Hijack this thread

verbalobe

Hijack this thread

Post by verbalobe » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Wait, verbie could post in it at 9 a.m. but you can't at ten minutes before noon? :-? Have you tried his computer?AHEM. [-(

TexasFilly

Hijack this thread

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 pm

On the chiggers...what's wrong with hydrocortisone or some calamine lotion (it comes in clear now)?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Post by SueDB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:22 pm

On the chiggers...what's wrong with hydrocortisone or some calamine lotion (it comes in clear now)?We used to use sulphur (sulfur) power and an liquid called "ChigAway" - which I think was mostly sulphur to dust the pant legs and belt line.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

TollandRCR

Hijack this thread

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:53 pm

More bad news about traveling:CNN July 29, 2013 [link]"Dozens injured in Swiss train collision, railway spokesman says",http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/29/world ... index.html[/link]At least five people seriously injured. One engineer is missing.USA Today July 28, 2013 [link]38 killed in southern Italy bus crash,http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... e/2594567/[/link]

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:50 pm

! Message from: Foggy
Please post ObamaCare posts in the ObamaCare thread, so we can have some continuity. People shouldn't have to comb through lots of different threads.I'm moving today's posts. Please, this thread is just for short term hijacks, not for snippets about an important issue where we already have a long discussion.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

listeme

Hijack this thread

Post by listeme » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Rules rules, all the time rules. :hug: :hug: Thanks for all the vacuuming!

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Post by SueDB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm

So.... Where's Snookie?Just Checking In On New Jersey Today:[/break1]nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/29/19758540-real-housewives-of-new-jersey-stars-face-fraud-charges?lite]'Real Housewives of New Jersey' stars face fraud chargesTwo stars of the TV reality show “Real Housewives of New Jersey” were hit with a dose of reality Monday when federal prosecutors charged them with 39 counts of fraud, alleging that they used fake paystubs, tax returns and W-2s to secure nearly $5 million in loans before trying to declare bankruptcy....“The Real Housewives of New Jersey,” which chronicles the often tumultuous lives of five women and their mates in Northern New Jersey and is now in its fifth season, began airing in May 2009. Teresa Giudice parlayed her sudden celebrity into best-selling cookbooks and an appearance on Donald Trump’s “Celebrity Apprentice,” among other sidelines.In October 2009, before the second season of the show began airing, the Giudices filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in federal court in Newark. As part of their filings, they were required to disclose their assets, income, liabilities and any anticipated increase in income.Federal prosecutors now allege that between 2001 and 2008, the Guidices submitted fraudulent documents and supporting information, including fake paystubs and W-2 forms, in order to obtain eight mortgages, construction loans and lines of credit from a variety of lenders. Among the loans, which totaled $4.92 million, were a mortgage worth $1.72 million from CBBC and a construction loan of $1.7 million from Sterling, both approved in 2008, the year the reality show began production.

Dolly

Hijack this thread

Post by Dolly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Sorry, Foggy. I just posted about members and staff Obamacare coverage. I was commenting to MsDaisy and didn't consider what thread it was. :oops:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Post by SueDB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

[/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/next-generation-science-standards_n_3672418.html]Kentucky Doesn't Like Science, Like DUH....Supporters and opponents of the Next Generation Science Standards sparred during hearings in Kentucky last week, as critics took issue with the standards’ teaching of evolution and climate change.The new standards were developed with input from officials in 26 states –- including Kentucky –- and are part of an effort to make science curricula more uniform across the country. While supporters feel the standards will help beat back scientific ignorance, some religious groups take issue because the standards treat evolution as fact and talk about the human role in climate change.The Kentucky Board of Education adopted the standards in June and held hearings to get public feedback on the standards last week before they were presented to the state legislature for official approval.Matt Singleton, a Baptist minister, is one of the opponents who spoke to the board about why the standards should not be adopted, according to The Courier-Journal. “Outsiders are telling public school families that we must follow the rich man’s elitist religion of evolution, that we no longer have what the Kentucky Constitution says is the right to worship almighty God,” Singleton said. “Instead, this fascist method teaches that our children are the property of the state.”Oh and Kentucky elected Rand Paul.... Go figure.

Sugar Magnolia

Hijack this thread

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:15 am

[highlight]For history buffs, tomorrow we find out if the skeleton found in a car park in Leicester is Richard III, killed at Bosworth Did I. 1485.[/highlight]I doubt I will be able to sleep tonight waiting to hear.PS Go Ravens! Make the niners score nevermore.Skeleton found in Leicestershire car park CONFIRMED as that of King Richard III [/break1]independent.co.uk/news/science/skeleton-found-in-leicestershire-car-park-confirmed-as-that-of-king-richard-iii-8479620.html]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 79620.htmlI want to see the facial reconstruction!Or maybe not.[/break1]yahoo.com/medieval-coffin-king-richard-iii-holds-another-coffin-152525581.html]http://news.yahoo.com/medieval-coffin-k ... 25581.html

realist

Hijack this thread

Post by realist » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

[link]The Blaze,http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07 ... aranormal/[/link]

Art Bell to Make Radio Comeback With Sirius XM Show About the Paranormal

[highlight]NEW YORK (AP)[/highlight] — Art Bell, radio’s master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone on Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

Bell was one of radio’s top syndicated voices in the 1990s before walking away from his nightly show in 2002 due to family issues. He worked occasionally after that but hasn’t been on the air since Halloween 2010.

