Harold Stassen

Loren

Harold Stassen

Postby Loren » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Under 'Perennial Candidate,' Wikipedia has this to say about [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_E._Stassen]Harold Stassen:"Harold Stassen is perhaps the most famous and distinguished perennial presidential candidate in U.S. history, along with Ralph Nader. A one-time Governor of Minnesota and former President of the University of Pennsylvania, he ran for the Republican nomination for President twelve times between 1944 and 2000."Fun Fact: Harold Stassen's mother was a German immigrant.

verbalobe

Harold Stassen

Postby verbalobe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm

From his NYT obituary, March 5, 2001:

Harold Edward Stassen was born April 13, 1907, in West St. Paul, Minn., to William Andrew Stassen, a farmer, and the former Elsie Emma Mueller. All his grandparents were immigrants. His paternal grandfather was from Norway, his paternal grandmother was a Czech and his maternal grandparents were from Germany.

[/break1]nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E5DE133BF936A35750C0A9679C8B63]Link.Every biographical sketch I can find of Stassen stresses his rich immigrant background.Curious that it never seems to have raised eyebrows during his numerous Presidential bids. You would think there would be an explicit mention somewhere that his mother was known to have been naturalized before his birth, but I can find no record of it. Surely it was investigated at the time. :roll: Perhaps We the People escaped being usurped 50 years ago.

Sterngard Friegen

Harold Stassen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 pm

From his NYT obituary, March 5, 2001:

Harold Edward Stassen was born April 13, 1907, in West St. Paul, Minn., to William Andrew Stassen, a farmer, and the former Elsie Emma Mueller. All his grandparents were immigrants. His paternal grandfather was from Norway, his paternal grandmother was a Czech and his maternal grandparents were from Germany.

[/break1]nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E5DE133BF936A35750C0A9679C8B63]Link.Every biographical sketch I can find of Stassen stresses his rich immigrant background.Curious that it never seems to have raised eyebrows during his numerous Presidential bids. You would think there would be an explicit mention somewhere that his mother was known to have been naturalized before his birth, but I can find no record of it. Surely it was investigated at the time. :roll: Perhaps We the People escaped being usurped 50 years ago.

I'm sure Mario Apuzzo has an explanation. And I think I know what it is.[sekrit]Stassen wasn't black.[/sekrit]

Return to “Miscellaneous”