Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next   
 Post subject: eBooks/eReaders/Tablets
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:56 pm 

Whatever4 wrote:
AWESOME link, and great advice! :hug: :hug: So glad I have a techie sister! =D> =D> =D>

I'd love to really take the credit, but I'm mostly fluent with PCs, even though I have a MacBook and a Mac Mini (it's the center of my entertainment system, providing the iTunes library for the whole house). However, I have my Mac Geek partner on IM, and since he has that Mac Mini, he was an instant resource.

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear And disregards the rest." Paul Simon, The Boxer
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:00 pm 

Hubby got me the Kindle Fire for Christmas. I gave my Mom the Kindle I got last Christmas. Which is great, we only have to pay once for our book club book.

I absolutely love the Fire, an opinion that might change when I go outdoors to read. The Fire kept me thoroughly entertained while I was waiting for my daughter at the Orthodotist. I love the web and apps and how clear and crisp the screen is for TV and movies. The touch keyboard works great with my long fingernails, the old kindle and long fingernails did not work well.

The best thing about the Fire, it's small, so I can take it everywhere with me, like when I go shopping. It is great to be able to compare prices online and get the best price from any store I am in, just show them the web price and get the discount. Yes, I am a haggler. Everything is negotiable, and I do mean everything.

We got the Kindle Touch with ads for our 14 yr old's birfday two weeks ago. She loves it. We had to get her one because she kept hijacking mine. We asked our son if he wanted one too, but he said he prefers to turn paper pages.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:25 pm 

This is the one I got, Tink, but not the Touch and, through no effort by me, it came without the ads. I never had a problem with the weight of the Kindle DX when reading, but I really appreciate how light this little one is. It feels like you're barely holding anything.

Tink wrote:
We got the Kindle Touch with ads for our 14 yr old's birfday two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 pm 

I'm seeing no love for the Nook. Howcome?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44 pm 

DaveMuckey wrote:

One reason might be continuing questions about whether Barnes and Noble will go the way of Borders. B&N has experienced a steady decline of in-store sales, just as Borders did. Those stores proved to be a heavy burden for Borders and may prove to be so for B&N. Although B&N has seen a 140% increase in revenue from the Nook, will that keep the entire corporation afloat? That would partly turn on how much of that revenue is profit. In addition, Amazon is a comprehensive marketplace, unlike either Borders or B&N, enabling Amazon to earn profits from almost anything a consumer is likely to purchase. Amazon has very deep pockets.

Borders went into the e-Reader market in summer of 2010 with the Kobo (its stores also sold Sony e-Readers), but the income from that was not enough to offset the losses from the book stores. Borders closed its stores just a year later. Kobo survives and is doing well by some measures, recently rated Wired Magazine's 2012 Editor's Pick for Best e-Reader. If B&N also had to shutter its stores, there is a question whether the Nook could survive on its own in an already-crowded market.
---------------------------
I think Amazon's major competitor is the iPad and its successors. If the iPad can become as easy on the eyes as an e-Reader as is the Kindle line of e-ink e-Readers, its much greater functionality could hurt the market for Kindles even at the iPad's much higher price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:17 pm 

Do you have one, Muckey? I don't, so I wouldn't know how to love it.

DaveMuckey wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:18 pm 

Plus the nook is much heavier than the Kindle. That's what sold me in the first place.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:36 pm 

Adelante wrote:
Do you have one, Muckey? I don't, so I wouldn't know how to love it.

DaveMuckey wrote:

No. My priority this year was to build a PC from the ground up to replace my dearly deceased Dell 870. Next year I hope to be able to latch onto a tablet of some sort.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:01 pm 

Actually, I have both (because of what I do, not because of a love for toys).

As a web device and tablet, I actually prefer the Nook (Color, with the new upgrade so it has the same system as the Tablet). The browser is noticeably better than the over-hyped Silk, and no stutters in page turning. For ease of purchasing and using content from Amazon, of course the Kindle reigns.

One big advantage to the Nook is the ability to add usable memory with an SD card. As well as the easy ability to root it, which would be useful if B&N were to go the way of Borders. In general, the techie blogs have given the Nook Tablet higher marks than the Kindle Fire.

Neither supports mike input, so far as I know. That's a silly economy, especially for the Nook, as it opens up all kinds of social possibilities, even without a camera.

