Hijack this thread

NMgirl
Posts: 2026
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#22026

Post by NMgirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm
Foggy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am
My high school had my record when I called 6 years later and asked them to send my transcript to Georgetown University. The lady looked at the transcript and said "You'll never get in that school." I fooled her, though.
But was it a transcript, or a record of every time you did something naughty, like all the times you interrupted the teacher to say, "I say, I say, I say boy"?
Maydijo! :lol:



User avatar
tek
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Hijack this thread

#22027

Post by tek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm
Foggy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am
My high school had my record when I called 6 years later and asked them to send my transcript to Georgetown University. The lady looked at the transcript and said "You'll never get in that school." I fooled her, though.
But was it a transcript, or a record of every time you did something naughty, like all the times you interrupted the teacher to say, "I say, I say, I say boy"?
"This teacher is about as sharp as a bowling ball"


Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Hijack this thread

#22028

Post by maydijo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Alas, it wouldn't have been so bad if his teacher wasn't a transgendered black man . . . .



stoppingby
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#22029

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I have become completely obsessed with getting to see Yayoi Kusama's retrospective. Has anyone seen the exhibit? I've included a couple of links where you can see some of it:





It's breaking records everywhere. It's coming to Cleveland next fall, but I'm hearing that tickets have been selling out at other locations. Cleveland's several hours from me, but I'm wondering if getting an annual membership to the museum might help me get a ticket.



User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Hijack this thread

#22030

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm

When you belong to an organization like that, you usually get first dibs. It might help.



User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 13404
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Hijack this thread

#22031

Post by Volkonski » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Our younger daughter the special ed teacher is home this week. Last week one kid threw a chair at another kid and she blocked it. Her hand was injured and is in a sling.

Workman's Comp is paying for her time off.

Our daughter seems unconcerned about it. We are a bit concerned. :?


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 3937
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: Hijack this thread

#22032

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm
Our younger daughter the special ed teacher is home this week. Last week one kid threw a chair at another kid and she blocked it. Her hand was injured and is in a sling.

Workman's Comp is paying for her time off.

Our daughter seems unconcerned about it. We are a bit concerned. :?
Special ed teachers rock. :bighug:



stoppingby
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#22033

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm
Our younger daughter the special ed teacher is home this week. Last week one kid threw a chair at another kid and she blocked it. Her hand was injured and is in a sling.

Workman's Comp is paying for her time off.

Our daughter seems unconcerned about it. We are a bit concerned. :?
Special ed teachers rock. :bighug:
They do the work of angels.



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3509
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

#22034

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm
Our younger daughter the special ed teacher is home this week. Last week one kid threw a chair at another kid and she blocked it. Her hand was injured and is in a sling.

Workman's Comp is paying for her time off.

Our daughter seems unconcerned about it. We are a bit concerned. :?
It is not unusual for some students in special education classes to be violent. The student who threw the chair can be disciplined per his or her Individual Education Plan and his/he Behavior Plan.


“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

NMgirl
Posts: 2026
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#22035

Post by NMgirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm posting this question here because a lot of TFB's legal experts hang out here.

Marcus Mumford, Ammon Bundy's attorney for the Oregon trial, submitted a document that has the following statement:
I also pointed out how the Department of Justice recently filed an ethics complaint against me with the State of Utah and other jurisdictions where I am admitted, including New York, California, and Idaho, which appears to seek a reciprocal effect, in that it references these proceedings.
:?:
Does anybody know if DOJ ethics complaints are in the public record, and if they are, where might one find the complaint against Mumford?



User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 40922
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: Hijack this thread

#22036

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am

Nothing shows up on the California State Bar website.



NMgirl
Posts: 2026
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#22037

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am
Nothing shows up on the California State Bar website.
Thank you.



User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 18980
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#22038

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am

Read a very powerful article in the current Atlantic by Caitlin Flanagan. In this period when powerful men are losing their jobs for sexual assaults, what does Bill Clinton owe the nation?


