Hijack this thread

MN-Skeptic

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:30 pm

I stopped working in '99. My husband retired July 2016. Cobra runs out at the end on Jan 2018. I'm 1½ years older than my husband so he won't get Medicare until 2019. Instead he signed up for an ACA plan beginning 1/1/2018.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm
I wish I knew better how all this works. I turn 65 in December so I signed up for Medicare and a Blue Cross Cost plan in November. I've got my Medicare card and letters from Medicare and Blue Cross saying that I'm accepted. I just haven't paid anything to them yet. I'm not collecting Social Security yet so I'll have to pay my own Part B. I imagine I'll get bills from Medicare and Blue Cross soon. Right?
I can only respond to the Medicare part, but you will get bills directly from them. I strongly urge you to arrange automatic payments from your bank account. They changed their policy of quarterly billing to monthly a few years ago. It's much easier to not have to worry about getting your payment to them on time.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

I was out this evening and a friend gave me a bottle of spirits, gin distilled in Scotland. Never heard of this brand, and I am not a gin drinker usually.

So I go to look up this company on the innertubes and get quite a surprise. Enjoy their website

Hendrick's Gin

PS. I am not associated with this maker of spiritual inspiration.

PPS. I wonder if they trusted their concoction and tasted it while building the site :lol:

PPPS. The bottle is still in pristine condition, I cannot make any product review yet ;)

PPPPS. a Wikipedia entry without all the flowery stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrick%27s_Gin

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:22 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm
I wish I knew better how all this works. I turn 65 in December so I signed up for Medicare and a Blue Cross Cost plan in November. I've got my Medicare card and letters from Medicare and Blue Cross saying that I'm accepted. I just haven't paid anything to them yet. I'm not collecting Social Security yet so I'll have to pay my own Part B. I imagine I'll get bills from Medicare and Blue Cross soon. Right?
You will get bills unless you arranged for automatic deductions from your bank account.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:25 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 am
You get to buy Medicare for your birthday.
Oh joy. :yawn:

Actually, it will be slightly more expensive than ACA. And it won't cover my boys, who will need separate health insurance for the first time since ACA went into effect.

And I'm NOT OLD. I want to make that very, very clear. :lol:
I am NOT OLD either!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 am

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:25 am
Foggy wrote:
I am NOT OLD either!
Honest to goodness, when I was a child, 65 was OLD. All those old folks liked old music and old clothes and, most of all, thought old thoughts.

But now that I'm turning 65, my mind doesn't feel any different than I was in my 20s. How can this be? I still like bright colors and rock 'n roll and new gadgets. I LOVE new gadgets.

Sigh.

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 am
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:25 am
Foggy wrote:
I am NOT OLD either!
Honest to goodness, when I was a child, 65 was OLD. All those old folks liked old music and old clothes and, most of all, thought old thoughts.

But now that I'm turning 65, my mind doesn't feel any different than I was in my 20s. How can this be? I still like bright colors and rock 'n roll and new gadgets. I LOVE new gadgets.

Sigh.
My dad is in his 70s and always has been and always will be a gadget guy. He bought a TI 99/4a around 1978 so he could print out his papers/letters, etc. Bought a desktop in 1984 for the same reasons. Mostly because his handwriting is atrocious. I haven't been able to get him into gaming, but he does pretty darn good with his computer and with his smart phone. He's more likely to text me something than call. Which I actually prefer.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 am

My mind is 20 too, also. My body, however, has succumbed to a degree to fibromyalgia and gravity, dammit! As one 80+ year old said when seen dancing, "It may not look like much on the outside, but on the inside I'm tearing it up!"
So we must keep up the resistance and overcome gravity and disease daily. :thumbs:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:05 am

And kids still get yelled at for walking on lawns, just like when I was young.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:31 am

Oh yeah, after my birthday I'm gonna yell at all the kids playing on lawns. Even the ones playing on somebody else's lawns. :cussing:

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 am

:sterngard:

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Well, the insurance adjuster just left. My claim was denied. If I would have had a BUSD endorsement, it would have been covered. Dawn is checking to see if she has that endorsement on her home owner's, but she probably doesn't.

So, next steps I guess. Need to figure them out since I don't have to take photos or send any pictures in anymore.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:31 am
Oh yeah, after my birthday I'm gonna yell at all the kids playing on lawns. Even the ones playing on somebody else's lawns. :cussing:
If you're like my hubby, you'll probably yell,"You kids have FUN! I wish I was your age!" :blink:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:55 pm

One of the first tests of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's fairy-tale romance? A daunting British citizenship exam for Ms. Markle, who must learn numerous facts — some odd, some arcane — about the United Kingdom.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -test.html
It’s not exactly “The Knowledge,” the punishing test for aspiring drivers of London’s iconic black cabs. But Meghan Markle, Prince Harry’s fiancée, must master a difficult quiz of her own: the British citizenship test.
Thousands take the quiz each year, and many fail miserably.

