And the racism continues and ramps up

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Hokay. I just got back from a visit to Casa La Beck where I viewed wif my own two eyes the lovely and patriotic [link]display.,http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/ra ... 0/10/50835[/link] I would have stopped and taken a few pics, but #1: it was raining and #2: the school bus had just dropped off two very angry looking teens, a boy and a girl who were glaring at me as I slowed down. Seriously, those two kids looked unhinged. Maybe twins, but absolutely brother and sister. Identical creepy glares. *shudder* :shock:

Anyway, the La Beck property is on a stretch of Foothill Ave. that has not seen any of the gentrification that has happened a mile or two further south; no McMansions with a couple acres of wine grapes or olive orchards. Just some ramshackle farm houses interspersed with actual farm land, a 1950's era ranch house here and there, many of them with at least one or two dead cars in the yard.

The photos depict the fence along the front of the property with the "teleprompter" on the end of the fence by the driveway, which is dirt and runs along the south property line back maybe 40-50 yards to an open dirt parking area that appears to double as the front yard. The field between there and the road is just a mass of dead weeds that look like they haven't been cleared for years.

There are two buildings that I could see; one looked like an 80-100 year old farmhouse in decent repair, the other could be either a second house or a barn of some sort. It was hard to see because of some large, old oak trees and a couple of RVs parked near it. I couldn't really see how far the property extends behind the buildings, but it looked to just be more weeds and dried grass, although the oak trees are very nice.

Coincidentally, just a mile or so south is John Fry’s mathematics institute and private golf course which will start hosting the Frys.com Golf Tournament in 2014. The 2012 tournament started today just down the road from me in San Martin.

So, if anyone cares I can go back when the weather clears and take some photos. I’ll just make sure to do it when Wednesday and Pugsly are in school. :-bd

Image Image Image Image Image

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm

So, if anyone cares I can go back when the weather clears and take some photos. I’ll just make sure to do it when Wednesday and Pugsly are in school. :-bdHey, I wouldn't mind Wednesday and Pugsley as neighbors. The La Becks? Not so much.

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Found it in the maps program. The backyard is filled with junk.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Loh wrote:Hey, I wouldn't mind Wednesday and Pugsley as neighbors. The La Becks? Not so mucThe articles spelled the name incorrectly. It is LeBeck. Blake Curtis LeBeck.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13 pm

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhance ... 154-11.jpg[/break1]buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/man-at-romney-rally-in-ohio-wears-shirt-put-the-w#HTWF2]http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski ... he-w#HTWF2meh.I had a lovely birtherday month dinner with good music at the only place within 25 miles of me. You racist fools just make me laugh.

Emma

Post by Emma » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:05 am

The right is calling it photoshopped. Not so: [/break1]gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/supporter-of-republican-presidential-candidate-former-news-photo/154020260]http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news- ... /154020260Caption: LANCASTER, OH - OCTOBER 12: A supporter of Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Republican vice presidential candidate U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) waits for a campaign event to begin on October 12, 2012 in Lancaster, Ohio. Ryan debated U.S. Vice President Joe Biden the evening before and Romney is scheduled to debate U.S. President Barack Obama for the second time on October 16. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)Date created: 12 Oct 2012Editorial image #: 154020260Restrictions: Contact your local office for all commercial or promotional uses. Full editorial rights UK, US, Ireland, Canada (not Quebec). Restricted editorial rights for daily newspapers elsewhere, please call.License type: Rights-managedPhotographer: Jamie Sabau/StringerCollection: Getty Images NewsCredit: Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images North America

