Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 pm 

OK folks, betcha can't top this: I went swimming with a gorgeous mermaid today.

I'm in Hawaii at present -- Big Island, Kona District -- vacationing with my sister and two friends. As many of your Fogbowzers know, my sister's had a rough time lately fighting brain cancer. She kept saying that the one thing she'd like to do most was to "swim with the dolphins". So here we are.

It was a perfect day for the four of us to take our guided boat tour of the marine mammals in the area. The first part of our four-hour adventure involved finding pods of dolphins, figuring out which way they were headed and then motoring to a point where we could slip into the water ahead of them. If the calculations were correct (they always were, BTW), they'd swim right through us. So, if you've never tried it, it's somewhat of a passive activity to snokel around until they appear. That is, you don't chase after them -- it's up to to them to determine what interaction, if any, there will be.

After we returned to the boat after our first encounter, the captain (a very nice fellow extremely knowledgable about these wonderful creatures) estimated that the group that passed by us consisted of about 400 "spinner dolphins", ranging in size from little ones only a foot-and-a-half in length to adults up to 7' long. Some came so close that it would have been easy to reach out and touch them (although that was strictly verboten) and others playfully looped under us or around us.

Then we motored another 5-7 miles up the coast and located a different pod altogether. The second group was smaller, but more animated in producing their many-varied sounds. What's especially cool is that when one of them slows to check you out with their sonar (I'm told they can "see" your heart beat with their sonar), you can actually feel tingly vibes. I'm happy to say that my sister -- who's had a fair amount of experience snorkeling and scuba diving in her better days -- did quite well and enjoyed the day a great deal. It was an amazing experience to say the least.

After Round II of "swimming with the dolphins", the captain set out to find some whales. This, too, was amazingly successful. One 40' humpback whale went right under our 20' boat -- and at a fairly shallow depth that made viewing easy. Another breached and rolled so close to the boat that it was truly thrilling -- almost scary. This was one of my best sea-faring experiences ever!

I've mentioned the captain a couple of times, but almost forgot: Our swimming and snorkeling mate, who's named Dana, was a stunningly gorgeous mermaid. Seriously! You'll know what I mean when you play her YouTube video here:

She wasn't in costume today while she served as deck hand, instructor, underwater photographer, fellow swimmer and general good egg, but it's easy to imagine her almost blending in with the dolphins or the whales.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 pm 

Your sister is so lucky to have you! Will you be my pretend brother? How is your step-father doing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:50 pm 

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Mermaids. I need to get out more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:35 am 

Piffle -- you must have video and pictures of your trip!

• My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: “We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing.”
  • Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.
—Mother Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm 

She must have some serious ab muscles. :shock:

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 pm 

So glad you're having a great trip. Enjoy!

The opportunity that Hawai'i offered — to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect — became an integral part of my world view, and a basis for the values that I hold most dear ~ Barack Obama, 1999