Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:42 pm 

Okay I admit it; I always wanted to be an Egyptologist/Archaeologist. But it never happened so from time to time I play on Google Earth and just pretend. Today I found this in the desert.

Attachment:
Markings in the sand.jpg

WTF is it? Whatever it is there's about a 10-mile patch of it, and there are long walls in the sand around there. I thought they were roads, until I got in real close. Not roads.

Google Earth Coordinates (But you have to zoom in to about 1000 feet to be able to see it)
30°22’19.09”N 29°38’25.48”E

Anyone know a real archaeologist we can ask?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:52 pm 

I can't be sure, but I suspect that it is the long-sought mysterious source of a highly evolved life form known as bilderberg butterflies.

If you find out, MsDaisy, please keep us posted. That's a mega-kewl find, IMO.

If my hunch is correct, it's a sacred spot deserving the most stringent of environmental protection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
Probably a photographic anomaly.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:59 pm 

I think it is some kind of mining activity. There are buildings and other structures at the center of each of the 'flowers' when you get a closer view. Phosphates?

Salt?

http://heshameic.trustpass.alibaba.com/productlist.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 pm 

Looks like the wallpaper at my Aunt Angie's house. ;)

Turning the Scale.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:20 pm 

You might check out this site: http://googlesightseeing.com/2011/06/my ... week-2011/

It looks like you can join (?) and post such items for other enthusiasts to speculate or answer?

Very cool.

I concur that it seems man-made, but not ancient -- some kind of digging, burying, or the like... decommissioned oil wells? desalination?

unsound mind, a dimension of unreality, a dimension
of really, really bad law. You've just crossed over
into the Orly Zone."
-- Geritol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:27 pm 

verbalobe wrote:
You might check out this site: http://googlesightseeing.com/2011/06/my ... week-2011/

It looks like you can join (?) and post such items for other enthusiasts to speculate or answer?

Very cool.

I concur that it seems man-made, but not ancient -- some kind of digging, burying, or the like... decommissioned oil wells? desalination?

WMDs???

"Your politics have no relation to morals."-
Niccolo Machiavelli to the Tea Party

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:31 pm 

If you do a search on Egyptian rock phosphate mines or mining, you will see what it looks like on the ground. It could also be salt mining. Those of two of Egypt's top mineral exports. They even supply rock salt for de-icing streets.

http://heshameic.trustpass.alibaba.com/productlist.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:36 pm 

More geology than archeology. The imagery has all of the features of surface mining operations for evaporites. More particularly the "harvesting" of natron near Wadi El Natrun. Natron consists of hydrated sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate and halite. Archeology comes into play because natron was used in the mummification process.

Thanks Ms. Daisy for a geology post!!! :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm 

Fuckity fuckity
Fogbow's community
Answers all comers with
Wit, brains, and glee.

Fossils or rocks, even
Mummificational
Harvest of natron is
No match for We.

unsound mind, a dimension of unreality, a dimension
of really, really bad law. You've just crossed over
into the Orly Zone."
-- Geritol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:52 pm 

Offtopic :
You can imagine what my valentines would be like IF we celebrated it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:58 pm 

What desert was that in?

Where is Heinrich Schliemann when we need him? I too fantasized about archeology. Except for the dirt that would get under your nails. And the lack of room service. And very few nearby malls.

It's really cool though. Looks more like abstract art than anything man-made.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 pm 

The Nitrian Desert or the Scetis Desert near Wadi El Natrun.

Interesting stuff about the monasteries and the saints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi_El_Natrun

BTW halite = rock salt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi_El_Natrun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 pm 

Maru wrote:
What desert was that in?

Where is Heinrich Schliemann when we need him? I too fantasized about archeology. Except for the dirt that would get under your nails. And the lack of room service. And very few nearby malls.

It's really cool though. Looks more like abstract art than anything man-made.

Esseff44's post has more details, but think Alexandria Egypt and go west about 10 or 20 miles.

I can remember being 4 years old and my dream was to become an archeologist, especially one in Egypt. I thank my grandfather and his books on Egypt for getting me interested. I've been lucky enough to visit all but one of the sites that interested me as a child. I even got to visit some smaller sites in Crete. While I still love ancient history and the study of archeology, I'm glad I didn't go into it. My personality type hates dealing in the details and archeology is mostly dealing with the details like small pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 pm 

Many years ago the was a story circulating through the California boating community about some whitewater rafters in Mexico who discovered an ancient, buried city. I can't find the link now, in between making a cape for Sprout's costume and getting ready for V Day dinner with my sweetie :xo . I'll try later.

