Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:51 pm 

Mississippi is having an election today. Among those up for election are statewide offices and state legislators. In addition to those there is an initiative that is attracting national attention.
Quote:
INITIATIVE MEASURE NO. 26
SPONSOR: P. Leslie Riley, Jr., 3095 Big Hill Road, Pontotoc, Mississippi 38863
SUBJECT MATTER: Definition of “person"
BALLOT TITLE: Should the term “person” be defined to include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning, or the equivalent thereof?
BALLOT SUMMARY: Initiative #26 would amend the Mississippi Constitution to define the word “person” or “persons”, as those terms are used in Article III of the state constitution, to include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning, or the functional equivalent thereof.

http://www.sos.ms.gov/page.aspx?s=7&s1=1&s2=50

For those here who do not live in a red or purple state, attacks like this on a woman's reproductive rights are common. Since Kit Bond, John Ashcroft and William Webster are not state office holders in Missouri any longer, actions in Kansas, South Dakota and Oklahoma have been receiving a lot more press.

Should this initiative pass there will probably be a lawsuit filed requesting a TRO in a USDC in Mississippi the same day as the Mississippi Secy of State certifies the results. SSDD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 pm 

Early returns have it losing by 10%.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:59 pm 

DaveMuckey wrote:
Early returns have it losing by 10%.

Only 10%?

Egads.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 pm 

Zygote still losing 57-43 with 25% reporting in MS
26% in Misisisisisisisippppi Uteri winning so far 58-42
31% in Misisisisppi: 60-40 AGAINST personhood

Birtherism is so ridiculous that I no longer feel obligated to treat proponents w/slightest degree of respect or civility

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 pm 

A half hour later, it's down by 18, 59-41.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 pm 

So, 41% of the voters in Mississippi today require remedial education in science and the US Constitution?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:37 pm 

Well, they couldn't figure out to implement zygote voter ID laws, so they compromised.

Birtherism is so ridiculous that I no longer feel obligated to treat proponents w/slightest degree of respect or civility

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm 

John Thomas8 wrote:
So, 41% of the voters in Mississippi today require remedial education in science and the US Constitution?

A real glass half-full kind of guy you are, JT8!

Probably that many do need more education, probably in all states. We need to get better at meme design :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 pm 

With 59% of the precincts counted, television station WLOX is calling the race as a defeat for the initiative supporters.
Yes--167k--43%
No --223k--57%
http://www.wlox.com/link/275969/novembe ... on-results

I'll admit my surprise with the results.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:23 am 

There's hope.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:24 am 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
jtmunkus wrote:
There's hope.

Indeed. I haven't mentioned this yet, but I think the Republicans are in for a drubbing in 2012. And that Obama will win fairly handily.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 am 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
jtmunkus wrote:
There's hope.

Indeed. I haven't mentioned this yet, but I think the Republicans are in for a drubbing in 2012. And that Obama will win fairly handily.

How bad was tonight for the Repugs?

I'm watching Hannity squeeze the life out of a football like Linus and his security blanket.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 am 

Stergard Friegen! Cut. It. Out!

Are you trying to jinx it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 am 

Occupation: World-class procrastinator and perpetual late-bloomer.
GreatGrey wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
jtmunkus wrote:
There's hope.

How bad was tonight for the Repugs?

I'm watching Hannity squeeze the life out of a football like Linus and his security blanket.

I think the Mississippi results might be a sign that it really wasn't a good night for them at all. Mississippi is a pretty reliably conservative state. Abortion has been a lynchpin of the God, Guns, and Gays Republican strategy for at least my entire lifetime. In 2008, McCain took 58% of the vote in Mississippi. Tonight, the "life begins at conception" measure went down with 58% voting no.

Arizona has recalled the State Senator who wrote the anti-immigrant measure. Seat went to another Republican, but not exactly good news for the teahaddists.

The anti-union measure in Ohio went down to massive defeat.

I think that at a bare minimum, the elections today show a substantial loss of momentum for the Republicans on a national level. I'm not sure I share Stern's optimism, but there's definitely a lot to take encouragement from.

