Hijack this thread

Azastan

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Azastan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am

Two days ago I got a call from a friend, who told me that she'd met someone who had a boatload of old horse magazines to get rid of, including Arabian horse magazines. The original recipient of the magazines had just passed away, age 100. Naturally I was interested, so yesterday I went out to the workplace of the person looking to get rid of the magazines. I almost fainted when she opened the hatch of her SUV and started pulling out the magazines.

I still haven't figured out exactly what, or how many she had, but she had literally boxes and boxes of old magazines, including some Arabian breed specific magazines from the early-late 1960s which I'd never seen, a 20 year complete run of a magazine which specializes in a specific sub-category of Arabian (Al Khamsa horses, 'Khamsat' being the magazine, and yes, I own an Al Khamsa mare), what looks to be a complete collection of about 30 year's worth of the show programs for the local big Arabian show, the Daffodil Show, and too many other magazines to be listed.

Now, that probably doesn't sound very interesting to many here, but the fun thing about all this material is that there are handwritten notes in all of the magazines and show programs, including notes on the local Arabian breeders, and her thoughts on the people and horses!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:55 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180965222/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180965025/
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:57 am

Azastan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am
Two days ago I got a call from a friend, who told me that she'd met someone who had a boatload of old horse magazines to get rid of, including Arabian horse magazines. The original recipient of the magazines had just passed away, age 100. Naturally I was interested, so yesterday I went out to the workplace of the person looking to get rid of the magazines. I almost fainted when she opened the hatch of her SUV and started pulling out the magazines.

I still haven't figured out exactly what, or how many she had, but she had literally boxes and boxes of old magazines, including some Arabian breed specific magazines from the early-late 1960s which I'd never seen, a 20 year complete run of a magazine which specializes in a specific sub-category of Arabian (Al Khamsa horses, 'Khamsat' being the magazine, and yes, I own an Al Khamsa mare), what looks to be a complete collection of about 30 year's worth of the show programs for the local big Arabian show, the Daffodil Show, and too many other magazines to be listed.

Now, that probably doesn't sound very interesting to many here, but the fun thing about all this material is that there are handwritten notes in all of the magazines and show programs, including notes on the local Arabian breeders, and her thoughts on the people and horses!
A library on the Arabian Breed! Cooooooooollllllll!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Azastan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am
:snippity:
What a treasure trove for you. I love that kind of stuff. When I inherited all-too-much furniture from great-grandparents and grandparents, I discovered that every shelf in the numerous barrister's bookcases and all the drawers in dressers and desks, etc., were lined with thick layers of newspaper, current at the time, some newspapers over a hundred years old. The furniture I'm storing in hopes of foisting it off on my children, but the newspapers will remain with me. Depressingly, plus ça change...

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 pm

What a treasure trove for you. I love that kind of stuff. When I inherited all-too-much furniture from great-grandparents and grandparents, I discovered that every shelf in the numerous barrister's bookcases and all the drawers in dressers and desks, etc., were lined with thick layers of newspaper, current at the time, some newspapers over a hundred years old. The furniture I'm storing in hopes of foisting it off on my children, but the newspapers will remain with me. Depressingly, plus ça change...
My house was built in 1901, it being the second oldest house up on the hill. If you were to look at the foundation, you can see the original log cabin, and follow the progress of the additions to the house over the years. The attic has hand hewn beams. Much to my delight, over the years someone used to staple their old magazines up along the walls of the attic, for insulation. Old horse magazines, old 'true crime' magazines, etc. I took down the late 1960s Western Horseman magazines to read, but couldn't bring myself to disturb the rest of the insulation!

(There were early 1960s Western Horseman magazines in the loot from yesterday, along with several dozen 'Horse and Rider' magazines. Western Horseman tends to be heavy on Quarter Horses now, but a few decades ago they used to have regular articles on Arabians, thanks to Sheila Varian and Ronteza).

