Hijack this thread

MsDaisy

Hijack this thread

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 pm

I’m having a total stress attack. Why? I’m not real sure, but tomorrow my house, or, my other house goes on the market for sale, something I’ve wanted for a long time. It’s actually a great house, 6 roomy bedrooms and 4 full baths. Not a fancy house by any means, but a handicapped accessible and functional one with a really great kitchen. I built it together with my mom in 2002 to accommodate my own family as well as my handicapped mother and sister. Both of who have long departed. I’ve been wishing to be rid of that albatross for years, and after 3 months of serious renovations its finally ready! New roof, floors, carpet, kitchen counter tops, deck renovations, paint and a shit load of other stuff and it’s finally ready. All of that on top of a new grandbaby and an invasion of the whole fam damily to dote over the baby (which I actually loved every minute of and just ended yesterday) I feel pretty much like a soggy wet noodle. Please keep your fingers crossed for a quick sale and a good price! {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif And Zeke! When the beast is finally gone, think IMPREZA! WooHoo!
Birfers are toast

ZekeB

Hijack this thread

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 pm

You've had a lot on your mind the past week, MsDaisy. My stomach would probably be in knots. You're doing good. Let me know if you have any questions or want my recommendations. My recommendations are worth what I'd charge you, though.I'd not recommend chasing through the woods during the dark of night in the Impreza with John Barleycorn under the belt and some oddball guy in the car with you.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

listeme

Hijack this thread

Post by listeme » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:18 am

All this flipping and flopping is part of a process. It’s hard to constantly make yourself analyse what you read and see; it’s exhausting and exasperating to be told to “check your privilege” or whatever phrase is the current flavour when it comes to asking people to think about how they consume culture and express ideas.The basic skill to develop, though, is the one that lies at the heart of flipping: asking, “What if?” If I were a woman, would I talk to me at parties? If women told men their complaints were irrelevant, would that attitude be worth worth fighting? If I were writing about a male musician, would I talk about his clothes and his famous exes this much? If I drew Hawkeye in the pose I’m sketching Black Widow in right now, would he look ridiculous?[/break1]com/flip-it-and-reverse-it-how-to-fight-the-gender-wars/15081]http://junkee.com/flip-it-and-reverse-i ... wars/15081
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Tesibria

Hijack this thread

Post by Tesibria » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Some of the behavior towards employees described above would be a cause for employer discipline, if not for a "hostile workplace" complaint or suit. The only time that it is appropriate to yell at an employee is when a piano is about to fall on his or her head.Yes as to employer discipline (it should be and is in some cases, though arguably not enough), but not really as to complaint/lawsuit -- unless the behavior is based on animus towards the person on the basis of a "protected characteristic."

In other words, it is not illegal to be an "equal opportunity jerk" or an "equal opportunity bully." It's just illegal to be a jerk to someone because of that person's sex, orientation, race, religion, etc. Many employers have won hostile workplace suits by proving that X was a jerk to everyone, not just employees who were [insert protected category]. Happens virtually every day.
“Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.”― Tom Stoppard
WYE: Arpaio-Melendres-Seattle Operation Timeline | Sectec Astronomy: Dennis Montgomery Timeline

kate520

Hijack this thread

Post by kate520 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm going to ask a huge favor, as a community member not a mod.

I don't know exactly what's been up with everyone lately, me included...Mercury retrograde? Mars charging?...but we be extra grouchy. I know there are disheartening events everywhere we look now, from Anthony's weiner to Scott Walker. Sometimes your hair catches on fire but it passes, really.

As a favor to me, Miss Pollyannna, would you consider not dashing off the first thing that comes to your mind when you read something you disagree with, even vehemently? Especially when, if someone said that to you you'd be pissed.

If you vehemently disagree, come back after that first surge of irritation has passed and you've marshaled your arguments.

Merci beaucoup.

/mommymode
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Whatever4

Hijack this thread

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored. :((
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Hijack this thread

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored. :((Go paint something!

esseff44

Hijack this thread

Post by esseff44 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored. :((Adopt some chickens. They are not going to let you get bored.

Sterngard Friegen

Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 pm

:sterngard:

Whatever4

Hijack this thread

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Bored. Bored bored bored bored bored. :((Adopt some chickens. They are not going to let you get bored.We live in a condo in a high-rise. No chickens. Nothing to paint. Ellie is bored with ball. Walked around the block on crutches, some concert is going on at Fenway, I think. Sunday evening everything is closed. W2 is on the main computer. Ah well, I'll look through the on-demand. 8>
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Maybenaut

Hijack this thread

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:45 pm

So my husband and I went out picking blackberries last weekend and got eaten alive by chiggers. Now we have red rashes all over our legs that itch like you wouldn't believe. My Thai daughter-in-law (grew up on a farm in Uthai Thani province but now lives nearby) came over today and when she saw our legs she whipped up a traditional Thai remedy -- a poultice made from fresh spinach and lemon juice, spread it on the affected areas, and wrapped it in saran rap. She said it would sting (she was right), but to leave it on for 20 or 30 minutes. She said it would stop itching for a while, and if it starts itching again, just do the poultice thing again two or three times a day, and it ought to clear up in a few days. So far so good -- hasn't started itching yet, and it's been several hours...I love, love, love my daughter-in-law -- she's a great mom, a really good cook, she's very funny, and she's a really good friend. And best of all, she never stops surprising me. :xo

