Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:04 pm 

signed, sealed, delivered!
\:D/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm 

=D>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:18 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 pm 

Oh, noes, good Christian Patriots are going to be persecuted because of this!!!! All of the freepers that are too old, too fat or too cowardly to join the military anyway, are going to refuse to join now, because gay servicemembers wouldn't be able to keep their hands off of 'em. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:38 pm 

Adrianinflorida wrote:
Oh, noes, good Christian Patriots are going to be persecuted because of this!!!! All of the freepers that are too old, too fat or too cowardly to join the military anyway, are going to refuse to join now, because gay servicemembers wouldn't be able to keep their hands off of 'em. ;)

Oh, the HORRORS!

Quote:
Navy officer weds partner as gay ban ends

(AP)

DUXBURY, Vt. - When [activity duty] Navy Lt. Gary Ross and his partner were searching for a place to get married, they settled on a site in Vermont, in part because the state is in the Eastern time zone.

That way, the two men were able to recite their vows before family and friends at the first possible moment after the formal repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Just after midnight Tuesday, the partners of 11 years were married.
(snip)
Ross wore his dress uniform for the ceremony beginning at 11:45 p.m. Monday at Duxbury's Moose Meadow Lodge, a log cabin bed-and-breakfast perched on a hillside about 15 miles northwest of Montpelier.

The lodge says it hosted the state's first gay wedding in 2009.

Justice of the Peace Greg Trulson proclaimed the marriage at exactly midnight.

"This is Gary's official coming out," Trulson said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/19/national/main20108628.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 pm 

Warning: may cause dust in air to get into your eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:32 pm 

To volunteer to defend your country, where the rules are written to discriminate against you, defines patriot more than anything any of the right wing keyboard commandoes could ever do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm 

Adrianinflorida wrote:
To volunteer to defend your country, where the rules are written to discriminate against you, defines patriot more than anything any of the right wing keyboard commandoes could ever do.

I couldn't agree more.

Isn't he the young man who released the video of the air force band doing the Adele song? I think I remember reading somewhere that he had done a bunch of other videos anonymously discussing the repeal of DADT and confessing to another soldier that he was gay. I never got a chance to look at the other videos, but I think I will have to do so soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:50 pm 

xKat wrote:
Isn't he the young man who released the video of the air force band doing the Adele song? I think I remember reading somewhere that he had done a bunch of other videos anonymously discussing the repeal of DADT and confessing to another soldier that he was gay. I never got a chance to look at the other videos, but I think I will have to do so soon.

The same. He didn't show his face in video until today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:53 pm 

Awwwww...

Damned dust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm 

I hate to sound like Debbie Downer or bitter or anything, but does this mean Dan Choi is actually going to shut up and reenlist rather than repeatedly firebagging Obama for "not doing enough"??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm 

PatGund wrote:
I hate to sound like Debbie Downer or bitter or anything, but does this mean Dan Choi is actually going to shut up and reenlist rather than repeatedly firebagging Obama for "not doing enough"??

Awww...Debbie....knock it off.

• My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: “We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing.”
  • Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.
—Mother Jones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
PatGund wrote:

My suspicion is that Choi enjoys whining and being the victim. Much like Jane Hampsher. The more they can complain the more they can wallow in their self-importance and victimhood.

So, no, Choi won't re-up. That would terminate his status as a victim.

Edit: Just did a Google news search and Choi claims he is going to re-enlist. I remain suspect. "Something" will come up.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
PatGund wrote:

My suspicion is that Choi enjoys whining and being the victim. Much like Jane Hampsher. The more they can complain the more they can wallow in their self-importance and victimhood.

Edit: Just did a Google news search and Choi claims he is going to re-enlist. I remain suspect. "Something" will come up.

Huff Po has an article that says Dan Choi is going to re-enlist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:28 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
PatGund wrote:

He's always said he would.

Like Oily and the birfers, lots of people have found fame and fortune in opposition - to whatever is up top at the time. I don't think they'll give it up now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm 

Sully is particularly eloquent on this topic.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com ... -dead.html

Quote:
One day, a gay spouse will receive at a military funeral the flag on behalf of his husband who died in battle. On that awful day, dignity will attach to gay Americans. And decency too. I remain intensely grateful for the Obama administration in getting this done and for the military itself which was far more mature about this than so many posturing politicians. This is truly a new day - one so many of us dreamed of but which has now come to pass.

Know hope.

On my local RWNJ radio station this evening there was an Elaine Donnelly from the Center for Military Readiness (whatever the fuck that is) and the beginning of her rant consisted of "they will have to remove the crime of Sodomy from the UCMJ" as Neon points out above they did exactly that. She then went into a rant about "sexual attraction between members will destroy unit cohesion" well you blew that bloody argument the moment you allowed women into the military
- next. Then she went on to say that this struggle was not akin to the integration of the military with regards to blacks because "that was just common sense" but this "is going to put pressure on junior officers to sort it out" and then she said "you are going to have recruits from Alabama or other rural areas who have never been exposed to this lifestyle choice having to confront it" OMG OH NOES teh gheys will be infecting our rednecks! Also, too, her argument is bogus because the "junior officers" as she puts it would no doubt have to have dealt with members of the KKK (back in the day) refusing to share a barracks with a black recruit. I am sure in the early days of military integration there were ever such problems. I am sure they were dealt with.

