Science, General Stuff

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Science, General Stuff

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 am

Are Marslim Warriors tall and slim or petite and slim? Also, too, must their names begin with "MAR"?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:02 am

Moved from another thread to avoid a jack...
Slartibartfast wrote:
I'm trying to start a company to help pharmaceutical companies develop better cancer drugs. Obviously, this requires communicating a lot of highly technical information to people without the relevant technical expertise and laypeople. One of the things I'm exploring is getting a science fiction writer involved in our efforts. It is the job of a science fiction writer to explain complex speculative science and technology to their readers which makes them, in my view, ideal to help explain complex real science and technology to, say, business people and potential investors.
Thought you might find this interesting

Ph.D. student pioneers storytelling strategies for science communication

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/06/06/ph- ... unication/

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Whatever4 wrote:Moved from another thread to avoid a jack...
Slartibartfast wrote:
I'm trying to start a company to help pharmaceutical companies develop better cancer drugs. Obviously, this requires communicating a lot of highly technical information to people without the relevant technical expertise and laypeople. One of the things I'm exploring is getting a science fiction writer involved in our efforts. It is the job of a science fiction writer to explain complex speculative science and technology to their readers which makes them, in my view, ideal to help explain complex real science and technology to, say, business people and potential investors.
Thought you might find this interesting

Ph.D. student pioneers storytelling strategies for science communication

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/06/06/ph- ... unication/
Thanks!
:thumbs:

Definitely sounds like I agree with just about everything she says. Maybe someday I can hire her to do one of her workshops for my company.
:daydream:

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:16 pm

From http://www.spaceweather.com
NASA TRIES AGAIN TO PRODUCE ARTIFICIAL CLOUDS: On Thursday, June 15th, NASA will attempt to overcome a series of weather and hazard-related postponements to launch a sounding rocket over the east coast of the USA. The Terrier-Improved Malemute rocket will blast off between 9:05 and 9:20 p.m. EDT and release a network of red and blue-green vapors more than 100 miles high. Tracking the motions of the colorful gases will help researchers study the dynamics of Earth's ionosphere. The vapor tracers may be visible from New York to North Carolina and westward to Charlottesville, Virginia.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:From http://www.spaceweather.com
NASA TRIES AGAIN TO PRODUCE ARTIFICIAL CLOUDS: On Thursday, June 15th, NASA will attempt to overcome a series of weather and hazard-related postponements to launch a sounding rocket over the east coast of the USA. The Terrier-Improved Malemute rocket will blast off between 9:05 and 9:20 p.m. EDT and release a network of red and blue-green vapors more than 100 miles high. Tracking the motions of the colorful gases will help researchers study the dynamics of Earth's ionosphere. The vapor tracers may be visible from New York to North Carolina and westward to Charlottesville, Virginia.
Chemtrail loons' heads exploding in 3...2...1...

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 am

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
You had me at "quantum".
Chinese satellite breaks a quantum physics record, beams entangled photons from space to Earth

[A] photon is a tiny particle of light. In fact, it's the smallest unit that light can be broken into. It has no mass and no charge. Entangled photons are a pair of photons whose properties are linked, and remain that way no matter how far apart they get.
Scientists have not been able to explain why entanglement occurs. All they know is that it exists.
:snippity:
Einstein referred to the phenomena of entanglement as “spooky action at a distance.” Others have said it is kind of like the physics version of voodoo.

How did the researchers beam entangled photons from space? They built a special satellite to do it. It is loaded with a special crystal that can split a single incoming photon into two daughter photons with joint properties. For this experiment, instruments on the satellite separated the entangled photons and sent them to different receiving stations on Earth. :snippity:

[D]istributing entangled photons over large distances could be used to establish unhackable communications via what’s known as quantum cryptography.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:47 pm

https://to.newspip.com/article/21823/DI ... -Foil.html
Austrian artist Hannes Langeder is a very proud owner of a GT3 RS Porsche, although it could hardly race with even an ordinary bicycle on the street. That's because this world's slowest Porsche was handmade by Hannes using plastic pipes, sticky tape and aluminum foil, and instead of being powered by engine, it only runs as fast you pedal it! The eco-friendly car took the artist 6 months – over 10 000 hours – and 13 000 to euros to complete.
Article has production process pictures.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:https://to.newspip.com/article/21823/DI ... -Foil.html
Austrian artist Hannes Langeder is a very proud owner of a GT3 RS Porsche, although it could hardly race with even an ordinary bicycle on the street. That's because this world's slowest Porsche was handmade by Hannes using plastic pipes, sticky tape and aluminum foil, and instead of being powered by engine, it only runs as fast you pedal it! The eco-friendly car took the artist 6 months – over 10 000 hours – and 13 000 to euros to complete.
Love it! My brother is building a cardboard boat to row across the Reservoir in and has progress pics very similar to these. It doesn't look like anything until suddenly it does.

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Who knew that producing chem trails was so hard. Almost like it is rocket science....oh, wait.

