CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

p0rtia

Re: CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Post by p0rtia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am

RVInit wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am
p0rtia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 am
I also work the polls in NY. I've done this for about eight years and I believe it to be an excellent system.

- Regarding "Are the votes on the paper ballots counted"? No, they are not (see next note). The number of ballots the machine says were cast (not what candidates were voted for on those ballots) is checked against the number of stubs in the ballot books (50 per book) minus voided ballots. There is zero chance of extra ballots being cast.

- Regarding why the scanner is used if the paper ballots are counted: Having both immediate, more accurate digital results and the paper trail is goal: You go with the digital results for immediately accessible, accurate numbers. If they are challenged, you have a paper backup.
This is what I suspected. Like I said, I hope that testing involves setting the machines to the actual voting date so that testing will show exactly how votes will be counted on the actual date of voting. It is too easy for code to be written to move every 5th vote for Candidate A over to Candidate B ( but only if the date = X) and the total count will never show any discrepancy, especially if the votes for each candidate count properly during testing. I really do hope that someone who is either a programmer or very well versed in QA code testing is involved in testing voting machines.
Regarding checking the date. Yes, it does. There are technicians at the BOE who are trained to service the machines and set them. We also check the date at the site.

For the record, it is a seriously simple machine. You fill in little circles on your ballot, you stick it in the machine, the machine scans the paper and digitally records the votes, the paper is dumped into a bin. The data chip is in the machine with a numbered seal on it when we get the machine; at the end of the day we (always 2, one D and one R) break the seal, note the number, sign the chain of custody paper, and put the chip into another sealed bag for the courier. Seals are swapped, numbers are noted, signatures are made at every stage. In addition, random machines are checked to make sure that the actual ballots have been accurately recorded before and after election.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am
RVInit wrote:
p0rtia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 am
I also work the polls in NY. I've done this for about eight years and I believe it to be an excellent system.

- Regarding "Are the votes on the paper ballots counted"? No, they are not (see next note). The number of ballots the machine says were cast (not what candidates were voted for on those ballots) is checked against the number of stubs in the ballot books (50 per book) minus voided ballots. There is zero chance of extra ballots being cast.

- Regarding why the scanner is used if the paper ballots are counted: Having both immediate, more accurate digital results and the paper trail is goal: You go with the digital results for immediately accessible, accurate numbers. If they are challenged, you have a paper backup.
This is what I suspected. Like I said, I hope that testing involves setting the machines to the actual voting date so that testing will show exactly how votes will be counted on the actual date of voting. It is too easy for code to be written to move every 5th vote for Candidate A over to Candidate B ( but only if the date = X) and the total count will never show any discrepancy, especially if the votes for each candidate count properly during testing. I really do hope that someone who is either a programmer or very well versed in QA code testing is involved in testing voting machines.
Regarding checking the date. Yes, it does. There are technicians at the BOE who are trained to service the machines and set them. We also check the date at the site.

For the record, it is a seriously simple machine. You fill in little circles on your ballot, you stick it in the machine, the machine scans the paper and digitally records the votes, the paper is dumped into a bin. The data chip is in the machine with a numbered seal on it when we get the machine; at the end of the day we (always 2, one D and one R) break the seal, note the number, sign the chain of custody paper, and put the chip into another sealed bag for the courier. Seals are swapped, numbers are noted, signatures are made at every stage. In addition, random machines are checked to make sure that the actual ballots have been accurately recorded before and after election.
She's not talking about making sure the date is accurate, she's talking about changing the date when the testing is done prior to the election. If they do the testing on Oct 31, the date is overridden to say Nov 7 before testing to make sure there isn't a line of code that ONLY works on that date. If they test without adjusting the date and there is a date-specific change written into the code, the test would run clean. By changing the date they will (should) catch malicious code.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am
p0rtia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am
RVInit wrote:

She's not talking about making sure the date is accurate, she's talking about changing the date when the testing is done prior to the election. If they do the testing on Oct 31, the date is overridden to say Nov 7 before testing to make sure there isn't a line of code that ONLY works on that date. If they test without adjusting the date and there is a date-specific change written into the code, the test would run clean. By changing the date they will (should) catch malicious code.
:like: exactly

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am
If I recall correctly, this type of test is pretty standard on things like ATMs and electronic gambling devices, but they are held to a MUCH higher standard than the touchscreen voting systems.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm

The Hill
Half of voters believe Trump campaign colluded with Russia

Half of American voters believe that members of the Trump campaign colluded with the Russia to interfere in the election, according to new data from Quinnipiac University.

A poll published Tuesday revealed that 50 percent of respondents said they believe that people in the Trump campaign coordinated with the Russian government, and 40 percent do not believe it. Numbers from past polls show an increasing number of voters believe there was collusion – in a May 2017 poll, only 43 percent said they believed it.

The data shows a stark division along party lines, with 10 percent of Republicans and 82 percent of Democrats saying they believe that individuals in the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia to interfere in the election.

According to the data, 59 percent of respondents said they believe that the Russian government interfered in the election, regardless of whether they thought it impacted the outcome, while 32 percent said they did not believe it.

