Spelling Bee Winner!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Spelling Bee Winner!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:02 am

Fresno sixth-grader spells 'marocain' to become surprise winner of Scripps National Spelling Bee
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html
“It's like a dream come true,” Ananya said. “I'm so happy right now.”

Later, she flashed a broad and toothy grin as she lingered on stage accepting congratulations. She will take home more than $40,000 in cash and prizes.

It was the first time since 2013 that the bee declared a sole champion. After three straight years of ties, the bee added a tiebreaker test this year, and it looked like it might come into play as Ananya and Rohan dueled for 21 of the allotted 25 championship rounds.

Ananya is the 13th consecutive Indian American to win the bee and the 18th of the past 22 winners with Indian heritage, a run that began in 1999 with Nupur Lala's victory, which was featured in the documentary “Spellbound.” Like most of her predecessors, she honed her craft in highly competitive national bees that are limited to Indian Americans, the North South Foundation and the South Asian Spelling Bee, although she did not win either.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Chilidog

Re: Spelling Bee Winner!

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:04 am

"Covfefe" Can you use it in a sentence, please?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:24 am

Chilidog wrote:"Covfefe" Can you use it in a sentence, please?
:rotflmao:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:01 pm

My Indian friend has this splashed all over her facebook. She is the daughter of friends of hers. :bighug:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:18 pm

kate520 wrote:My Indian friend has this splashed all over her facebook. She is the daughter of friends of hers. :bighug:
:thumbs:

I came in second at my school level spelling bee when I was in the 4th grade. The following year I was determined to make first at the school level so I could participate at county level. I won my class bee, but I wiped out at the school level on the word anniversary. :( I knew how to spell it and thought I had said both of the n's and I only had said one of them. I was so disappointed because I really enjoyed the spelling bee, was good at it and wanted to go on to county. My first year when I came in 2nd for my school I got to go to the county bee just in case the 1st place school winner got sick or chickened out. I had to sit in the audience. Our first place winner only got to round 4 or 5 I think. The teacher that went with us was making fun of the way the announcer pronounced the word "huckleberry". That was one of the first round words. I had to listen to her repeat that word I don't know how many times while we sat there watching the bee. She was the gym teacher. I guess she drew the short straw and had to take the two nerds to the county spelling bee. I don't remember her name but I remember her saying huckleberry. :lol:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”