Tennessee US Senate 2018

Addie

Tennessee US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm

The Tennessean
Sen. Bob Corker will not seek re-election next year

Sen. Bob Corker said Tuesday he will not seek re-election next year.

“After much thought, consideration and family discussion over the past year, Elizabeth and I have decided that I will leave the United States Senate when my term expires at the end of 2018,” the Chattanooga Republican said in a statement.

“When I ran for the Senate in 2006, I told people that I couldn’t imagine serving for more than two terms. Understandably, as we have gained influence, that decision has become more difficult. But I have always been drawn to the citizen legislator model, and while I realize it is not for everyone, I believe with the kind of service I provide, it is the right one for me.

“I also believe the most important public service I have to offer our country could well occur over the next 15 months, and I want to be able to do that as thoughtfully and independently as I did the first 10 years and nine months of my Senate career.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: Tennessee US Senate 2018

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:12 pm

April 16 2017

USA Today
Nashville attorney, Iraq War vet announces Democratic run for Corker's Senate seat

James Mackler, a Nashville attorney and Iraq War veteran, will on Monday become the first Tennessee Democrat to announce plans to run in 2018 for the state's U.S. Senate seat held by U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tennessee.

Mackler highlighted his military background repeatedly in a news release provided to The USA Today Network - Tennessee ahead of the formal announcement, saying he's "running to restore respect, honesty, and most importantly, integrity in Washington."

“Our country has become so divided that our leaders refuse to work together to solve our most important problems," Mackler said in a statement. "As a veteran, I know first hand the strength of teamwork, cooperation, and the benefits of diversity to accomplish even the most difficult mission."

Mackler, 44, recently practiced law at Frost Brown Todd LLC and Bone McAllester Norton, PLLC, both in Nashville. He's worked in criminal law and more recently has specialized in legal issues involving unmanned aircraft systems, or drones, by providing businesses legal advice on their use.

Before those stints, Mackler spent three years as a Blackhawk helicopter pilot with the 101st Airborne Division, according to a news release from his campaign, after he had put aside his legal work for the Army in 2001 following the attacks on 9/11. His military service included a deployment to Iraq.
Campaign Website

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Fox News got it wrong and said he was a Senator from Texas... de minimis? :lol:
Corker Texas.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:03 pm

The Hill
Blackburn says she's interested in Corker's seat

Minutes after learning that Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) won’t seek reelection, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) told The Hill on Tuesday she’s considering running for his Senate seat in 2018.

“Yes,” Blackburn said when asked if she's taking a look at the Senate race.

Blackburn said colleagues told her about Corker's retirement during votes on the House floor. The Senate Foreign Relations chairman did not give his delegation any advance notice of his decision, lawmakers said.

“I know he's going to be missed,” Blackburn said of Corker, noting that the senator and former Chattanooga mayor has dedicated his life to public service.

Tennessee Republicans said Blackburn would be the favorite to replace Corker, especially since another veteran House lawmaker, Budget Committee Chairwoman Diane Black (R-Tenn.), has already announced she's running for governor next year.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am

Associated Press
Democrat Bredesen confirms interest in Tennessee Senate race

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Former Gov. Phil Bredesen, the last Democrat to win a statewide race in Tennessee, is considering a bid to succeed retiring Republican Bob Corker in the U.S. Senate.

In a statement Monday to The Associated Press, Bredesen said he is mulling an entry into the race after several people urged him to reconsider his initial statements that he had no interest in running.

“In the days ahead, I’m going to do some research, talk with people and carefully think this through,” he said. “I’ll make a decision quickly.”

Bredesen, 73, is a wealthy former Nashville mayor who was first elected governor in 2002. He had largely withdrawn from politics and public life since completing his second term in early 2011.

¡Qué vergüenza!

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Former Gov. Phil Bredesen, the last Democrat to win a statewide race in Tennessee, is considering a bid to succeed retiring Republican Bob Corker in the U.S. Senate.

In a statement Monday to The Associated Press, Bredesen said he is mulling an entry into the race after several people urged him to reconsider his initial statements that he had no interest in running.

“In the days ahead, I’m going to do some research, talk with people and carefully think this through,” he said. “I’ll make a decision quickly.”

Bredesen, 73, is a wealthy former Nashville mayor who was first elected governor in 2002. He had largely withdrawn from politics and public life since completing his second term in early 2011.
Don't know anything about this race or its dynamics, but Bredesen's 73. IMO, we need to be fielding younger candidates.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 pm

June bug wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm
Addie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am
Associated Press

Don't know anything about this race or its dynamics, but Bredesen's 73. IMO, we need to be fielding younger candidates.
Yep, that was my first thought when I read that.

Am I being detained?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Bredesen was a popular mayor and governor who transcended partisan politics. He could probably beat Blackburn, but he will get attacked on Tenncare (though many other people were to blame) and not sure how much of that he's willing to put up with. He was on the short list for HHS when Obama was elected, but they ultimately went with Sebelius, again because of Tenncare.

Alexander (the other senator) is also a former governor. Another possibility is McWherter (son of another former governor), he ran against Haslam in the last gubernatorial race.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Is today's 73 the new 53?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 am

It is if you’re rich as Croesus.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am

:sterngard:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am
:sterngard:
Stern should run!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 am

He doesn't want to represent Commodore Fitzfundfilcher in Congress. :lol:

"Hold mah bier." - Jomas Thefferson

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

Why would I want to work where I would be surrounded by 50 assholes?

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am
Why would I want to work where I would be surrounded by 50 assholes?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 pm

The Hill
Cook Political Report shifts Tennessee Senate race to toss-up

The Cook Political Report, a top nonpartisan election handicapper, changed its election rating for Tennessee’s Senate race to a toss-up following former Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen (D) launching his bid for the seat.

Bredesen, who served as the last Democratic governor of the state, was a top recruit for Democrats in the race to replace Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), a President Trump surrogate-turned-critic who won’t seek reelection in 2018.

Bredesen won his first term as governor in 2002 and handily won reelection in 2006 with 69 percent of the vote, winning every county in Tennessee.

He officially jumped into the Senate race Thursday morning with an online video, arguing that he has the “actual track record that it will take to start working across party lines, to fix the mess in Washington and bring common sense back to our government.” ...

And any Democrat who wins the nomination would have an uphill climb against a Republican in Tennessee, which hasn’t elected a Democrat to the upper chamber since 1990.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “U.S. Senate”