Firefox Quantum

RTH10260

Firefox Quantum

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Email notice:
The new Firefox. Fast for good.
Today we’re thrilled to introduce you to our brand new browser — Firefox Quantum.

What you’ll notice first is that the new Firefox is blazing fast. In fact, you’ll enjoy speeds up to twice as fast as a year ago. It’s also more powerful. We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today to watch, listen, create and play without limits. We’re excited to deliver a browser that feels completely different — modern, quick and efficient. We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the internet.

When you use Firefox, you’re also contributing to a movement to ensure the internet remains a global public resource, open and accessible to all. As an independent, not-for-profit organization, we’ve been committed since 2003 to building products that put you in control of your online life and advancing open technology and public policy that promote a healthier internet. We put you at the center of everything we do.

On behalf of Mozilla's global community, we're proud to introduce you to the new Firefox. Fast for good.
more at https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/

jmj

Re: Firefox Quantum

Post by jmj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm

I just installed it. It's a huge improvement.

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

How much RAM does it chew up?

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm

it looks like Edge with a Firefox logo.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Supposed to be 30% less than FF56.
MojoSapien wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

¡Qué vergüenza!

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 am

I use Firefox as a secure browser so I use it infrequently to go to those sites I don't completely trust (like Orly's frequently infected site). I opened it this morning and automatically got the update, which I would have preferred to have a say in. The most critical add-on for my secure browser setup is NoScript, which allows you to choose which java scripts are allowed to run, isn't available yet but the developers hope to have it up very soon. Additionally, the "See more add-ons" page is coming up blank, but that may be the fault of one of my other blockers. I'll have to work on that. It does seem to be faster.

The one big interface bone I have to pick is that only recently bookmarked items come up when I click on the bookmarks icon. To get to my list of managed bookmarks I have to click "Show all bookmarks" at the bottom of the recent bookmarks list and select them from the bookmarks menu in a pop-up window which is a bit of a PITA. Maybe I'm missing something? At first glance, I don't see a way to change this behavior though I admit I haven't really started to look into it yet.

If a deficit spending, constant golfing, blame shirking, Russia lover is your guy then the next time somebody asks "Hey conservatives,do you love America?" you have to say "Sure,but not as much as I love my side winning."
Neal Brennan

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 am

It updated this morning automatically. I'm still looking around, but it seems to be pretty good. There are a few things that I will have to get used to, but no big deal. I thought at first that my bookmarks are harder to access, but I don't think they are. It's just different, having to pull up a side bar. I think I'll get used to it all pretty quickly. And it's definitely much faster!

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 am
I use Firefox as a secure browser so I use it infrequently to go to those sites I don't completely trust (like Orly's frequently infected site). I opened it this morning and automatically got the update, which I would have preferred to have a say in.
mine gave me a choice window this morning which I declined.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Yeah, my desktop must have been set to automatic update which is not how I normally set things. My laptop is set to allow me to choose when to install updates and is still on the old version. I'll use it until NoScript is updated to work with the new version.

If a deficit spending, constant golfing, blame shirking, Russia lover is your guy then the next time somebody asks "Hey conservatives,do you love America?" you have to say "Sure,but not as much as I love my side winning."
Neal Brennan

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:08 pm

I don't want to know what's 'Recommended by Pocket'. I also would like more of my 10 or so favourite sites to show up, not just the six they have room for since they have to have 'recommended by Pocket'.

It's hard for me to tell if it's faster. The telephone company people were out a couple of weeks ago and told me that my 40 year old line running to the house should be replaced. However, that's 300 feet of line plus apparently the pole on my property belongs to the telephone company (which seems to not be the norm) and they don't really want to replace that either.

Since my internet access is via DSL, I don't get the fastest speeds out there.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Azastan wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:08 pm
I don't want to know what's 'Recommended by Pocket'. I also would like more of my 10 or so favourite sites to show up, not just the six they have room for since they have to have 'recommended by Pocket'.

It's hard for me to tell if it's faster. The telephone company people were out a couple of weeks ago and told me that my 40 year old line running to the house should be replaced. However, that's 300 feet of line plus apparently the pole on my property belongs to the telephone company (which seems to not be the norm) and they don't really want to replace that either.

Since my internet access is via DSL, I don't get the fastest speeds out there.
I have the Pocket add-in, and don't have a Recommended by Pocket option. Are you talking about the Bookmark Toolbar, i.e., the row of websites you've selected to appear across the top of your Firefox application (Alt-V, T, B - to toggle its appearance)?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Wish I hadn't upgraded. My Bookmarks Toolbar is now useless. No way to remove the text attached to folders, thus no way for all my bookmarks to fit on top of the window. Roomy Bookmarks add-on incompatible and no alternative I can find. I depend on my Bookmarks Toolbar a lot. Yuch.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

jmj

Post by jmj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Azastan wrote:
If you click the little gear icon in the top right corner, you can customize that page a bit. I de-selected the "Recommended by pocket" checkbox, and I also enabled the "Show two rows" checkbox under "Top sites". Sounds like those things are also what you want.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm
Wish I hadn't upgraded. My Bookmarks Toolbar is now useless. No way to remove the text attached to folders, thus no way for all my bookmarks to fit on top of the window. Roomy Bookmarks add-on incompatible and no alternative I can find. I depend on my Bookmarks Toolbar a lot. Yuch.
I don't understand what you mean by "remove the text attached to folders." If you right-click on a bookmark in your bookmark toolbar, you can select Properties and change the name (mine are all short names so they all fit across).