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear And disregards the rest." Paul Simon, The Boxer
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:57 pm 

This is Saul Bellow's son, who oddly considers himself a Democrat. I would have put this in the Tea Party thread, but it's more of a publishing story, there's nowhere that's more appropriate, and we do e-publishing stories here at times.

Washington Post

Quote:
Adam Bellow hopes to give voice to the tea party with new conservative imprint at HarperCollins

NEW YORK — Attention, conservatives: Adam Bellow says this is your moment.

The intellectual left, he contends, is in a vacuum. The right is where there are ideas, variety, excitement. And Bellow, a former liberal who has made a career of pushing conservative writers and controversial issues to the forefront of American publishing, wants to hear from you. ...

Bellow, 54, is editorial director of Broadside Books, HarperCollins’s conservative imprint, launched a year ago. Its mission, he says, is to “attack the intellectual roots of liberalism, and find and publish a lot of new thinking on the right.”

But there’s no denying that, fringe or not, the tea party brought several dozen new members to Congress in 2010. Broadside is determined to capi­tal­ize on the trend. It is publishing a digital “Voices of the Tea Party” series: 3,000-to-5,000-word digital pamphlets, which sell for $1.99 and provide a platform for stories, idea sharing, public policy debates and new talent. There’s also a blog, an interactive Web site with free content, and a submission portal for would-be authors to send Broadside editors their work.

Most of the digital offerings from “Voices” are on ways to beat the system, or at least expose it. One author is Milton R. Wolf, a Kansas physician and distant cousin to President Obama who opposes his health-care plan. He wrote “First, Do No Harm.” Another is Dallas tea party leader Lorie Medina, who wrote “Community Organizing for Conservatives.”

Sales have been “modest,” Bellow says. The health-care pamphlet had been the best-selling, at 500 copies, until a satiric offering by Frank J. Fleming titled “Obama: The Greatest President in the History of Everything” sold 2,300 copies in its first week. Starting this month, Broadside will add longer works, called e-originals and running 20,000 to 30,000 words, to the series. First out of the blocks: “The New Quislings: How the International Left Used the Oslo Massacre to Silence Debate About Islam,” by Bruce Bawer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:47 am 

Adelante wrote:
This is Saul Bellow's son, who oddly considers himself a Democrat. I would have put this in the Tea Party thread, but it's more of a publishing story, there's nowhere that's more appropriate, and we do e-publishing stories here at times.

This guy sure proves that talent often skips a generation. Just look at Hank Williams, Sr. and his grandson.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 pm 

Computer World

Quote:
Apple's iBookstore goes indie in Kindle Flame war

Apple [AAPL] is reportedly plotting one of its "special events" at the end of the month, sparking a wave of pre-CES speculation designed to put the firm's media efforts into the spotlight once again. ...

It looks likely the firm will focus on life beyond the publishing houses at this show, bringing in new tools to enable independent writers to self-publish their creations via the service. ...

This is a platform war. Others in the post-PC world are still scrambling to offer a media-acquisition ecosystem that matches the depth of either of the two giants.

All too much

The additional imperative which may inform Apple's direction at this event could relate to its chosen agency model for the book sales. This model recently became subject to antitrust enquiries in multiple territories. I consider it unlikely the company will be ready to make any changes to that model at this time -- it will respond to initial feedback from regulators.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 pm 

Experimenting with a Kindle Fire. NOT bonding. On TFB the first unread post links don't work. Everywhere else the font is too small or too huge, and the shine bugs me. I'm quickly turning purple. At least the autocomplete is friendly -- like any good literary device, it knows there are multiple possibilities and doesn't merely suggest one option.

W2 may have a new Twitter device.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:58 pm 

Rumors about the astounding new capabilities of the iPad 3 have been flying for almost a year. The only one that seems to have been consistently repeated is that the iPad 3 will have the Retina Display (HD at 2048x1536 pixel resolution), although even that is being questioned. It is now said that Apple will use or has to use IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) flat panels to achieve this display. Either Samsung or Sharp is said to be requipping a factory to produce these flat panels. Rumors of a USB port, SD card slot, and much better camera have also been circulating. The release date has been rumored to be anything from some months ago to summer 2012.

This may be a useful source for tracking the rumors.

I bought an iPad 1 after the iPad 2 came out, so that I could afford to purchase an iPad 3 after it had been out several months. That is still my intention.

