Climate change denial

Chilidog

Climate change denial

Post by Chilidog » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:02 pm

A Utah state rep wants to set the ambiant threshold for CO2 regulation at 500 ppm"We are short of carbon dioxide for the needs of the plants," Anderson, a retired science teacher, told the committee overseeing environmental programs in the the state on Tuesday. "Concentrations reached 600 parts per million at the time of the dinosaurs and they did quite well. I think we could double the carbon dioxide and not have any adverse effects."[/break1]sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/57562425-219/carbon-atmosphere-dioxide-anderson.html.csp]http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5756 ... n.html.csp

Volkonski

Climate change denial

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 pm

So then, this is the future of intelligent life on Earth? ;) http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... vastra.png

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Climate change denial

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:26 pm

A Utah state rep wants to set the ambiant threshold for CO2 regulation at 500 ppm"We are short of carbon dioxide for the needs of the plants," Anderson, a retired science teacher, told the committee overseeing environmental programs in the the state on Tuesday. "Concentrations reached 600 parts per million at the time of the dinosaurs and they did quite well. I think we could double the carbon dioxide and not have any adverse effects."[/break1]sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/57562425-219/carbon-atmosphere-dioxide-anderson.html.csp]http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5756 ... n.html.cspAnd the Creationists insist that human beans flourished with dinos during said period. WWJS?

Roboe

Climate change denial

Post by Roboe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:20 pm

Wyoming rejects science education standards over climate change

Over the past several years, a number of states have worked with organizations including the National Research Council, National Science Teachers Association, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science to develop new standards for teaching science in public schools. The result, termed the Next Generation Science Standards, provides states with a chance to update their science education goals to focus more on the scientific process. So far, nine states and the District of Columbia have adopted the standards.

But the process hasn't always been smooth. In Kentucky, the Governor adopted them over the objections of state legislators. In Kansas, the adoption resulted in a lawsuit that sought to block their adoption. Now, in the latest wrinkle, the Wyoming legislature has preemptively blocked their use in that state.

The Casper Star Tribune is reporting that Wyoming became the first state to block the use of the Next Generation Science Standards through the use of a last-minute budget provision authored in part by State Representative Matt Teeters. It quotes him as saying "[The standards] handle global warming as settled science. There's all kind of social implications involved in that that I don't think would be good for Wyoming." Specifically, Teeters seems to think that having citizens of the state accept climate science would "wreck Wyoming's economy," which relies heavily on fossil fuel production.

The article also quotes the Chair of the State Board of Education as saying the board voted to "revise the standards to present climate change as a theory, instead of a fact, and to present the benefits mineral extraction has brought Wyoming."

[/break1]com/science/2014/03/wyoming-rejects-science-education-standards-over-climate-change/]http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/03/ ... te-change/

mimi

Climate change denial

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:07 am

Scientific American Editor: Fox Told Me I Couldn't Talk About Climate Change

[/break1]com/livewire/scientific-american-editor-fox-news-climate-change]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/s ... ate-change

They posted his tweets:

Fox & Friends producer wanted to talk about future trends. I said #1 will be impacts of climate change. I was told to pick something else.

— Michael Moyer (@mmoyr) April 30, 2014

Went on Fox & Friends this morning. Kinda feel like I should take a shower. [/break1]co/SjlFBPE0QE]http://t.co/SjlFBPE0QE

I couldn’t sit in the Fox & Friends greenroom beforehand b/c watching the show made me crazy. Every single segment was anti-Obama agitprop.

Everyone’s in a bubble. Makeup girl: Where u think the plane is? Me, puzzled: Bottom of the ocean? Her: No it’s on a military base somewhere

If you click on a specific tweet in his twitter account, you can see the replies. Click on the time posted in a tweet to get to the replies.

[/break1]com/mmoyr]https://twitter.com/mmoyr

And so I had to go watch the segment:

[/break1]foxnews.com/v/3522822628001/future-shock-tech-trends-for-the-next-decade-and-beyond/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips]
... show-clips

I hope this story gets shared widely.

Volkonski

Climate change denial

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Goodbye Miami.

Four southern counties—Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach—are home to about one-third of Florida’s population, and about 2.4 million people live less than four feet above the high-tide line. The streets of Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, and Miami Beach often flood during the occasional “king tides,” which are much higher than normal high tides.

