Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:37 pm 

With further research I find the desert out there in that area is covered with butterfly/flower patterns. I still don’t have a clue what they are, but they don’t look Egyptian. It must be some sort of project is all I can figure.

I was curious about the walls though, but unless you zoom in close you can’t see them and they are too long to see where the go if you zoom out so I marked some so I could see where they go.

There are walls everywhere, and I don’t know if they are property boundaries or what. Some appear to be in a grid when you get closer to the green areas, but a little further out where I traced them they look different. Together they come to about a 15-mile (mostly) square area. Inside the walls I found some kool stuff.

So here it is with some of the kool things

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg

Attachment:
Untitled-2.jpg

So I’m pretty sure it’s…. ahhh, well, whatever it is I think I’ll call it The Butterfly City. Even though there are not really butterflies inside, there are lots in the surrounding desert. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:41 pm 

Occupation: Drone Maintenance @ "Drones RUs" - FAA Licensed and Certified "Drone Service Center©" Call (206) 622-0460 to schedule routine maintenance, warranty, and repairs. Emergencies - If we tell you, we have to bill you.
Looks to me like a Brigade size (~10K folks ) training area for tanks.

NOTICE:
This post is a natural product. The slight variation in spelling
and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:44 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
SueDB wrote:

Do you think after they finish practicing flowers they'll do white flags next?

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:20 pm 

Occupation: Drone Maintenance @ "Drones RUs" - FAA Licensed and Certified "Drone Service Center©" Call (206) 622-0460 to schedule routine maintenance, warranty, and repairs. Emergencies - If we tell you, we have to bill you.
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
SueDB wrote:

Do you think after they finish practicing flowers they'll do white flags next?

Not unless you using them to surrender to the Israeli Army.
Edit: stuffs

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:28 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
:sigh: That was the point of my post.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:30 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
:sigh: That was the point of my post.

They have been on the receiving end of US training and Aid. Notice those tanks during the Egyptian troubles really look like M-60 Patton tanks. They don't want to be embarrassed again after 60 years of incompetence.

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:42 pm 

29°30'18.96"N
47°23'46.44"E

Is an Iraqi Armor defensive set up. You can see that in several of the revetments, there is what looks like junk.

They look very similar with the U shaped revetments.

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 pm 

Maru - just saw your comment about visiting Lalibela. I grew up in Ethiopia. We need to talk ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 am 

Shagnastie wrote:
Maru - just saw your comment about visiting Lalibela. I grew up in Ethiopia. We need to talk ... :D

Definitely! I went to school for a year in Addis! I was there when they overthrew Haile Selassie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:57 am 

Shagnastie wrote:

I hope you and Maru gift us by sharing some of your experiences here. I can't imagine what it must have been like to grow up in a place so foreign from what most of here experienced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

What a goober I am. I missed Mr. Gneiss’s post about WaDI El Natrun. That’s what I get for not paying attention and reading all the answers to the question I asked, (that and not taking my Adderall). ](*,) I had no idea that mining natrum could, or would leave such marks. Shows what I know, but you learn something new every day. Very cool Mr. Gneiss thanks, mystery solved. The mining could also explain the U shaped areas and apparent structures, not necessarily tanks, but mining trucks maybe?

I knew the Fogbozers would come through. :hug:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:00 pm 

MsDaisy wrote:
I knew the Fogbozers would come through. :hug:

:twisted:
of course nobody mentioned the obvious: a certain Adobe product :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:40 am 

The other possibility is fighter aircraft revetments. Refuge for what's left of the Egyptian Air Force after getting their pee pees whacked, again.

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 am 

LiveScience has an interesting article about Stonehenge:Stonehenge Inspired by Sound Illusion, Archaeologist Suggests

I was lucky enough to visit Stonehenge back when you could still get up close and personal. I loved that the day was grey and had a gloomy, almost spooky, feel to it. As I looked across the open plain towards the woods, I had this quick flash of an image of men in primitive dress (not fancy robes) walking slowly out of the woods. I loved it because at far too many ancient sites that I've visited, try as I may, I can't "feel" the place as it was, all I can do is see it as it is which in may cases isn't much.

I've been to several other ancient sites that have some feature where the sun rise lies up in a certain way twice a year. I find it especially fascinating to think of of the years of effort that went into figuring out how to align things just so. I can imagine the first person to discover that there were patterns in the night sky and if you knew the patterns, you could accurately predict the time of year. It's one thing to observe the night sky, but to be track something that only happens once a year over who knows how many years -- and without the benefit of a way to write down the information (at least in the beginning) so that you can refer to it later -- I find that so incredible. I know how amazed when I first had access to pages and pages of computer print-outs and could finally make sense of the data I had and turn it into information. Most people think of primitive man as being "primitive" or less intelligent than we are today. But to be the first person to come up with an idea -- and to do it without the benefit of sharing it with someone whose has a similar idea because individual groups are small and widely separated from each other for the most part -- all I can say is Wow.

