Hijack this thread

NMgirl

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by NMgirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm
Foggy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am
My high school had my record when I called 6 years later and asked them to send my transcript to Georgetown University. The lady looked at the transcript and said "You'll never get in that school." I fooled her, though.
But was it a transcript, or a record of every time you did something naughty, like all the times you interrupted the teacher to say, "I say, I say, I say boy"?
Maydijo! :lol:

tek

Post by tek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm
Foggy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am
My high school had my record when I called 6 years later and asked them to send my transcript to Georgetown University. The lady looked at the transcript and said "You'll never get in that school." I fooled her, though.
But was it a transcript, or a record of every time you did something naughty, like all the times you interrupted the teacher to say, "I say, I say, I say boy"?
"This teacher is about as sharp as a bowling ball"

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Alas, it wouldn't have been so bad if his teacher wasn't a transgendered black man . . . .

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I have become completely obsessed with getting to see Yayoi Kusama's retrospective. Has anyone seen the exhibit? I've included a couple of links where you can see some of it:

It's breaking records everywhere. It's coming to Cleveland next fall, but I'm hearing that tickets have been selling out at other locations. Cleveland's several hours from me, but I'm wondering if getting an annual membership to the museum might help me get a ticket.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm

When you belong to an organization like that, you usually get first dibs. It might help.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Our younger daughter the special ed teacher is home this week. Last week one kid threw a chair at another kid and she blocked it. Her hand was injured and is in a sling.

Workman's Comp is paying for her time off.

Our daughter seems unconcerned about it. We are a bit concerned. :?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm
Our younger daughter the special ed teacher is home this week. Last week one kid threw a chair at another kid and she blocked it. Her hand was injured and is in a sling.

Special ed teachers rock. :bighug:

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm
Volkonski wrote:

Special ed teachers rock. :bighug:
They do the work of angels.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Volkonski wrote:

It is not unusual for some students in special education classes to be violent. The student who threw the chair can be disciplined per his or her Individual Education Plan and his/he Behavior Plan.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm posting this question here because a lot of TFB's legal experts hang out here.

Marcus Mumford, Ammon Bundy's attorney for the Oregon trial, submitted a document that has the following statement:
I also pointed out how the Department of Justice recently filed an ethics complaint against me with the State of Utah and other jurisdictions where I am admitted, including New York, California, and Idaho, which appears to seek a reciprocal effect, in that it references these proceedings.
:?:
Does anybody know if DOJ ethics complaints are in the public record, and if they are, where might one find the complaint against Mumford?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am

Nothing shows up on the California State Bar website.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 am
Nothing shows up on the California State Bar website.
Thank you.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am

Read a very powerful article in the current Atlantic by Caitlin Flanagan. In this period when powerful men are losing their jobs for sexual assaults, what does Bill Clinton owe the nation?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am

Nothing. What he did cannot remotely be termed “sexual assault.”

What he did was consensual adultery (if you define blowjobs as sex, which— duh!— is correct). And then lying about it. That’s it.

Bad, yes, but compared to Trump he was practically a monk, and compared to the Kennedys he was a nebbish.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am

What he did was consensual adultery (if you define blowjobs as sex, which— duh!— is correct). And then lying about it. That’s it.

Bad, yes, but compared to Trump he was practically a monk, and compared to the Kennedys he was a nebbish.
When a grown man undresses a child, undresses himself, and touches a child and touches her vagina and budding breasts, when he forces her to hold his penis, I think that is sexual assault. If he is a powerful figure or not. It is sexual assault. Trump is a sexual predator, for sure. What is sexual adultery? A vulgar term for what women experience all the time. A toned-down term for the hideous thing we live with our whole lives until we are old and worn out and not worthy of such advances? Even then.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 am
Read a very powerful article in the current Atlantic by Caitlin Flanagan. In this period when powerful men are losing their jobs for sexual assaults, what does Bill Clinton owe the nation?
Nothing. He has been exposed and punished already for his (eventually) admitted dalliance with Lewinsky; his other accusers had significant credibility issues. Not only Bill himself paid the price, but his wife and daughter are paying to this very day, because the right wing conspiracy machine will simply not let go of their Clinton fixation. ETA: And Bill has to live with that on his conscience. He not only smeared the nation's politics, he also caused his wife and daughter to suffer immensely. They couldn't even deal with the hurt privately, but in the relentless glare of the media. Worst of all, it will never go away. It's been hurled at them for the past two decades and will follow them into their graves. Good job, Bill.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks, DejaMoo. You take Bill’s transgressions seriously.