"And with the advent of LexisNexis and WestLaw, there is no more need for attorneys to spend hours researching. The relevant case law simply comes straight to the computer, ready to be copied to a word processor."
--Larry "Leisure Suit" Klayman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:02 am 

Watching the Fox 'news' overnight re-runs here (damn you Rupert Murdoch for owning Sky TV) it seems the depots are hanging on the 'Anti-Obamacare' measure in Ohio as proof that this election was a big FU to The President. Haley Barbour blamed the Mississippi fetushood loss on 'some group coming in from Colorado trying to pass an amendment that the legislature could very easily have passed instead'. So I guess we can expect a MS legislature to try an end run on fetushood soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 am 
Mississippians can read better than we give them credit for.

What's interesting is when you saw this issue covered by the major news networks, especially FoxNews, it was portrayed as if it was going to overwhelmingly win, yet it was nearly a landslide against it. Inability to read the polls/tealeaves? Or an example of trying to attract eyeballs to the TV box by trying to make an issue that's really a non-starter look like a real possibility. I think Stern's right about the 2012 Presidential election. I think the only reason it looks like a horse-race when you turn on the news is if it got out what a snoozer the whole thing will be in terms of any doubt about the outcome, people wouldn't watch the news. However, I think turnout is the wild card. Democrats have to go to the voting booth on Nov 6 2012. Republicans will manage to get a bunch of "shiny object" initiatives, like marriage or abortion, on the ballot in the various states to attract a slew of Republicans to come vote to try to shore up whoever the Republican candidate turns out to be. We have to keep momentum up for a whole more year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:10 pm 

It seems to me there is a backlash to the arrogance the newly elected Republicans showed in their passing legislation that went too far. Passing a law that threatened the life of a woman with an ectopic pregnancy was going way too far. Forcing doctors to defend themselves for D & C's after every miscarriage was going way too far. Outlawing most birth control was going way too far.

Many of these laws passed by Republican legislatures and signed by Republican governors have gone way too far and the backlash is going to continue with many of those laws being repealed or knocked down in the courts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:49 pm 

I think you're right, esseff. I think we have Scott walker to thank for the increased attention we are all paying to local contests. It's possible they thought they could build a juggernaut against us by starting at the state level which, by the time we all noticed, would be difficult to stop.

Was all the overreach since 2010 because they thought it would be their last chance or because they thought that with Obama in the White House things would be going their way again? Or, again, on the state level nobody would notice? The overreach was, to me, counterintuitive. Here we have changey hopey in the WH and what do they do? Activate the conservative wish list to achieve what they haven't been able to for 75 years?

PS. Glad to see you, esseff. Hope you are feeling well these days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 pm 

98% of the precincts reporting:
Yes--346k--42%
No --476k--58%

There have been similar attempts in Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota and Oklahoma on a regular basis to find a back door approach to gutting Casey. These attacks won't quit because of yesterday's election results.

Quote:
Supporters of Mississippi's personhood amendment called it a gateway to challenging abortion rights nationwide.
<<snipped>>
Supporters like Stacey Hawsey say they will continue to pursue similar ballot initiatives in other states.

"We're not going to give up on this," Hawsey vowed. "We will keep fighting."

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2011/Nove ... Ohio-Miss/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:51 pm 

Mikedunford wrote:
Arizona has recalled the State Senator who wrote the anti-immigrant measure. Seat went to another Republican, but not exactly good news for the teahaddists.

He was certainly the sponsor of SB 1070, but Kris Kobach, presently the Kansas AG, is responsible for the various state/municipal laws. I've seen the Pearce reference in a lot of places, though, too. Also.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 am 

DaveMuckey, you have me confused. Was this post supposed to go into this Arizona thread instead of here?
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5307&p=305535#p305535

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm 

Joseph Robidoux III wrote:
98% of the precincts reporting:
Yes--346k--42%
No --476k--58%

And Mitt Romney was "absolutely" before it before he was absolutely against it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:22 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
No. No. No. Mittens was 42% for it and 58% against it. He is also known as the Weathervane Candidate.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:29 pm 

sorry about the poor resolution