From http://www.spaceweather.com NASA is going to try again tonight.
ARTIFICIAL CLOUD DISPLAY POSSIBLE TONIGHT: Tonight, June 19th, NASA will try for the 9th time to launch a sounding rocket from Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia, creating a colorful display of artificial clouds high above the eastern seaboard of the USA. Previous launches have been aborted because of, e.g., high winds, clouds, and boats in the hazard area. The launch window is from 9:06 to 9:21 pm Eastern Time. Blue-green and red vapors may be visible from New York to North Carolina between 4 and 5.5 minutes after launch.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:https://to.newspip.com/article/21823/DI ... -Foil.html
Love it! My brother is building a cardboard boat to row across the Reservoir in and has progress pics very similar to these. It doesn't look like anything until suddenly it does.
Post his pics!!!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:08 pm

I have NO idea how to post FB pics, but he's at https://www.facebook.com/morrell.richardson and you can follow along on the whole process. And see the trophy I made!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:I have NO idea how to post FB pics, but he's at https://www.facebook.com/morrell.richardson and you can follow along on the whole process. And see the trophy I made!
Methinks creativity runs in your family.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:I have NO idea how to post FB pics, but he's at https://www.facebook.com/morrell.richardson and you can follow along on the whole process. And see the trophy I made!
He's a bit more of a mad scientist than I am.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
He's a bit more of a mad scientist than I am.
I approve of mad science! I like the boat too. also. I reminds me of the one the Mythbusters made out of frozen newspapers.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm

I don't know if non-facebook folks can see it, but here are some of the pics (spoiler in case you're on a phone):

(Sugar - I went to his Photos page, and clicked on the first one, then right clicked (or is that left - I'm left handed, so it's all backwards) and selected "Copy Image address", and pasted that into the img thing in the bar above. I'm using Chrome, so what you get in the dropdown for other browsers might be different.
Edit: and duh, I then clicked on the right-pointing arrow to get each of the other images
► Show Spoiler

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 pm

I have trouble with paper in water, but perhaps cardboard behaves differently. The surface of the cardboard looks different from what Amazon sends here.

I think that if I start seeing Amazon drones in the neighborhood, I may have to start a census of birds and make sure my owl sticks around.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 pm

TollandRCR wrote:I have trouble with paper in water, but perhaps cardboard behaves differently. The surface of the cardboard looks different from what Amazon sends here.

I think that if I start seeing Amazon drones in the neighborhood, I may have to start a census of birds and make sure my owl sticks around.
It's just plain brown corrugated cardboard that he buys in big sheets from the place that makes boxes. Ultimately, he'll paint it with RV roof paint to make it waterproof. They compete in the official cardboard boat races every year but he's building this one as a personal challenge to go across the reservoir in.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 pm

vic wrote:I don't know if non-facebook folks can see it, but here are some of the pics (spoiler in case you're on a phone):

(Sugar - I went to his Photos page, and clicked on the first one, then right clicked (or is that left - I'm left handed, so it's all backwards) and selected "Copy Image address", and pasted that into the img thing in the bar above. I'm using Chrome, so what you get in the dropdown for other browsers might be different.
Edit: and duh, I then clicked on the right-pointing arrow to get each of the other images
► Show Spoiler
Thank you!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Is the metal sculpture a hood ornament for the canoe?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:38 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:Is the metal sculpture a hood ornament for the canoe?
It's the trophy for the race. Plastic plates and bowls, child's tub toy and rubber fish and alligator. The piranhas around the middle are pencil sharpeners. I have since added some seashells around the pie pan. The whole thing is spray painted gold.

But damn you! Now I'm thinking of a hood ornament......maybe a mermaid Barbie with seaweed hair, carrying a rusty beer can....(part of the whole idea is for people to pick up trash as they follow along with the progress of the boat from shore and dump it in one big pile at the end)

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:12 am

Lady Litterbuster?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:19 am

RoadScholar wrote:Lady Litterbuster?
PERFECT!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:27 am

Very cool photos (and project!).

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:45 pm

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/6 ... =emaildkre
Good-news-department-U-S-generated-10-percent-of-March-electricity-from-solar-and-wind-power?

Data in a publication of the U.S. Energy Information Administration show that for March, monthly generation of electricity from wind and solar in the United States exceeded 10 percent of the total generation for the first time. This includes utility-scale facilities as well as smaller-scale systems. At the same time, EIA’s Electric Power Monthly reports that wind and solar made up 7 percent of total U.S. electric generation in 2016.

Electricity generation from wind and solar follows seasonal patterns that reflect the seasonal availability of wind and sunshine. Within the United States, wind patterns vary based on geography. For example, wind-powered generating units in Texas, Oklahoma, and nearby states often have their highest output in spring months, while wind-powered generators in California are more likely to have their highest output in summer months.

Based on annual data for 2016, Texas accounted for the largest total amount of wind and solar electricity generation. Nearly all of this generation was from wind, as Texas generates more wind energy than any other state. As a share of the state’s total electricity generation, wind and solar output was highest in Iowa, where wind and solar made up 37% of electricity generation in 2016. In addition to Iowa, wind and solar provided at least 20% of 2016 electricity generation in six other states.

In almost all states, wind makes up a larger share of the state’s total electricity generation than solar.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Now if only Teh Donald could claim this achievement for his administration himself :sarcasm:

Return to “Science & Technology”