Among Republicans, 65 percent said they do not believe the Russian government interfered, while 26 percent said they do. Democrats overwhelmingly believe that Russia interfered, with 85 percent saying so.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm
The Hill

:snippity: .
The question is tricky in itself. Did Trump personally know how deep the assumed collusion did run within the campaign (apart of him knowing that some small talk at events happened), or was it the campaign officials that thought it was a bigly idea to buddy up with the Russians to tweek the elections in favour of Teh Donald?

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:37 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm
Addie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm
The Hill

:snippity: .
The question is tricky in itself. Did Trump personally know how deep the assumed collusion did run within the campaign (apart of him knowing that some small talk at events happened), or was it the campaign officials that thought it was a bigly idea to buddy up with the Russians to tweek the elections in favour of Teh Donald?
Very tricksy. Personally, I don't believe that Donald is aware of any Russian ties, even with his businesses like the Soho project. I think he's too self-centered and disinterested to have cared, for instance, where the money was coming from, as long as his name was being put on things. On the other hand, Manafort and Flynn seem to have gotten themselves involved with Trump because that's what the Russians wanted (whether they were openly complicit or just being manipulated) and the Russians seem to have been very adept at indirectly manipulating many others in Trump's orbit.

A yes/no question doesn't exactly allow for a nuanced response.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Sorry, but any explanation must fit all the known facts. One of the known facts is that Trump has criticized almost everyone on the planet except for Putin, who he praises incessantly. When the full truth comes out, we'll understand why he says only wonderful things about Putin (hint: it has to do with Russian pee hookers).

"Hold mah bier." - Jomas Thefferson

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 pm
Sorry, but any explanation must fit all the known facts. One of the known facts is that Trump has criticized almost everyone on the planet except for Putin, who he praises incessantly. When the full truth comes out, we'll understand why he says only wonderful things about Putin (hint: it has to do with Russian pee hookers).
I agree that any explanation must fit the known facts and that your pee hooker hypothesis is plausible, but so is the notion that he is just a Putin fanboy and praises him simply because he admires and looks up to him. As you like to say, more will be revealed, I reckon...

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Mueller knows.

The Shadow knows, too.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm
Foggy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 pm
I agree that any explanation must fit the known facts and that your pee hooker hypothesis is plausible, but so is the notion that he is just a Putin fanboy and praises him simply because he admires and looks up to him. As you like to say, more will be revealed, I reckon...
I'm thinking that the "pee hooker" is code for "underage hooker"

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 am

WaPo
Russian social media executive sought to help Trump campaign in 2016, emails show ...

While mainly used by Russian-speaking users, the site has also become known in Europe — and increasingly in the United States — as a platform embraced by white-nationalist groups, according to groups that track their activity.

Far-right politicians in Germany and other countries have VK profiles, Albright said. The website also directed substantial amounts of traffic to Breitbart News and Infowars, a popular conservative conspiracy site, during the 2016 campaign, he said. ...

In early 2016, Goldstone sent an email to Trump Jr. to discuss the idea of setting up a page for Trump on VK, according to people familiar with his message. Robert Gage, an attorney for Goldstone, declined to comment. ...

“Please feel free to send me whatever you have,” Scavino wrote to Goldstone on Jan. 19. “Thank you so much for looking out for Mr. Trump and his presidential campaign.”

A few days later, Sidorkov emailed Scavino, Trump Jr. and Donald Trump’s longtime assistant Rhona Graff. ...

The newly disclosed emails show that Goldstone was in contact with the campaign about two weeks after visiting Trump Tower. ...

“We will help you with the page promotion to . . . our audience, 100 million users,” he wrote to Scavino, Trump Jr. and Graff.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 am

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Business Insider - Natasha Bertrand
Jailed Russian hacker: I hacked Democrats 'under the command' of Russian intelligence agents

A Russian hacker believed to be a member of a hacking collective called Lurk said in court over the summer that he was ordered by Russia's security services, known as the FSB, to hack the Democratic National Committee.

The hacker, Konstantin Kozlovsky, told a Moscow court in August of this year that his nine-member hacking group — which has been accused of stealing over $17 million from Russia's largest financial institutions since 2013 — has been cooperating with the FSB for several years, according to the independent Russian news outlet The Bell. Part of that cooperation included hacking the DNC, he said.

Kozlovsky said during a hearing on August 15 that he "performed various tasks under the supervision of FSB officers," including a DNC hack and cyberattacks on "very serious military enterprises of the United States and other organizations."

Minutes from the hearing, as well as an audio recording, were posted on Kozlovsky's Facebook page. The Bell said it confirmed their authenticity with two sources, including a person who was present at the hearing. Kozlovsky also posted a letter that he wrote on November 1, 2016. The letter outlined what he said was his work for the FSB, which he said had spanned nearly a decade and, most recently, involved attacking the DNC servers.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:06 am

Politifact 2017 Lie of the Year: Russian election interference is a 'made-up story'

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... ce-made-s/

Return to “Presidential Election”