Re: United Airlines - Flying the unfriendly skies

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:23 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Overhead bins fit fairly snug. No air recycling. Speculating: dog used up oxygen, maybe overheated in this compartment, heart attack due to this expierience.
I doubt the overhead bins are airtight. That would make opening them after the cabin has been pressurized to be difficult.

If the dog died from stress, then I also doubt it would have fared better under the seat.

No doubt all kinds of things are possible. I'm just curious as to the connection between "dog placed in overhead bin" and "dog died", and the assumption that these two things are related as cause and effect.
All short-muzzled dogs are susceptible to breathing issues.
That's what I was thinking. Add to the mix the possibility/probability of a bag shifting to block airholes - or even the stressed owners failing to properly ensure the airholes were cleared - and I've got no problems seeing how overhead could lead to death. And that's before you consider the possibility that the increased stress from "alone and in the dark" versus "some light and at owner's feet" played a role.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 am
If the dog died from stress, then I also doubt it would have fared better under the seat
No, I think MikeD is right, there's a big difference between "alone and in the dark" versus "some light and at owner's feet".

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm

The stress pets experienced when shipped and the real possibility of injury or death are the reason why so many people are claiming their pets are comfort animals.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:29 am

About 18 years ago my wife and I transported my parents' chihuahua from Miami to DC (this was in 1999, before all the security craziness). We had heard horror stories about pets smothering or freezing in the cargo section, and we knew that the chihuahua would be traumatized by being alone in the noise and pressure changes in the cargo section, so we insisted on taking her with us into the passenger cabin. The airline insisted (1) that she be kept at all time in a carrier small enough to slide under the seat in front of us, (2) that her carrier be kept under the seat in front, and (3) that she could only be allowed on a flight that did not have more than two other pets in the cabin. Fortunately, she fit in a small enough carrier and there were flights with few enough pets. The first flight was full but the stewardess was willing to let me take the carrier onto my lap and open a little flap on top that allowed the dog to stick her head (only her head) out, when the seatbelts could be unbuckled. The second flight was not full, my wife and I had a three-seat row and we put the carrier in the seat between us. Fortunately the chihuahua was good as gold, didn't bark even once, not in the terminal and not aboard the plane even with the pressure changes.

I mention this to show that airlines know better than to jam a dog into an overhead bin. A dog small enough for the overhead bin and allowed aboard the passenger cabin to begin with, should have been small enough to stay with its owner. And a dog too big for the passenger cabin maybe should not be relegated to the cargo section because that section is probably not heated, not adequately breathable, and frighteningly noisy; consider another form of transportation.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 am

Cruella.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 pm

One more than one airline flight I had wished someone had put a screaming infant into an overheard compartment, but nobody did. Yet.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 pm

I was on a flight one time and the woman with the window seat had a little dog in a carrier under her seat. I had the aisle seat. The woman in the middle seat turned me, and said, “I am allergic to dogs, so you are going to have to trade seats with me.“ I said, “I don’t think so. If you want to move, call the flight attendant.” So the woman rang for the flight attendant, and the flight attendant moved her to a middle seat in the very last row. And no one came and sat in the middle seat, so the woman with the dog asked if I minded if she brought the dog in his carrier and put them in the seat between us because he was less likely to whine if he could see her face. Of course, I didn’t mind. He was a cute little thing.

I am not unsympathetic to people with allergies. I now have food allergies that I did not have growing up. Allergies suck. And if the flight had been full, I probably would’ve traded with her. But I knew the flight attendant would be able to find a seat for her.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”