Eclipse

maydijo

Re: Eclipse

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
maydijo wrote:Animals evolve only until they don't have to evolve any longer to fit into their environment.
Not quite correct, but your underlying point - that natural selection does not include a predictive element - is spot on.
maydijo wrote:Why is the moon the perfect size when seen from earth to cover up the sun? I'm sure there's a very good scientific argument for it, probably having to do with it's the perfect size to rotate around the earth without affecting the gravitational pull, or something like that. To just say, "Wow! God!" is to miss out on half the fun.
There have been plenty of "what if?" debates about the importance of the presence of our moon in the evolution and maintenance of the Earth as it is. It apparently does have a useful stabilizing effect (iirc) and it makes tides, which are definitely handy for things that live in inter-tidal zones. But exactly covering the Sun in an eclipse is mere happenstance.

As the exquisitely wacky platypus has worked itself into a thread about eclipses, I must protest that its wonderful electric senses have not been mentioned, another feature (with egg-laying, poisonous spurs and generally crayzeeenesss) that make it a zoological delight.

Oh, and do Aussies really say "platypi" as a catachrestic* plural? It should be either "platypuses", which follows the English language's rules for regular formation of plurals, or "platypodes", if one wishes to respect the latinized Greek etymology. "Platypi": :sick:

* yes, I know, quite self-referential, eh?
I usually say "platypuses" but whenever I do people call me out and say it's wrong (even though it's not) so ironically, I went with "platypi" to avoid the thread-jack.

I have heard (from an actual, real scientist, but it was on the radio, a couple of years ago, so I can't remember his name) that if the moon wasn't there, the earth would cease to exist. And I believe there is a real, scientific reason why the moon is the size it is (but again I don't have a source - I think it came from this same conversation and had to do with the way the moon was formed?) As for it covering the sun, that's largely a matter of perspective isn't it? As in, it depends where you are on the surface of the earth?

EDIT: I should clarify. I can't remember if it was that the earth would cease to exist without the moon, or if it was that life on earth would cease to exist without the moon. I think (???) that it was that the earth itself would cease to exist - that the moon has a stabilising effect on the rotation of the earth around the sun and that the orbit would be all out of whack without the moon - but I'm half-remembering a conversation I was half-paying attention to 2 or 3 years ago, so it might just be that life on earth would cease to exist.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Oh, and do Aussies really say "platypi" as a catachrestic* plural? It should be either "platypuses", which follows the English language's rules for regular formation of plurals, or "platypodes", if one wishes to respect the latinized Greek etymology. "Platypi": :sick:

Totally off-topic, but Sam, what is the correct plural of Lexus? Lexuses or Lexi? I know it's Preiuses, but Lexuses just doesn't sound right. :lol:

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 am

maydijo wrote:I don't put much stock in intelligent design.
My take on intelligent design is that God snapped Her fingers and the Big Bang occurred. :mrgreen:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:17 am

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
maydijo wrote:I don't put much stock in intelligent design.
My take on intelligent design is that God snapped Her fingers and the Big Bang occurred. :mrgreen:
I was going to respond that I don't think God is a woman, because Donald Trump, but then I thought that Donald Trump is probably evidence there is no God, because seriously, where's the quality control?

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:33 am

We only got about a 60% eclipse here in La La Land. I was lucky enough to score some free eclipse glasses from my local branch library on Saturday afternoon - I was afraid I would be too late since we were out of town from Tuesday to Saturday morning so that Mr. K could have a surgery that our local Kaiser couldn't handle, they sent us to the Kaiser in San Diego. But by Saturday afternoon the library still had glasses to give out. We went outside and observed the cool shadows, and looked at the sun through our glasses, and I brought a colander out to cast cool shadows on the ground. It was good geeky fun. Someday I want to see a total eclipse; I am envious of those of you, and of my friends and relatives, who got to see totality this time (but happy for you as well). My eclipse glasses are tacked up on my fridge as a cool memento.

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 am

maydijo wrote:I usually say "platypuses" but whenever I do people call me out and say it's wrong (even though it's not) so ironically, I went with "platypi" to avoid the thread-jack.
Stephen Fry assures us that "octopus" follows the "octopuses" (for normal people) or "octopodes" (for show-offy pedants?) pattern, and the derivation of the "-pus" part (= "-foot") of "platypus" is identical. Good enough for me!
maydijo wrote:As for it covering the sun, that's largely a matter of perspective isn't it? As in, it depends where you are on the surface of the earth?
Not where you are on the Earth, our planet's diameter is only 8,000 miles whereas the Moon is 250,000 miles away and the Sun is 93,000,000 miles away (all approximate numbers, of course!). Just how total the total eclipse is depends on where the Earth and Moon are in their orbits, which are almost but not exactly circular. I'm no astronomer so I don't know whether the eccentricity of both orbits or only one of them is important. Hence annular eclipses, mentioned above.
maydijo wrote:EDIT: I should clarify. I can't remember if it was that the earth would cease to exist without the moon, or if it was that life on earth would cease to exist without the moon. I think (???) that it was that the earth itself would cease to exist - that the moon has a stabilising effect on the rotation of the earth around the sun and that the orbit would be all out of whack without the moon - but I'm half-remembering a conversation I was half-paying attention to 2 or 3 years ago, so it might just be that life on earth would cease to exist.
I expect it's the life bit. We'd also be in difficulty if we didn't have the magnetic field from the Earth's iron core, because that keeps harmful cosmic rays away from us, as seen in the Northern and Southern Lights. The Moon's size is fairly random, I think: current theories are that a small planet or large asteroid smashed into the early Earth making one unholy mess of fragments, which coalesced to give what we have today. Maybe there's a good reason why such a mess might be expected to coalesce in this pattern based on some energy equivalence, but that needs a physicist's input, it's way beyond my knowledge.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 am

Sunrise wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

Totally off-topic, but Sam, what is the correct plural of Lexus? Lexuses or Lexi? I know it's Preiuses, but Lexuses just doesn't sound right. :lol:
Just how many platypuses do you need to transport, Sunrise? Unless you have six or more, you should be able to fit them all into one Lexus. I can't see why you'd need more.

