The mystery of a missing cow.

RTH10260

The mystery of a missing cow.

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Badger Burying A Cow Surprises Scientists

This story starts with the mystery of a missing cow.

University of Utah researchers placed seven cow carcasses in Utah's Great Basin Desert, and set up cameras to learn about the behavior patterns of local scavengers.

But a week later, researcher Evan Buechley returned to one of the sites and found no sign of the cow.

"And my first reaction was to be fairly disappointed," he told The Two-Way. After all, it takes a lot of effort to drag a 50-plus-pound cow through the desert. Buechley explained that he thought maybe a coyote had taken the cow away.

Then, he noticed the ground was disturbed.

The tape told a far more surprising story. It shows a badger on a five-day-long digging spree, painstakingly excavating the ground under the cow and ultimately completely burying the animal about four times its weight.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... scientists

Loud sound warning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHiOwR7cfc

Notorial Dissent

Re: The mystery of a missing cow.

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Never underestimate either a badger or a wolverine, they will ultimately surprise and outsmart you.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Badger Burying A Cow Surprises Scientists

"And my first reaction was to be fairly disappointed," he told The Two-Way. After all, it takes a lot of effort to drag a50-plus-pound cow through the desert. Buechley explained that he thought maybe a coyote had taken the cow away.

Then, he noticed the ground was disturbed.
Are these calves, or did they leave off a zero? 50 lbs seems kind of small for a cow.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 am

It was a calf. Video shows the badger to be about 1/4 the size of the calf. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... scientists

http://www.popsci.com/badger-bury-cow#page-4
It gets even better: the badger—a master tunneler—set up a den nearby and used the supply of beef to sustain itself for well over a month. And you thought you were clever for putting a mini-fridge next to your couch.

When the researchers repeated the experiment, another badger did the same thing, partially burying the calf in a homemade dirt meat locker.

These actions weren’t completely out of the blue. The researchers already knew that badgers often buried—cached—smaller prey like rabbits. But the fact that they were able to handle a supersized meal like a calf came as a surprise.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks W4! It's difficult for me to watch videos during the day (and even in the evenings it's a bit of a pain), so I couldn't see what it was burying.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 am

Somerset wrote:Are these calves, or did they leave off a zero? 50 lbs seems kind of small for a cow.
As I recall dairy calves weighed between 75 and 100 lbs at birth.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 am

I have no comment other than that was an inspired use of Yacketty Sax. Benny would be proud.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:41 pm

GlimDropper wrote:I have no comment other than that was an inspired use of Yacketty Sax. Benny would be proud.
Truly inspired. Love that song. The video inspired me to think about... BADGER FUTURES! Raise those suckers and sell 'em to horse farms, ranchers, anyone who needs burial service for a large animal. OR rent them for a week or so. Low carbon emissions. Totally green "technology". FOGBOW BADGER FARMS!!!!! Get in while the gettin's HOT!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:16 pm

When I was a whippersnapper the local rendering plant would pick your critter up for free. Now with the dawn of Mad Cow they don't do that anymore. I've heard it can cost up to $900 as a disposal fee. Bring on the badgers.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Return to “Science & Technology”