Sanity, please, during my forced exile in Fox Newsland

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Symposis: I'm in rural America, in a red state, with my dad, who's recovering from emergency surgery. Most of the family has gone now, but because I have my own business (a patriot! yeah, right) and work from home, I have the flexibility to stay until he gets out of the hospital, which will hopefully be tomorrow, and then help him out at home for a few days.I'm deep in the heart of Faux News country. As I sit here eating my lunch in the cafeteria, Faux News is playing on the tee vee. I didn't realize it at first, but had to move to avoid hearing the stoopid talking points as Cavuto was interviewing someone who reported that veterans are entitled to visit national monuments under the First Amendment, even though "the administration" is trying to prevent them from doing so. :evil: I did not see the president's speech televised (maybe I missed it? [-( ) but now they're showing Boehner speaking. Can't hear what he's saying because I'm now on the far side of the cafeteria, looking out at the still beautiful flowers in the garden. :notlistening: So, anyhoo, the forced exile into Faux newsland will continue as long as I'm still here, which will be through Sunday morning, because my dad watches it incessantly. He's sick, so my plan is to not react if he says anything and hope that he drifts toward old westerns and war stuff on the History Channel. And, of course, to vent to the fine folks at TFB when it gets to be too much to bear. :swoon: :hug:Edit: typo

Patagoniagirl

Postby Patagoniagirl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Gawd Bless Ya. Been there! While you can't do this with your Dad, it is always fun to pretend to be a Tea Farty person who has an awakening and start putting forth facts that amaze even yourself. But, as that is not an alternative, Ativan works well. Wy heart is honestly with you.

kate520

Postby kate520 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Taking one for the team gets you a bonus check from the Boss. But I understand your plight, and my blood pressure is going up just thinking about the BS you're exposed to.You need earbuds and Randi Rhodes on your smartphone.

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Taking one for the team gets you a bonus check from the Boss. But I understand your plight, and my blood pressure is going up just thinking about the BS you're exposed to.You need earbuds and Randi Rhodes on your smartphone.

Ah, yes. Noted. Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast. In my absence, would you please inform payroll that they can send the check to my work address? Much thanks. :-*

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Gawd Bless Ya. Been there! While you can't do this with your Dad, it is always fun to pretend to be a Tea Farty person who has an awakening and start putting forth facts that amaze even yourself. But, as that is not an alternative, Ativan works well. Wy heart is honestly with you.

Yabbut I could do it in the cafeteria! :idea:

SuzieC

Postby SuzieC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Deep breaths. Meditation. Yoga. The Zen approach--Fox News can't touch me.

jonbeck

Postby jonbeck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 pm

i feel your pain. I tune into Rush Limbaugh out of complete boredom on long drives. Damn difficult to listen to those long pauses between saying the same thing over and over. I hear the cries of brain cells dying as I think about it.Stay strong, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me.

Whatever4

Postby Whatever4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me. Deep breath. Fox News can't touch me.

Think of it as deep cover reconnaissance.

Emma

Postby Emma » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Symposis: I'm in rural America, in a red state, with my dad, who's recovering from emergency surgery. Most of the family has gone now, but because I have my own business (a patriot! yeah, right) and work from home, I have the flexibility to stay until he gets out of the hospital, which will hopefully be tomorrow, and then help him out at home for a few days.I'm deep in the heart of Faux News country. As I sit here eating my lunch in the cafeteria, Faux News is playing on the tee vee. I didn't realize it at first, but had to move to avoid hearing the stoopid talking points as Cavuto was interviewing someone who reported that veterans are entitled to visit national monuments under the First Amendment, even though "the administration" is trying to prevent them from doing so. :evil: I did not see the president's speech televised (maybe I missed it? [-( ) but now they're showing Boehner speaking. Can't hear what he's saying because I'm now on the far side of the cafeteria, looking out at the still beautiful flowers in the garden. :notlistening: So, anyhoo, the forced exile into Faux newsland will continue as long as I'm still here, which will be through Sunday morning, because my dad watches it incessantly. He's sick, so my plan is to not react if he says anything and hope that he drifts toward old westerns and war stuff on the History Channel. And, of course, to vent to the fine folks at TFB when it gets to be too much to bear. :swoon: :hug:Edit: typo