Michael Odell, the author of “The ‘Call Yourself British?’ Quiz Book,” says a 2009 report showed that Australians were the best at taking the quiz (98 percent pass rate), Nigerians did extremely well, (82.5 percent pass rate), but residents of the Christmas Islands in the Pacific fared the worst (100 percent failure rate).

The hope is that Ms. Markle does better than the time she took an informal test on Britishness for the comedy channel Dave and left Britons aghast. She failed to identify brands of ale like Hoptimus Prime and mistook Little Trouser for a real place in Britain.
I passed their sample test on the first try. :-D Always new that knowing the exact duration of The Hundred Years' War might come in handy. ;) If it weren't for Brexit I might move to the UK.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm

I was out this evening and a friend gave me a bottle of spirits, gin distilled in Scotland. Never heard of this brand, and I am not a gin drinker usually.

So I go to look up this company on the innertubes and get quite a surprise. Enjoy their website

Hendrick's Gin

PS. I am not associated with this maker of spiritual inspiration.

PPS. I wonder if they trusted their concoction and tasted it while building the site :lol:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:25 pm

SMS 25 years of text messaging

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Amongst all the other presents Santa is bringing this year, he's also giving the kids bean bag chairs. I decided to fill them today to give me one less thing to do on Christmas Eve. I'm going to have nightmares about those little pellets for weeks to come. I'm generally pretty handy with these things. Ikea furniture? A swingset? A bicycle? No problem. But a bean bag chair? This is almost as bad as that time I replaced a bit in the toilet and thought, Eh, it's only a two minute job, there's really no point shutting off the water . . .

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 am

maydijo wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm
Amongst all the other presents Santa is bringing this year, he's also giving the kids bean bag chairs. I decided to fill them today to give me one less thing to do on Christmas Eve. I'm going to have nightmares about those little pellets for weeks to come. I'm generally pretty handy with these things. Ikea furniture? A swingset? A bicycle? No problem. But a bean bag chair? This is almost as bad as that time I replaced a bit in the toilet and thought, Eh, it's only a two minute job, there's really no point shutting off the water . . .
Had to laugh at this. Like an idiot, I decided to make funky chicken pin cushions as party favors for my quilt group's Christmas meal. Two dozen of them! They are filled with lizard litter, about a cup per chicken, and it takes longer to fill them than it does to make them. I now have crumbs of crushed walnut shells in my car, in my studio, in my husband's recliner, on the dining room table....pretty much every place I have even thought about the damn things. I'm pretty sure they'll show up back here on my computer now that I've mentioned them. Worse than glitter and sequins.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:02 pm

What is up his sleeve?

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Sadly, appears to be true.
Edit: Sorry, this one has to be clicked to "get it"

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Like this:
RVInit wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm
Sadly, appears to be true.
Edit: Sorry, this one has to be clicked to "get it"

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:02 pm
What is up his sleeve?

https:// twitter.com/seanhannity/status/937481959177183233
Sean Hannity @seanhannity
To all my deplorable friends. Tick tock. Tomorrow!!
01:41 - 4 Dec 2017
:confused: Don't tell me he is leaving Faux News :silenced: :shh: :pray:

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Watch this zen owl let his rescuer cradle him after he’s freed from a Duluth coffee roaster
DULUTH, Minn. – When an Alakef Coffee Roasters employee called Wednesday to say they had found an owl stuck in a coffee machine, Wildwoods Wildlife Rehabilitation thought it was a joke at first.

And in fact an owl was far from Alakef employee Ezra Bennett’s mind when he went to investigate a strange noise he was hearing from within a piece of equipment at the Duluth business that day.

But when Bennett opened the door to the machine’s cooling system, a startled snowy owl was looking back at him.
Hit the link to see the video. Guy stuck his head inside the roaster while grabbing the owl and pulling her out. He's a brave man to put his eyes within striking distance of a frightened raptor.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm

He did put burlap in first, but that was really cool!

Thanks for posting.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:43 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm
RVInit wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:02 pm
What is up his sleeve?

https:// twitter.com/seanhannity/status/937481959177183233
Sean Hannity @seanhannity
To all my deplorable friends. Tick tock. Tomorrow!!
01:41 - 4 Dec 2017
:confused: Don't tell me he is leaving Faux News :silenced: :shh: :pray:
There was a recent comment or article showing that Hannity leads the pack as a promulgator of conspiracy theories. Therefore, I expect he'll have a new one to spring on his audience today. And, of course, it'll be about a Democrat or multiple Democrats.

Return to “The Lounge”