Hijack this thread

MRich

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by MRich » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm
Fuck, fuck, fuckity, fuck, fuck.

I've got a true Halloween emergency. The trick or treating is all done and I still have over half of the second (big) bag of candy left (I was giving out handfuls all night, too. also). My new feline overlord (who otherwise seems to be adjusting after a stressful day and a traumatic couple of months) is completely useless at helping with this endeavor.

Whatever shall I do?
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
I volunteer for our local Meals on Wheels - people bring us their leftover candy and we add it to the meals(for the non-diabetics).

According to my 87 year old Dad, old people love candy.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah, I have loved candy a little too (not also) much over the course of my life.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

vic

Post by vic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 pm

If you're looking for the TARDIS, it seems UPS has it. I placed an order on costco.com yesterday, and I received an email from them a few minutes ago that it has been shipped. Here's the tracking information at UPS.com:
Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 6.50.58 PM.png
Shipped October 31, 2017, and delivered December 19, 2016, just over 10 months ago.

OK, I'm sure that this is due to UPS re-using tracking numbers. But you'd think that when they re-use a number, they'd remove the old tracking status.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 pm

Damn, it's going to be hard to claim that package! My 8 year old is working on a time machine, I'll let you know when he's got it finished so you can pick up your parcel.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 pm
Damn, it's going to be hard to claim that package! My 8 year old is working on a time machine, I'll let you know when he's got it finished so you can pick up your parcel.
Yeah, but he or she probly started on it at age 47.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 pm
maydijo wrote:
Interesting. In which case the time machine is already operational, and 8 year old son is in cahoots with 47 year old son to take over the world. Mwhahahahaha! Kneel before the mother of your Lord and Overseer!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:11 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 pm
maydijo wrote:
Interesting. In which case the time machine is already operational, and 8 year old son is in cahoots with 47 year old son to take over the world. Mwhahahahaha! Kneel before the mother of your Lord and Overseer!
I love this place! :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:26 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sorry, but a mere time machine won't do. It's got to be a TARDIS - that Relative Dimension in Space part is essential, since Rancho Mirage is 150 miles from me.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:06 pm
Slartibartfast wrote:

I've got a true Halloween emergency. The trick or treating is all done and I still have over half of the second (big) bag of candy left (I was giving out handfuls all night, too. also). My new feline overlord (who otherwise seems to be adjusting after a stressful day and a traumatic couple of months) is completely useless at helping with this endeavor.

Whatever shall I do?
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
I use leftover Halloween candy as stocking stuffers, Easter basket fillers, or save it up for future birthday parties for my kids. If you don't have children living at home, you can always go to the park and offer it to children there. Parents absolutely love it when strange men approach their kids and offer them candy. For added fun and absolutely no added ickiness factor, make sure you make the kids reach into your pocket to get it out.
And drive over there in a van.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 pm

I have officially moved from the digs from hell.. the Hell will bill me.. sigh.. inadequate waste removal space.. I am fine with it..I am free...Now I can go back to work to recover.. this move has been hellish but I have lived there 12 years in a rundown apartment. It was cost effective while I put my daughter through University of Washington.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:01 am

vic wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:26 pm
maydijo wrote:
Sorry, but a mere time machine won't do. It's got to be a TARDIS - that Relative Dimension in Space part is essential, since Rancho Mirage is 150 miles from me.
You could rent a car. Or steal one and then come back in time before the police catch you.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 pm
maydijo wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Whatever shall I do?
I use leftover Halloween candy as stocking stuffers, Easter basket fillers, or save it up for future birthday parties for my kids. If you don't have children living at home, you can always go to the park and offer it to children there. Parents absolutely love it when strange men approach their kids and offer them candy. i For added fun and absolutely no added ickiness factor, make sure you make the kids reach into your pocket to get it out.
And drive over there in a van.
Preferably a van without windows in the back. Also take some puppies with you so you can ask the kids if they want to go back to the van with you and play with your puppies. The parents will totally welcome the free babysitting.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
maydijo wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Whatever shall I do?
I use leftover Halloween candy as stocking stuffers, Easter basket fillers, or save it up for future birthday parties for my kids. If you don't have children living at home, you can always go to the park and offer it to children there. Parents absolutely love it when strange men approach their kids and offer them candy. For added fun and absolutely no added ickiness factor, make sure you make the kids reach into your pocket to get it out.
And drive over there in a white panel van.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