“I missed it terribly,” said Bell, 68, whose weeknight show will air live from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET. [highlight]Sirius is building a studio at Bell’s rural Nevada home[/highlight] where he will work.

[...]

There’s also a potential rivalry with George Noory, who replaced Bell on the syndicated show. [highlight]Bell isn’t a fan, saying he considers Noory “not edgy enough[/highlight].” Noory’s program is on later at night, so the two will not compete directly live. \ :D /

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Princess foofypants

Hijack this thread

Post by Princess foofypants » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 am

Fun with birth certificates....To join the DAR I need copies of old family birth certificates. Yesterday I received some from Iowa from the late 1800s. Their is no "race" listed. Instead, they use "color". And the choices are, get this, "white, black or red". Unfortunately my great-grandmother (who is the one getting me in the DAR) has a completely different last name than any one I have ever heard. I have her as one name in her childhood census and her marriage certificate yet suddenly a name pops out that I've never heard before on my grandfather's birth certificate. Weird.

Dolly

Hijack this thread

Post by Dolly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Couple Sues After Toddler's Sex Change SurgeryThe couple filed two lawsuits that allege the defendants violated the child's 14th Amendment rights by performing the sexual assignment surgery on their adopted child who was then 20 months old. May 31, 2013A Columbia couple is suing the Medical University of South Carolina, Greenville Hospital System and the S.C. Department of Social Services after a sexual-assignment surgery was performed on a then-20-month-old child born with both male and female reproductive organs.Pam and Mark Crawford along with their attorneys from the Southern Poverty Law Center and Advocates for Informed Choice announced Tuesday that two lawsuits have been filed in federal and state court. The Crawfords, who adopted a child identified as M.C. in the lawsuits, say while the toddler was in the care of the S.C. Department of Social Services, doctors and department officials decided the child should undergo sex assignment surgery to "make M.C. a girl" after doctors determined the child had an intersex condition.The condition is a difference in reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t fit the typical definition of male or female – a condition that years ago would have been called “hermaphroditism,” attorneys said. “By performing this needless surgery, the state and the doctors told M.C. that he was not acceptable or loveable the way he was born,” Pam Crawford, M.C.’s adoptive mother, said in a release. “They disfigured him because they could not accept him for who he was – not because he needed any surgery. M.C. is a charming, enchanting and resilient kid. We will not stop until we get justice for our son.”The child — who is now 8 years old — identifies as a boy, wearing boy clothes and hairstyles.Anne Tamar-Mattis, Executive Director of Advocates for Informed Choice, told Patch that the Crawfords adopted the child shortly after the surgery took place. Tamar-Mattis said the parents were actively seeking a child with special needs and knew of other children who underwent sexual-assignment surgery. They were prepared to raise the child as a girl, but they soon realized that would not be possible.......................[/break1]patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/couple-sues-sc-agency-after-toddler-s-sex-change-surgery]http://columbia-sc.patch.com/groups/edi ... ge-surgeryalso at Southern Poverty Law Center 05/14/2013Groundbreaking SPLC lawsuit accuses South Carolina, doctors and hospitals of unnecessary surgery on infant......................The Crawfords hope to prevent other children with intersex condition from being forced to endure unwanted sex assignment surgery.Sean Saifa Wall, an adult with an intersex condition, was raised as a female but now lives his life as a man. He remembers the pressure doctors put on his mother to consent to vaginal construction surgery during puberty. After hearing the details of how invasive and barbaric the surgery appeared, Wall’s mother refused, sparing him from irreparable injury.“Infants and children should be loved and accepted in the bodies they were born in,” Wall said. “I speak for the many who cannot speak, including those living with the shame, isolation and secrecy that surround people with intersex conditions. I say to them, you are not alone and it’s time for us to be proud of these bodies we inhabit.”The lawsuit, filed in state and federal court, joins a long line of SPLC cases brought on behalf of those harmed by medical recklessness, including a 1973 case on behalf of young African-American women sterilized against their will.......................[/break1]splcenter.org/get-informed/news/groundbreaking-splc-lawsuit-accuses-south-carolina-doctors-and-hospitals-of-unnece]http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/n ... -of-unnece