What are you, some sort of platypus dealer? Is that legal?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:24 am

Sorry, I should've clarified - by perspective I just meant that the moon looked like it covers the sun depending on where you're standing. The eclipse itself was something of a matter of perspective. So if you were in the path of totality, it covers the sun; but if you're not in the path of totality, it doesn't. Down here, for instance, there was no solar eclipse. It's not a profound thought.

Since my sister, who IS a physicist, takes forever to answer her e-mails, I turned to Dr Google and found this link: https://www.thenakedscientists.com/arti ... -destroyed It doesn't involve Steve Bannon pooping in a wastebasket so I think I can trust it. Basically, the moon does have a stabilising affect on the axis of the earth; but it'd take a long time for that to matter, and it wouldn't destroy the earth itself; but by then we'd all be dead anyway.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:45 am

I always feel a little cheated when astronomers talk of planets with several moons - even Mars has two: Phobos and Deimos. And the gas giants each have a menagerie of moony delights. One dead rock for us seems a little mean of Creation.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:I always feel a little cheated when astronomers talk of planets with several moons - even Mars has two: Phobos and Deimos. And the gas giants each have a menagerie of moony delights. One dead rock for us seems a little mean of Creation.
Maybe the Intelligent Designer wasn't that intelligent? ;)

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:I always feel a little cheated when astronomers talk of planets with several moons - even Mars has two: Phobos and Deimos. And the gas giants each have a menagerie of moony delights. One dead rock for us seems a little mean of Creation.
Hey, Mercury and Venus have no moons at all and therefore no eclipses. :( Be happy we've got the one. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Sunrise wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

Just how many platypuses do you need to transport, Sunrise? Unless you have six or more, you should be able to fit them all into one Lexus. I can't see why you'd need more.

What are you, some sort of platypus dealer? Is that legal?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Seriously though, a friend and her husband each own a Lexus. They often question how they should refer to them. So which would you suggest? No jokes or snark please.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:39 pm

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm

"Fancy Toyotas."

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Sunrise wrote: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Seriously though, a friend and her husband each own a Lexus. They often question how they should refer to them. So which would you suggest? No jokes or snark please.
'Lexus' is not a Latin or Latin-derived word. The English plural is 'Lexuses'.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Off Topic
Not mentioned: Wombats.

My maternal uncle was known to all his friends as Wombat. Plural: Two (or more) of them.

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Space Station Transiting 2017 ECLIPSE

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=lepQoU4oek4[/bbvideo]

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:04 pm

I loved this Video of the Camera Crew filming the eclipse. I have produced two of my own documentaries and it reflected the feel you get when you know it's right! :-D

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:42 pm

My location reached 98.5% coverage, and it was... Kinda disappointing. It really only reached about dusk-levels of dark, then got light again very quickly. We could see the eclipse just fine through glasses, but compared to the stories my friends an hour away told, I really should have gotten into the path of totality. Thats where the show is.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

https://www.facebook.com/ColumbiaSports ... l8NafQ1YkQ

The story behind that amazing photo. If someone less challenged than I am could you please embed the video?

MRich

Post by MRich » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:31 pm

If you want to send your eclipse glasses to a worthy cause, send them to
Explore Scientific
621 Madison Street
Springdale, Arkansas 72762

Astronomers Without Borders will redistribute them to schools in Asia and South America, where there will be solar eclipses in 2019.

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-actually-do- ... 1798289914

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:22 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:My location reached 98.5% coverage, and it was... Kinda disappointing. It really only reached about dusk-levels of dark, then got light again very quickly. We could see the eclipse just fine through glasses, but compared to the stories my friends an hour away told, I really should have gotten into the path of totality. Thats where the show is.
One of the amazing things about eyes is how well they can work decently both in bright high noon sunshine and in low light conditions - and human eyes are nowhere near the best in the animal kingdom. The light level on a clear moonlit night is about one millionth (0.0001%) of full daylight, so if you have approximately 100% - 98.5% = 1.5% in a not-quite-total eclipse you have lots of light, about ten thousand times what you allows you to walk around reasonably comfortably.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

MRich wrote:If you want to send your eclipse glasses to a worthy cause, send them to
Explore Scientific
621 Madison Street
Springdale, Arkansas 72762

Astronomers Without Borders will redistribute them to schools in Asia and South America, where there will be solar eclipses in 2019.

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-actually-do- ... 1798289914
Thanks! Somehow I ended up with eight pairs. :think:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Four stills from the video I took with my iPhone on a butte in Idaho Falls. Facing west to watch night fall. First and fifth are about 45 seconds apart. Fifth shot: zenith slightly in the east--eclipsed sun (not what it looked like to the naked eye, but you get a hint) and Venus. 360 degrees sunset was also incredible but the iPhone didn't get it.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Cool!

Return to “Science & Technology”