Hijack this thread

NMgirl

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 am

Jez wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am
NMgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
Will Sommer did a very amusing tweet thread on the long history of James O'keefe's epic failures, which made me ponder whether O'keefe should have a dedicated thread on TFB: https://twitter.com/willsommer

O'keefe appears to join the ranks of Orly in his cosmic and comic ineptness. (ACORN, though, still gets under my skin.) O'keefe pays himself over $300k a year. From whence comes the money? His paymasters have very low standards. trump is one of them.
Jimmy-boy has one.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2424
Ah. I should have known. TFB is everywhere, in all the deep and dark nooks and crannies of the bad, the ugly and the crazy.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Lani wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 am
Not sure where to post this, so I'll just plunk it here. I posted elsewhere awhile back about considering a dna test to trace my mom's heritage, but talked with my kiddo about it. Both of us were uncomfortable with about how our dna could be used against us in the future.

Senator calls for more scrutiny of home DNA test industry

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... ry-n824031
"These are the kits where you swab your cheek or maybe spit into a little vial send it back to a company and in return they're unravel your DNA," Schumer, the Senate Democratic leader, said at a news conference Sunday morning.

Schumer cited the rising popularity of home genetic kits and ancestry services, such as Ancestry, 23andMe and MyHeritage, and said some of their terms-of-service agreements weren't clear on just what companies could do with your genetic information.

'Not fair and not right': Schumer condemns home DNA test companies selling information

"Here's what many consumers don't realize, that their sensitive information can end up in the hands of unknown third-party companies," he said. "There are no prohibitions, and many companies say that they can still sell your information to other companies."
I would like to have this done, too, but my understanding now is that when they use your DNA to trace background, they own that DNA and can do anything they want with it. I don't like that at all. And I read that when a person's background is that all ancestors back several generations are from the same country, it's used as a exemplar to measure others against. All my grandparents are from Hungary, so that would put me in that group. I guess I will pass, unless something drastically changes in the law. I'll be content with having gone to Hungary and having met relatives that I didn't even know existed, which is not anything I would have dreamed of happening to me.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:44 am
Well, that was interesting. :) the Mr and I went to see Reza Aslan speak as part of the book tour for his new book, God. Vromans, an indie bookstore in Pasadena, loves to host local authors, but their room is too small and he’s a popular speaker so the event was held at All Saints Church*. The Church was full. Along with our tickets we got a signed copy of his book.

Which was good, because instead of talking about the book, he went on a 45 minute rant against Trump. Because it’s Reza, it featured white evangelicals (did you know they went from the group in 2015 most likely to say of politicians “character counts a lot” to, in 2016, the group least likely to say “character counts”?); Trump as their Jim Jones; the prosperity gospel**; Trump’s wealth; and Trump true believers’ cult behavior. It was righteous and awesome and nobody really seemed to mind he didn’t talk about the book.

He urged us to oppose in any way we can.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Sai ... estigation

**Paula Jones - even Drumpf’s spiritual advisor is smokin’ hot. How revolting.
About a year ago, we went to hear Neil Degrasse Tyson speak. It wasn't a book signing, but a paid (expensive) event and worth every penny. I figured there really wasn't anyone else in the world I'd like more to hear speak than Tyson. Reza would be pretty high up there, too.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm

He is high on my list of people with whom I’d love to have dinner.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Can this possibly be for real?

Matthew Pearce, LA Times tweeted:
The couple in the NYT Nazi article apparently have gotten fired and their supporters are crowdfunding for them on "Goyfundme."
https://goyfundme.com/projects/hovater-support-fund/

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Navratilova. Martina Navratilova. That's who I want to have dinner with. :prettyplease:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm

The couple in the NYT Nazi article apparently have gotten fired and their supporters are crowdfunding for them on "Goyfundme."
I went to the page. They're only trying to raise $1000 (and claim to have already raised more than that.) For people who have lost their jobs and livelihoods, that's not going to go far.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm
NMgirl wrote:

I went to the page. They're only trying to raise $1000 (and claim to have already raised more than that.) For people who have lost their jobs and livelihoods, that's not going to go far.
It's the goyfundme part that seems so ... weird.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 pm
maydijo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm
NMgirl wrote:

It's the goyfundme part that seems so ... weird.
Oh yeah. It's obviously meant to be offensive. No idea if it's real or just for lolz. But these people go out of their way to be offensive.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 am

How to lay concrete blocks. The reversal, neat!

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:41 am

Goyfundme
About

Goyfundme is an open crowdfunding platform dedicated to the principles of liberty and freedom of speech. We believe that all people have the right to support and promote causes that are important to them without worrying about censorship from anyone.

We offer our users a crowdfunding experience free from political or social censorship. This means that we will not shut down a project simply because it is unpopular, controversial, politically incorrect, or because we receive complaints about the person and/or group that created it.

As long as your project is legal and falls within the scope of our Community Guidelines, you can rest assured that it will remain active on our site until it meets its funding goal or until you, the creator, closes the project.
https://goyfundme.com/about-us/
Our Fees

The Goyfundme fee is 10%.

We aren’t trying to get rich off of anyone. While having a little extra income in exchange for our effort is great, we believe that our creators should get the vast majority of the donations that their donors so graciously give.