TollandRCR

Hijack this thread

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:51 pm

CNN July 28, 2013 [link]Spanish train driver charged in deadly crash,http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/28/world/eur ... rain-crash[/link]The driver of the train that derailed in northwestern Spain was charged Sunday with 79 counts of homicide by professional recklessness and an undetermined number of counts of causing injury by professional recklessness.At least 79 people died as a result of last week's crash.A court granted the driver, Francisco Jose Garzon, conditional release.His train driver's license was suspended for six months. He must report to court weekly, and his passport was surrendered.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

mimi

Hijack this thread

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am

cross-posted from the reading topic.

Currently about 1/3 through Zealot by Reza Aslan.

Those of strong Christian faith and tender feelings should probably avoid it. It is not an uplifting spiritual narrative, and the author is not the Jesus Lion of Narnia fame. It's an attempt to pare away the hagiography of two millenia and place some historical core of Jesus into the political and religious turbulence of Roman-occupied Judea.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Aslan was interviewed by Fox News and it created quite a stir. And more mocking of Fox.

Fox News to Scholar: Why Would a Muslim Write a Book About Jesus?

By Daniel Politi

|

Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013, at 2:28 PM

It’s got plenty of competition but this may just be the single most cringe-worthy, embarrassing interview broadcast on Fox News. At least in recent memory. Fox News anchor Lauren Green had religious scholar Reza Aslan on her show Friday to talk about Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, his book that has been stirring up some online controversy recently. And right off the bat, Green gets to what is important: “You’re a Muslim, so why did you write a book about the founder of Christianity?” Aslan seemed a little flabbergasted: “Well, to be clear, I am a scholar of religions with four degrees, including one in the New Testament, and fluency in biblical Greek, who has been studying the origins of Christianity for two decades, who also just happens to be a Muslim.”

But Green just wouldn’t let it go: “It still begs the question though, why would you be interested in the founder of Christianity?” Aslan then starts talking to Green slowly, as if she were a child: “Because it’s my job as an academic. I am a professor of religion, including the New Testament. That’s what I do for a living, actually.” But Green insisted, accusing him of failing to “disclose” that he’s a Muslim and at one point asking him about a stupefying claim on whether a Muslim writing a book on Jesus isn’t sort of like a Democrat writing a book on former president Ronald Reagan.

more:

[/break1]slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/07/28/video_fox_news_lauren_green_asks_reza_aslan_why_muslim_would_be_interested.html]http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... ested.html

(No, she doesn’t.) It only gets worse and worse the longer it goes on, culminating with Green accusing Aslan, who increasingly takes the tone of an exasperated parent explaining something obvious to their child, of never disclosing he’s a Muslim. Um, no: “Ma’am, the second page of my book says I’m a Muslim. Every single interview I have ever done on TV or in print says I’m a Muslim.” At no point does Fox News realize the irony of persecuting someone over their religion in a discussion about Jesus, and everyone is now dumber.[/break1]uproxx.com/tv/2013/07/fox-news-hits-a-new-low-while-interviewing-muslim-scholar-reza-aslan-about-jesus/]http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/07/fox-ne ... out-jesus/

I'm unable to watch the video today, but mebbe that's a good thing.

The media reviews of the book have been very good. Amazon has a compilation:

[/break1]amazon.com/Zealot-Life-Times-Jesus-Nazareth/dp/140006922X]http://www.amazon.com/Zealot-Life-Times ... 140006922X

Fox News viewers are making a mess in the reader supplied reviews, but I'd bet none have actually read the book.

Terry Gross interviewed Reza Aslan for Fresh Air. I can't listen right now, but here's the link if anybody is interested:

[/break1]npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&prgDate=07-15-2013]http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/r ... 07-15-2013

Highlands

Hijack this thread

Post by Highlands » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:44 am

I can't reply to posts in [link]this,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1489[/link] thread.Hmmmph. [-(
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

listeme

Hijack this thread

Post by listeme » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:51 am

I can't reply to posts in [link]this,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1489[/link] thread.Hmmmph. [-(Uh oh, me neither.Foggy doesn't like our suggestions maybe :((

Sterngard Friegen

Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:05 pm

'Cuz Fogbow is perfect. No need for any more suggestions.

listeme

Hijack this thread

Post by listeme » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm

'Cuz Fogbow is perfect. No need for any more suggestions.You're probably one of them subsilver 2 people Foggy likes so much.

Foggy

Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Wait, verbie could post in it at 9 a.m. but you can't at ten minutes before noon? :-? Have you tried his computer?Was there an actual suggestion for an improvement to the forum, or were y'all just going to riff on some threadjack or other? ;;)'Cuz I read this thread, if you have an actual suggestion. :hug:
My god, it's full of stars turtles all the way down!