They had just finished an arduous portage through a rough section of river. Standing at the pinnacle of their portage, they looked back at the valley they had just rafted through and saw the unmistakable outlines of civilization. They were on a wilderness trip in the days before satellite phones and had deadlines to make or else their posse would call out the gendarmes, so they didn't go back just then to investigate. Instead they took pictures, sent them to NationalGeographic and ended up on the expedition several years later. They did find a buried city.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 pm 

listeme wrote:
Offtopic :

Offtopic :
It could be worse. Imagine if he were a cardiologist who brought his work home with him -- especially on days like today. :o :o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 pm 

One of my Roman history profs was part of the Caesarea dig and showed us progress as it was happening and when I was in the 6th grade we got to go to Lalibela during a dig. Way cool. I'm dying to go back now I could appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm 

Occupation: Cat petter, RN with license voluntarily inactive, just like Michelle Obama's law license.
listeme wrote:
Offtopic :

OMG! *wiping Pepsi off monitor & keyboard*.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 pm 

Maru wrote:
One of my Roman history profs was part of the Caesarea dig and showed us progress as it was happening and when I was in the 6th grade we got to go toLalibela during a dig. Way cool. I'm dying to go back now I could appreciate it.

While I love reading everything I can or watching documentaries on all things ancient, I'm always a bit disappointed when I see the sites in person. Many of the most ancient sites I've been to are literally little mounds of rocks outlining what would have been homes and other buildings. No matter how much I squeeze my eyes and squint to try to see the site as it might have looked, I never seem to get there.

I was extremely lucky when I visited Egypt. I was stationed in Germany and the University of Maryland had college course trips that combine both a guided tour and "classroom" study of ancient Egypt. The professor I had really made the trip into the dream trip I had hoped for. He was one of those kinds of professors who could history come alive and he had a deep and passionate love of ancient Egypt backed with years of living there as well as studying and teaching the subject. As expected, we visited a lot of tombs. With another professor or tour guide, the tombs could have quickly blurred together because, to be honest, if you can't read the hieroglyphs or if the wall art isn't exceptional, they start to look alike to the untrained eye. This guy knew how to not only point out the differences in a meaningful way but he added color with his stories of intrigue and/or scandal surrounding the tomb's owner. The whole trip was like that -- a mixture of straight history and a lot of juicy stuff to make it come fascinating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 am 

Occupation: Drone Maintenance @ "Drones RUs" - FAA Licensed and Certified "Drone Service Center©" Call (206) 622-0460 to schedule routine maintenance, warranty, and repairs. Emergencies - If we tell you, we have to bill you.
If you get too far west of Alexandria, you run into the battlefields of El Alamein. There are several War Memorial Graveyards located there both Allied and Axis.

NOTICE:
This post is a natural product. The slight variation in spelling
and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 am 

In the spirit of this thread:

My little sister just bought a house in the Kansas City area to renovate and rent it. The rumor is that Harry Truman used to play poker at the house and swim in the old swimming pool (now a metal rusty tank).

They are renovating the house and were ripping out cabinets in the basement that covered the whole wall. Upon ripping put one section of cabinets, they found a secret room behind the cabinets that was sealed by a metal vault door. In that room they found about a hundred moonshine, gin, and champaign bottles. It appears to be an old speakeasy. There were also crates which had handwriting like "to Pendergast".

Pretty cool.

Emergency Medicine Resident Physician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:11 pm 

Old Grunt wrote:
In the spirit of this thread:

My little sister just bought a house in the Kansas City area to renovate and rent it. The rumor is that Harry Truman used to play poker at the house and swim in the old swimming pool (now a metal rusty tank).

They are renovating the house and were ripping out cabinets in the basement that covered the whole wall. Upon ripping put one section of cabinets, they found a secret room behind the cabinets that was sealed by a metal vault door. In that room they found about a hundred moonshine, gin, and champaign bottles. It appears to be an old speakeasy. Their were also crates which had handwriting like "to Pendergast".

Pretty cool.

VERY cool... and perhaps very lucrative.

I lurve these kind of stories. :-bd

Image x 3 Image x 21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:31 pm 

MsDaisy wrote:
Okay I admit it; I always wanted to be an Egyptologist/Archaeologist. But it never happened so from time to time I play on Google Earth and just pretend. Today I found this in the desert.

Attachment:
Markings in the sand.jpg

WTF is it? Whatever it is there's about a 10-mile patch of it, and there are long walls in the sand around there. I thought they were roads, until I got in real close. Not roads.

Google Earth Coordinates (But you have to zoom in to about 1000 feet to be able to see it)
30°22’19.09”N 29°38’25.48”E

Anyone know a real archaeologist we can ask?

You need to use a seer stone and look at that while your face is buried in a hat. If you write a book and start a Church, MsDaisy, I'll attend your services.

Burying your face in the hat does the most good. With a little oxyden starvation, you'll interpret the most unusual things.