Rumors about the iPhone 5 are similarly rife.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:51 pm 

I'm still on my iPad 1, but wish I had a camera for my Skyping with my mom (she's got the iPad 2 ... the sacrifices we make, lol). Actually, she gave me the money to buy an iPad 2, but I'm saving it either for an iPad 3, or an iPad 2 at a better price if I look at the 3 and go "meh."

Not that "meh" is likely when it comes to an iPad.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:50 pm 

Wall Street Journal
Quote:

Barnes & Noble May Separate Nook Business as Losses Mount

Barnes & Noble Inc. said it exploring a plan to separate its successful but costly Nook electronic-book business as it warned investors that full-year results would show much more red ink than previously forecast.

Shares sank nearly 24% in Thursday morning trading.

"We see substantial value in what we've built with our Nook business in only two years, and we believe it's the right time to investigate our options to unlock that value," Chief Executive William Lynch said. ...

Mr. Lynch, in justifying the company's digital strategy in an interview, said Barnes & Noble's relationships with publishers, customer praise of the Nook, the ability to serve customers in stores and a product that focuses on digital reading was a winning formula.

He said the suggestion from analysts that the Nook can't compete with Amazon and Apple was "a rather ridiculous and simplistic way" to look at the market, saying there is no hardware space with one dominant player. Mr. Lynch said Barnes & Noble doesn't see itself as a competitor with Apple, as it focuses more on digital reading, but said internal research shows customers prefer the Nook over the Kindle. ...

On Wednesday, The Wall Street Journal reported that Barnes & Noble has put its Sterling Publishing business up for sale, signaling a likely end to its decades-long involvement in the publishing of its own books.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 pm 

I can't say I'll miss Barnes & Noble or Borders even if they disappeared entirely. They rampaged through the retail book market like Wal-Mart, putting local bookstores with long histories out of business across the country with their cut-throat tactics. While most of those will never come back, this may free up the market again so that local bookstores can be run by people who actually give a damn about books.

In any event, I won't shed a single tear for those locusts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:22 pm 

A Legal Lohengrin wrote:
I can't say I'll miss Barnes & Noble or Borders even if they disappeared entirely. They rampaged through the retail book market like Wal-Mart, putting local bookstores with long histories out of business across the country with their cut-throat tactics. While most of those will never come back, this may free up the market again so that local bookstores can be run by people who actually give a damn about books.

The last few years has seen an opportunity open up for local record stores again as all the national chains have gone under and Best Buy and Walmart have shrunk their music sections. It's never going to be the 70s again, but you can survive catering to hipsters and vinyl freaks and such if you are in the right market. I think the same will be true for local book stores once the smoke clears.

The problem is that if you aren't in the right community, you are not going to be able to go to a book store or music store and had better hope that you have access to a computer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 pm 

I'll never look at vinyl the same, no, not ever again ...

Not for the weak of stomach. Do not read at mealtime. You have been warned!
One of my lawsuits involved a company that made vinyl record albums. After they developed vinyl colored in colors other than black, they had to clean all the equipment when changing colors. One of the pieces of equipment was a big blender, like three feet across and four feet deep. There were several safety features in the plant to make sure the blender didn't start up at the wrong time, like for example when a workman was cleaning the blender.

But things will go wrong, and the other workman found only a pair of bloody boots with the feet still in them.

Worst depo I ever saw for interpretation. The poor interpreter (Eastern Hmong) had no idea what was coming. We spent the first hour or so asking the surviving workman about his duties, his training, etc. The interpreter was jolly and voluble, giving us his answers. When it finally dawned on the man that his fellow Hmong had been juicerized, he got pale and his interpretation changed. The witness would answer a question with a 15-second long something-or-other, and the interpreter would say "No." Well, he said a hell of a lot more than "no," dammit.

We represented the manufacturer. Sadly, the machine worked perfectly. The final fail-safe was a button on the rim of the machine. It wouldn't start unless the lid was closed, pushing in that button. But apparently the workman wasn't trained about that, because he leaned over to reach the bottom of the blender, and pushed the button with his belly.

No vinyl for me, TYVM. [-X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:46 pm 

A Legal Lohengrin wrote:

In the Land of Ago (the 1970s-early 1990s), Borders was a local bookstore that catered directly to the Ann Arbor customer base. It had two great advantages: (a) its staff knew the sections to which they were assigned, including books that belonged there but were not yet on the shelves and should be ordered, and (b) it had a fabulous inventory control system that allowed it to keep the shelves stocked. There were no coffee corners, no DVD or CD sales, and no gimmicks.