Emma

Hijack this thread

Post by Emma » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:20 pm

The beginning of the end ?[/break1]politico.com/blogs/media/2013/07/cumulus-planning-to-drop-rush-limbaugh-sean-hannity-169371.html]Cumulus planning to drop Rush Limbaugh, Sean HannityIn a major shakeup for the radio industry, Cumulus Media, the second-biggest broadcaster in the country, is planning to drop both Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity from its stations at the end of the year, an industry source told POLITICO on Sunday.Cumulus has decided that it will not renew its contracts with either host, the source said, a move that would remove the two most highly rated conservative talk personalities from more than 40 Cumulus channels in major markets. The decision comes after negotiations between Cumulus and Premiere Networks, the division of Clear Channel that distributes Limbaugh and Hannity's shows, broke down due to disagreements over the cost of the distribution rights, the source said. Cumulus is known to drive a hard bargain on costs, and Clear Channel is known to seek top dollar for big names.As industry insiders caution, Cumulus and Clear Channel have come to the brink before during contract negotiations only to resume talks. But the source told POLITICO that Clear Channel was unlikely to reduce the cost for distribution rights to a level that would satisfy Cumulus.---Mediamatters take on the news: [/break1]org/blog/2013/07/29/report-cumulus-plans-to-drop-rush-limbaugh-from/195101]http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/07/29 ... rom/195101Every quarter for the past year, like clockwork, Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey has hopped on a call with business investors and announces millions in financial losses associated with Rush Limbaugh's show.A few days before the May 2013 investors call, a "source close to" Limbaugh's show attempted to soften the blow by denying that Limbaugh was having any negative effect on advertiser sales and warned that Limbaugh would walk if Cumulus continued to blame him. After announcing $2.4M in quarterly losses, Lew Dickey rebutted the assertion that Limbaugh wasn't hurting ad sales, stating: "The facts are indisputable regarding the impact certain things have had on ad dollars."Cumulus isn't the only radio company reporting financial losses associated with Limbaugh's show either; other radio companies have also reported significant losses directly attributable to either Limbaugh's show or the intensifying advertiser fallout.Noam Pattiz, CEO of Courtside Entertainment, best summarized the industry wide effect, noting that a "tremendous chunk of advertising revenue was wiped out in terms of support for national talk radio programs." Pattiz added that "the movement in talk radio to some degree is moving away from conservative talk radio and into other genres."(more at links)

esseff44

Hijack this thread

Post by esseff44 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 pm

So my husband and I went out picking blackberries last weekend and got eaten alive by chiggers. Now we have red rashes all over our legs that itch like you wouldn't believe. My Thai daughter-in-law (grew up on a farm in Uthai Thani province but now lives nearby) came over today and when she saw our legs she whipped up a traditional Thai remedy -- a poultice made from fresh spinach and lemon juice, spread it on the affected areas, and wrapped it in saran rap. She said it would sting (she was right), but to leave it on for 20 or 30 minutes. She said it would stop itching for a while, and if it starts itching again, just do the poultice thing again two or three times a day, and it ought to clear up in a few days. So far so good -- hasn't started itching yet, and it's been several hours...I love, love, love my daughter-in-law -- she's a great mom, a really good cook, she's very funny, and she's a really good friend. And best of all, she never stops surprising me. :xoThat brings back childhood memories of blackberry picking and any venture into the woods and fields. My mother was particularly sensitive to chiggars. We called them 'red bugs.' I would get them around the waist line. My mother's rule was to try to keep them from getting to the skin in the first place by covering up and taping up any entry points. Then, as soon as we got home, we were to strip and put the clothes into the washing machine and wash the clothes with hot water and do the same to ourselves before they little buggers had a chance to burrow into the hair follicles and inject their irritating saliva which break down the skin so they can feed and drop off. As with any bite, the sooner you can draw out the irritating substance, the less it will itch and the less chance of the bite getting infected. Any kind of drawing plaster helps. The spinach and lemon juice would also have an antibiotic effect. Lemon or lime juice would actually 'cook' the raw skin just like it does with raw fish or seafood to make cerbiche. That's why it would sting a little at the spots they have burrowed into.For some close ups and descriptions, scroll down to the FAQ at the bottom of this webpage. [/break1]domyownpestcontrol.com/chiggers-c-501_503.html]http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/chigg ... 1_503.htmlLife-cycle in more detail:[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae

Highlands

Hijack this thread

Post by Highlands » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Was there an actual suggestion for an improvement to the forum, or were y'all just going to riff on some threadjack or other? ;;)I was going to pontificate on the meaning of life, but since Serenity Purple users are discriminated against here, I'll save my musings for those that appreciate my fine sensibilities. Hmmmph. ?(
Edit: I see that the embargo on SPs has been lifted. Carry on.
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Foggy

Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:38 pm

You're confusing me. Embargo on SPs??

Highlands

Hijack this thread

Post by Highlands » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Serenity Purples

Foggy

Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 pm

I know what SPs are ... how were they discriminated against or embargoed or anything? I've kept SP up-to-date just like all the other styles that have more than three users!
Edit: Just looked: SP has 8 users now!

Return to “The Lounge”