What are you watching on TV these days?

vic

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by vic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Well, I tried. I was sure I wouldn't be interested in The Crown, so didn't watch - until a week ago. I was wrong, but at least I managed to spread season 1 over three or four days. And I waited until today - 24 hours after it was released - before starting on season 2. I didn't even binge watch; I only watched three episodes back-to-back before taking a break.

(Although I guess I have to admit that the break was enforced by Gracie demanding dinner in no uncertain meows.)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm

vic you are a wimp!

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 pm

vic wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 pm
Well, I tried. I was sure I wouldn't be interested in The Crown, so didn't watch - until a week ago. I was wrong, but at least I managed to spread season 1 over three or four days. And I waited until today - 24 hours after it was released - before starting on season 2. I didn't even binge watch; I only watched three episodes back-to-back before taking a break.

(Although I guess I have to admit that the break was enforced by Gracie demanding dinner in no uncertain meows.)
I wasn't sure until the end of the 2nd episode, but the way that episode was constructed to get to that final shot, I could tell this was something special.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:19 am

Normally I wouldn't bring up a TV episode that aired in 1971 but I think this one is relevant .

It's "Terror at 2:00" on Bonanza. At the beginning a man and two accomplices (we find out later they're paid, in it only for the money) gun down two soldiers in cold blood.

Meanwhile, over in Virginia City they're getting ready for a big treaty signing between the government and Winnemucca.

The man, played by Steve Ihnat, now sitting and drinking in his Virginia City hotel suite, has a flashback to a young man, with an Indian woman, pleading for his life.

We also learn he killed the two soldiers for the Gatling gun they were transporting.

When a reporter, then Hoss, blunder into his hotel suite, we find out that he intends to use the Gatling gun to mow down everyone at the signing. Everyone — man, woman, child, infant. Why? He's a white supremacist who wants the Indians to go back to war so the white man can finish off the genocide. Not just Paiute, but all of them. Hoss doesn't know why he's crazy; he insists he's not mad. He's planned this all so carefully for years, as though that's proof he's not mad.
► Show Spoiler
You can see a few ways it relates to today's headlines . . .

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:12 am

Midnight Sun is a Swedish/French production set way the hell in the north of Sweden near Lapland; now showing on Hulu. The single-industry town of Kiruna is set to be moved, the whole town, by the mining company whose activities have shaken the earth to the point where the area's population is unsafe. This population is mixed Swedish and Sami, the indigenous people who have been there for thousands of years. A good part of the story is about myth, multiculturalism, prejudice, and political activism, but the opening crime involves a French citizen's murder drawing a Parisian detective to aid the local prosecutors. The investigating team quickly is down to two: The French-born Algerian beauty, Kahina Zadi, is left with her half-Swede/half-Sami partner, a sweet, bumbling doofus named Anders, for the remainder of the first season. Murders come fast and furious, and whoa, inventive, so I wouldn't expect to always know what's going on every minute, but by the end it clears up. Even if you never knew what's going on, this series can be watched solely for its awesome cinematography.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

Just watched the season finale of Outlander. Well done, so much nail biting and emotional ups and downs watching that all play out. And so realistic, considering it was all filmed on a set in South Africa. The Jamaica stuff was all kinds of cray-cray.

vic

Post by vic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm
vic you are a wimp!
So is it really true that I have to wait a whole year before I can watch season 3? WTF?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 am

vic wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
vic you are a wimp!
So is it really true that I have to wait a whole year before I can watch season 3? WTF?
Maybe longer. As far as I know they still haven't cast Lizzie, Maggie, and Phil for seasons 3 and 4. (Each season covers 10 years, so they're recasting every 2 seasons.)

vic

Post by vic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 am

:o Maybe I should’ve waited a few more years before I started watching.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 am

Never fear, I have the answer for you! Why wait for more Crown drama? As a special Christmas present, just for you (and, well, whoever else wants it) I've found this! Print it out, cut it out, and have hours of fun creating your own soap opera! Will Liz stay with Phil or will she kick the ne'er do well bigot to the curb? Will she join her sister on her adventures in Mustique? Will she time-travel into the future with Doctor Who, see what a balls-up Di makes of the royal family, and kill Charles to save us all? Now YOU get to be in the monarch's driver's seat! Have fun, and remember, play nicely.
paper doll.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 am

Here's Prince Philip - he doesn't come with a change of clothes, but you can always do what I did when I was a kid and tape him the window, and then tape a piece of paper on top, and draw your own clothes. I suggest you start with the natty white shorts and knee-high look from episode 2. Added bonus: you won't have to pull out your crayons, since your paper is already white.

prince phillip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 am

Alas, the only paper doll I could find of Maggie was of a little girl, and you do not want to use a little girl paper doll to recreate her very grown-up hijinx. So, instead I found this very mod 1960s paper doll who could be Margaret, if you squint and use your imagination. Hey, compared to the paper dolls I played with when I was a kid, I'm giving you gold here, so work with me. She definitely has the best wardrobe of the lot.
might be maggie paper doll.jpg

Edited - I only just now saw the tape on her legs. Consider it a form of birth control.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:37 am

I want to wear some of these outfits especially the long dresses. The red above the knee bubble hem is just tacky! Way too baby doll for a queen plus NOBODY looks good in that style. Thanks for the time travel to the 50's and 60's!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 am
vic wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
vic you are a wimp!
Maybe longer. As far as I know they still haven't cast Lizzie, Maggie, and Phil for seasons 3 and 4. (Each season covers 10 years, so they're recasting every 2 seasons.)
The original cast is gonna be tough to follow.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Season finale of Mr. Robot. “Intense” doesn’t come close.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:51 am

I'm really liking The Orville. It is not Family Guy In Space. Very provocative. The last episode revolved around a small crew crash landing on a primitive planet. Despite orders not to interact, the first mate saves a small child after an injury, using one of their advanced medical gadgets. The crew is reprimanded for the interference and ordered to monitor the planet to see if their interaction has affected it. They return to find a new religion has sprung up around *Kelly* and people are being put to death for not believing, or, if accused of a crime, placed in a precarious situation to wait for Kelly to save them. If she doesn't, then they are surely guilty.