I feel your pain. I really do. When things are going hot and heavy in politics or other news, I always take along a few DVDs when I visit my Dad. He loves the war stuff, John Wayne, etc., but also for some unknown reason, chick flicks (he loves Sleepless in Seattle and Miss Congeniality).

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 am

Gawd, I hate Fox! Walked into the hospital room this morning, and Dad was watching "news." The topic? The "failed" rollout of the Obamacare website. It's a national disgrace, paid for by the taxpayers, who DEMAND to know answers. Cuz, you know, the system is being overwhelmed by citizens who want to sign up. Which is a disgrace. Or something. :twisted: :twisted: AND if too many people sign up, it will just cost all that much more.

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:08 am

Oh, now they're covering IRSgate (still??). I got to watch a repeat of Issa grilling IRS staffers. Fun. :-({|=

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 am

I can't visit my sister because that happy crap blares out 24x7. I feel IQ points dropping away by the minute being in the same room where it's on....'cept for maybe Shep....I have no idea how a normal human like him has lasted as long as he has.....

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:11 am

Time to implement Defcon 1. I have this brainwave suite program on my iPhone that uses binaural beats in conjunction with nature sounds (ocean in my case). Starting "Calm Reflection" sequence with noise canceling headphones. I also have work to do, so that is my excuse.Emma -- Yes! Netflix to the rescue when we go home today. :hug:

kate520

Postby kate520 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Just so you know, SLQ, Issa's reputation in California, among the peeps who know him best, is that of a slug, a worm, a slimy creature who can't be trusted. Even in his own party.So, when you see Fox lauding him know that those are their values shining through.

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:05 pm

A small victory:Of course, Dad couldn't resist making comments about what he's watching. I reminded him that this may not be the best time to provoke a political debate with me, especially given that he's had some new problems in the hospital with arrhythmia. :-? I told him I would do my best to not upset him, but if he was going to provoke debate, I would either have to leave or respond by finding the facts underneath the claim. He did agree that was not the best idea.The issue that prompted it was the national parks issue, i.e. that Nancy Pelosi had opened a memorial to allow an immigration demonstration while vets were prohibited from visiting the WWII memorial. I read him the news article from a neutral source debunking that (i.e. previously planned demonstrations would continue under the First Amendment, and the head of the National Parks is making the determinations; tourist visits are not planned demonstrations, but that vets had been allowed in on a limited basis). But then, as he was saying that he didn't want to have political debates while I'm here, he threw in a parting shot about how Congress shouldn't be exempt from Obamacare. I said I agreed. He said most Americans would agree. I agreed.Then I found a neutral news source (Yahoo news) totally debunking that myth. [link]That Congressional Exemption From Obamacare? Another Myth,http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/congressional-exemption-obamacare-another-myth-153149342.html[/link] I read it to him, and he was interested.Dad said (calmly) that he was glad to hear it. :o I said that perhaps he could help spread the truth about that topic. :-k

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Just so you know, SLQ, Issa's reputation in California, among the peeps who know him best, is that of a slug, a worm, a slimy creature who can't be trusted. Even in his own party.So, when you see Fox lauding him know that those are their values shining through.

Exactly. I loathe Issa.

jonbeck

Postby jonbeck » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Issa is my rep, what a douchebag. It is kind of funny that he is mid-eastern. Can you imagine the crap he would be getting if he was left of center?