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 5865
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: Hijack this thread

#22039

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am

Nothing. What he did cannot remotely be termed “sexual assault.”

What he did was consensual adultery (if you define blowjobs as sex, which— duh!— is correct). And then lying about it. That’s it.

Bad, yes, but compared to Trump he was practically a monk, and compared to the Kennedys he was a nebbish.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

User avatar
Patagoniagirl
Posts: 3450
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#22040

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am
Nothing. What he did cannot remotely be termed “sexual assault.”

What he did was consensual adultery (if you define blowjobs as sex, which— duh!— is correct). And then lying about it. That’s it.

Bad, yes, but compared to Trump he was practically a monk, and compared to the Kennedys he was a nebbish.
When a grown man undresses a child, undresses himself, and touches a child and touches her vagina and budding breasts, when he forces her to hold his penis, I think that is sexual assault. If he is a powerful figure or not. It is sexual assault. Trump is a sexual predator, for sure. What is sexual adultery? A vulgar term for what women experience all the time. A toned-down term for the hideous thing we live with our whole lives until we are old and worn out and not worthy of such advances? Even then.



User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: Hijack this thread

#22041

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am
Read a very powerful article in the current Atlantic by Caitlin Flanagan. In this period when powerful men are losing their jobs for sexual assaults, what does Bill Clinton owe the nation?
Nothing. He has been exposed and punished already for his (eventually) admitted dalliance with Lewinsky; his other accusers had significant credibility issues. Not only Bill himself paid the price, but his wife and daughter are paying to this very day, because the right wing conspiracy machine will simply not let go of their Clinton fixation. ETA: And Bill has to live with that on his conscience. He not only smeared the nation's politics, he also caused his wife and daughter to suffer immensely. They couldn't even deal with the hurt privately, but in the relentless glare of the media. Worst of all, it will never go away. It's been hurled at them for the past two decades and will follow them into their graves. Good job, Bill.



User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 18980
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#22042

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks, DejaMoo. You take Bill’s transgressions seriously.

Please read the article. It will “get” you. Flanagan has written on the entitlement and rape culture.


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 5865
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: Hijack this thread

#22043

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 am
RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am
Nothing. What he did cannot remotely be termed “sexual assault.”

What he did was consensual adultery (if you define blowjobs as sex, which— duh!— is correct). And then lying about it. That’s it.

Bad, yes, but compared to Trump he was practically a monk, and compared to the Kennedys he was a nebbish.
When a grown man undresses a child, undresses himself, and touches a child and touches her vagina and budding breasts, when he forces her to hold his penis, I think that is sexual assault. If he is a powerful figure or not. It is sexual assault. Trump is a sexual predator, for sure. What is sexual adultery? A vulgar term for what women experience all the time. A toned-down term for the hideous thing we live with our whole lives until we are old and worn out and not worthy of such advances? Even then.
Umm... I was talking about Bill Clinton. He did none of those things.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 3937
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: Hijack this thread

#22044

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am
Read a very powerful article in the current Atlantic by Caitlin Flanagan. In this period when powerful men are losing their jobs for sexual assaults, what does Bill Clinton owe the nation?
Nothing. He has been exposed and punished already for his (eventually) admitted dalliance with Lewinsky; his other accusers had significant credibility issues. Not only Bill himself paid the price, but his wife and daughter are paying to this very day, because the right wing conspiracy machine will simply not let go of their Clinton fixation. ETA: And Bill has to live with that on his conscience. He not only smeared the nation's politics, he also caused his wife and daughter to suffer immensely. They couldn't even deal with the hurt privately, but in the relentless glare of the media. Worst of all, it will never go away. It's been hurled at them for the past two decades and will follow them into their graves. Good job, Bill.
Personally, I think the worst thing that Bill Clinton did was to go on national TV and essentially call Monica Lewinsky a liar when she was not lying.



NMgirl
Posts: 2026
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#22045

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 am

Remember Mercedes Colwin? The managing partner of Gordon & Rees’s New York office who’s a Fox News talking head went on Sean Hannity’s show last week to tell the world that women who speak out about sexual harassment and assault are usually doing so for money and women who are victims of predators are “very few and far between.”