Tom and Louis Borders, who had developed Borders during their undergraduate and graduate days at UMich, had a bodacious offer from K-Mart, which they accepted in 1992. Everything went downhill from there. The company, which also included Waldenbooks, embarked on an enormous expansion drive. It had already made a mess of Waldenbooks, so it was time to mess up yet another retail operation. (It is on the road to messing up Sears even as we speak.) K-Mart knew that it had bought a good thing, but they had no idea whatsoever what it was that was good about Borders. I think they thought "large bookstore" adequately described their purchase. In the few years that K-Mart owned Borders, they managed to destroy it.

The Borders brothers left Ann Arbor for other interests, one going to Austin and the other to Silicon Valley. There was discernible resentment at them in Ann Arbor for having let down the community.

On the surface, expansion seemed to be a good strategy. When the Borders brothers did that a bit, they tailored each store's inventory to what that community read. Not so with the K-Mart version. I was pleased to find a Borders in Singapore and slightly surprised to find the red censor's mark in every single book. The censorship was primarily political, not moral, even though some critical political books were allowed in. That store had already taken to gimmicks, raffling off a Mercedes A-class when I was last there. The estimated value was Singapore $97,000. It is very expensive to own a car in Singapore.

Barnes and Noble was in the Ann Arbor market but not in the dense academic center of the city. It was out in the city's main shopping mall, near the Interstate. The university Co-op served the textbook market, as did another private store a bit further away. I am not sure which bookstores now serve Ann Arbor and will look when I am there this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:52 pm 

I don't think B&N is looking to get out of retail. They want to get out of production and pull some money in and keep building on the digital goods market. Does that sound about right? I have to say, that was a screwy press release.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm 

Adelante wrote:
I don't think B&N is looking to get out of retail. They want to get out of production and pull some money in and keep building on the digital goods market. Does that sound about right? I have to say, that was a screwy press release.

I don't see their very large number of brick-and-mortar retail stores helping them much in the digital goods market. As of October 30, 2010, the company had 717 retail stores. In addition, it operated 637 college bookstores. College bookstores as well as retail bookstores are being affected by e-Books. I cannot see them keeping anywhere near that number of stores open for long. In the previous quarter, they lost money in their retail operations. They might keep retail stores in areas with large customer bases, but I would bet those urban customer bases are better attuned to e-Books than are the customers in the boonies.

What I hope for is the extinction of the large retail chains, opening space for independent bookstores catering to their individual markets. This might even affect the amount of dreck that publishers now put out, if we no longer have customers wandering in to browse the "New" and "Best Seller" shelves. One of the advantages of the original Borders model is that the store did not stock much in the way of dreck. When K-Mart bought it, dreck expanded quickly, with an entire row of shelves devoted to dubious self-help books. Before that, Borders would have stocked Szasz, Erikson, Jung, Freud, and a few other seriously-trained experts and commentaries on their work. Dr. Phil and Dr. Laura would never have been found there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:07 pm 

So moving the Nook out of the way of a likely B&N retail failure, then, to protect the product they can reasonably expect will continue to do well for them. That makes sense. Nook users really do seem to like their Nooks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 pm 

Whatever4 wrote:
Experimenting with a Kindle Fire. NOT bonding. On TFB the first unread post links don't work. Everywhere else the font is too small or too huge, and the shine bugs me. I'm quickly turning purple. At least the autocomplete is friendly -- like any good literary device, it knows there are multiple possibilities and doesn't merely suggest one option.

W2 may have a new Twitter device.

I haven't run into any issues with this site on my Fire. So far I have been really pleased with it. I mostly wanted it because I was getting tired of sitting in front of my desktop and just reading. I am not a huge fan of laptops, so I find this the best alternative so I can snuggle up anywhere to read the net.

The other reason I wanted one is, that my desktop is in my home office which is the only room I smoke in. So if I am sitting here reading, I am smoking. I need to quit. So if I can cruise the net outside of my office, I will hopefully cut back on the smoking enough to quit. In theory.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 am 

[rant] One of the gifts I was fortunate enough to receive this Christmas was a book. It was made out of paper and ink. I'm at page 429. It rocks so far.

For the record, it's 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami and it could never, ever, be as powerful as it is in print if rendered on an electronic device. [/rant]

Image x2 Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next