Next networking technology -- Li-Fi

RTH10260

Next networking technology -- Li-Fi

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Philips Lighting introduces LiFi: broadband data through light

French company Icade pilots Philips LiFi-enabled luminaires at its smart office in Paris
Secure and highly stable high-speed Internet connection without compromising light quality
First major lighting company to LiFi-enable regular office luminaires

March 16, 2018

Eindhoven, The Netherlands – Philips Lighting (Euronext: LIGHT), the world leader in lighting, is now offering Light Fidelity (LiFi), a technology in which high quality LED lighting provides a broadband Internet connection through light waves. As the lighting company for the Internet of Things, Philips Lighting is the first global lighting company to offer LiFi-enabled luminaires from its existing office lighting portfolio.

“LiFi has enormous potential for today’s digital age and as the world’s leading lighting company we are proud to pioneer new and innovative services for our customers,” said Olivia Qiu, Chief Innovation Officer, Philips Lighting.

“While radio frequencies are becoming congested, the visible light spectrum is an untapped resource with a large bandwidth suitable for the stable simultaneous connection of a vast array of Internet of Things devices. Being a lighting company, we ensure that our customers benefit from the finest quality energy efficient light along with state-of-the-art connectivity,” she added.

Broadband Internet connection and quality illumination at the same time

LiFi is a two-way, high-speed wireless technology similar to WiFi but uses light waves instead of radio waves to transmit data. Philips Lighting’s office luminaires enabled with LiFi technology provide broadband connection with a speed of 30 Mb per second (Mb/s) without compromising lighting quality. With 30Mb/s a user can stream simultaneously several HD quality videos while having video calls.

http://www.newsroom.lighting.philips.co ... ough-light

RVInit

Re: Next networking technology -- Li-Fi

Post by RVInit » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Off Topic
Great. We are saddled with enormous amounts of debt, throwing record amounts of money into yet more military, we will just get further and further behind as other countries invest in new technologies and greener forms of energy. I only hope that we have some forward thinking military minds that will have the foresight to invest in technology that ultimately will be transferred to the realm of the civilian, such as the military investment in computer technology that spawned a major industry.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Thanks, Eurobot. Interesting.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm

An internet connection that your cat can learn how to block by sitting down in the right place. Not sure it's gonna catch on.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm
An internet connection that your cat can learn how to block by sitting down in the right place. Not sure it's gonna catch on.
Your cat maybe. My cat can't figure out how to use the litterbox correctly.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Predictive failure analysis must always consider cats.

--Thomas Jefferson

Image Image Image Image Image

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

--Thomas Jefferson
:lol:

Is this gonna work in my outdoor room? So instead of my wi-fi extender, I have to set up an LED light source outside, exposed to the elements? :think:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm

We already have "blue light" issues.

Is this going to exacerbate the problem?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Oh, you nattering nabobs of negativity! Cats probably invented this technology!

I thought fiber optics were the next big thing. I think I must have blinked :? ...

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 pm
Oh, you nattering nabobs of negativity! Cats probably invented this technology!

I thought fiber optics were the next big thing. I think I must have blinked :? ...
Actually no, you'll still need the speeds of fiber optics to get internet into your home, this just replaces your WiFi distribution of the internet in the home.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Huh.

I am skeptical about the bi-directional thing since that requires aiming an external emitter back at the fixture, but as a downstream method this might work pretty well. Though one problem is that pretty much every environment is going to be 'light hostile' since the fixture is going to be competing with everything else in the room.

Neat, but I can not see wide application. Maybe for desks or booths or something where you want connections to be tied to where someone is sitting.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Off Topic
I have two cats. One of them thinks that the important thing is to be standing in the litterbox, no matter how far his ass is hanging over the edge. He's the dumbest animal I've ever owned, and I had a pet goldfish once. He would block the thing only by accident.

The other cat has not only mastered the litterbox, she's also mastered the art of deliberately knocking things off the nightstand, one at a time, carefully escalating in value, until her whims are catered to. Pretty sure she'd figure out the internet thing pretty fast.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Is this technology as fragile as the above comments imply? That is, can something block it by passing in front of the emitter? If so, I do not see this technology penetrating many homes and offices. Also, the bandwidth is not spectacular. It might get a strong reception from people who fear radio and similar waves.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

vic

Post by vic » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Wikipedia has a nice article about this technology.

It describes some use cases for the product, such as areas where the radio interference of WiFi would be a problem. Not being able to penetrate walls can be an advantage when needing secure connections. It also says that line of sight is not necessary; fairly high rates can be reached even when the light is bouncing off walls. Further, the high switching rate means that it would (should) be unnoticeable by people, and it can use invisible portions of the spectrum (infrared, ultraviolet).

That being said, it sounds to me that it has limited applicability. You need to get the data to the light fixtures somehow; if you're not using WiFi or similar technology, you need to have a wired connection. I guess you can use powerline technologies for that, but that could lose the advantage of secure shielded communications. Who wants to pull ethernet cables to their lighting fixtures (other than the CIA or NSA)?
Edit: I have an older (1950's) 2-story house, and I've have trouble getting decent WiFi to much of the house. I've tried WiFi extenders and powerline adapters. A few months ago I decided to try WiFi mesh (got the Google version) and am extremely happy. My den is on the first floor, south end, and my internet connection is in my office, second floor, north end. The best I had been able to do with extenders gave me 5-10 Mb download in the den from a 50Mb internet connection, when it worked. The mesh is giving me 35-40Mb in the den.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:33 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Off Topic
I have two cats. One of them thinks that the important thing is to be standing in the litterbox, no matter how far his ass is hanging over the edge. He's the dumbest animal I've ever owned, and I had a pet goldfish once. He would block the thing only by accident.

The other cat has not only mastered the litterbox, she's also mastered the art of deliberately knocking things off the nightstand, one at a time, carefully escalating in value, until her whims are catered to. Pretty sure she'd figure out the internet thing pretty fast.
Off Topic
That's EXACTLY what mine does, too. We bought a bigger box, but she still shits over the side. We bought a box with a high rim thing, so now we have to clean the box and the high rim thing. I finally just gave up and put the whole thing in the bath tub. She's the same one who pushes stuff off the table/nightstand/island/desk. And the bitch will look right at you while she does it. She's also the one who has only 2 speeds, asleep and full bore. She never just walks anywhere, even if it's only 6 feet across the room.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:50 pm

The Litter Robot might be a (expensive) solution for that cat.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

--Thomas Jefferson
I may have to steal this ;)

Return to “Computers & Internet”