Poll: Olympic Boycott

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 pm

See Poll.Comment as you see fit.

Chilidog

Postby Chilidog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 pm

No. It's rather pointless to do so and punishes the wrong people.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a collaborative facility run by the U.S. And Canada

Postby Kriselda Gray » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:35 pm

What would we be boycotting them over? Snowden? Gay rights? Something else?

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Orly Taitz?
“The reality of what we really are is often times found in the small snips, way down at the bottom of things.” – Jean Shepherd

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 pm

We've boycotted Russia Olympics before.

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Vodka? Nooooooo!
“The reality of what we really are is often times found in the small snips, way down at the bottom of things.” – Jean Shepherd

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a collaborative facility run by the U.S. And Canada

Postby Kriselda Gray » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 pm

We've boycotted Russia Olympics before.

Yeah, but that was during the Cold War and We're not in the Cold War any longer. While things may not be all hunky-dory between our nations I think we can move past the Cold War mentality by now - at least somewhat, can't we?[edit]edited because I couldn't remember if we boycotted them first or they boycotted us.[/edit]

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Vodka? Nooooooo!

:mrgreen:

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:11 pm

The US boycotted the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics over the USSR invasion of Afghanistan and in retaliation they boycotted the 1984 LA Olympics. The Olympic boycott was the worst decision Carter made during his term.

Maybenaut

Postby Maybenaut » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 pm

I was opposed to the 1980 boycott, and would be opposed to a boycott of these games for the same reason. The games are supposed to transcend politics.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:23 pm

The US boycotted the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics over the USSR invasion of Afghanistan and in retaliation they boycotted the 1984 LA Olympics. The Olympic boycott was the worst decision Carter made during his term.

The second worst. The worst was not outing raygun.

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm

There still is an Olympics? I thought it died years ago from fraud then disinterest.:yawn:

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Postby Dallasite » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:35 pm

It's rather pointless to do so and punishes the wrong people.

:yeah: :yeah: and

The games are supposed to transcend politics

:yeah: :yeah:

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Of course we shouldn't boycott the Olympics. I want to see Romney's skiing horse.

Estiveo

Postby Estiveo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:08 am

Most (all) of my fellow gays (I've talked to two) think the games should go on. We're betting on some pretty cool protests by athletes of several nations.
Image Image Image x2

rosy

Postby rosy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:33 am

No, I wouldn't support a boycott.In 2012, for the first time ever, every country participating sent at least one woman athlete to the Olympics - even countries with abysmal records on rights and opportunities for women. Changing hearts and minds to achieve equal rights for women, for all races, for the LGBT community and for the disabled starts like that, not with chucking dummies out of the pram. There is a place for boycotts but I don't think sport is that place. I'd like to see some cool protests too. The athletes can't have rainbow nails, unfortunately, that's already been deemed too political. But I am sure that people will find a way of standing up for equality and tolerance.

magdalen77

Postby magdalen77 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:15 am

The reason I remember the 1984 boycott is because I worked at McD's as a manager at the time. When our owner/operator found out that the USSR was boycotting the Olympics he was incensed. We had a game based on winning various food items depending on what medals the US took in various events (you'd get a card naming the event and your prize would depend on which medal the US won in the event). With no USSR participating US athletes would be winning lots of events and we'd be giving away lots of free food. :swoon:

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:59 am

I was working at an A & W Drive In when I was in high school. The business's flagship burger was 1/3 pound ground round on a 6 inch bun for $.85 (1971 or so). The boss was big into gambling and offered a Sunday price for the burger based on the amount of points the UW Huskies rolled up the day before. A penny a point off of the big burger - except Sonny Sixkiller was the Husky QB. One weekend the flagship burger went for $.19 (less than the $.25 baby burger). Sixkiller rolled up 66 points one game...ouch - that was one busy day. He kept the deal going for a couple more weekends (a glutton for punishment I guess) as Sixkiller kept rolling up the scores.I still remember that day...
"Scientific Research: A whole lotta tedious attention to detail followed
by a lovely payoff too esoteric for your friends to understand."
anon--

Patagoniagirl

Postby Patagoniagirl » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 pm

I was opposed to the 1980 boycott, and would be opposed to a boycott of these games for the same reason. The games are supposed to transcend politics.

My take is that this is not politics, but a human rights issue. If the host country of the Olympics discriminated against blacks or women, I would support that boycott as well. I call it NOT politics.

kate520

Postby kate520 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 pm

When I was young I swam competitively. I held records for the backstroke. My nearest competitor in California made the 1968 Olympic team and swam in Mexico City. Mark Spitz was one of us, we young girls would swoon over him at regional meets. Later, when I moved to DC, I went to high school with a brother and sister who were also Olympic caliber swimmers. One made the team, one was an alternate.I found out years later that my family declined an opportunity to put me on an Olympic track, train at an Olympic facility. I'm glad I didn't know at the time, because for years that was my only dream and I would have hated my mother. The older me understood completely. My No, don't boycott is strictly personal, knowing the hopes and dreams, the sacrifices of athletes and their families will be dashed for, in their eyes, nothing. There is no other focus for them. For years, no life but the life sportif.I'd really like to see a massive, coordinated protest by the athletes, a shaming of some kind, at the closing ceremonies. I know there are plenty of talented people in the world who care about the issue who would jump at the chance to humiliate Russia, in the end.

TollandRCR

Postby TollandRCR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:41 pm

...I'd really like to see a massive, coordinated protest by the athletes, a shaming of some kind, at the closing ceremonies. I know there are plenty of talented people in the world who care about the issue who would jump at the chance to humiliate Russia, in the end.

The IOC would not dare to sanction hundreds of athletes who come from many nations with rainbow ribbons and fingernails.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:42 pm

The only thing really troubling is the potential for gay athletes to get arrested under Russian law. Would the Russian do that? I'm convinced nobody knows with any certainty.

Patagoniagirl

Postby Patagoniagirl » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:43 pm

...I'd really like to see a massive, coordinated protest by the athletes, a shaming of some kind, at the closing ceremonies. I know there are plenty of talented people in the world who care about the issue who would jump at the chance to humiliate Russia, in the end.

The IOC would not dare to sanction hundreds of athletes who come from many nations with rainbow ribbons and fingernails.

Good point. And I was wondering Kate...what was the reason for the decision your mother made?

ducktape

Postby ducktape » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I found out years later that my family declined an opportunity to put me on an Olympic track, train at an Olympic facility. I'm glad I didn't know at the time, because for years that was my only dream and I would have hated my mother. The older me understood completely. My No, don't boycott is strictly personal, knowing the hopes and dreams, the sacrifices of athletes and their families will be dashed for, in their eyes, nothing. There is no other focus for them. For years, no life but the life sportif.

The daughter of my ex's first cousin was an Olympic swimmer, winning three gold medals at the 1992 Barcelona games. I happened to Google her a couple of years ago and ran across an article that basically said that, after she achieved that, all of her motivation just evaporated, and she went back to college and almost flunked out. Everything had been wrapped around swimming competition, and it took her quite some time to find herself.

Return to “Social Issues”