Emma

Post by Emma » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 pm

[/break1]nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2012/10/nj_business_owner_says_im_not_racist_after_anti-obama_display_causes_stir.html]http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20 ... _stir.htmlOn Tuesday afternoon, Craig Brinson, a bus driver from Asbury Park, stopped his bus to check out Bill Skuby's storefront window display on Third Avenue in downtown Spring Lake. What Brinson spotted amidst the drizzle was a picture in the center of the display, which was put up by Skuby, owner of a well-known men's clothing store.The picture shows Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, naked except for a primitive loincloth, with a bone through his nose, witch-doctor style. Underneath the image, a caption is written in black and white: 'ObamaCare - coming soon to a clinic near you.' The 'C' is depicted as a classic Communist hammer and sickle, a symbol not as regularly seen since the fall of the Soviet Union."That's not right. It's racist," said Brinson, a 46-year-old African-American, pointing with a visible wince on his face to the doctored image of Obama as witch-doctor. "I understand that this is America, but the president doesn't deserve this. This is wrong."But Skuby, 66, a Spring Lake resident, saw nothing wrong with displaying his anti-Obama visual, which has been up since last week, for the world to see."A lot of people feel the way I feel, but are just afraid to say it," said Skuby, who said that public response on the street in front of his store ran "70 percent positive" in favor of the display's anti-Obama sentiments. "It always comes down to the race card."http://media.nj.com/njcom_photos/photo/ ... 6fc238.jpg

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:34 pm

That is always their excuse to publicly display their racism.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Racist? Incredibly. He forgot the noose. What an incredibly ignorant, hateful asshole.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Why is it that guaranteeing that the American people can get health insurance -- something Romney did on a state scale -- makes the President a witch doctor and hammer and sickle Communist. The only explanation is racism, yeah the race card.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 pm

"The Race Card" It's the racist way of telling you that they are going to do what they damn well please regardless of what you think (as in Fuck Off - I love being a seriously racist son of a bitch.).

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:55 pm

It seems like the really hard core folks are starting to get in the act now. There seem to be more racist crap surface as we get closer to the President's re-election.

1 guest

Post by 1 guest » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Found it in the maps program. The backyard is filled with junk.cue Jeff Foxworthy.

Emma

Post by Emma » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:33 am

Twitter-ers are going nuts over this asshole: [/break1]com/patrioticrevolt]https://twitter.com/patrioticrevolt@patrioticrevoltThis disgusting "n*****" president must go down , or he shall be gotten rid of by armed means !! @patrioticrevolt@ABC NEW TOWN HALL RULES !! ....LYNCH THIS DISGUSTING OBAMA !! HE MUST GO !! and more ... including a crudely drawn 'presidential necktie party' of a noose with "for you x" within the noose.

Emma

Post by Emma » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm

The above account still shows active on twitter, and has even more disgusting racist crap going back over a year. Another photo he's posted shows Bin Laden and President Obama side by side. Bin Laden with a bullet hole photoshopped in, and a target on the President's forehead, captioned "Obama next".

Here's another racist and a liar to boot, claiming to be an Obama supporter (note the 'empty chair' by the sign):

[msn]49450089[/msn]

Edit:

"It was just my attitude for it. Everybody's picking on Obama. And it's the attitude of 'hang in there, buddy!' It isn't over 'til you're done kicking," said sign creator Thomas Savka.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm

In the comments section of [link]CNN's story about George McGovern being on life support,http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/17/ge ... pice-care/[/link] there is this pair of comments:Morris DeesI am honored to be in the above picture with my deal friend George McGovern. I was his national finance director, a campaign that for first time in political history was funded by over 600,000 small donors. He empowered a new generation of activists that later spawned NGOs like Public Citizen, Common Cause, the Southern Poverty Law Center , Habitat for Humanity and so many more. He told me in 1972 that the two most unpopular things in America were the Vietnam War and those who opposed it. Our nation should morn the loss of this truly great American.October 17, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply John from NYC Morris: Have you ever stood up for a white person who was discriminated against by affirmative action quotas? No? I didn't think so!! Your slanty eyebrows show that you care about civil rights but only for blacks and mixed races like Jordan Gruver but if white people are trampled over, then that's righteous and PAYBACK. I don't know if this is really you who posted this, I doubt it, but George Mcgovern is a real war hero, a B-24 Navigator commander over Europe during WWII unlike you who are an anti-white racist. October 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |Jordan Gruver? [link]Jury awards $2.5 million to teen beaten by Klan members,http://articles.cnn.com/2008-11-14/just ... s=PM:CRIME[/link]A jury awarded $2.5 million in damages on Friday to a Kentucky teenager who was severely beaten by members of a Ku Klux Klan group because the Klansmen mistakenly thought he was an illegal Latino immigrant, the Southern Poverty Law Center said.The jury found that the Imperial Klans of America and its founder wrongfully targeted 16-year-old Jordan Gruver, an American citizen of Panamanian and Native-American descent.The verdict included $1.5 million in compensatory damages and $1 million in punitive damages against "Imperial Wizard" Ron Edwards.The law center said before the verdict that a large damage award could break the Klan group, allowing the teen and the law center to seize the group's assets, including its headquarters, a 15-acre compound in Dawson Springs, Kentucky.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Not political in any way, but this story just makes my blood boil. For those of you not familiar with Leo, he's the guitarist for the great NOLA funk band Meters, and they are in the 2013 class of nominees to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.