(No, I haven't given away the entire episode. Still worth the watch.)

ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 am

Season 4 of "Peaky Blinders" starts tomorrow.

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:32 pm

bob wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 am
Season 4 of "Peaky Blinders" starts tomorrow.
Well then, I should get serious about starting season 2 then. ;)

Something I would recommend to everyone here: Wormwood, a 6-part documentary by Errol Morris (did Thin Blue Line). The story begins with how Frank Olson, a military scientist, fell to his death from a NYC hotel room back in the early 50's. Then it goes on to how the journalist Seymour Hersh, in the early 1970s, revealed how the CIA had experimented with LSD, giving it people without their knowledge and consent. The CIA admitted to the Olson family that Frank had been an unwitting participant in this research, and that it most likely played a role in his jumping to his death. This stuff was apparently a very big news story back in 1973, but I certainly have no memory of it. In my defense, I was 11 at the time.

Anyway, it turns out there is much more to the story. Of course I'm not going to give it away, but boy is it ever harrowing. Seymour Hersh returns in the final episode and turns out to have his own major role in the story. Some of you probably know the story already, having read about it in the news over the past year or two. But I had not....and it just utterly blew my mind.

But the documentary is also very much about Eric Olson, Frank's son. Eric was a young boy when Frank died, and has spent virtually his entire life obsessed with finding out what really happened to his father. To the point that he has pretty much avoided doing much of anything with his own life. Although he want to Harvard and (I think) got a Ph.D, he hasn't been able to have any real career. He still lives in his childhood home. He's very smart, articulate, and a great story-teller, yet he's a very sad figure as well.

The documentary is intermixed with docudrama (reenactments of what may or may not have happened). IIRC, Thin Blue Line was like that too.

Streams on Netflix. Check it out!

Edit to add the trailer...

Am I being detained?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 pm

The Indian Detective on Netflix. A bit on the silly side, but I like it. A Toronto cop, born and raised in Canada, gets suspended from the force. He goes to visit his father in Mumbai, where he gets into all sorts of trouble with the local police and local gangsters who are trying to ship heroin into Canada.

¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 pm

We just watched Wormwood last weekend. Errol Morris knows how to tell a story, eh? One of my favorites of his is Thin Blue Line.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. New Yawk Joos being funny. :P Lotsa laughs, but it made me homesick.
Have finished 6 episodes. Very good but some scenes go on a little long after the point has been made.

Liked the protest against Robert Moses's plans to build a highway across downtown Manhattan. That project was stopped. :-D Sadly his earlier plan for the Cross Bronx Expressway went forward destroying neighborhoods and dooming Mrs. V. and I to many traffic jams going to and from LI when we lived in northern NJ. :madguy:

For the info of non-New York folk the B. Altman store where Midge works in the shop closed in early 1990. The building, a landmark, is now used as a CUNY graduate education center. Mrs. V. used to shop in the branch location in Manhassett on LI.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 am

We watched The Indian Detective tonight, Addie. :thumbs: Its perfect for when you want something light and likable, like when when recovering from the flu. I think it’s silly too but I love Russell Peters, who plays Doug. He’s a stand up comedian.

We also watched Kingsman: Golden Circle, another romp with a similar villain. Both villains wanted to legitimize their drug cartel skills so the real world would recognize and approve of them...and to launder money.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 am

That was my favorite episode, too, the demo in Washington Square Park :thumbs:
Volkonski wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 pm
Addie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime.
Liked the protest against Robert Moses's plans to build a highway across downtown Manhattan. That project was stopped. :-D Sadly his earlier plan for the Cross Bronx Expressway went forward destroying neighborhoods and dooming Mrs. V. and I to many traffic jams going to and from LI when we lived in northern NJ. :madguy:

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 am

I enjoyed the father and his house man, as a team. Those two cracked me up. Also the romance angles were sweet. I had never seen Russell Peters, I don't think, but I liked him a lot.

I'll look for Kingsman: Golden Circle at some point, thanks. I am now watching that western Godless on Netflix. It's pretty violent, but terrific. Exceptionally good. I'd recommend it even for folks who don't usually watch westerns.
kate520 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 am
We watched The Indian Detective tonight, Addie. :thumbs: Its perfect for when you want something light and likable, like when when recovering from the flu. I think it’s silly too but I love Russell Peters, who plays Doug. He’s a stand up comedian.

We also watched Kingsman: Golden Circle, another romp with a similar villain. Both villains wanted to legitimize their drug cartel skills so the real world would recognize and approve of them...and to launder money.

¡Qué vergüenza!

realist

Post by realist » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:41 am

I am now watching that western Godless on Netflix. It's pretty violent, but terrific. Exceptionally good. I'd recommend it even for folks who don't usually watch westerns.
Agree. Absolutely loved it. Only thing wrong with it is it's only a few episodes. :crying:

We've been binge watching Longmire.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “The Lounge”