Christian Extremists

Whatever4

Re: Christian Extremists

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:27 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Estiveo wrote:What the hell ever happened to Kenyabornobamacorn? Smokers hack finally get to her? Strangled by her own leggings?
Very glad about the guilty rulings, but OMG I'd totally forgotten about Obamacorn. It's been years since we heard anything about him, but I'd be willing to bet he's somewhere at, or has been at a Trump rally, probably sucker punching minorities. Next to Orly Taitz, being a wicked witch type, he was one of the first Flying Monkey types I think ever caught me off guard with one of those WTF moments, followed by one of those "you've got to be fucking kidding me" moments. But he wasn't kidding. :brickwallsmall:
Her, Tracy Fair.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
MsDaisy wrote:
Estiveo wrote:What the hell ever happened to Kenyabornobamacorn? Smokers hack finally get to her? Strangled by her own leggings?
Very glad about the guilty rulings, but OMG I'd totally forgotten about Obamacorn. It's been years since we heard anything about him, but I'd be willing to bet he's somewhere at, or has been at a Trump rally, probably sucker punching minorities. Next to Orly Taitz, being a wicked witch type, he was one of the first Flying Monkey types I think ever caught me off guard with one of those WTF moments, followed by one of those "you've got to be fucking kidding me" moments. But he wasn't kidding. :brickwallsmall:
Her, Tracy Fair.
Honest and totally understandable mistake.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:The only Google result on this statement in quotes other than on the Fogbow is as follows:

Rav KellyL - Twitter
twitter.com/ExitPass/status/746344480404541440
Jun 24, 2016 - "A well-armed and poorly-trained populace is the simplest manner of ridding the nation of its eyes." George Washington, 1801 #NoBillNoBreak.

I couldn't even find it in on any misattributed/bogus quotes page. So, I'm going to call BS on this quote. Especially since GW did in fact die in 1799; I have one of the Washington mourning medallions issued that year.

25742117415_417d7a279c_m.jpg
Guys, guys, guys... It's Georgie saying you'll put your eye out with that thing. Of course it's nonsense. Leftover from the Thomas Jefferson craze.
Yeah, I retweeted that. it's a great fake quote.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 pm

I cannot find this in any collection of Washington writings. Using the phrase "well-armed but poorly trained" (with and without the hyphen) I found lots of non-Washington quotations, none of them about ridding the eyes, but all of them about how even a large army that is well-armed but ... is a push-over for a smaller but highly disciplined & motivated force, with many historical examples.

A pity, I was hoping for a good anti-NRA quote.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:22 pm

Fortinbras wrote:I cannot find this in any collection of Washington writings. Using the phrase "well-armed but poorly trained" (with and without the hyphen) I found lots of non-Washington quotations, none of them about ridding the eyes, but all of them about how even a large army that is well-armed but ... is a push-over for a smaller but highly disciplined & motivated force, with many historical examples.

A pity, I was hoping for a good anti-NRA quote.
Well, did you look in the obituary section since he supposedly said it after he was dead, so, you know.......

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:39 pm

:lol:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:
MsDaisy wrote:
Her, Tracy Fair.
:shock:

ETA, okay, for a her she was the biggest dickhead I can remember from the time.

Birfers are toast

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:
MsDaisy wrote:
Her, Tracy Fair.
Since she sounds like Joe Cocker.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Her facebook for her KBO persona. Its not very active.

https://www.facebook.com/KenyanBornObama/

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 am

Suranis wrote:Her facebook for her KBO persona. Its not very active.

https://www.facebook.com/KenyanBornObama/
Mebbe she finally got her meds adjusted. :o

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 am

This is a pretty disturbing story about a church that has a history of "stealing" kids and, in at least one case, a judge giving church members custody of other people's kids in spite of having the opinion that the church put undue influence on the kids.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-me ... spartandhp

Ex-members say church uses power, lies to keep grip on kids
As a court-appointed advocate for two foster boys, it was Nancy Burnette's job to ensure they were in good hands. So as part of her casework, she visited Word of Faith Fellowship, the evangelical church they attended with the couple seeking to adopt them.

What happened next haunts her: In the middle of the service, the chanting and singing suddenly stopped, Burnette said, and the fiery pastor pointed at Burnette, accusing her of being "wicked." ''You are here to cause strife!" she recalled Jane Whaley shouting, as she sensed congregants begin to converge upon her. "You don't think these kids are supposed to be here!"

Terrified, Burnette left, but not before promising the boys, ages 4 and almost 2, that she would return — a promise she ultimately could not keep.
a whole lot more at the link. Here is the link again:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 am

I didn't realize we had this thread. Cross-posting:

LA Times - Kathryn Brightbill
Roy Moore's alleged pursuit of a young girl is the symptom of a larger problem in evangelical circles

We need to talk about the segment of American culture that probably doesn’t think the allegations against Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore are particularly damning, the segment that will blanch at only two accusations in the Washington Post expose: He pursued a 14-year-old-girl without first getting her parents’ permission, and he initiated sexual contact outside of marriage. That segment is evangelicalism. In that world, which Moore travels in and I grew up in, 14-year-old girls courting adult men isn’t uncommon.