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Portia, there might be an issue with your installation, because mine updated/overlaid and it looks and acts the same as before (though a bit faster on some things). I just tried editing a folder on my bookmarks bar by right-clicking on it and selecting properties. It did open the properties window for the folder/bookmark, and I was able to edit the name as usual.

We've got compatibility issues at work with a new browser-based application* and Firefox, so I updated to see if it'd improve things. Not really, and several of our work tools/extensions* are not compatible and thus disabled, so...whoops, my bad.

*These are part of the reasons I've got seven different browsers installed on my work pc. The other reason being troubleshooting.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm

jmj wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 pm
Azastan wrote:
If you click the little gear icon in the top right corner, you can customize that page a bit. I de-selected the "Recommended by pocket" checkbox, and I also enabled the "Show two rows" checkbox under "Top sites". Sounds like those things are also what you want.
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted, thank you!

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Portia, there might be an issue with your installation, because mine updated/overlaid and it looks and acts the same as before (though a bit faster on some things). I just tried editing a folder on my bookmarks bar by right-clicking on it and selecting properties. It did open the properties window for the folder/bookmark, and I was able to edit the name as usual.
Thanks, 'Moo! That helps a lot. I had been using Roomy Bookmarks, which allowed tremendous flexibility in organizing the bookmarks toolbar. So I hadn't used the properties for folders for years and had forgotten about it/never knew--and the google failed me. I hope Roomy Bookmarks comes up with a new version that will run with 57, however, as they still don't all fit, even with condensed check.

:thumbs:

tjh

Post by tjh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 pm

MojoSapien wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm
Lots.

I moved to Chrome-y browsers (Chrome,Opera,Vivaldi) and contemplating going back to FF57.

My main browser right now is Opera ... for its built-in VPN.

Chrome problem : I listen to one radio station (my own, kpfz.org) .. and there's a bug in the chrome html5 player -- it doesn't release memory. Starts at about 400MB ... but builds and builds until the system runs out of ram and can't even handle a ctrl-alt-D.

FF53 : one streaming tab -- stays at 400G.

FF57 : one streaming tab, and it devil-spawns processes, adding up to 1.2G ... on a 4G system which starts off using 2G for a bare desktop.
At least it stays at 1.2G, so I can live with it.

Yeah, yeah ... a base system these days is 32-64G, so 1.2G is chicken-feed. Unfortunately I'm a chicken.

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 pm

p0rtia wrote:
no bookmarks sidebar option?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Whip wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 pm
p0rtia wrote:
I've never liked the sidebar. Maybe it has features I'm unfamiliar with that would make me love it (willing to learn!), but as of now I prefer the Toolbar. Speaking of which, anybody know if there is an autohide feature hidden somewhere?

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Can anyone tell me how or if I can get back my bottom add-on bar? Thank you.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:43 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 pm
Whip wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 pm
p0rtia wrote:
I've never liked the sidebar. Maybe it has features I'm unfamiliar with that would make me love it (willing to learn!), but as of now I prefer the Toolbar. Speaking of which, anybody know if there is an autohide feature hidden somewhere?
I've just always used the sidebar. It shows a lot of bookmarks (more than toolbar) like you want.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 pm

If you click on the icon on the top that looks like books, it pulls up the bookmarks without the side bar.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am

To get the drop-down bookmarks menu on your toolbar with your managed bookmarks instead of recent bookmarks, click on the hamburger menu (three stacked bars), Customize, and then drag Bookmarks Menu to the right side of the toolbar. This will give you a star with an underscore icon on the toolbar and clicking on that gives you the old style bookmarks menu. Now I'm just waiting for NoScript to be updated for the new version.

Oh, and my laptop, which I had verified was set to ask me about installing updates, updated to Quantum automatically yesterday afternoon. I'm not thrilled about that.

Neal Brennan

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 am

Shizzle, I'm using No-Script Suite Lite. It's made a big difference in my satisfaction with Quantum. :-D

As an example, I wasn't able to use the controls in the Fogbow posting box at first, they were all dead and I had to code everything by hand. Once I installed No-Script Lite and white-listed TFB, everything came back to normal.
No-Script Suite Lite provides an extra security for your Browser. It allows JavaScript to be executed only by trusted websites of your choice. Few websites are added to the white-list table above by default, but you can edit the list at any time.
Shizzle Popped wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am
Now I'm just waiting for NoScript to be updated for the new version.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Computers & Internet”