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:43 am

maydijo wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:57 pm
Does anyone else think there are some yuge (and weird) holes in the story of the two women rescued at sea?
Well, this person thinks there are some yuge holes, you betcha.

https://unreasonablydangerousonionrings ... lls-fishy/

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 am

Shamelessly stolen from Facebook
HOW TO START EACH DAY WITH A GREAT OUTLOOK

1) Create a new file on your computer

2) Name the file “Donald Trump”

3) Send it to the waste bin

4) Empty the waste bin

5) Your computer will ask you, “Do you really want to get rid of Donald Trump?”

6) Firmly click “Yes”

Feel better?
If dogs run free, why not we?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 am

Jez wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 am
Rant ahead, so skip if you want

Rant done. I feel better now. Please, go ahead with life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am

It strikes me that, like most people, Sarah could be much more attractive if she'd let go of some hate and allow a little joy into her life.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am
It strikes me that, like most people, Sarah could be much more attractive if she'd let go of some hate and allow a little joy into her life.
I hear her hateful defiance and see beyond physical attributes. This is how I view people. And as I have said before, I really dislike judging people, eve Taitz, on looks and clothing. A vast majority, even here on TFB would judge me unkindly for my clothing and body and face.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:58 am

pipistrelle wrote:
That is, in fact, Sarah's joyful face.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:00 am

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am
pipistrelle wrote:
I hear her hateful defiance and see beyond physical attributes. This is how I view people. And as I have said before, I really dislike judging people, eve Taitz, on looks and clothing. A vast majority, even here on TFB would judge me unkindly for my clothing and body and face.
I'm not judging her on her looks. That's why I said most people. A raving beauty or handsome man would appear ugly when they are full of hate and show it on their face like she does. It's not the physical attributes. It's what's coming out from inside.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am

pipistrelle wrote:
That is what she radiates, rather like a blast furnace. I don't know how you could walk in to a room she was in and not feel it. What I can't figure out is where it came from, the stupid I can understand, she gets that from Daddy who has it in great abundance, the deep seated hate and general nastiness and mean spiritedness I just don't understand though.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am
pipistrelle wrote:
That is what she radiates, rather like a blast furnace. I don't know how you could walk in to a room she was in and not feel it. What I can't figure out is where it came from, the stupid I can understand, she gets that from Daddy who has it in great abundance, the deep seated hate and general nastiness and mean spiritedness I just don't understand though.
I'm sorry I don't have it handy but there was a recent article (Guardian?) about how the Democrats did her family wrong, and how that motivates her.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 am

I'm sorry I don't have it handy but there was a recent article (Guardian?) about how the Democrats did her family wrong, and how that motivates her.
Forgive Others Like God Forgives Us–Jesus gave a wonderful parable on this. In this parable, he shows us how God forgives us for our sins, so we must forgive others who repent to us. If we were forgiven graciously by God ourselves, but do not extend that same forgiveness to others, then we are hypocrites and are undeserving of God’s forgiveness. Here is the parable:

Matt 18:23-35 Therefore the Kingdom of Heaven is like a certain king, who wanted to reconcile accounts with his servants. When he had begun to reconcile, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But because he couldn’t pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, with his wife, his children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down and kneeled before him, saying, ‘Lord, have patience with me, and I will repay you all!’ The lord of that servant, being moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

“But that servant went out, and found one of his fellow servants, who owed him one hundred denarii, and he grabbed him, and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ “So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will repay you!’ He would not, but went and cast him into prison, until he should pay back that which was due. So when his fellow servants saw what was done, they were exceedingly sorry, and came and told to their lord all that was done.

Then his lord called him in, and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt, because you begged me. Shouldn’t you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, even as I had mercy on you?’ His lord was angry, and delivered him to the tormentors, until he should pay all that was due to him. So my heavenly Father will also do to you, if you don’t each forgive your brother from your hearts for his misdeeds.”

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:45 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am
pipistrelle wrote:
While that may possibly be true, although I seriously doubt it, it doesn't excuse/explain her other behaviors and actions.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:45 pm
While that may possibly be true, although I seriously doubt it, it doesn't excuse/explain her other behaviors and actions.
Found it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/so ... story.html
How Sarah Huckabee Sanders sees the world

As a girl, she watched her father, Southern Baptist pastor-turned-GOP-governor Mike Huckabee, sidelined when he entered politics. Arkansas Democrats literally nailed his office door shut.