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

mimi

Hijack this thread

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:46 pm

I can't see this clip until tomorrow. From the description, I wanna see it!After the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded and leaked nearly 5 million barrels of crude oil into the Gulf, Halliburton conducted an internal review and concluded BP was entirely to blame. Halliburton allegedly destroyed evidence suggesting that cement it used during construction of the oil well contributed to the blowout and subsequent explosion.“Poor planning leading to major destruction followed by lying and coverups? It’s hard to believe this man ever had anything to do with with Halliburton,” Oliver said, referring to former Vice President Dick Cheney.Last week, the company agreed to plead guilty to destroying evidence and pay a $200,000 fine.“So you can ruin the Gulf Coast and destroy the evidence, and all for the price of four Toyota Avalons and half a semester at NYU?” Oliver remarked.Thanks to the plea deal, the Justice Department decided not to pursue any more charges against Halliburton. The news resulted in the company’s stock going up.“In the case of Halliburton v. Any Sense of Humanity, I hereby find that Halliburton can go eat a bag of dicks,” Oliver said.see it here:[/break1]rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/31/john-oliver-rips-halliburton-for-destroying-the-gulf-of-mexico-they-can-go-eat-a-bag-of-dicks/]http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/31/j ... -of-dicks/I don't think that will be on youtube very long. you may have to find your way to the comedy central clip.

Princess foofypants

Hijack this thread

Post by Princess foofypants » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Poor realist. My dad seems to think they are the same age. Dad is 84. Tonight he was asking him about his xperiences in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.

Whatever4

Hijack this thread

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 am

Poor realist. My dad seems to think they are the same age. Dad is 84. Tonight he was asking him about his xperiences in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.Yeah, well... Your dad thinks eggs come from cows.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

TexasFilly

Hijack this thread

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 am

Poor realist. My dad seems to think they are the same age. Dad is 84. Tonight he was asking him about his xperiences in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression. :shock: :shock:

I believe Anita Hill!

realist

Hijack this thread

Post by realist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 am

Poor realist. My dad seems to think they are the same age. Dad is 84. Tonight he was asking him about his xperiences in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.Yeah, well... Your dad thinks eggs come from cows.True. :lol: And yet, if something comes up during our regular Wednesday night dinner conversation such as, oh, what's the smallest republic government in the world (it actually popped up last night... don't ask) he knows the answer. :shock: He also has no clue whatsoever how the internet works and has no understanding at all how my (and Maru's) "magic machines" (iPhones) work and we can obtain the answers to such questions almost instantly to affirm his response. I have to make sure my phone is 100% charged on Wednesdays, as by the time we leave their house to head home it's just about drained. :lol: Yes, he seemed to think I'm his age last night (or perhaps always has) yet I think he still believes Maru is about 16. :P He thinks he's very liberal (and in some ways he is, such as he believes there should be no states in the U.S. and every town/county/etc. should be governed by the feds) yet on some issues he's to the right of Limbaugh. #-o Maru's parents are wonderful people. Her mom is a hoot. But our weekly visits are never dull. \ :D /We could have an entire thread titled "You'll Never Guess What Maru's Dad Said Tonight". =))

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Somerset

Hijack this thread

Post by Somerset » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 am

Poor realist. My dad seems to think they are the same age. Dad is 84. Tonight he was asking him about his xperiences in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.Yeah, well... Your dad thinks eggs come from cows.True. :lol: And yet, if something comes up during our regular Wednesday night dinner conversation such as, oh, what's the smallest republic government in the world (it actually popped up last night... don't ask) he knows the answer. :shock: Is it my adopted home, or is there a full-fledged sovereign nation that's smaller?

Foggy

Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 am

ServInt went down for almost ½ hr. Boo, hiss.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

realist

Hijack this thread

Post by realist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:18 am

And yet, if something comes up during our regular Wednesday night dinner conversation such as, oh, what's the smallest republic government in the world (it actually popped up last night... don't ask) he knows the answer. :shock: Is it my adopted home, or is there a full-fledged sovereign nation that's smaller?[/break1]naurugov.nr/]http://www.naurugov.nr/

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Princess foofypants

Hijack this thread

Post by Princess foofypants » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 am

Poor realist. My dad seems to think they are the same age. Dad is 84. Tonight he was asking him about his xperiences in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.Yeah, well... Your dad thinks eggs come from cows.You should hear him when we discuss how eliminating grains might help him with his digestive difficulties. He gets all excited about it because he has no problem with that. Except he cannot get it into his head that bread, pretzels, beer, pizza etc include grains. I truly believe he thinks we just are suggesting that he not go wander into a wheat field and nosh on some stalks.And its not senility or anything. He has been this way my whole life.

listeme

Hijack this thread

Post by listeme » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:19 am

I truly believe he thinks we just are suggesting that he not go wander into a wheat field and nosh on some stalks.Wait, what? That's not what Stern is going on about??Ah, crap. I am going to have to regroup.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

TexasFilly

Hijack this thread

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:25 am

We've had contractors at our home nearly every weekday since March. They usually don't bring a radio, but if they do, they listen to Tejano music or country. Yesterday, an old white guy was helping my cabinet maker and when I stuck my head in the room, he was listening to...Rush F'ing Limbaugh! Then Hannity. When I told Mr. Filly about it last night, he was disgusted and said he didn't want that filth in his home. I am contemplating asking them not to play it, OTOH, I don't want them sabotaging my cabinets. Any thoughts on how to do this politely?

I believe Anita Hill!

Return to “The Lounge”