Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm 

A Rmoney electoral college win would have scared the bejeezus out of me. The thought of Robert Bork, or some other RWNJ, proposing one or more Supreme Court nominees to the President would have been disastrous. During Pres Obama's second term I believe there is a good chance for one or more vacancies on the court.

Four of the justices are presently over 74 years old.

Justice.............................................Date Of Birth
Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg........1933/03/15
Associate Justice Antonin Scalia...............1936/03/11
Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy............1936/07/23
Associate Justice Stephen Breyer..............1938/08/15
Associate Justice Clarence Thomas...........1948/06/23
Associate Justice Samuel Alito................1950/04/01
Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor...........1954/06/25
Chief Justice John Roberts....................1955/01/27
Associate Justice Elena Kagan................1960/04/28
http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx

Both Ginsburg and Breyer were nominated by a Democratic president. If they each prefer another Democratic president name their successor both may announce their retirement prior to 2016.
Charlotte Observer wrote:
Ginsburg, for one, has hinted that she intends to match the court tenure of the late Justice Louis Brandeis, a goal that, if held to, would have her retiring in 2015. That’s within the next presidential term.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/1 ... s-may.html

Nothing has changed since Sept 5, 2011 regarding Justice Scalia when I wrote the following:
Joseph Robidoux III wrote:
I strongly suspect that Justice Scalia has already issued orders that in the event of a dehabiliting stroke, his clerks are to strap him to a la-z-boy and wheel his ass into the courtroom. Those orders will lapse when a Republican lives in the White House.
viewtopic.php?p=285939#p285939

The following appeared in the New York Daily News July 6, 2010 about Justice Kennedy.
NY Daily News wrote:
Justice Kennedy, who turns 74 this month, has told relatives and friends he plans to stay on the high court for at least three more years - through the end of Obama's first term, sources said.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-07 ... swing-vote

Ginsburg and Breyer may both decide to retire during the next four years. Scalia retiring during Pres Obama's second term is nothing more than wishful thinking. Kennedy will probably hold out for a possible Republican elected President in 2016 but he could surprise us. The others should be around for a number of years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm 

Scalia will have Chief Justice Roberts name him as an eternal Justice. He is DEFINATELY not going anywhere before January of 2016. I pray we can piggy back another Dem into the Presidency in 2016. THAT will be the big term, as far as naming replacements for the right wingers on the Court

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 pm 
They'll carry Nino out in a body bag. :lol:

I think Justices Ginsberg and Kennedy will retire within 3 years. I thought when CJ Roberts started having seizures he'd have to retire early, but apparently no such luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm 

I agree. Scalia will be like Rehnquist holding out until the literal end. I also think Kennedy will be carried out completely mummified. That just leaves Breyer and Ginsburg.

"Your politics have no relation to morals."-
Niccolo Machiavelli to the Tea Party

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:51 pm 

Occupation: World-class procrastinator and perpetual late-bloomer.
I believe that Ginsberg will probably resign shortly. I would be surprised if this is not her last term on the court, and I fully expect that she will announce her retirement no later than mid-February.

"And with the advent of LexisNexis and WestLaw, there is no more need for attorneys to spend hours researching. The relevant case law simply comes straight to the computer, ready to be copied to a word processor."
--Larry "Leisure Suit" Klayman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 pm 

I'd bet against the popular opinion. Ginsburg (by choice) and Scalia (not by choice) out and replaced before end of next Presidential term

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 pm 

Adrianinflorida wrote:
Scalia will have Chief Justice Roberts name him as an eternal Justice. He is DEFINATELY not going anywhere before January of 2016.

Unless he is an immortal, I don't think anyone can say that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:57 pm 

The thought of mittwitt picking scotus justices was one of the most frightening parts of this election. That he's not going to is extremely important.

Having a refreshed Senate with the Dem pickups should make it easier to get Obama's nominees through. It should also help to pick up some speed getting other federal judges into all those vacancies. That is a big deal not for just now, but long into the future since that is often a training ground/pool for SCOTUS. Too, those are the courts where a lot of our everyday case law is made which never makes it to SCOTUS but makes a lot of different in our lives.

This will be as important as anything else Obama does and will be a big part of his legacy.

A Legal Lohengrin wrote:
Adrianinflorida wrote:
Scalia will have Chief Justice Roberts name him as an eternal Justice. He is DEFINATELY not going anywhere before January of 2016.

Unless he is an immortal, I don't think anyone can say that.

True. They could probably get away with a taxidermied Thomas for a little while without arousing too much suspicion, but a silent Scalia would definitely spark some immediate concern.

"And with the advent of LexisNexis and WestLaw, there is no more need for attorneys to spend hours researching. The relevant case law simply comes straight to the computer, ready to be copied to a word processor."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:02 pm 

There's one possibility no one has mentioned. There is a justice I think we would all like to see replaced who may be pressured to resign due to inappropriate activities by him and/or his spouse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm 

esseff44 wrote:
There's one possibility no one has mentioned. There is a justice I think we would all like to see replaced who may be pressured to resign due to inappropriate activities by him and/or his spouse.

That's a pipe dream. It would be nice, but it's not ever gonna happen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:13 pm 

esseff44 wrote:

I don't see Justice Ruckus going anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 pm 

My prayers are with Scalia (not by choice).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

Mikedunford wrote:
True. They could probably get away with a taxidermied Thomas for a little while without arousing too much suspicion, but a silent Scalia would definitely spark some immediate concern.