In the years after, she saw conservative Christians — like her family, like most everyone she knew — ridiculed in American pop culture.

As a young woman, she moved to Washington for a government job, and noticed right away, she says, that people in the nation’s capital care more about your job than who you are. “Certainly not like where I’m from,” she says.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:12 pm

EXCEPT, that cHuckalbee did it all to himself. So the Democrats may have run him out of office, but it was his efforts that made it possible. Self introspection and honesty obviously do not seem to be a family traits. He simply proved his clownhood by getting out on the national stage and opening his mouth and repeatedly inserting both feet up to the knees.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 am
We had just finished building our cabin in Patagonia and I was introducing my pig to the new digs. Yard is still a wet mess from construction. White water river below in the background. I miss those times.
One of those pigs was white. Just washed? I bet that didn’t last long.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:44 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 am
We had just finished building our cabin in Patagonia and I was introducing my pig to the new digs. Yard is still a wet mess from construction. White water river below in the background. I miss those times.
One of those pigs was white. Just washed? I bet that didn’t last long.
z

You are correct. SHe was the clean one. I had not had a shower in two weeks.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:55 pm

My husband's family had a pet pig growing up. Arnold was the runt of the litter so they brought him inside. He grew up thinking he was a dog and slept in my SIL's bed. They finally had to sell him when my SIL had to sleep on the floor because there was no room for her on the bed. (And if you think it's easy telling a fully grown pig to sleep elsewhere, well, let me know how that goes for you.) These days my husband refuses to get any pigs, he says they are much too likeable and it'd ruin bacon forever. We stick to sheep - they aren't terribly likeable, so it's hard to get attached.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:43 am
maydijo wrote:
Does anyone else think there are some yuge (and weird) holes in the story of the two women rescued at sea?

That's a great read isn't it? Did you read the comments? There is some speculation as to why Appel had her hair coloured approximately 4 weeks ago (if you go by the growth of her dark roots.) Also too, I know when I spend a day on our boat, my hair looks and feels gritty and disgusting. Their hair looks perfect.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:43 am
maydijo wrote:

That's a great read isn't it? Did you read the comments? There is some speculation as to why Appel had her hair coloured approximately 4 weeks ago (if you go by the growth of her dark roots.) Also too, I know when I spend a day on our boat, my hair looks and feels gritty and disgusting. Their hair looks perfect.
Natasha apparently claims to have lost 70 pounds, and yet her shorts fit her perfectly (this is based on the video of them being 'rescued'). Losing 70 pounds would have those shorts falling off her.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 pm

If I could lose 70 pounds, I'd be on the boat tomorrow morning!
Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 am

As usual, could use some help/advice.

Here in lovely Ohio, we had some very heavy rain last night. The basement of the house I am in gets a bit of water in heavy rain in the unfinished part. Last night the sump pump failed.

The water is ankle deep. The house owner has already started the damage claim and I will be calling on my stuff that got damaged. Her insurance can send someone out to get the water out of the basement (ServicePro I think).

The sump pump will have to be replaced probably which means calling the plumber.

The basement is where my office was. Where my bedroom was. The work laptop is safe. One desktop computer got water in it. The other one did as well, but it was just a smidge and it didn't touch the electrical components.

I took some pictures of the current state throughout the basement.

Where the advice/help comes in is this:
I've never had to file a home owners or renters claim. I've been lucky. But there is stuff that has been damaged by the standing water. Including an old laptop, a sub-woofer, a small loveseat, and a few other items. I know the first step is to call the insurance guy, who will be in his office later this morning. But how does one set a value on stuff? Or is that something that the insurance guy will do?

I'm trying not to panic, but I'm thinking that my bad luck has followed me and my room mate has become the collateral damage from it.

Just tell me it's going to be okay? Maybe?
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Return to “The Lounge”