:snippity:
And when Jordan Weissmann of Slate reached out for comment, she declined to walk back on her assertion that real victims were rare, but claimed to be “sympathetic” to them — whenever they exist.

Now Gordon & Rees has come forward with their statement from Dion Cominos, firmwide managing partner, on the incident. To say they’re trying to distance themselves from one of their partners is an understatement. Here’s the key graph where they call out Colwin’s “very few and far between” claim as inaccurate, turning the phrase against her:

[T]he organization in no way endorses or agrees with any statements which could even remotely be interpreted as minimizing or trivializing the seriousness and gravity of sexual harassment or similarly predatory behaviors, and we renounce them in the strongest possible terms – in fact, contrary to what may have been inferred from what was said during the telecast, the sad reality is that the number of women who likely have not been exposed to such repugnant conduct over the course of their personal or professional lives is, unfortunately, few and far between.

:snippity:
The partner in question has voluntarily stepped down from all management roles within the firm and she is committed to rectifying the hurtful impressions created by her remarks.
"voluntarily." Yeah, right.



User avatar
Jez
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Out there, Somewhere...
Occupation: Thread Killer

Re: Hijack this thread

#22046

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

The basement is dry. The clean up people are here cutting out drywall, hauling away carpeting and setting up fans, etc. And just tested the washer and dryer. Both are dead.

And we are still fighting with the Insurance company. Or at least Ais is. I still haven't heard back from mine about my claim. Going to be calling again in a few minutes.

If things go south and the insurance company will NOT pay for anything, we're pretty well screwed. Hopefully a payment arrangement can be made with the company doing the clean up.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. I might have my bedroom back eventually.


I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 5865
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: Hijack this thread

#22047

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am
DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am
Read a very powerful article in the current Atlantic by Caitlin Flanagan. In this period when powerful men are losing their jobs for sexual assaults, what does Bill Clinton owe the nation?
Nothing. He has been exposed and punished already for his (eventually) admitted dalliance with Lewinsky; his other accusers had significant credibility issues. Not only Bill himself paid the price, but his wife and daughter are paying to this very day, because the right wing conspiracy machine will simply not let go of their Clinton fixation. ETA: And Bill has to live with that on his conscience. He not only smeared the nation's politics, he also caused his wife and daughter to suffer immensely. They couldn't even deal with the hurt privately, but in the relentless glare of the media. Worst of all, it will never go away. It's been hurled at them for the past two decades and will follow them into their graves. Good job, Bill.
Personally, I think the worst thing that Bill Clinton did was to go on national TV and essentially call Monica Lewinsky a liar when she was not lying.
Agreed. That was despicable.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

User avatar
June bug
Posts: 5761
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#22048

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Jez wrote:The basement is dry. The clean up people are here cutting out drywall, hauling away carpeting and setting up fans, etc. And just tested the washer and dryer. Both are dead.

And we are still fighting with the Insurance company. Or at least Ais is. I still haven't heard back from mine about my claim. Going to be calling again in a few minutes.

If things go south and the insurance company will NOT pay for anything, we're pretty well screwed. Hopefully a payment arrangement can be made with the company doing the clean up.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. I might have my bedroom back eventually.
:bighug: One step at a time, Jez. Hang in there! :bighug:



User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 24538
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ (Rawly NC)
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Hijack this thread

#22049

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Look into suing the insurance company in small claims court, Jez. :towel:


If dogs run free, why not we?

User avatar
Flatpointhigh
Posts: 7278
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Hotel California, PH23
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.
Contact:

Re: Hijack this thread

#22050

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41982339
Six Czech tourists who dressed up as Borat have been arrested in Kazakhstan for wearing nothing but mankinis.
The group posed for photos dressed in the revealing swimsuits in the capital city of Astana last week.
Local media reported on Tuesday the tourists were arrested and fined 22,500 Tenge ($67; £51) each for their "indecent" appearances.



"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”