I use the phrase “14-year-old girls courting adult men,” rather than “adult men courting 14-year-old girls,” for a reason: Evangelicals routinely frame these relationships in those terms. That’s how I was introduced to these relationships as a home-schooled teenager in the 1990s, and it’s the language that my friends and I would use to discuss girls we knew who were in parent-sanctioned relationships with older men. ...

Much of the sexual abuse that takes place in Independent Fundamentalist Baptist, or IFB, churches involves adult men targeting 14- to 16-year-old girls. If caught, the teenage victim may be forced to repent the “sin” of having seduced an adult man. Former IFB megachurch pastor Jack Schaap argued that he should be released from prison after being convicted of molesting a 16-year-old girl, asserting that the “aggressiveness” of his victim “inhibited [his] impulse control.” In the wake of the Schaap case, numerous other stories emerged of sexual abuse cover-ups involving teenage girls at IFB churches. In another high-profile case, pregnant 15-year-old Tina Anderson, who was raped by a church deacon twice her age, was forced to confess her “sin” to the congregation. ...

The evangelical world is overdue for a reckoning. Women raised in evangelicalism and fundamentalism have for years discussed the normalization of child sexual abuse. We’ve told our stories on social media and on our blogs and various online platforms, but until the Roy Moore story broke, mainstream American society barely paid attention. Everyone assumed this was an isolated, fringe issue. It isn’t.

¡Qué vergüenza!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

RVInit wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 am
This is a pretty disturbing story about a church that has a history of "stealing" kids and, in at least one case, a judge giving church members custody of other people's kids in spite of having the opinion that the church put undue influence on the kids.

Ex-members say church uses power, lies to keep grip on kids
As a court-appointed advocate for two foster boys, it was Nancy Burnette's job to ensure they were in good hands. So as part of her casework, she visited Word of Faith Fellowship, the evangelical church they attended with the couple seeking to adopt them.

What happened next haunts her: In the middle of the service, the chanting and singing suddenly stopped, Burnette said, and the fiery pastor pointed at Burnette, accusing her of being "wicked." ''You are here to cause strife!" she recalled Jane Whaley shouting, as she sensed congregants begin to converge upon her. "You don't think these kids are supposed to be here!"

Terrified, Burnette left, but not before promising the boys, ages 4 and almost 2, that she would return — a promise she ultimately could not keep.
a whole lot more at the link. Here is the link again:

I read the entire article and it's horrifying that something like that is going on in this country today.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm

In Tax Debate, Gift to Religious Right Could Be Bargaining Chip
WASHINGTON — For years, a coalition of well-funded groups on the religious right have waged an uphill battle to repeal a 1954 law that bans churches and other nonprofit groups from engaging in political activity.

Now, those groups are edging toward a once-improbable victory as Republican lawmakers, with the enthusiastic backing of President Trump, prepare to rewrite large swaths of the United States tax code as part of the $1.5 trillion tax package moving through Congress.

Among the changes in the tax bill that passed the House this month is a provision to roll back the 1954 ban, a move that is championed by the religious right, but opposed by thousands of religious and nonprofit leaders, who warn that it could blur the line between charity and politics.

The change could turn churches into a well-funded political force, with donors diverting as much as $1.7 billion each year from traditional political committees to churches and other nonprofit groups that could legally engage in partisan politics for the first time, according to an estimate by the nonpartisan congressional Joint Committee on Taxation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/us/po ... -news&_r=0

Birfers are toast

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm
:snippity: :snippity:

The change could turn churches into a well-funded political force, with donors diverting as much as $1.7 billion each year from traditional political committees to churches and other nonprofit groups that could legally engage in partisan politics for the first time, according to an estimate by the nonpartisan congressional Joint Committee on Taxation.
I wonder if the religious right has considered the possible consequences such as wealthy Muslim countries (examples Saudi Arabia and Iran) could fund US based mosques who could then fund political action groups.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm
:snippity:

I wonder if the religious right has considered the possible consequences such as wealthy Muslim countries (examples Saudi Arabia and Iran) could fund US based mosques who could then fund political action groups.
Now anyone will be able to declare any association a "religious organization" and funnel tax deductible donnations to political parties.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm
MsDaisy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm
:snippity: :snippity:

Well some of them shit bricks when they discovered that school vouchers could also be used for Muslim schools, not just Christian ones. :lol:

"Vouchers can be used for Muslim Schools? OOPS!"http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2012/7/ ... hools-OOPS

Birfers are toast

Return to “Religion”