2016: Jim Webb

Addie

Postby Addie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:13 pm

The Hill

Ex-Sen. Jim Webb 'seriously looking' at presidential bid

Former Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) said Tuesday that he is "seriously looking" at the possibility of running for president.

Webb is a former Navy secretary and Marine who fought in Vietnam. In comments at the National Press Club, he framed himself as someone able to work with both parties to get things done, and spoke out about the danger of interventions in the Middle East.

"We've had a lot of discussion among people that I respect and trust about the future of the country and we are going to continue having these discussions over the next four or five months," Webb said when asked about running for president in a question-and-answer session after his speech. ...

There has been some speculation that Webb could run as an independent, but he indicated that if he enters the race it will be as a Democrat.

"The answer is I'm a Democrat," he said. "I have strong reasons for being a Democrat. Basically if you want true fairness in society, you want to give a voice in the corridors of power for the people who otherwise would not have it, I believe that will come from the Democratic Party. And we're taking a hard look, and we'll get back to you in a few months."

Shut up! We can't hear the mimes! -Jacques Prévert, Les Enfants du Paradis

PatGund

Postby PatGund » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I'd be willing to support him.

Addie

Postby Addie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:31 am

Reuters

Former Senator Webb sets up panel to explore 2016 presidential bid

(Reuters) - Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb, a Democrat, became the first person to officially take serious steps towards a bid for the U.S. presidency in 2016 with the launch of an exploratory committee late on Wednesday.

"Americans want positive, visionary leadership that they can trust, at a time when our country is facing historic challenges," Webb, 68, wrote in a four-page letter on his website, Webb2016.com.

"I made this decision after reflecting on numerous political commentaries and listening to many knowledgeable people," he said. "I look forward to listening and talking with more people in the coming months as I decide whether or not to run."

By forming an exploratory committee, Webb is not committing to a full-scale campaign, but formally acknowledging his interest in pursuing the White House.

Addie

Postby Addie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Daily Beast

Hillary Gets a Challenger and He’s a Marine ...

It has all the trappings of a campaign as vanity project, the type of presidential exploration designed not to excite convention delegates but to boost a candidate’s name ID before cable-TV bookers. Webb, after all, would come into a Democratic primary with considerable baggage—never mind that he would likely be squaring off against Hillary Clinton, the most overwhelming favorite in an open Democratic primary in history. There is the fact that Webb used to be a Republican, a point he proudly points to in the video when he mentions his service in the Reagan administration. Or the fact that Webb, who decided not to run again after only one term in elective office, doesn’t seem to have the stomach for the degradations of politics. And the fact that Webb’s base of support lies among working-class whites, who are a diminishing constituency in a party made up more and more of liberals, minorities, and the professional classes. (“What a naïve and stupid thing to think that Democratic primary voters want,” wrote The Daily Kos in response to Webb’s kickoff video, calling Webb a hopeless crank and comic relief in the mold of Herman Cain.) ...

“Apparently 90 percent of Americans agree with him. They don’t like politics much these days either. Maybe Americans are willing to look at someone who does something different from the calculated. He gives those Americans a voice who say, ‘You know what, they are all crooks and bastards up there on Capitol Hill and I don’t want to have anything to do with them.’ I mean, look at that video! With all due respect, it was like something out of the 1970s. It wasn’t what you would see from an insider politician.” ...

“It ain’t about Hillary,” said Mudcat Saunders, a longtime Virginia strategist who worked on Webb’s Senate campaign. “It’s about bring the American dream to the forefront once again for working people and small business. The working people and small business—they haven’t had any representation in years. And they know it.

“Americans want to do something about this coin-operated government.”

The early line on Webb had been that he would be challenging Clinton from the right. It is a reasonable assumption, considering his roots in the Republican Party, in the Marines, and his proud Scots-Irish roots. But Webb’s aides insist it isn’t true. He is to the left of Hillary on foreign intervention, and is more populist on economic matters as well, talking about not just curbing the power of big banks but about an inequality agenda that goes beyond raising taxes and the minimum wage in order to help lower middle-class families gain more of a foothold. They see him bringing working-class whites and Southerners into the fold in a way that no other Democrat could.

