Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Justice Scalia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 pm 

Can we have a thread devoted to the absurd things that this jerk says?

one of his latest:

Quote:
This past Monday, when speaking at Princeton University, Justice Scalia of the U.S. Supreme Court made a grotesque and astonishing statement. In response to a student’s question about his unyielding support of laws that would ban consensual sexual relations between gay people, even in the privacy of their own homes, Justice Scalia responded, “If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder?”

Right on, Mr. Sulu.

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-e ... -mr-scalia

More:

Quote:
Speaking at Princeton University, Scalia was asked by a gay student why he equates laws banning sodomy with those barring bestiality and murder.

"I don't think it's necessary, but I think it's effective," Scalia said, adding that legislative bodies can ban what they believe to be immoral.

Scalia has been giving speeches around the country to promote his new book, "Reading Law," and his lecture at Princeton comes just days after the court agreed to take on two cases that challenge the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

Some in the audience who had come to hear Scalia speak about his book applauded but more of those who attended the lecture clapped at freshman Duncan Hosie's question.

"It's a form of argument that I thought you would have known, which is called the `reduction to the absurd,'" Scalia told Hosie of San Francisco during the question-and-answer period. "If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 74413.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:11 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
Since homosexuality is not a choice, Justice Scalia can also feel moral outrage, I suppose, at black people, or other minorities.

The man is Robert Bork lite. Not quite as smart as he thinks he is, either.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

Post subject: Re: Justice Scalia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:19 pm 

I can understand outlawing Murder. Passing laws against Love is a completely different matter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 pm 

Chilidog wrote:
Quote:
Speaking at Princeton University, Scalia was asked by a gay student why he equates laws banning sodomy with those barring bestiality and murder.

"I don't think it's necessary, but I think it's effective," Scalia said, adding that legislative bodies can ban what they believe to be immoral.

Scalia has been giving speeches around the country to promote his new book, "Reading Law," and his lecture at Princeton comes just days after the court agreed to take on two cases that challenge the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

Some in the audience who had come to hear Scalia speak about his book applauded but more of those who attended the lecture clapped at freshman Duncan Hosie's question.

"It's a form of argument that I thought you would have known, which is called the `reduction to the absurd,'" Scalia told Hosie of San Francisco during the question-and-answer period. "If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things?"

Yes Scalia you just made a case against your own claim. Comparing homosexuality to beastiality or murder is a reduction to the absurd logical fallacy.

May 2014 Philadelphia Boogiethon

Reality Check Radio
Reality Check Radio Facebook Page

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Since homosexuality is not a choice, Justice Scalia can also feel moral outrage, I suppose, at black people, or other minorities.

Lord knows I am no Scalia fan, but I'm tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt here, as his question strikes me as one that a law professor might pose in order to drive home a point.

It seems to me, the next step would be to say, OK, one can have "moral feelings'" about homosexuality. But of course we're free to have whatever feelings we may have -- one may, for example, have "moral feelings" about interracial marriage, or left-handedness, or male pattern baldness, or dark skin. The question is, to what extent is it appropriate for those "moral feelings" to have an influence when legislating? When judging? I don't claim to know how Scalia would answer those questions, but I think such a conversation would be proceeding in the right directon.

Now, his comment wasn't made in the context of a law class, and I wouldn't put it past the old fool to be deliberately provocative. Still, I don't think what he said was deserving of quite the opprobrium it's been getting in some quarters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm 

MaineSkeptic wrote:
It seems to me, the next step would be to say, OK, one can have "moral feelings'" about homosexuality. But of course we're free to have whatever feelings we may have -- one may, for example, have "moral feelings" about interracial marriage, or left-handedness, or male pattern baldness, or dark skin. The question is, to what extent is it appropriate for those "moral feelings" to have an influence when legislating? When judging? I don't claim to know how Scalia would answer those questions, but I think such a conversation would be proceeding in the right directon.

One can have moral feelings, for example, that one's religious beliefs are correct and that those of a competing faith (or lacking religious belief entirely) are wrong or misguided. Can one, as a judge, pretend to be a neutral arbiter when taking those moral feelings into consideration when ruling on cases involving the rights of those people, while purportedly being a life-tenured judge sworn to uphold the Constitution of that country, which prohibits such feelings of personal malice and hatred from overruling the law?

I don't think so.

I think there are two important things about his dissent in Lawrence v. Texas. The first is that Scalia is, in fact, correct in arguing that the majority's reasoning (and more strongly that of O'Connor's concurrence) cannot be taken seriously without the inevitable result of taking it to its consequence, marriage equality.

The second is that his personal malice and religious-based prejudice against the group should disqualify him from ruling on its members. He seemed to have a keyboard macro for the phrase "homosexual sodomy" and repeatedly and viciously characterized the parties in the case in a manner inconsistent with the even-handed administration of justice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 pm 

In case there's any doubt, I agree that's what his record shows. I just think too much is being read specifically into that one Princeton comment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:45 pm 

MaineSkeptic wrote:
In case there's any doubt, I agree that's what his record shows. I just think too much is being read specifically into that one Princeton comment.

I don't think it stands out particularly among his other repugnant and bigoted statements. At least, unlike many of those, it is not in a judicial opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
Race. Itsa. Locator.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm 

Being simple myself, this seems simple enough to me.

I might be in favor of decriminalizing murder between consenting adults.

At the same time, I'm in favor of enforcing criminal laws against forced sodomy.

Beastiality is a tougher question, though. Had the monkey reached the age of consent? Was it horny? Did it lead the human on? Did it say no?

But more to the point, was the monkey sufficiently sentient to be capable of trouncing Orly Taitz in a motions hearing?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

The man is Robert Bork lite. Not quite as smart as he thinks he is, either.

