scandals will bring change, however. We’re down a new sort of rabbit hole now. :?
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm

I am not comfortable with this story being framed as "the four women who came forward". That is what is allowing people who didn't read the story to cast doubt on it. No fewer than thirty people who knew these women came forward first with stories about having a friend who told them years ago about their experiences with Roy Moore. And THEN the four women were contacted and three of them agreed to go on the record with their names. This really needs to be stressed because it is way different than just four women "coming forward". In addition to the friends and the women themselves telling their particular stories, Moore's coworkers, who may not have been aware of specific incidents, characterized his trawling for teenagers to have been "inappropriate", which was their word.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Of course you are correct, but if the floodgates open as may now be happening, it's not going to make any difference. And even the Turtle of the SenateTM now says he believes the accusers.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm
Of course you are correct, but if the floodgates open as may now be happening, it's not going to make any difference. And even the Turtle of the SenateTM now says he believes the accusers.
Yes, I see what you mean. I hope this is about to happen. It isn't possible that there are only four women who had encounters as teenagers with this pervert.
--- George W Bush

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm

SLQ wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm
bob wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:38 pm
DejaMoo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 pm
But I'm going to explain (or remind, for those who were around in those days) that things were different back then.
Moore turned 33 in 1980.
I was a teen in the early 80s, in rural America (though not the rural south). There is no way my parents would have allowed me to date a man in his 30s. No. Freaking. Way. (They didn't even like the guy I was dating who was the same age I was, although in hindsight that was for good reason.)
I and my cousins were teens in the 70s, in the Midwest.

My then 16 year-old big sister had one of her teachers phone my mom and ask permission to date her. Mom said No. She didn't think it was a good idea for a teacher to date a student.

A 17 year-old cousin was secretly dating a guy in his 30s. She dropped him once she found out he was married.

Another cousin at not quite 17 began a romance with one of her teachers. Her parents vehemently opposed it; she said if they didn't let her marry him, she'd run away and join the Marines. Her parents went to the school board, who said sorry, they couldn't do anything about what a teacher did in his personal life. They then went to the cops, who showed up at the teacher's house while my cousin was there. They asked, Are you being held against your will? She said, Don't be silly! The cops told her parents there was nothing they could do.

I had just turned 15 when I arranged to meet a guy twenty years older. He fit my profile of the kind of guy I wanted to have sex with for the first time, so I sought him out. And yeah, we did have sex. We had a very fun time for about six weeks, then stopped because it was illegal. But the following year, the state legislature lowered the age of consent to 16, and we started right up again. We continued to get together intermittently for the next twenty-five years or so.

I was dating another guy in his mid-thirties when I was 18. My older sister (who had a crush on him, but I didn't realize that at the time) had an absolute fit and went to my mom, "She's only 18! He's too old for her!" Mom: "She's 18. She can do what she wants."

I took pains to maintain my loser/nerd image as a teen, because it worked powerfully to my advantage. All the adults saw me as serious and responsible, and would never, never believe that I was up to anything naughty. So I had a lot of freedom. :-D

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:02 pm

SLQ wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm
I was a teen in the early 80s, in rural America (though not the rural south). There is no way my parents would have allowed me to date a man in his 30s. No. Freaking. Way. (They didn't even like the guy I was dating who was the same age I was, although in hindsight that was for good reason.)
I graduated from an Iowa high school in '71 and it was the same back then. I remember a couple girls, at least age 17, who might have a dated a recent high school graduate but that was it. Good girls did not date adult men. Ewwww. Creepy.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 am
Mitch McConnell says he believes the accusers. It's not going to be easy for Moore after he gets sworn in.
Over/under on 67 Senate votes to expel [Sen.] Moore?

If Moore is expelled, the governor could appoint Strange. Or Sessions.
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 pm

IF Moore wins the election, the Republicans will be delighted to shore up their majority by seating him. No problem. And, just as they wouldn't let Elizabeth Warren read Coretta King's letter about Jeff Sessions, once Moore is seated they won't allow anyone to breathe a word about his pedophilia.

If Moore loses the election, the Republicans will deny that this is a rejection of Trumpism, they'll pin all the blame on this scandal.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Poor broke-ass AL is already struggling to pay for this special election. If Moore gets elected then immediately expelled, I'll have a little inappropriate glee at them having to foot the bill for another one!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... enate-race
Poll: Democrat leads Roy Moore in Alabama Senate race

Democrat Doug Jones is leading Republican Roy Moore in Alabama's Senate race in the wake of explosive accusations of sexual misconduct against Moore, according to a new poll released Sunday.