vic

Post by vic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 am

maydijo wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:01 am
vic wrote:
maydijo wrote:
You could rent a car. Or steal one and then come back in time before the police catch you.
I should have known you'd have a solution. You're always ahead of me.
► Show Spoiler

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 am

kate520 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
maydijo wrote:

And drive over there in a white panel van.
Meh. I don't like vans nor do Alice* and I have time to spare from our plots for world domination. I guess I'll just have to eat it.

* My new feline overlord.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 am

Ask Alice, I think she’ll know.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 am

BTW, go Dodgers.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:33 am

kate520 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 am
Ask Alice, I think she’ll know.
What's that? I was just *inhaling sound* doing something the dormouse suggested.

*COUGH*

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:02 am

I think I'm a bad influence on you all. On the other hand, my son will soon be your lord and overseer, so I think I can get away with it. Just as long as I don't make him eat his vegetables.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 am

Lunaluz wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 pm
I have officially moved from the digs from hell.. the Hell will bill me.. sigh.. inadequate waste removal space.. I am fine with it..I am free...Now I can go back to work to recover.. this move has been hellish but I have lived there 12 years in a rundown apartment. It was cost effective while I put my daughter through University of Washington.
Congratulations, Lunaluz!!

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 am

vic wrote:
maydijo wrote:
That can possibly be solved with the time part. If a vehicle were to travel in time only it would presumably remain in the same location in an inertial frame of reference (that is, one that is stationary or moving at constant translational velocity). Our planet is not an inertial frame because orbiting a larger body requires continuous radial acceleration. So, adopting the sun as a reference (which it's not, because it's under the gravitational influence of our galaxy, which is in turn affected by the local group... but, hey, let's be realistic!), if you time-traveled for 6 months you would find the earth had moved to the far side of the sun and you'd be 180 million miles away from the nearest Denny's.

But the corollary is that maybe you can exploit that. The earth's surface moves at several hundred miles per hour (depending on latitude) as it spins on its own acis. If you start due east or west of your destination you could time your arrival so your destination is under you when you arrive (although it might be a bumpy landing... or an unpleasant interment).

That's all very Newtonian; relativistically who knows? It's all very wibbly-wobbly with the timey-wimey stuff. Hmm... I wonder whether the R for "relative" refers to fancy physics? - I simply assumed at a young age that it was a reference to the TARDIS being smaller on the outside (size is relative, y'know) but relativity would be a better fit.

That's why Foggy doesn't let just anybody take his TARDIS - tricky friend, time travel.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:09 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 am
... if you time-traveled for 6 months you would find the earth had moved to the far side of the sun and you'd be 180 million miles away from the nearest Denny's.
... with the Sun between you and your Moons Over My Hammy. Your noms might could get burneded!

However, I have assigned Slarti to integrate the TARDIS with what3words, after he solves the leftover candy problem and settles in with his kitteh overlord. Good idea to keep him bizzy anyway .. idle hands are the devil's workshop and all. :blink:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am

No such thing as leftover candy.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am
No such thing as leftover candy.
I bought a little extra candy, hoping there might be some left over. I went out to play music, and when I got back, all the candy was GONE! We don't have that many trick-or-treaters. My husband had already gone to bed so I couldn't ask him what he did with it. I suspect he either gave it all to the last kid, or threw it in the trash. He knows me well.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 am

Before I retired I brought unneeded Halloween candy into my secretary who kept a candy bowl on her desk. It would soon be eaten by my coworkers. :)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The Lounge”