The oceans could rise two feet by 2060, according to the National Climate Assessment, as their waters warm and expand and as the Greenland and polar ice sheets melt. By 2100 seas could rise as much as 6.6 feet. That would put much of Miami-Dade underwater. For every foot the seas rise, the shoreline would move inland 500 to 2,000 feet.

A two-foot rise would be enough to strand the Miami-Dade County sewage-treatment plant on Virginia Key and the nuclear power plant at Turkey Point, both on Biscayne Bay.

“At two feet they will be sitting out in the ocean,” says Hal Wanless, chairman of the University of Miami’s geology department. “Most of the barrier islands will be uninhabitable. The airport is going to have problems at four feet. We will not be able to keep freshwater above ocean levels, so we’re going to have saltwater intrusion into our drinking-water supply. Everyone wants a nice happy ending. But that’s not reality. We’re in for it. We have really done a job warming our ocean, and it’s going to pay us back.”

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/ ... arker-text

Skip Intro

Climate change denial

Post by Skip Intro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:37 pm

And out here in poor, bone dry California it appears we're about to have our first rain-free January in recorded history. Predictions are calling for much of coastal CA to be in the 80s by next weekend.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

Volkonski

Climate change denial

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:45 pm

And out here in poor, bone dry California it appears we're about to have our first rain-free January in recorded history. Predictions are calling for much of coastal CA to be in the 80s by next weekend.

That's more like it. I was pretty sure it never rained in California. ;)

Skip Intro

Climate change denial

Post by Skip Intro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Anybody who moved here in the last three years would certainly think so.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

TollandRCR

Climate change denial

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 am

PBS Frontline How Climate Change May Lead to Bigger Blizzards

One of the sets of comments is revealing:

MikeArrgh

Let me see if I can state this simply enough for even climate change deniers to understand. The more energy that is introduced into a closed system, the more unstable it becomes. What this means in everyday terms is that there are going to be more frequent and more powerful severe weather events as the average global temperature continues to rise. Last year's "polar vortex" is a perfect example of this. The polar vortex used to be very stable and mostly confined to the poles, hence its name. However, the destabilization of prevailing weather patterns caused by the added heat energy in the system caused the vortex to migrate over North America,causing one of the most severe winters in years for the region. But the AVERAGE global temperature still rose last year, in spite of the colder local conditions, and heat energy is the driving force behind ALL weather. Anyone who is smart enough to hit the floor with their hat should be able to see that more severe weather events are here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future. As for what we can't foresee, I shudder to think. A fairly large portion of the people on the planet still live from day to day, and when the precarious stability that they have evaporates they will be ripe for manipulation by political opportunists.

Daniel C. Fay MikeArrgh

So the Milankovitch Cycles, the oscillations of the earth's rotation on it's varying axis, and fluctuations in solar activity, have nothing to do with the earth's climate. It is all due to man's increased carbon addition to the atmosphere. Sorry. I have to throw the BS flag. Thank you for playing. Mr. Al Gore you are the next contestant. Category: American tax dollars consumed by heresy.

MikeArrgh Daniel C. Fay

You didn't throw the BS flag, you threw your hat at the floor and missed. Do you really think the factors you mentioned have not already been taken into account? I hope you own land on the Florida coast, troll. You'll probably live to see it submerge.

The late Stephen H. Schneider used to try to explain how three things are occurring simultaneously but over vastly different periods. I never saw him succeed with a nonscientific audience, and he got flack at elite meetings at the National Academy of Sciences.

Short-term cooling, often caused by the eruption of a volcano (e.g. Pinatubo, 1991).

Medium and longer-term climate change, caused by human activities that alter the global biogeochemical cycles that sustain all life.

The Ice Ages. Alan Weisman's wonderful little book, The World Without Us, sees that as inevitable. http://www.worldwithoutus.com/big_slideshow.html

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Climate change denial

Post by kate520 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:38 am

Do you see humanity as going extinct or adapting, Tolland?

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

ZekeB

Climate change denial

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 am

In 10,000 years the dinosaurs will be finding our fossilized bones and wondering why we became extinct.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

SueDB

Climate change denial

Post by SueDB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 am

Without a war that sterilizes the planet...life will find a way. It always seems to adapt.