How do we know that hasn't already happened?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:57 pm 

Mikedunford wrote:
=)) =))
Hey, it's been done with smarter men than Thomas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:35 pm 

This is not ADT but I think there is a good chance that Clarence Thomas will suffer a massive heart attack or stroke sometime in the near future. I am not being mean but he is a heavily overweight angry bitter black man and that does not do well when it comes to blood pressure. Black males have a much lower life expectancy than do black females and even more so white females for instance (that is why social security is still solvent) I would not be at all surprised if he is not already on some heavy medication to ward something off.

Of course if the scenario involved a wetsuit and some dildos then of course that would just be a bonus.

http://crittersbybritty.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm 

John Thomas8 wrote:
The thought of mittwitt picking scotus justices was one of the most frightening parts of this election. That he's not going to is extremely important.

Yes, this is the one thing that worried me most too. Thank the FSM for Obama's victory on many points, but especially on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:29 am 

Mikedunford wrote:
I believe that Ginsberg will probably resign shortly. I would be surprised if this is not her last term on the court, and I fully expect that she will announce her retirement no later than mid-February.

In addition to Justice Ginsburg stating she wants to match the tenure of former Justice Brandeis, Ginsburg also stated she is looking forward to the return of a portrait that is on loan somewhere. She knows when she can have it back and is looking forward to it again hanging in her office.

Found it:
answers.com wrote:
With the retirement of John Paul Stevens in 2010, Ginsburg became, at 77 years of age, the eldest justice on the Court.[36] Despite rumors she would retire as a result of old age, poor health, and the death of her husband,[37][38] she denied she was planning to step down. In an August 2010 interview, Ginsburg stated that the Court's work was helping her cope with the death of her husband and suggested she would serve until at least 2012 when a painting that used to hang in her office is due to be returned to her.[36] She also expressed a wish to emulate Justice Louis Brandeis, who retired at 82,[36] an age that Ginsburg would attain in 2015.

•36^ a b c Sherman, Mark (August 3, 2010). "Ginsburg says no plans to leave Supreme Court". Boston Globe. Associated Press. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... eme_court/. Retrieved February 13, 2011.
•37^ de Vogue, Ariana (February 4, 2010). "White House Prepares for Possibility of 2 Supreme Court Vacancies". ABC. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Supreme_ ... 077&page=1. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
•38^ "At Supreme Court, no one rushes into retirement". USA Today. July 13, 2008. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... tion_N.htm. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
http://www.answers.com/topic/ruth-bader-ginsburg

Not exactly the NY Times but you take what you can get sometimes.

The portrait may already be back in her office.
Boston Globe wrote:
She mentioned a painting that usually hangs in her office by the German emigre artist Josef Albers. The painting is part of a traveling exhibition and is supposed to be returned in 2012.

"If anyone asks how long I'll be here, at least until my Albers comes back," she said.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... eme_court/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 pm 

Mikedunford wrote:

Based on Justice Ginsburg's earlier comments I believe she plans on staying on the court until the end of the 2014-2015 term.
San Diego Union-Tribune on Feb 8, 2013 wrote:
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is approaching her 80th birthday, but after almost two decades on the court she indicated Friday she has no plans of slowing down.

“I will stay in this job as long as I can do it full steam,” Ginsburg said during an hourlong appearance before the San Diego Association of Business Trial Lawyers.
<snipped>

She said Friday that she was hopeful that someday soon the partisan battles over court nominees will fade.[fat chance]
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb ... san-diego/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:59 pm 

Litlebritdifrnt2 wrote:
This is not ADT but I think there is a good chance that Clarence Thomas will suffer a massive heart attack or stroke sometime in the near future. I am not being mean but he is a heavily overweight angry bitter black man and that does not do well when it comes to blood pressure. Black males have a much lower life expectancy than do black females and even more so white females for instance (that is why social security is still solvent) I would not be at all surprised if he is not already on some heavy medication to ward something off.

Of course if the scenario involved a wetsuit and some dildos then of course that would just be a bonus.

Lets face it, they could have him sitting there on massive doses of Xanax for the blood pressure and who would notice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:01 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
The death rate of black men is higher at any given age not for genetic reasons but because many of these men don't have access to adequate medical care. That is not the case with Clarence Thomas.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:48 pm 

Can a naturalized citizen be appointed to the Supreme Court? From looking around, no age, experience, or citizenship rules exist...If that's the case, where can a petition be filed to demand Justice Orly be named?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 pm 

Orlylicious wrote:
Can a naturalized citizen be appointed to the Supreme Court? From looking around, no age, experience, or citizenship rules exist...If that's the case, where can a petition be filed to demand Justice Orly be named?

Can? Yes: The only requirements to become a SCOTUS justice are to be nominated by the president and confirmed by the senate.

ASSUME ANYTHING WRITTEN HERE WILL END UP ON TAITZ'S SITE AND FACEBOOK. AND JEROME CORSI WILL POST SCREENSHOTS TO WND. AND WILL BE FILED BY A BIRTHER AS AN EXHIBIT IN FEDERAL COURT. NOW HAVE FUN!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 pm 

Damn. I checked into this thread hoping Fat Tony had finally eaten one cannoli too many.

Vaffanculo!