Jason Perkins:

"I bought 4 rooms for the band and prepaid for them on debit card. After sound check, Leo and the band went to the hotel and tried to check in. The manager refused to accept 3 of 4 members credit cards for incidentals (4th member is Rich Vogel/white dude). Leo called me and (my family and I) drove to the hotel at 7:30 pm. I asked what the hell and manager pointed at 3 members and said he wouldn't accept credit cards and "those people" need to pay cash deposit. When I asked what did he mean by "those people" - he pointed at Leo and said "black people."

I felt like I was hit in the face. It was stunning. I called the police and when they arrived, the police went through it with him and then he caught himself and said that they cannot check in any longer as he didn't feel "safe." He then refused to talk. Leo and Bill Dickens then had to console ME as I was beyond upset and they explained that as older fellows who grew up in the South, they understood this happens....

The manager refused to give his name until Police instructed him to give a contact reference and that is when I received a card for "Ginger" (Latu) who now supposedly does not work there!

I have called the hotel five times. No one will respond."

[/break1]net/2012/10/19/san-franciscos-travelodge-on.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29&utm_content=Google+Reader]http://boingboing.net/2012/10/19/san-fr ... gle+ReaderMore at the link, including updates.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 pm

One of the comments on the link above. The reader is responding to the italicized sentence.

Things are not perfect by a long shot. But they are better than they have ever been.

Quite a common white thing to say. Lots of people of color, OTOH, see racism as a "changing same."

Try telling that to the hundreds of thousands of black and Latino people in jail on inflated drug charges, thanks to the so-called War on Drugs (which is really a War on People of Color). Try telling that to the disproportionate numbers of non-white homeowners who got suckered into bad mortgages and lost their homes as a result. Try telling it to residents of predominantly black and Latino areas, where there's always been a "recession" (funny how "America" only has one when middle-class white people start hurting). Try telling it to people who know that their non-white sounding name makes it that much tougher to get a decent job. Try telling it to the parents of children who suffer stunted life chances because of de facto segregation in public schools. And so on.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:02 pm

:( :o :shock: :-? No, it couldn't be so! Not San Francisco! Something was not making sense here. I had to read all the updates to finally get to the bottom of this stupid business. First, I know the reputation of that motel and it's not good under any circumstances. I can't believe the club owner would put up his musicians there. It more one of the by the hour and by the ounce places. My second thought was that it was a 'Patel motel.' If you do not know what that means, you have not stayed in a cheap motel/hotel lately and it helps if you speak Gujarati. Secondly, I am surprised the place is still standing after the story has gone viral. There will be consequences. This town depends on tourists and the city fathers will make sure the matter is addressed. So will the music and club industry which is big and so will anybody who is anybody. Don't forget, Willie Brown was our mayor and he's still got clout more than just about anybody in this neck of the woods. Ed Lee, the present mayor will not be happy about it either.From the New Orleans Picayune, we get more details. Matthew, the offending party, most likely has not been in the country very long and has brought along some baggage from his native land.“This story has gone viral,” Nocentelli said. “I’m wondering if this is going to end up on CNN.”Nocentelli described the Travelodge employee he dealt with as being “of Indian/Pakistani descent.” In purely practical terms, Nocentelli noted, being judged on skin color by the motel clerk made no sense.“This dude was 10 shades darker than me. That’s the irony of it.”[/break1]nola.com/music/index.ssf/2012/10/meters_guitarist_leo_nocentell.html]http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/201 ... ntell.htmlNo, we have not heard the end of this and it's just as well they were moved to a better place. They are less likely to get bed bugs and such. It's a big clan operation to run cheap motels on cheap family labor very much like indentured servitude.eta:Yep, I was right. It's a Patel motel. Trikon Hotel Group is owned by Hiten Patel. [/break1]sfweekly.com/shookdown/2012/10/sf_travelodge_accused_of_not_a.php]http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/201 ... _not_a.phpNB the comment on the above article. [/break1]cortera.com/company/research/k8m0muk4s/trikon-hotel-group/]http://start.cortera.com/company/resear ... tel-group/

