Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:28 pm 

Offtopic :
It scares the bejesus out of me when I see all the green. Makes me think my post will be off-topic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:07 pm 

Quote:

President Barack Obama drinks a Guinness with his ancestral cousin from Moneygall Ireland Henry Healy, center, and the owner of the pub in Moneygall Ireland, Ollie Hayes, right, at The Dubliner Restaurant and Pub and Restaurant on St. Patrick's Day, Saturday, March 17, 2012, in Washington.

More pics at DU.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:23 pm 

Today's helping of corned beef is courtesy of Moishe's Pippic Jewish deli, washed down with a glass of white wine from Napa's Folie à Deux. :mrgreen:

Sláinte! L'chaim! Cheers! À votre santé!

“I have seen purer liquors, better segars, finer tobacco, truer guns and pistols, larger dirk and Bowie knives, and prettier courtesans here in San Francisco than in any other place I have ever visited, and it is my un-biased opinion that California can and does furnish the best bad things that are obtainable in America." Hinton R. Helper -1855

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:34 pm 

Occupation: Drone Maintenance @ "Drones RUs" - FAA Licensed and Certified "Drone Service Center©" Call (206) 622-0460 to schedule routine maintenance, warranty, and repairs. Emergencies - If we tell you, we have to bill you.
I was about ready to dye may kittehs green for today, but I thought the better of it...

English - Scotch - Irish here...

I am in a constant state of confusion since the English hate the Scots, and the Irish, but the Scots hate the English and Irish, and the Irish hate the English and the Scots. (although lots of Englanders have been living in Northern Ireland along with the population of the Scots-Irish).

Edit: Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya.

NOTICE:
This post is a natural product. The slight variation in spelling
and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:34 pm 

Foggy wrote:
xKat wrote:
It seems wrong to be green to me ... I intentionally wear orange on St. Patrick's day every year.
Join the Gadflies for a day. They're orange. Then you can unjoin tomorrow. And Muckey could leave the Gadflies for a day and join the greenies.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's too much work (and I'm already at work for the whole day). I'll just wear my little bit of green proudly for a few more hours.

Besides, the green goes really well with my O'Bama 2012 pint glass that I use it at work (for water only unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:39 pm 

Adelante wrote:
Quote:

President Barack Obama drinks a Guinness with his ancestral cousin from Moneygall Ireland Henry Healy, center, and the owner of the pub in Moneygall Ireland, Ollie Hayes, right, at The Dubliner Restaurant and Pub and Restaurant on St. Patrick's Day, Saturday, March 17, 2012, in Washington.

More pics at DU.

Dang. I love the Dubliner and would have liked to see the Pres and watch some hoops.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:50 pm 

A little Irish tour for St. Paddy’s day…

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in before you can view hidden messages

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm 

It's well worth mentioning that this is also National Corndog Day!

Quote:
Heaven on a stick: March 17 marks the 20th annual National Corndog Day

It was 20 years ago this March that Brady Sahnow was a witness to history. So was Sahnow’s friend, Henry Otley. And their stomachs were right in the middle of the action.
It was, Sahnow recalls, the first Saturday of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.
Sahnow and Otley, students at the time, were hunkered down in Sahnow’s basement in Corvallis, watching the four tournament games that were televised back-to-back on that Saturday.
The story – now, really, the stuff of legend – goes that Sahnow’s father, Stan, thought the boys needed sustenance for a full day of watching basketball on the tube. And so he reached into the freezer and pulled out what he thought was fitting fare.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 pm 

Kyle O'Quinn and his teammates wearing green celebrated a day early.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:11 pm 

Huffington Post

Quote:
President Obama joined the ranks of tipsy revelers across the nation by ringing in St. Patrick's Day with a pint of Guinness.

Obama stopped by The Dubliner in Washington, D.C. on Saturday afternoon wearing a green jacket, the AP reported. According to pool reports, he was welcomed with chants of "USA! USA! USA!" and "Four more years!". ...

Obama's celebrations will continue this week. On Tuesday, he and Vice President Biden will meet with Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny and attend a St. Patrick's Day lunch. The Obama 2012 campaign even debuted a special set of apparel just for the occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 pm 

Big deal for the wearers of the green. They're okay, just no big deal. :)

Wearers of the kilt (not to mention the tartan) ARE worthy of celebration!

• My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: “We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing.”
  • Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.
—Mother Jones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 pm 

I miss Alexander McQueen. He sure knew how to sew some tartan.

I don't eat meat and don't like cabbage. Are snow peas green enough for St Pattys?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:24 pm 

“The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.”

― Alan Moore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:48 pm 

Would just like to point out that Corned Beef and Cabbage is an entirely American invention, it has no connection to Ireland at all. To begin with the Irish would have no connection to Corned beef, a more traditional Irish Meal would have been Irish Stew (which is so much better than Corned Beef and Cabbage that it cannot be repeated) there is NOTHING better in the world than a good old fashioned Irish Stew, especially if it is served in a bread bowl. To celebrate St. Paddy's day with corned beef and cabbage is the equivalent of celebrating the Chinese New Year with fortune cookies.

http://crittersbybritty.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 am 

I had Bangers and Mash with Boddington Pub Ale, both of which are English, for dinner. Both were delicious!