Forty-six percent of likely voters polled said they would vote for Jones, while 42 percent said they would vote for Moore, according to the Louisiana-based JMC Analytics and Polling.

The survey was conducted on Nov. 9 and Nov. 11, after The Washington Post reported that a woman said Moore had initiated a sexual encounter with her in 1979, when she was 14 years old and he was 32.

In RealClearPolitics's average of polls, Moore was leading by 6 points prior to the Post report. A Friday poll, the first following the scandal, found Moore and Jones tied.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm

DejaMoo, it sounds like you have had an above-average amount of fun.

Kudos. 8-)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm
I am not comfortable with this story being framed as "the four women who came forward". That is what is allowing people who didn't read the story to cast doubt on it. No fewer than thirty people who knew these women came forward first with stories about having a friend who told them years ago about their experiences with Roy Moore. And THEN the four women were contacted and three of them agreed to go on the record with their names. This really needs to be stressed because it is way different than just four women "coming forward". In addition to the friends and the women themselves telling their particular stories, Moore's coworkers, who may not have been aware of specific incidents, characterized his trawling for teenagers to have been "inappropriate", which was their word.
Actually, the women did NOT come forward. The Washington Post reporter sought them out. Only then, did they tell their stories.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm

noblepa wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 pm
RVInit wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm
Actually, the women did NOT come forward. The Washington Post reporter sought them out. Only then, did they tell their stories.
Yes, my understanding is that they were contacted (by the Washington Post reporter).
--- George W Bush

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Fundie children are taught from an early age not to venture outside the protective circle, that danger lurks in the hearts of anyone who’s not a member of their religion/clan/tribe. Habits of distrust are very hard to break. ETA I doubt any of the women would have come forward on their own.

You can bet that the Moore episodes are, at this very moment, affecting the current generation too. I hope against hope there are enough disaffected women to at least start conversations within their communities.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Randomeis

Post by Randomeis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Reporting from the trenches of AL, a lot of us are hopeful but not optimistic.
We've all watched family fall farther and deeper into this void where no information can reach them.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm

These stories are literally making me sick to my stomach. The latest victim to go public, however, kept a note he sent her when she was 15.
Moore's note.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm

You are really an awful person when you aren't moral enough to be a Senator.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Not to worry about a second special election.

If Republican Moore gets elected, the Republican-majority Senate will seat him as if he were the inventor of the cure for cancer. And the Republican-majority would keep him from being expelled. Frankly the Republicans have been short of sex scandals that involved heterosexuality.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Moore fathered a child during that time period with a teenager?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm

I applaud Beverly Young Nelson's courage. There will be others.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:06 pm

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/ ... son-244849
NEW YORK — An Alabama woman said Senate candidate Roy Moore sexually assaulted her when she was 16 years old in 1977, becoming the fifth woman to go on record to accuse Moore of misconduct with them when they were young.

Appearing with attorney Gloria Allred at a news conference here on Monday, Beverly Young Nelson recounted how Moore, now 70, assaulted her when she was a waitress at a restaurant that the then-district attorney of Etowah County frequented.

Fighting through tears, Nelson recounted how one night, Moore forced himself on her in his car behind the restaurant in Gadsden.

:snippity:
“At some point he gave up,” she continued. “And he then looked at me, and he told me, he said, ‘You’re just a child, and I am the district attorney of Etowah County, and if you tell anyone about this, no one will ever believe you.” :snippity:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm
I applaud Beverly Young Nelson's courage. There will be others.
Yes, I think this hasn't been discussed as much as it should be. All of these women put their names and faces to their stories. AFAIK, they all still live in Alabama. God only knows the death threats and harassment they have been subjected to and likely will be for the rest of their lives.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm

50 pastors sign letter of support for Roy Moore
Kayla Moore, wife of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, shared a letter on Facebook indicating support from more than 50 Alabama pastors.

In their letter, the pastors said Moore was an "immovable rock in the culture wars," and has met attacks with a "rare unconquerable resolve."

After the letter was published on AL.com, Tijuanna Adetunji of the Fresh Anointing House of Worship in Montgomery, said she was not contacted about the letter and did not give permission for her name to be used.

"I was not asked about this story or allegations," Adetunji said.
This is what you get when you make your politics part of your religion.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm
This is what you get when you make your politics part of your religion.
I'd call it making a bargain with the devil so to get into heaven. Somehow it's just wrong.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Return to “U.S. Senate”