Astronomy and Space

RVInit

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm

The Pillars of Creation portion of the Eagle Nebula is one of my favorite Hubble photos. It looks a little different in my telescope at home. :P

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Holy moly! It's giraffes all the way down!

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 pm

:fingerwag: Camelopardalis.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 pm
:fingerwag: Camelopardalis.
:lol:

--- George W Bush

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm

$6.00????!!!!!!!!! Now I can't get Foggy a Christmas/Hanukkah/Eid/Kwanzaa present! :eek2:
Edit: It is a purty pitcher.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm
Well then allow me to brag. We can see not one, not two, but three galaxies from our back yard, according to my physics geek sister, who pointed out all three to us when she visited. There is zero light pollution here.
*grumbles something about falling space rocks and sensitive pieces of anatomy*

Seriously though, that is really cool.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 pm

neeneko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm
maydijo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm
Well then allow me to brag. We can see not one, not two, but three galaxies from our back yard, according to my physics geek sister, who pointed out all three to us when she visited. There is zero light pollution here.
*grumbles something about falling space rocks and sensitive pieces of anatomy*

Seriously though, that is really cool.
:like:

--- George W Bush

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm
$6.00????!!!!!!!!! Now I can't get Foggy a Christmas/Hanukkah/Eid/Kwanzaa present! :eek2:
Don't believe a word of it. John P Capitalist is a money-bags, he didn't get the photo printed off at Costco, he paid NASA to deliver the Pillars of Creation straight to his apartment.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm
Don't believe a word of it. John P Capitalist is a money-bags, he didn't get the photo printed off at Costco, he paid NASA to deliver the Pillars of Creation straight to his apartment.
Now that would be really cool. Do the Pillars fit in an apartment?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 pm
maydijo wrote:
They do in John P Capitalist's apartment. It's YUGE!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 pm
maydijo wrote:

They do in John P Capitalist's apartment. It's YUGE!
He own his own Court House :?:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 am

That is one of my all time favorite Hubble pictures.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:32 pm

--- George W Bush

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:12 am

Fake Moons! :cussing:

"Hold mah bier." - Jomas Thefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 am

It would look real purty in a ring or a necklace.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 pm

--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:08 am

--- George W Bush

tencats

Post by tencats » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 am

Alien Probe or Galactic Driftwood? SETI Tunes In to 'Oumuamua
It’s a long shot, but scientists are about to listen very closely for radio signals from our solar system’s first known interstellar visitor
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -oumuamua/
Ever since its discovery in mid-October as it passed by Earth already outbound from our solar system, the mysterious object dubbed ‘Oumuamua (Hawaiian for “first messenger”) has left scientists utterly perplexed. Zooming down almost perpendicularly inside Mercury’s orbit at tens of thousands of kilometers per hour—too fast for our star’s gravity to catch—‘Oumuamua appeared to have been dropped in on our solar system from some great interstellar height, picking up even more speed on a slingshot-like loop around the sun before soaring away for parts unknown. It is now already halfway to Jupiter, too far for a rendezvous mission and rapidly fading from the view of Earth’s most powerful telescopes.

Astronomers scrambling to glimpse the fading object have revealed additional oddities. ‘Oumuamua was never seen to sprout a comet-like tail after getting close to the sun, hinting it is not a relatively fresh bit of icy flotsam from the outskirts of a nearby star system. This plus its deep red coloration—which mirrors that of some cosmic-ray-bombarded objects in our solar system—suggested that ‘Oumuamua could be an asteroid from another star. Yet those same observations also indicate ‘Oumuamua might be shaped rather like a needle, up to 800 meters long and only 80 wide, spinning every seven hours and 20 minutes. That would mean it is like no asteroid ever seen before, instead resembling the collision-minimizing form favored in many designs for notional interstellar probes. What’s more, it is twirling at a rate that could tear a loosely-bound rubble pile apart. Whatever ‘Oumuamua is, it appears to be quite solid—likely composed of rock, or even metal—seemingly tailor-made to weather long journeys between stars. So far there are few if any wholly satisfactory explanations as to how such an extremely elongated solid object could naturally form, let alone endure the forces of a natural high-speed ejection from a star system—a process thought to involve a wrenching encounter with a giant planet.

These bizarre characteristics have raised eyebrows among professional practitioners of SETI, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, who use large radio telescopes to listen for interstellar radio transmissions from other cosmic civilizations. If ‘Oumuamua is in fact artificial, the reasoning goes, it might be transmitting or at least leaking radio waves.
Animation of `Oumuamua passing through the Solar System (annotated)

Breakthrough Listen Is Eavesdropping on Strange Interstellar Object 'Oumuamua https://www.space.com/39046-interstella ... oject.html

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 am

RVInit wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:08 am
Cool!!!! AND music by Vangelis. :thumbs:

Return to “Science & Technology”