Patagoniagirl

Postby Patagoniagirl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Oh, now they're covering IRSgate (still??). I got to watch a repeat of Issa grilling IRS staffers. Fun. :-({|=

whaaa! No fucking Benghazi coverage???? :shock:

Patagoniagirl

Postby Patagoniagirl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm

I can't visit my sister because that happy crap blares out 24x7. I feel IQ points dropping away by the minute being in the same room where it's on....'cept for maybe Shep....I have no idea how a normal human like him has lasted as long as he has.....

Yes JT, I have similar questions. I long ago ( well a couple of years ago) quit beating my head against the wall over the "shit". Once in a while, I have a hard time keeping my composure with random spewers of RW hate and disinformation. Now...it is a game. Random person: Obama is taking this country down!Me: Yeah, ya know I am worried myself!RP: Obama is taking this country down the tubes!Me: Yeah! Oh wait...I just saw that the deficit has been reduced, and employment is up. And actually, my son can now get health insurance he can afford. Maybe this isn't so awful after all!RP: Fucking Left Wing Creep.Me: Have a nice day, miserable person.

Sugar Magnolia

Postby Sugar Magnolia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 pm

I used to take my mother to the eye doctor. Fox news in the waiting room. When the whole Obamacare thing first came up, it was all about doctors refusing to take medicare patients anymore and losing money and a bunch or other erroneous rigamarole. The woman sitting on the other side of my mother made some RWNJ comment about some huge percentage (that she pulled out of her ass) of doctors who were retiring because of it, including this very doctor! Without even leaning forward around my mother, I politely told her that was wrong and purely by chance had not only the correct information but the actual page number in the law that referred to it. My mother pinched me and told me to stop talking and the other woman said "Oh, you must be one of those Democrats" with a sneer. I told her no, I was one of those informed people. She made a snotty comment about me reading the Sports Illustrated (is that an indicator of lack of intelligence?) as she packed up her shit and moved to the other side of the room, where she spent the next 20 minutes glaring at me.My mother (who adores Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly) doesn't ask me to take her to the eye doctor (who, strangely enough, is still in business) any more.

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 pm

I used to take my mother to the eye doctor. Fox news in the waiting room. When the whole Obamacare thing first came up, it was all about doctors refusing to take medicare patients anymore and losing money and a bunch or other erroneous rigamarole. The woman sitting on the other side of my mother made some RWNJ comment about some huge percentage (that she pulled out of her ass) of doctors who were retiring because of it, including this very doctor! Without even leaning forward around my mother, I politely told her that was wrong and purely by chance had not only the correct information but the actual page number in the law that referred to it. My mother pinched me and told me to stop talking and the other woman said "Oh, you must be one of those Democrats" with a sneer. I told her no, I was one of those informed people. She made a snotty comment about me reading the Sports Illustrated (is that an indicator of lack of intelligence?) as she packed up her shit and moved to the other side of the room, where she spent the next 20 minutes glaring at me.My mother (who adores Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly) doesn't ask me to take her to the eye doctor (who, strangely enough, is still in business) any more.

=)) =)) =)) Yeah, I've been hearing that since 2009 -- if it's not one thing [bad about Obamacare], it's another. However, Dad is happy I'll have insurance soon. He worries about me. He knows it's good in that respect, and that change was needed, though he'd never put it that way.

SLQ

Postby SLQ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Anyone see Shep Smith on board the USS Enterprise?

Funny pics. Finally getting to him in a Star Trek uniform but I think he sometimes resembles the Grinch. =)) Bill Hader's imitation of him is dead-on. SLQ, maybe you can point out to Dad when Shep's on that he's got the real news on Fox.[imgwidth=250]http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/files/original/shepsmith.jpg[/imgwidth]:[imgwidth=300]http://www.med.unc.edu/www/newsarchive/2010/december/empathy-for-mr.-grinch/image[/imgwidth]:[imgwidth=300]http://images.rcp.realclearpolitics.com/127146_1_.jpg[/imgwidth]

I will have to watch that when I have the headphones on . . . \ :D /

Return to “The Lounge”