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:20 pm

No, we have not heard the end of this and it's just as well they were moved to a better place. They are less likely to get bed bugs and such. It's a big clan operation to run cheap motels on cheap family labor very much like indentured servitude.Not to defend these particular assholes, but a lot of honest and decent immigrants run this kind of motel and ethnic restaurants. They get their families over here because it is a lot easier to get a good immigration status when you have a guaranteed job. A lot of the motels and restaurants (not this one apparently) are good. It's common to make fun of this kind of business, and I'm not sure why it's considered acceptable to do so, but they're generally a good thing. We could use more people starting businesses instead of shutting them down in this country.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:35 pm

I would be one of the last to generalize about immigrants or make fun of their family businesses. That is not what I am talking about here. I have had a lot of experience with both on a daily basis for many years.I recognized this place instantly. Almost every cheap motel/hotel in this city is owned by the Patels and so are the SRO's. They are a near monopoly and are notorious for the health and safety hazards as well as every kind of building code violation. They are also notorious for fostering drug dealing and other criminal activity. They are notorious for treating the homeless and down and out people badly and taking advantage of them every way they can. A little searching with find blogs devoted to this subject. The courts are full of cases against them code violations and worse. I know a lot of homeless who are afraid to stay in one of the SRO's because they are so dangerous. They would rather sleep under bushes in the park or under a bridge. So would I.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Plus immigrants can be racist as hell. Indians/Pakistanis used to be famous for beating on blacks.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 pm

And I was not joking about the bed bugs. This is a link to a case filed against the owner for bed bug bites and other damages at a different but near by location.[/break1]sftc.org/Scripts/Magic94/mgrqispi94.dll?APPNAME=IJS&PRGNAME=ROA22&ARGUMENTS=-ACGC11510488]http://webaccess.sftc.org/Scripts/Magic ... GC11510488And the judge even awarded sanctions!

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:20 pm

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/ ... [edit]Oops, I forgot the alt text that shows up when you mouseover on xkcd, which was why I posted it to this thread: 'Rating: 1/5. Room filled to brim with semen, and when front desk clerk opened mouth to talk, bedbugs poured out.'[/edit]

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Way back when in 1991 my grandmother died. My Mom and I went to Florida and settled her estate. After the estate sale, we hired a moving company for the furniture we decided to keep, but the precious/fragile antique-like things we packed in the van (traded for grandma's volvo) for the drive home to California from Florida.On day two we pulled into a hotel in Nawlins. After checking in we were assigned a bellhop to take our bags to our room, even though, y'know, it was just like carry-on/overnight bags. But we still got the bellhop, a young black man, who was in a total Steppin Fechit routine until, after looking at the temporary Forida tags on the van, he asked us where in Florida we hailed from.Me: "Dude, we're from California. My grandma died and we're driving back home with some of her stuff."Bellhop dude, now with just a slight southern accent: "Oh, dude, I'm so sorry for your loss! where ya from in California?"Pleasant conversation ensued on the way to our rooms, Steppin Fechit routine dropped. He was a nice guy, working his way through college, doing the yassah massah routine because that's what played at that hotel. Took good care of us for the two days we hung out in Nawlins, too. Also.Anyway, that was the day I learned that the Emancipation Proclamation had not entirely taken hold in some places.

Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”