Please read the article. It will “get” you. Flanagan has written on the entitlement and rape culture.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 am
RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am

When a grown man undresses a child, undresses himself, and touches a child and touches her vagina and budding breasts, when he forces her to hold his penis, I think that is sexual assault. If he is a powerful figure or not. It is sexual assault. Trump is a sexual predator, for sure. What is sexual adultery? A vulgar term for what women experience all the time. A toned-down term for the hideous thing we live with our whole lives until we are old and worn out and not worthy of such advances? Even then.
Umm... I was talking about Bill Clinton. He did none of those things.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Nothing. He has been exposed and punished already for his (eventually) admitted dalliance with Lewinsky; his other accusers had significant credibility issues. Not only Bill himself paid the price, but his wife and daughter are paying to this very day, because the right wing conspiracy machine will simply not let go of their Clinton fixation. ETA: And Bill has to live with that on his conscience. He not only smeared the nation's politics, he also caused his wife and daughter to suffer immensely. They couldn't even deal with the hurt privately, but in the relentless glare of the media. Worst of all, it will never go away. It's been hurled at them for the past two decades and will follow them into their graves. Good job, Bill.
Personally, I think the worst thing that Bill Clinton did was to go on national TV and essentially call Monica Lewinsky a liar when she was not lying.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 am

Remember Mercedes Colwin? The managing partner of Gordon & Rees’s New York office who’s a Fox News talking head went on Sean Hannity’s show last week to tell the world that women who speak out about sexual harassment and assault are usually doing so for money and women who are victims of predators are “very few and far between.”

:snippity:
And when Jordan Weissmann of Slate reached out for comment, she declined to walk back on her assertion that real victims were rare, but claimed to be “sympathetic” to them — whenever they exist.

Now Gordon & Rees has come forward with their statement from Dion Cominos, firmwide managing partner, on the incident. To say they’re trying to distance themselves from one of their partners is an understatement. Here’s the key graph where they call out Colwin’s “very few and far between” claim as inaccurate, turning the phrase against her:

[T]he organization in no way endorses or agrees with any statements which could even remotely be interpreted as minimizing or trivializing the seriousness and gravity of sexual harassment or similarly predatory behaviors, and we renounce them in the strongest possible terms – in fact, contrary to what may have been inferred from what was said during the telecast, the sad reality is that the number of women who likely have not been exposed to such repugnant conduct over the course of their personal or professional lives is, unfortunately, few and far between.

:snippity:
The partner in question has voluntarily stepped down from all management roles within the firm and she is committed to rectifying the hurtful impressions created by her remarks.
"voluntarily." Yeah, right.

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

The basement is dry. The clean up people are here cutting out drywall, hauling away carpeting and setting up fans, etc. And just tested the washer and dryer. Both are dead.

And we are still fighting with the Insurance company. Or at least Ais is. I still haven't heard back from mine about my claim. Going to be calling again in a few minutes.

If things go south and the insurance company will NOT pay for anything, we're pretty well screwed. Hopefully a payment arrangement can be made with the company doing the clean up.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. I might have my bedroom back eventually.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am
DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Personally, I think the worst thing that Bill Clinton did was to go on national TV and essentially call Monica Lewinsky a liar when she was not lying.
Agreed. That was despicable.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Jez wrote:The basement is dry. The clean up people are here cutting out drywall, hauling away carpeting and setting up fans, etc. And just tested the washer and dryer. Both are dead.

And we are still fighting with the Insurance company. Or at least Ais is. I still haven't heard back from mine about my claim. Going to be calling again in a few minutes.

If things go south and the insurance company will NOT pay for anything, we're pretty well screwed. Hopefully a payment arrangement can be made with the company doing the clean up.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. I might have my bedroom back eventually.
:bighug: One step at a time, Jez. Hang in there! :bighug:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Look into suing the insurance company in small claims court, Jez. :towel:

If dogs run free, why not we?

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41982339
Six Czech tourists who dressed up as Borat have been arrested in Kazakhstan for wearing nothing but mankinis.
The group posed for photos dressed in the revealing swimsuits in the capital city of Astana last week.
Local media reported on Tuesday the tourists were arrested and fined 22,500 Tenge ($67; £51) each for their "indecent" appearances.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Return to “The Lounge”