iPad Replacements

Addie

iPad Replacements

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:44 am

Ars Technica
Apple is replacing busted fourth-gen iPads with the newer, faster Air 2

Your replacement tablet may be two years newer and faster than your old one.

If you take your fourth-generation iPad into Apple for a repair, the company may replace your tablet with a newer iPad Air 2 instead. According to an internal memo published by MacRumors, Apple started doing this on March 30, right around when the $329 iPad became available for purchase:
Starting March 30, iPad 4th generation whole unit repairs may be substituted to iPad Air 2 models. Apple's repair and order management tool will indicate for each repair if a substitution will take place. Please note the substitute part’s color and capacity to ensure the customer understands what their replacement iPad whole unit will be.
The iPad Air 2 is two years newer than an iPad 4—it's significantly thinner, lighter, and faster, and it support iOS features like multitasking than the iPad 4 isn't capable of. More importantly, it's certain to be supported by the next major version of iOS, while the iPad 4 is more than likely to be dropped from the support list. Apple is likely running out of parts and replacement tablets for the older iPad, while the only-recently-discontinued iPad Air 2 is still available in abundance in Apple's refurbished store.

The iPad 4 was originally sold from November 2012 to October 2013, when it was replaced by the original iPad Air. It was then resurrected in March 2014 to replace the iPad 2 at the bottom of the lineup before being permanently discontinued in October 2014. The iPad Air 2 was sold from October 2014 until last month, when it was replaced by a new $329 iPad.

¡Qué vergüenza!

AndyinPA

Re: iPad Replacements

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 am

I have two iPad minis, one pretty basic and one with a lot of storage and cellular. I've also read recently that Apple has stopped upgrading the units with any new technology and that it's better to just go up one size. I'm not in the market for a new one any time soon, but I plan to check this out before I need to replace one of these, particularly my cellular one.

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:20 pm

AndyinPA wrote:I have two iPad minis, one pretty basic and one with a lot of storage and cellular. I've also read recently that Apple has stopped upgrading the units with any new technology and that it's better to just go up one size. I'm not in the market for a new one any time soon, but I plan to check this out before I need to replace one of these, particularly my cellular one.
Dang - I like my mini - especially because it fits in my purse and my bigger one was stolen from our house a few years ago. I don't want to go up a size! :madguy:

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 pm

I like my iPad mini for the same reason, but I'm starting to require more screen RE, and the 9.7" iPad isn't that much larger. it's about the size of a netbook.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Chilipup needs a tablet for college.

I'm hoping that Apple releases the next generation of iPad Pro before September, but I'm not holding my breath.

We've been looking at the big 12" one

Return to “Computers & Internet”