Is it just me or is Sully following the path of John Cole at Balloon Juice?

http://crittersbybritty.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 pm 

Quote:
"you are going to have recruits from Alabama or other rural areas who have never been exposed to this lifestyle choice ..."

Wow, you learn something every day here on Fogbow.

I would have suspected that there were gay people in Alabama.

In rural areas, too.

Go figure!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:46 pm 

Last night, Rachel replayed this video of Cindy Jacobs ( a sponsor of Perry's day of prayer) explaining how nature retaliates when the government does things like allows gays in the military. That's why we had the big bird die-offs and all those sudden fish kills in streams around the same time. (I think the bird deaths were related to July 4th fireworks that startled them.)

You cannot win against this kind of irrationality. It cannot even be satirized because it is so far out there already..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i74sPDbXqok

Yes, Rick Perry knows there are a lot of people out there like Cindy Jacobs and he knows how to humor them and their believers.

This is the website for her 'ministry.' It's a big organization.

http://www.generals.org/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 pm 

esseff44 wrote:
Last night, Rachel replayed this video of Cindy Jacobs ( a sponsor of Perry's day of prayer) explaining how nature retaliates when the government does things like allows gays in the military. That's why we had the big bird die-offs and all those sudden fish kills in streams around the same time. (I think the bird deaths were related to July 4th fireworks that startled them.)

You cannot win against this kind of irrationality. It cannot even be satirized because it is so far out there already..

viewtopic.php?p=290409#p290409

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
Cindy Jacobs is living proof of the validity of Poe's Law.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:52 pm 

Foggy wrote:
Quote:
"you are going to have recruits from Alabama or other rural areas who have never been exposed to this lifestyle choice ..."

In rural areas, too.

Go figure!

Oh the irony of her choosing Alabama as an example given the viral video up-thread of a soldier coming out to his dad last night is from ... Alabama! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 pm 

neonzx wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Quote:

In rural areas, too.

Go figure!

Oh the irony of her choosing Alabama as an example given the viral video up-thread of a soldier coming out to his dad last night is from ... Alabama! 8-)

Oh, there is the usual percentage of gay people in Alabama, but the tend to head off to Hotlanta for every chance they get.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:23 am 

Among the more than 43,000 comments on the video of the soldier talking with his dad, there are some doozies. Homophobia is far from dead. This one is edited for decency:
Quote:
what the f**k, this is just some attention seeking faggot milking his medical defect 9which is what gayness is) for money. he's in the military? good, thankfully this fag will get shot in afghanistan. gay people are not even human. imagine what aliens would think if they saw gay peoplke? they need to be sent to the gas chambers. hitler had the right idea.
FISCHSKN 10 minutes ago

Edit: There is also this kind of comment. The soldier was active in the It Gets Better suicide prevention campaign. Among other things, this has to do with the fact that suicides in the military are at a higher rate than in the same age group of the civilian population.
Quote:
To the soldier in this video. I've seen some of your videos before DADT was repealed but didn't see them all so I missed your progress as you came out to yourself and now to the world. I am happy that you had such a smooth coming out process and those around you, including your family, are supporting you without question. I am grateful to your parents for their unwavering love of you. It's an example to us all that IT DOES GET BETTER.
Falkore02 20 minutes ago

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 pm 

I went to the airport to pick up my mum today and I saw something that made me cry. People were going through security to get ready to board the flight out that mum was coming on. There were two marines stood by the side. One had already taken his shoes off so he was obviously the one flying out. Him and his buddy stood there until the very last minute when the line to go through security had gone down to the last person. The marine with his shoes off fist-bumped his buddy then they held hands for a second, then the other marine very gently leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. It wasn't a massive display of affection, it was a simple kiss on the cheek. I just stood there stunned. As I related the story to my mum as we were leaving the airport tears were flowing down my cheeks. Just the thought of something like that a week ago would have been unthinkable.

http://crittersbybritty.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:59 am 

Litlebritdifrnt2 wrote:
I went to the airport to pick up my mum today and I saw something that made me cry. People were going through security to get ready to board the flight out that mum was coming on. There were two marines stood by the side. One had already taken his shoes off so he was obviously the one flying out. Him and his buddy stood there until the very last minute when the line to go through security had gone down to the last person. The marine with his shoes off fist-bumped his buddy then they held hands for a second, then the other marine very gently leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. It wasn't a massive display of affection, it was a simple kiss on the cheek. I just stood there stunned. As I related the story to my mum as we were leaving the airport tears were flowing down my cheeks. Just the thought of something like that a week ago would have been unthinkable.

It is the worst of times, it is the best of times.