Creepy Commercials and Advertising

Orlylicious

Re: Creepy Commercials and Advertising

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:01 pm

It must be working, it's still running... we're thinking of doing a shot when she says it :lol:

Funny story about it:
What?! You are bathing the children?! Why would you tell a random man who rings your doorbell that that you can't come to the door because you are bathing your children?! How about, "I'm cleaning my rifle.", "I'm practicing jujitsu.", or "I'm waxing my husband's large muscular chest."
http://thetaylorinhaler.blogspot.com/20 ... eview.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh6QqvuagMI

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:17 am

Hadn't seen Jim Bakker in a long time... Survival Food :lol:

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 am

Seeing that and the other Jim Bakker commercials for his particular k-rations reveals that Bakker's big sales pitch is not that a hurricane might hit your home in New Orleans or Puerto Rico and the Republic President would be slow to pull his thumb out and do the right thing. It's not that our President's dear friend in Moscow might arrange a cyber-attack on our power grid and scramble grocery deliveries for months and months. Nor even that climate change would cause crop failures and widespread drought and wildfires that would result in crop failures.

It's that the Rapture will happen and YOU WILL BE LEFT BEHIND! Yes, you, you benighted sinner, would be unworthy of being taken up to Heaven, you will be condemned to endure Satan's thousand years of unopposed rule on Earth .... and good ol' Jim Bakker wants to take your sin-stained money to make sure that a vile reprobate like yourself is kept fat and jolly through your well-deserved Hell on Earth. And you're gonna pay it because, as Jim says, when the Tribulation hits the fan gold and silver won't be worth anything but only food will have value -- and you know for sure that you ain't gonna be called up yonder. (By the way, some foodies who have sampled the stuff Bakker is peddling have suggested that, after four days, you may decide that weaker members of your family are expendible, with steak sauce.)

Somehow this is not quite what I expected from a Bible thumper.

(By the way, in the commercial shown, he makes reference, while talking about the powdered milk - he evidently assumes that when you won't have access to fresh groceries you will still have access to pure water - he uses a word that sounds like "shimeed". I tried several possible spellings and couldn't find this in a collegiate dictionary and hope someone can clarify it for me.)

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 am
Seeing that and the other Jim Bakker commercials for his particular k-rations reveals that Bakker's big sales pitch is not that a hurricane might hit your home in New Orleans or Puerto Rico and the Republic President would be slow to pull his thumb out and do the right thing. It's not that our President's dear friend in Moscow might arrange a cyber-attack on our power grid and scramble grocery deliveries for months and months. Nor even that climate change would cause crop failures and widespread drought and wildfires that would result in crop failures.
<SNIP>

(By the way, in the commercial shown, he makes reference, while talking about the powdered milk - he evidently assumes that when you won't have access to fresh groceries you will still have access to pure water - he uses a word that sounds like "shimeed". I tried several possible spellings and couldn't find this in a collegiate dictionary and hope someone can clarify it for me.)
I tried different spellings also. Plus using phrases about God's judgment. I didn't get anything close.

My guess it does have to do with the hurricanes.
People would think the storms are over, no need to buy the emergency food.
He reminds "us" that the storms are just the beginning.

This is a different video at this article.

Disgraced pastor Jim Bakker says Hurricane Harvey was 'judgment' from God while selling his Tasty Pantry bucket for $175
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3473935

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 am

Well you know a person has to have something to eat when they go to heaven. With the inrush of Republicans the logistics of feeding everyone might not be in place for the first few days.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 am

In Heaven the righteous will be feasting on the leviathan, an enormous kosher fish (with fins and scales, not a shellfish).

June bug

Post by June bug » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:40 am

Fortinbras wrote:
:snippity:
It's not that our President's dear friend in Moscow might arrange a cyber-attack on our power grid and scramble grocery deliveries for months and months. Nor even that climate change would cause crop failures and widespread drought and wildfires that would result in crop failures.

It's that the Rapture will happen and YOU WILL BE LEFT BEHIND! Yes, you, you benighted sinner, would be unworthy of being taken up to Heaven, you will be condemned to endure Satan's thousand years of unopposed rule on Earth .... and good ol' Jim Bakker wants to take your sin-stained money to make sure that a vile reprobate like yourself is kept fat and jolly through your well-deserved Hell on Earth. And you're gonna pay it because, as Jim says, when the Tribulation hits the fan gold and silver won't be worth anything but only food will have value -- and you know for sure that you ain't gonna be called up yonder. (By the way, some foodies who have sampled the stuff Bakker is peddling have suggested that, after four days, you may decide that weaker members of your family are expendible, with steak sauce.)

:snippity:
Absolutely loved this, Forty - you nailed it!!! :lol: :clap: :lol:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 am

He popped off the radar for a long time after his fall from grace. I would have thought some prison time and the loss of nearly everything he had would have changed him for the better. I saw an interview of him (and his son, I think) in the last year or two. It changed him all right; it made him more bat shit crazy than ever.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 am

My personal theory is that the rapture already happened - eighteen people, mostly homeless, were taken. Nobody else noticed.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:59 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 am
My personal theory is that the rapture already happened - eighteen people, mostly homeless, were taken. Nobody else noticed.
:thumbs:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Here’s a screen grab from the Wahington Post

3AA8DC04-3134-4956-84AE-244E24083535.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 pm

I saw the copper (I think) shoes along the bank of the Danube in Budapest. It's a very moving memorial. :(

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:12 am

Fortinbras wrote:
"Shemitah" or "shmita" - the Jewish sabbath year. Part of Bakker's schtick is that the shmita was going to usher in the Apocalypse. That doesn't appear to have happened so now he's now he's saying the shmita was just the beginning so buy your drums of powdered milk now before it's too late!

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:13 pm

NBA on CBS actually threw to commercial with the announcer hesitantly saying, "Brought to you by AT&T. More for your thing."

That's their new slogan.
AT&T Reaches Out to Connect 'Riverdale' Fans With Extra CW Content
Variety-Mar 8, 2018
For AT&T, the concept helps the company make good on its new slogan: “More for your thing.” If you haven't seen its ads (from Omnicom Group agency BBDO) in the Olympics and other sporting events telling viewers the company helps them connect to anything from “Game of Thrones” to virtual reality, hey .
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/att-kev ... 202721367/

What?

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”