“The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.”

― Alan Moore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 am 

Occupation: Drone Maintenance @ "Drones RUs" - FAA Licensed and Certified "Drone Service Center©" Call (206) 622-0460 to schedule routine maintenance, warranty, and repairs. Emergencies - If we tell you, we have to bill you.
Highlands wrote:
I had Bangers and Mash with Boddington Pub Ale, both of which are English, for dinner. Both were delicious!

Best I can do for real bangers is to go up to Vancouver BC to one of the English style breakfast mom and pop joints. I get the urge every once in a while to drive 3 1/2 hours and put up with the border bullshit.

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:20 am 

Boston celebrates Evacuation Day today, when the Brits left Boston in 1776. It's a legal holiday for Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville, so government offices and schools are closed. (It's a bigger deal when March 17 falls on a weekday.) It does not, it seems, refer to what pseudo-Irish amateur drinkers do after too much Irish cheer.

There were huge lines outside the Irish bars starting at noon. Thank goodness the massive power outage in the Back Bay got fixed in time-- where would all those soon-to-be-drunk people have gone?

Note to self -- when there's a huge power outage in the area your supermarket is in, choose another supermarket for a few days. And don't buy the sushi unless you want to celebrate Evacuation Day... :sick:

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:32 am 

Offtopic :
ZekeB wrote:
It scares the bejesus out of me when I see all the green. Makes me think my post will be off-topic.
Well, it was fun for a day, but everybody should be back to their correct color. If not, lemme know.

Thanks to Britty for that "Irish don't eat corned beef and cabbage on St. Patty's Day" thingy. Taking my life in my hands, I will suggest to ol' Wifehorn that we change our traditional meal to Irish stew, just like real Earthlings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 am 

Foggy wrote:
Offtopic :
ZekeB wrote:
Well, it was fun for a day, but everybody should be back to their correct color. If not, lemme know.

Thanks to Britty for that "Irish don't eat corned beef and cabbage on St. Patty's Day" thingy. Taking my life in my hands, I will suggest to ol' Wifehorn that we change our traditional meal to Irish stew, just like real Earthlings.

I would think about it, but I'm not that keen on mutton/lamb.

NOTICE:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 am 

This is the recipie from the Irish food board. I actually make it a bit differently using a slow cooker but I cant find the recipie right now.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes ... hstew.aspx

Quote:

Serves 4-6
Irish Stew
Ingredients

1-1½ kg neck or shoulder of lamb
Bouquet of parsley, thyme and bayleaf (tied together with twine)
3 large onions, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 small turnip, chopped into bite-sized pieces
Some small new potatoes, peeled and quartered, or large potatoes, peeled and chopped
75-100g cabbage, shredded
Finely chopped parsley and dash of Worcester Sauce

To Cook
Method

Remove the meat from the bone, trim off all the fat and cut into cubes. Keep the bones, place the meat in a pot, cover with cold salted water. Bring to the boil, drain and rinse the lamb.

In a fresh pot put the meat, bones, bouquet of herbs, onions, seasoning, carrots, leeks and turnip and cover with water. Simmer gently for one hour. Skim off the foam as it rises. (this is very important for the final flavour and appearance of the stew.) Add the potatoes and continue cooking for 25 minutes. For the last 5 minutes add in the cabbage. When the meat and vegetables are cooked remove the bones and bouquet for herbs. Stir in the chopped parsley and a dash of Worcester sauce. Serve in deep bowls with soda bread.

And yeah, corned beef and cabbage is no way an Irish dish. I ate a lot of bacon, cabbage and potatos growing up, but thats about it. Irish stew is totally delicious however.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:03 am 

European Cuisines Ireland: Why We Have No Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipes

What they did have is Boiled Bacon and Cabbage. The bacon was brined at home. When the Irish migrated to the U.S., they found cheaper beef and cheaper salt, which may have made our traditional corned beef and cabbage a reasonable substitute for boiled bacon and cabbage.

In a big difference with the shopping habits of most Americans, the recipe for boiled bacon and cabbage says
Quote:
When the bacon is ready [after 48 hours in brine], buy fresh:
Quote:
1 medium-sized cabbage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 am 

Offtopic :
Foggy wrote:

Psst. Default color used to be blue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:54 am 
I want the jacket. Part of an LL Bean/ National Parks promotion, borrowing the slogan from Ken Burns' National Parks PBS series "National Parks. America's Best Idea". Does POTUS have the only one? Heh, Obama campaign, people'd buy the thing, put it in the Obama store.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 am 

yep, boiled bacon and cabbage and potatos is what I grew up on.

And obama really seems to be enjoying his pint in that photo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 pm 
listeme wrote:
Offtopic :
Foggy wrote:

Psst. Default color used to be blue.

Default? Hmmpf. That blue was the official color of The Beloved Herd, not just some default peoples. Beloved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next