Addie

Postby Addie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Des Moines Register

Democrat Jim Webb hires aide for Iowa 2016 work

Democrat Jim Webb has hired someone to run his efforts in Iowa, a sign he's getting closer to a possible run for president.

"Glad to report that Rania Batrice is joining our team as senior political adviser, including coordinating Iowa," Webb said in a statement shared with The Des Moines Register Monday night.

He would be a long shot with tough odds against the heavy Democratic favorite former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Webb, a Vietnam War veteran who served as U.S. Secretary of the Navy under Ronald Reagan, is solidly left but voted at times with Republicans during his four years in the U.S. Senate, representing Virginia from 2007 to 2013.

As he eyes a White House bid, he's appealing to the center of the 2016 electorate, talking about economic fairness, foreign policy, national infrastructure and a government where people from both political parties "work together for the common good."

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Jim Webb reminds me of Fred Thompson in terms of work ethic.

ducktape

Postby ducktape » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Yeah. Not gonna happen.

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm

I do miss Fred on "Law and Order." Hell, I miss "Law and Order."

magdalen77

Postby magdalen77 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Me too. I was very annoyed when it was canceled.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Webb tosses his hat into the ring

"Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb announced Thursday that he is running for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Webb, 69, revealed the decision to throw his hat in the ring via a lengthy open letter to his supporters, posted to his official website.

“We need a President who understands leadership, who has a proven record of actual accomplishments, who can bring about bipartisan solutions, who can bring people from both sides to the table to get things done,” he said."

That brings the democratic field up to 5 now. 

Hillary

Bernie

O'Malley

Chafee

Webb

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:00 pm

There are a lot of things I like about Webb.  One of them was his focus on prison reform. He passed legislation to get studies done and the task force made their reports and recommendations. Like everything else that was critical for our collective welfare to do, it has been collecting dust.  He has a military background and does not view war as a romantic adventure.  He has a broader view and sees the big picture of where we fit in the world.  I think he will add a point of view that would be lacking in the debate just as Bernie has.   I certainly would take him over any of the GOP circus clowns and carnival barkers.

Dayam, we have a horse race and anything can happen.

Addie

Postby Addie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:42 am

It will be good to have somebody pulling back in the white working class. Some of them will stick around and vote for the nominee.

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:30 am

The debates will be more interesting  this way. and there will be no more talk of this election being a coronation.

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Trump is 69, Sanders is what, 73?  And Webb is 69 too.  Should lessen the talk of HRC being too old to be President.

Family Liberty Patriot

Postby Family Liberty Patriot » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Trump is 69, Sanders is what, 73?  And Webb is 69 too.  Should lessen the talk of HRC being too old to be President.

For now; once the goopers have their younger nominee, expect such talk to return.

"Trump/Palin 2016: Because it is what America deserves." -TBogg

"I think what Trump has done is tap into people's desire to have a second-tier Batman villain run the country." - Andy Richter

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:57 pm

But Hillary Clinton will explain that she will make age an issue in the campaign, nor exploit, for political purposes, her opponent's youth and inexperience,

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:59 pm

The debates will be more interesting  this way. and there will be no more talk of this election being a coronation.

Wasn't that the talk 8 years ago about Hillary?   Not much of a coronation.

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Saw something the other day that proposed that the WH thinks Walker will be the GOP nominee.  He reminds me of Richard Nixon.  Plus I really think the President should have a college degree.

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Saw something the other day that proposed that the WH thinks Walker will be the GOP nominee.  He reminds me of Richard Nixon.  Plus I really think the President should have a college degree.

Aw, Filly he was only a few credits short of a degree.  How much difference does that make?

But he does lie with statistics.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/01/scott-walkers-education-boast/

All of them lie, just some lies are more cynical  than others.

