Methane Explosions

Addie

Methane Explosions

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:59 am

Siberian Times
'Big bang' and 'pillar of fire' as latest of two new craters forms this week in the Arctic

Scientists have located two fresh craters formed on Yamal peninsula this year, with the latest exploding on 28 June with the eruption picked up by new seismic sensors specifically designed to monitor such events, The Siberian Times can disclose.

First pictures of the large craters - or funnels as experts call them - are shown here, and add to four other big holes found in recent years and examined by experts, plus dozens of tiny ones spotted by satellite.

The formation of both craters involved an explosion followed by fire, evidently signs of the eruption of methane gas pockets under the Yamal surface. ...

'It happened some 35 to 40 kilometres north-west of Seyakha,' he said on local TV. 'Reindeer herder Yakov Vengo has a camp there.

'There was a hill not far from the camp, and it exploded.

'There were fire, smoke and huge chunks of soil 'flying out' of the epicentre.

'The hill has vanished.'

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: Methane Explosions

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Siberian Times
Warnings of new Arctic explosions at some 700-plus sites in Yamal due to thawing permafrost

Startling details have emerged of last week's methane gas blowout on an Arctic riverbank: a sudden and deafening bang from a large explosion of the ground near a reindeer encampment, fire shooting into the sky and raging for several minutes from the eruption, huge chunks of charred permafrost blown out of the ground, and a deep, eerie crater forming, some 50 metres deep which immediately filled with water. ...

Scientists rushed to the scene on the Yamal Peninsula to examine the site in the immediate aftermath of the explosion, amid expert warnings that many can be expected as a warming climate leads to thawing permafrost and the release of potent methane gas which has lain frozen under the surface for thousands of years. ...

Professor Vasily Bogoyavlensky, Russia's leading expert on this recently-noticed phenomenon of blowout craters, rushed from his Black Sea vacation to examine the debris.

The explosion and the resulting hole near Seyakha village is the latest of a dozen or so substantial known craters to form in Arctic Russia, mainly on Yamal, since 2014.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2EpCoQjPu8

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 pm

This is very interesting. The Science Channel has a program called What on Earth that I've been watching for a couple of years now. It's about interesting and mysterious things seen from satellites and aircraft. I think it was last year they has a segment on these craters and they ended it with the theory they were caused by methane explosions. It's pretty cool to see it confirmed.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Techno Luddite

Post by Techno Luddite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:15 am

Probably just some vegan lighting his farts.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 am

Techno Luddite wrote:Probably just some vegan lighting his farts.
:torches:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 am

Techno Luddite wrote:Probably just some vegan lighting his farts.
I have an embarrassing confession. After living around Hubby for over 45 years and raising two boys encouraged by said Hubby (and all of their male friends), someone (decidedly NOT female) lighting a fart was my second thought upon reading about this explosion. Techno has exposed my dark side. :eek2:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:04 am

My "jet tip" might not be as small as it use to be. I remember what happened in high school chemestry when we lit off some acetylene flowing through an oversized tip.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 am

ZekeB wrote:My "jet tip" might not be as small as it use to be. I remember what happened in high school chemestry when we lit off some acetylene flowing through an oversized tip.
Annnddddd? :waiting:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

The gas burned.

Rapidly.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

ZekeB wrote:The gas burned.

Rapidly.
:rotflmao:

Return to “Science & Technology”