Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]     
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 pm 

Welcome. There are three tabs below with information.

BBCodes : I have implemented a lot of different ways to format your posts using BBCodes. When you're writing a post, there's a whole table full of BBCodes, plus some extras I added. To learn how to use them, there's a blue circle with a white question mark at the top right of the table. The ones in the last row are custom BBCodes I wrote myself.

• col: Format your text into two columns, divided by the pipe symbol ("|")
  • com: For Comedy Channel videos. Just use the video number enclosed by this tag.
  • edit:
    Edit: For adding a late thought to your post
  • highlight: Actually, this one just highlights in yellow. You can highlight text with any color using the Highlight text box, but I kept this one for the old posts that used it.
  • imgwidth=: Shrink your large graphics. Enter a number of pixels for the desired width, the code automatically fixes the height so it's proportional.
  • indent: Indent a whole paragraph or group of paragraphs.
  • link: This one makes pretty links that open in a new tab. Put the text you want to show, followed by a comma, and with no space after the comma put the URL. Example:
    Code:
    [link]Fogbow,http://www.thefogbow.com[/link]
    That will post as: Fogbow
  • mediaite: For mediaite videos. They change their damn code too often. I don't think this works. If you have a mediaite video you want to share with us, put in the URL and I'll try to fix the code one of these days.
  • mm: MediaMatters videos.
  • mp3: Post your sound files.
  • sekrit: Create hidden text that anyone can see by clicking a button.

There's some more info on the BBCodes here, here and here. If somebody does something cool and you don't know how they did it, you can always "quote" the post (without actually submitting a reply) and see how they used the codes.

Hidden forums and usergroups : We have various forums that you can't see unless you join a specific usergroup. In particular:

Sports threads: You must go to the User Control Panel, to the tab for Usergroups, and join Sports Fans. Our member JohnThomas8 conducts football and basketball pools throughout the various seasons.

Birthers/Trolls: They get put in FEMA Camp 7½. To see posts by them (and the hidden forum, "FEMA Camp 7½"), join the usergroup FEMA Staff & Visitors.

Religion Discussion: I give you the choice whether to participate in discussions about religion. Some people are sensitive on the topic.

The other usergroups are purely voluntary: Gadflies, Grumpy People, and Ladies in Pink are just for fun; you may identify with one or more of them.

Lurkers are unregistered guests; Nonpersons is for members with fewer than 3 posts; you can't join either of those; they're automatic.

Inside jokes/words : Over the years, we've got some.

the boogle: This was given to us by birther Dean Haskins. It refers to our membership on Fogbow, and it's a collective noun, like 'a pride of lions' or 'a pod of dolphins,' except this one is 'a boogle of weasels'.

Brunt toast, baned and denined: These were common misspellings by a birther named Ed Hale that we kind of adopted as our own. Sadly, Ed Hale seems to have dropped out of the birther movement.

Lena: One time Orly called into a radio show and identified herself as "Lena" but the host recognized her. We also call her TWLITHOTU (The Worst Lawyer In The History Of The Universe) and variations thereof. We put :twisted: smileys on both sides of links to her site, because she often has malware and damaging scripts embedded in her blog. Don't worry, we copy-and-paste most everything to be found there. If you know what you're doing and take preventive measures, you can see her mess of a website.

Circuit Court of Yahoo-Ville and District Court of Bun-Dogs: Something Orly said once to support her belief that an important lawyer like her should generally use the U.S. Supreme Court to do biznis.

There are others. If you see something you don't understand, just ask. Someone will explain.

What else should the newcomers know that will help them enjoy Fogbow?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:26 pm 

The Birther Dictionary.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4994&hilit=Birther+dictionary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 pm 

I hope I am right and I think it is important.

Sekret posts can be accessed by anyone while only registered and authorized (not trolls) can see hidden content.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm 

Tomtech wrote:
Sekret posts can be accessed by anyone while only registered and authorized (not trolls) can see hidden content.
That's correct. Hidden posts can't be seen by guests/lurkers. "Sekrit" posts can be seen by anyone who clicks the button to show the post.

HOWEVER, we have plenty of birthers who are registered members but don't post. I assume anything I post publicly on the forum will be read by birthers, hidden or not. Probably a safe thing to assume, I reckon.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]