It doesn't surprise me that science and religion were inseparable in the beginning. Knowing how to predict something as important as when to start planting the fields was powerful. It was more powerful if you could make it appear magical. And with power, you got control of the people. Too bad that religion became more about keeping power by controlling those who lack the skills to understand that "magic" and religion was used to obscure truth, not shed light on it.

And thus endth the lesson for today. I hope you took good notes because this will be on the test :lol: :lol: :yikes: :mememe: .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm 

I listened to a book on CD some time ago called “Ireland” written and narrated by Frank Delaney. (A great book if you haven’t read it) :-bd

Link to book http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-Novel-Fra ... 781&sr=1-1

It was a story about a traveling storyteller. One of the stories the storyteller told was about the building of Newgrange. I was fascinated with that story and found out that the monument (located just north of Dublin) is actually older than the Pyramids. On the morning of the winter solstice the sun (if it’s shining, and in Ireland that’s a big if) sends a beam of light down the passage and fills the funeral bowel at the end with light. I went there last summer and it was really kool. They take you inside and turn off all the lights then simulate the sunrise. It was an amazing thing to see.

http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm 

MsDaisy wrote:
I listened to a book on CD some time ago called “Ireland” written and narrated by Frank Delaney. (A great book if you haven’t read it) :-bd

It was a story about a traveling storyteller. One of the stories the storyteller told was about the building of Newgrange. I was fascinated with that story and found out that the monument (located just north of Dublin) is actually older than the Pyramids. On the morning of the winter solstice the sun (if it’s shining, and in Ireland that’s a big if) sends a beam of light down the passage and fills the funeral bowel at the end with light. I went there last summer and it was really kool. They take you inside and turn off all the lights then simulate the sunrise. It was an amazing thing to see.

What a coincidence! I downloaded it to my kindle about ten days ago. As soon as I finish my biography of Empress Matilda, I will commence with Ireland.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm 

MsDaisy wrote:

I just put it on reserve at my local library. I've seen some documentaries highlighting ancient sites in Ireland and far northern parts of the British Isles. I can't recall if Newgrange was one of them. I love that new discoveries seem to be made on long lost sites -- or people have new insights or information about sites like Newgrange that have been little known outside of those experts in the field. What saddens me is how much history (or in many cases more accurately pre-history) has been lost to us forever. Where is the TARDIS when you need it? :(( :(( :((

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

It's a little creepy, but when I was in Dublin one of the first things I went to see were the bog people. Because they had been preserved in the bog, they were like tanned leather and you could still see their shoes, adornment etc. It was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 pm 

Maru wrote:
It's a little creepy, but when I was in Dublin one of the first things I went to see were the bog people. Because they had been preserved in the bog, they were like tanned leather and you could still see their shoes, adornment etc. It was pretty cool.

I wish I could have visited the site. I've seen close up pictures and the preservation is amazing. I enjoy visiting the macabre because that's as much a part of history and life as the rest of it, maybe more since it is history stripped of all the makeup and such.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 am 

majorbabs wrote:
Maru wrote:

I wish I could have visited the site. I've seen close up pictures and the preservation is amazing. I enjoy visiting the macabre because that's as much a part of history and life as the rest of it, maybe more since it is history stripped of all the makeup and such.

I think Maru just screamed and fainted.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:22 am 

Sometimes you see things that are not so pretty - The slave island off ??Sierra Leone??

But some folks are into that...

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:24 am 

Should we have a group concerning things on Google Earth or are there enough of those????

I'll support it. Any other takers??? Rooster? raicha???

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 am 

We got a lot of forums already. How about International Culture, or maybe Science and Technology?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am 

Foggy wrote:
We got a lot of forums already. How about International Culture, or maybe Science and Technology?

Thanks for listening.

Since I can't think up anything better than Sci/Tec. "Armchair Archeology (Google Earth)??

Gee, thanks for responding - for some reason I didn't think to look at the SCI/Tech where this thread can make itself at home here. I'm not stupid, but coffee and bacon make the world go round.

Ooooops.

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 am 

Whatever4 wrote:
majorbabs wrote:
Maru wrote:

I think Maru just screamed and fainted.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Well it's a good thing that I didn't mention that there was only one shoe style available -- a bunch of dirty, disease carrying rags tied up in a knot around the foot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next