Humans are the super adapter/adopter.

All you need to survive an ice age is a couple of nuclear reactors.

Heat is another matter...it will take me a while to think about it.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

TollandRCR

Climate change denial

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:24 pm

We have made it through several Ice Ages. There is a discussion underway about whether we reached the lower limit for a breeding population after one of them. We might have space flight before the next one, sending sleeping "arks" to distant planets.

I do think that Malthus was right but about three hundred years too early. The newest UN projection is that the globe will bear a human population of 11 billion in 2100. That could be the point of inflection of the size of the human population. I don't see a world of 11 billion humans as being within the globe's carrying capacity. Good book: Cohen, J. E. 1995. How Many People Can the Earth Support? W.W. Norton publishers.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

SueDB

Climate change denial

Post by SueDB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 pm

By then it will be so crowded that an epidemic could significantly reduce the world population.

TollandRCR

Climate change denial

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:37 pm

By then it will be so crowded that an epidemic could significantly reduce the world population.

That is what I think most likely, although famine could be a contender. Stupid war is also a possibility.

ZekeB

Climate change denial

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 pm

We'll be wiped out when the sun goes nova, there's no doubt. In the meantime there are any number of events that can happen that would make the earth uninhabitable for man. These events would most likely happen with too little notice for man to explore and build a means to survive elsewhere. I don't foresee colonizing another planet merely to propagate our own species.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

SueDB

Climate change denial

Post by SueDB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:43 pm

There's always going to be the clusters/colonies/places where humans will survive cause we as a species are pretty damn hard to wipe out. Mother nature hasn't done the ultimate, but she/he/it sure has make things really hairy on occasion.

We may seem fragile, but we truly are hard to kill.

You may see small scale limited nuke war, but there is way too much money/real estate to be lost in a major attack. It would end the life of luxury for the worlds 1% and the world's leaders.

Why would they want to live eternity in a bunker versus the Ritz?

I think the only reason for a small scale exchange is that I have to account for human stupidity somewhere.

Sekrit Stuffs!
After a nuclear war, it's damn hard hard to slip off to the Crimea/Black Sea for a quick weekend with your mistress.

Foggy

Climate change denial

Post by Foggy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:26 pm

We'll be wiped out when the sun goes nova ...

Our star isn't large enough to go nova. Our star will become a red giant, then eventually a white dwarf. However, it will lose mass -- and hence, gravity -- before expanding beyond the Earth's current orbit. Perchance we'll escape the orbit of the Sun and drift out into the cosmos. That would also be a bad thing for Earthlings. We either burn or freeze.

On the bright side, there's plenty of time to pack up and find another Class M planet to colonize. Or something.

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

TollandRCR

Climate change denial

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:49 pm

On the bright side, there's plenty of time to pack up and find another Class M planet to colonize. Or something.

We either burn or freeze.

Which reminds me of a poem that I have found haunting since middle school: Archibald MacLeish, Epistle to Be Left in the Earth.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Climate change denial

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 am

That is what I think most likely, although famine could be a contender. Stupid war is also a possibility.

Perhaps, we should thank the parents who don't vaccinate their kids (or themselves) for thinning the population of stupid. On the other hand, they should also be prosecuted for negligent homicide if/when a child or an adult who can't be immunized dies

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

SueDB

Climate change denial

Post by SueDB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:27 am

Just my luck one of the little infected buggers will slip through and kill off a baby Einstein.

RTH10260

Climate change denial

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Just my luck one of the little infected buggers will slip through and kill off a baby Einstein.

OK, now you better be off and on your way to get that vaccination, or else another cute kitten will die :twisted:

AuBricker

Climate change denial

Post by AuBricker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:09 pm

"DEP [Florida Department of Environmental Protection] officials have been ordered not to use the term “climate change” or “global warming” in any official communications, emails, or reports, according to former DEP employees, consultants, volunteers and records obtained by the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting."

http://fcir.org/2015/03/08/in-florida-o ... te-change/

kate520

Climate change denial

Post by kate520 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:16 pm

Holy cow! Hiya, AuBricker!!

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Return to “Science & Technology”