In 1986, Walker worked as a volunteer for Tommy Thompson's gubernatorial campaign, and in the fall of that year, enrolled at Marquette University.[16] Within a few weeks of beginning studies, Walker became a student senator and a few weeks later led a probe involving student government leaders misusing funds during homecoming.[17] Walker's committee recommended impeachment of those being investigated, leading many to resign, and earning Walker enemies, a number of whom, according to Politifact, "continue to taunt him today".[18] In 1988, he ran for student government president. The election was very close, with Walker touting a 19-point resume, and was a cause for division on campus. On election day, a record number of students voted, with Walker losing 927 to 1,245, following an alleged infringement of campaign guidelines; an election commission later found Walker guilty of beginning his campaign one week before he was allowed. His opponent was impeached shortly after taking office but Walker did not apply for the position and discontinued his studies at Marquette in the spring of 1990. He left in good standing with, according to his campaign, a 2.6/4.0 grade point average but without obtaining a degree. Walker has said he dropped out of college when he received an offer for a full-time job with the American Red Cross; he had worked part-time in college for IBM selling warranties on mainframe computers which led to the American Red Cross position.[19][20][21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Walker_(politician)

Not staying around to get a sheepskin is not what troubles me about Scott Walker.  It's what he has done with the education he did get.

Family Liberty Patriot

Postby Family Liberty Patriot » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:11 pm

I agree that Walker will be the nominee and that he is the most Nixonian candidate since Nixon. As for the degree, it would be nice, but I'd just rather he be capable of independent thought; he is a Koch tool through-and-through.

"I think what Trump has done is tap into people's desire to have a second-tier Batman villain run the country." - Andy Richter

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Yes, it is his lack of compassion for the working class that makes me want to throttle* him. 

*   NATT (Not a throttle threat).

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:35 pm

I have often said that Presidents are only as good as the advice they get.  LBJ got bad advice from his advisors on the Communist threat and the Domino theory, but he got some pretty good advice on domestic issues.  Unfortunately,  for too many years, our foreign policy and anything to do with foreign relations (and defense) was under the iron- fisted control of our first self-appointed Federal Chancellor.  And that lasted until Cheney took over his role.

I still remember the answer he gave when a reporter asked him how he should be addressed since he carried two portfolios as NSA director and SOS.  Anyone else remember his answer?  It gave me the shivers.

Family Liberty Patriot

Postby Family Liberty Patriot » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:48 pm

It was in August 1973, during a dip in the presidential pool at Nixon's San Clemente home, that the President finally popped the question to the man who was already Secretary of State in all but name. "If you will let me, I would like to nominate you for Secretary of State tomorrow", Time claims was the Nixon approach.

We find it a little hard to believe Time's follow-up:  "No matter how prepared Henry Kissinger may have been for that moment, it still stunned him."

By the time the question was put to him, the de facto Secretary of State was already known as the architect of East-West detente, the chief spokesman for appeasement and rapprochement, the man whose "ping-pong diplomacy" secured the opening to Red China, the statesman who would bring peace to Southeast Asia, the brilliant diplomat who would defuse the powder-keggy Middle East.

Kissinger -- Time magazine's Man of the Year -- stunned?  About as stunned as Dean Martin upon being nominated to the Imbibers Hall of Fame.

The next day Kissinger greeted newsmen at the Western White House and demonstrated that modest was still not one of his hallmarks.  Asked how he now preferred to be addressed, he replied:  "Oh, I don't stand on protocol.  If you will just call me Excellency, it will be okay".

From Kissinger - The Book, by Gary Allen (link button not working.)

http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/homeland/kissinger/#.VZg34flViko

NB: That author of that book is a notorious wingnut/Bircher, but that event was actually witnessed by normal people, and occurred as recorded, despite the editorializing..

MRich

Postby MRich » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:05 pm

I agree that Walker will be the nominee and that he is the most Nixonian candidate since Nixon. As for the degree, it would be nice, but I'd just rather he be capable of independent thought; he is a Koch tool through-and-through.

What does "Nixonian" mean?  (When I googled it, it said "of or pertaining to Nixon", which isn't much help.) 

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Devious, nasty, underhanded.

Return to “Presidential Election”