Bingo.

I proudly remember a moment from law school during a course I took on the Supreme Court. Some conservative windbag in class said this about Scalia that I remember verbatim: "Maybe you don't agree with everything he says, but you at least have to admire him because you know exactly where he stands." I raised my hand. The prof nodded at me. "He's a judge, not a politician. The fact that you know exactly where he stands on the issues before him is exactly what makes him a terrible judge, not an admirable one." (I'd like to remember I got applause for that one-liner but that wouldn't make sense for the class environment. So, I applaud myself instead.) :D

The fact is that Scalia is a hypocrite, and as Stern observes, he's not nearly as smart as he or conservative intellectuals peg him as being. His claims to being an "originalist" and to having any"principles of judicial philosophy" whatsoever are a load of provably false bunk. He violates his own principles on a routine basis and whenever it suits his politically and culturally conservative emotions. Again, this behavior is exactly the opposite of what a good judge does.

"Tarring and feathering were constitutional when the 8th Amendment was passed, so that punishment should be constitutional today also!", he declares. How much do you want to bet that if you argue to him, "The Second Amendment only contemplated that the right to bear arms applied to Remounted Hessian Muskets manufactured in the year 1776!", he'd laugh you out of his courtroom?

Hypocritical douchebag. Worst justice on the Supreme Court and yes that includes Thomas.

"What part of 'second' don't you understand?" -Judge Morrison England

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 am 

Scalia... running off at the mouth... again... or still.

From Politico

Quote:
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia says the Constitution is “dead, dead, dead,” rather than a “living document.”

“It’s not a living document,” Scalia said on Monday while speaking at Dallas-based Southern Methodist University, according to a report from the Dallas Morning News. “It’s dead, dead, dead.”

[...]

“The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge,” Scalia said.

Scalia, a Reagan appointee, noted that he has not “expressed my views” on gay marriage and gun control, the report said. :^o

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/s ... z2JN7EZctv

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 am 

So, in other words, he is engaging in politics again.

A judge who announces what his decision will be before a case is even presented to him is a bad judge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am 

I never noticed this thread before today. IANAL, but my intuitive reaction to Scalia is always :sick: It probably won't happen, but I'd be incredibly happy if he resigned in the next year or so. Then Obama would have the opportunity to replace a significant blight on SCOTUS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:59 pm 

ProudObot wrote:
I never noticed this thread before today. IANAL, but my intuitive reaction to Scalia is always :sick: It probably won't happen, but I'd be incredibly happy if he resigned in the next year or so. Then Obama would have the opportunity to replace a significant blight on SCOTUS.

From the Supreme Court Vacancy Watch thread:
Joseph Robidoux III wrote:
I strongly suspect that Justice Scalia has already issued orders that in the event of a dehabiliting stroke, his clerks are to strap him to a la-z-boy and wheel his ass into the courtroom. Those orders will lapse when a Republican lives in the White House.
viewtopic.php?p=285939#p285939

kimba wrote:
They'll carry Nino out in a body bag. :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=441156#p441156

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 pm 

Nino is healthy and stubborn. He would literally allow himself to die in open court rather than resign while a Democrat is in the White House. That's generally true of most of the justices, in fairness. Even O'Connor begrudgingly stepped down during the Bush administration.

I can't remember if I've told the anecdote here before but I've met O'Connor on a few occasions, and on my first meeting I told her in an admittedly melodramatic fashion, "Justice O'Connor, I want you to know that the nation misses you tremendously on the bench." Her response was to look at me with sympathy and state, "Tell me about it." (She then tried to sign the book I'd brought with a crappy pen I had, for which she lectured me for a few seconds. Most hilarious, cute, and awesome moment with a famous person I've ever had.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm 

I'm going to need a new desk to bang my head on.

Antonin Scalia: The Constitution is 'dead'

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm 

DaveMuckey wrote:
I'm going to need a new desk to bang my head on.

Antonin Scalia: The Constitution is 'dead'

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=8715&view=unread#p470941

:D

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm 

I do not believe the Framers whom Scalia purports to worship intended to deliver a stillborn, dead document to the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm 

A Legal Lohengrin wrote:
I do not believe the Framers whom Scalia purports to worship intended to deliver a stillborn, dead document to the world.

This is why Scalia is a justice, not a politician.

This is possibly one of the worst public statements he's issued in support of his judicial philosophy in his career. He should shut up and stick to writing angry, rude dissents.

I will note here that Scalia does not actually comply with what he claims to be his judicial philosophy. But I digress.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm 

Talk about projection, Nino. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm 

Scalia was pretending to be Sir Thomas Moore at the inauguration

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 pm 

Chilidog wrote:
Scalia was pretending to be Sir Thomas Moore at the inauguration

Well, to Catholics, that's St. Thomas More. Thinks rather highly of himself, doesn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 pm 

St. Thomas More was also a good man, rather unlike the fool imitating him.

His "utopia" was a horror, however. Religious freedom (except for the non-religious) but no political freedom.

There are as many good things about civilization as bad. Perhaps more. And we would miss them. From toothbrushes to electric lights. From clean water to democracy. From bookstores to the kind of gentle, tolerant argumentation that never resorts to violence and allows for the slow changing of opinions...and the gradual and diverse evolving of everybody's minds.
The core of what we now know that it means to be civilized.
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (1959), Foreword by David Brin (June 2005)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 pm 

Antonin Scalia makes the White house petitions list.
White House Petitions wrote:
Call for the Impeachment of Justice Antonin Scalia for violating the oath of the office.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... e/JG77rft2

I thought about it (for a second) but decided not to sign it.