FL-16 Joe Newman

mimi

FL-16 Joe Newman

Post by mimi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 am

He's 101. And he'd have my vote.

Aged 101 and worried about the future of the country: Centurion to run for Congress.. although he wouldn't be oldest ever member if elected

Joe Newman says he is fighting for the 16th Congressional District seat

By Anna Edwards

PUBLISHED: 05:59 EST, 19 February 2014 | UPDATED: 08:30 EST, 19 February 2014

'You had the same attitudes; we don't want government involved. And they forget what government is, they forget that government is society's tool to manage things.'

He told WFLA: 'You learn through life you have certain responsibilities. And if you don't fulfill them, how can you look in the mirror?'

By running he hopes to raise awareness of issues and force the government into properly funding Social Security, increasing Medicare, and eliminating poverty.

'If people are saying, who is this fool at 101 and running? Call me a fool. I'm sorry, but I've got to get out and convince John and convince Jim, hey think!' he told WFLA.

'What is the best thing our society can do and what is the responsibility of our society?'[/break1]dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562840/Aged-101-worried-future-country-Centurion-run-Congress.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gress.html

World's oldest freshman? 101-year-old Fla. man seeks House seat

By Cooper Allen February 20, 2014 7:02 am ET Follow @coopallen

Newman’s age isn’t the only unique part of his biography. In an interview with USA TODAY, Newman says his parents, who disagreed with the czar of Russia, were exiled to Siberia around the turn of the 20th century. They were later allowed to leave and came to the United States around 1902 or 1903, he says.

While this is his first run for public office, this isn’t his first foray into public policy. Newman says he was hired by the Social Security Administration in the 1930s to go out to explain the new federal entitlement program “to whoever would listen.”

He would later advocate on behalf of the mentally handicapped while living in South Bend., Ind., after he and his wife had a daughter who was born with disabilities. He says his proudest achievement was his work to establish a guardianship program within the Logan Center, a school for the mentally handicapped, which he and his wife helped found.Why now? He says he wants to be able to discuss issues — for instance, he doesn’t think the Affordable Care Act went far enough — and says he feels a certain responsibility.[/break1]usatoday.com/2014/02/20/101-year-old-joe-newman-congress-florida/]http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/02/ ... s-florida/

A 101-Year-Old Man Is Running For Congress In Florida

Entitlements? Newman worked for the Social Security Administration in the 1930s, telling USA Today he helped explain the program “to whoever would listen.”

Russia? Newman's parents were exiled to Siberia by the czar around the beginning of the 20th century.

In an interview with television station WFLA, he described himself as an "Anthropological Progressive." As a long-shot challenger to Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL), Newman has identified the expansion of Medicaid and combating poverty as two of his top issues.

"If people are saying, who is this fool at 101 and running? Call me a fool. I'm sorry, but I've got to get out and convince John and convince Jim, hey think! What is the best thing our society can do and what is the responsibility of our society?" Newman told WFLA.

Here's Joe's twitter account:

[/break1]com/JoeNewman101]https://twitter.com/JoeNewman101

edit. fixed topic title.

Patagoniagirl

FL-16 Joe Newman

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 pm

This is wonderful. He is.running as.a.write-in candidate.against Vern Buchanan, a.life-long.good old boy who has skated along on his.good old boy connections and.cowtowed to.his special interest cronies for.decades. Joe.is running in the district where I am registered to vote! I will be contacting him.

Patagoniagirl

FL-16 Joe Newman

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:59 pm

About Vern:[/break1]crewsmostcorrupt.org/mostcorrupt/entry/vern-buchanan]http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/mostcor ... n-buchanan

Return to “florida”