Goyfundme only charges a 10% fee when donors use their credit or debit cards to make a donation. If donors use PayPal, their donation is sent to the Goyfundme merchant PayPal account and held there until the funds are requested from the project creator. When funds are requested, the entire amount owed minus the 10% fee will be sent to the creator’s PayPal account.

Credit/Debit cards and Bitcoin are the two primary payment gateways that Goyfundme uses. Our Credit/Debit card processor charges 2.9% + .30 cents per donation. Thus, the fee structure is: 10% + (2.9% + .30 per donation) = 12.9% + .30 cents per donation.
https://goyfundme.com/our-fees/

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:03 am

My, what fine people they are.

The most funded by far is the campaign to translate and publish 4 works by Julius Evola ((1898–1974). Two are:
The Bow and the Club — This rich collection of essays from Evola’s final period covers wide and fertile ground in the fields of culture and politics. From spiritual initiation to the questions of race and homosexuality, from modernity to the Tradition, from a ruthless critique of contemporary vulgarity to the investigation of the glory of the past, the topics treated are both exceptionally relevant to our times and of transcendent value in themselves.

The Myth of the Blood — A magisterial overview of the problem of human races, The Myth of the Blood follows the development of the concept of race from antiquity to modern times. Working from historical, mythical, scientific, and philosophical perspectives, the author confronts a notoriously difficult issue with a most uncommon mixture of fearlessness, fairness, and erudition.
Wikipedia describes him as:
According to the scholar Franco Ferraresi, "Evola's thought can be considered one of the most radical and consistent anti-egalitarian, anti-liberal, anti-democratic, and anti-popular systems in the twentieth century. It is a singular (though not necessarily original) blend of several schools and traditions, including German idealism, Eastern doctrines, traditionalism, and the all-embracing Weltanschauung of the interwar Conservative revolutionary movement with which Evola had a deep personal involvement".

Evola is popular in fringe circles, largely because of his extreme metaphysical ideas (including belief in ghosts and telepathy) and his extreme traditionalism, nationalism, and misogyny. Many of Evola's theories and writings were centered on his idiosyncratic mysticism, occultism, and esoteric religious studies, and this aspect of his work has influenced occultists and esotericists. Evola also advocated rape (among other forms of male domination of women) because he saw it "as a natural expression of male desire". This misogynistic outlook stemmed from his extreme right views on gender roles, which demanded absolute submission from women.

Historian Aaron Gillette described Evola as "one of the most influential fascist racists in Italian history". He admired SS head Heinrich Himmler, whom he once met. Evola spent World War II working for the Sicherheitsdienst. During his trial in 1951, Evola denied being a fascist and instead referred to himself as a "superfascist". Concerning this statement, historian Elisabetta Cassina Wolff wrote that "It is unclear whether this meant that Evola was placing himself above or beyond Fascism".

Evola was the "chief ideologue" of Italy's terrorist radical right after World War II. He continues to influence contemporary neo-fascist movements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Evola

Most troubling:
Donald Trump's former chief adviser Steve Bannon noted Evola's influence on the Eurasianism movement; In addition, in Joshua Green's Devil's Bargain, it was said that Evola's book Revolt Against the Modern World had initially drawn Bannon's interest to the ideas of the Traditionalist School. Accordingly, he has been praised by Alt-right leader Richard B. Spencer, who said “it means a tremendous amount” that Bannon is aware of Evola. Some members of the Alt-right have expressed hope that Bannon might be open to Evola's ideas, and that through Bannon, Evola’s ideas can express influence in a possible period of crisis.
For more reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/worl ... scism.html

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 pm

According to court documents, Armstrong began making complaints in January 2016 to BLM officials about the bureau’s decision to deny him permits to mine on public lands. On Jan. 11, 2017, he made two phone calls to government officials threatening to kill BLM employees. 

“We should just go out and kill these sons of bitches. Honestly, I have half a mind to walk down there and mess them up right now,” he said in the first phone call.

In his second call that day, Armstrong called a BLM official in Fairbanks and said, “Don’t think for a second that if we don’t get this resolved that I won’t pick up arms. I will pick up arms, and I will kill you guys. That’s not a threat.
:roll: :roll: :roll: If that is not a threat I don't know what would be.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm

And the Bundys, who recruited hundreds of people using false and edited videos and encouraging them to bring guns and stating that they will do "whatever it takes" are likely going to walk. SMDFH

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 pm

According to court documents, Armstrong began making complaints in January 2016 to BLM officials about the bureau’s decision to deny him permits to mine on public lands. On Jan. 11, 2017, he made two phone calls to government officials threatening to kill BLM employees. 

“We should just go out and kill these sons of bitches. Honestly, I have half a mind to walk down there and mess them up right now,” he said in the first phone call.

In his second call that day, Armstrong called a BLM official in Fairbanks and said, “Don’t think for a second that if we don’t get this resolved that I won’t pick up arms. I will pick up arms, and I will kill you guys. That’s not a threat.
I think that's meant as, "That's not a threat, it's a promise."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm

OOOOpppppsssssy
Thousands of American Airlines Holiday Flights Don't Have Pilots: Union

Fort Worth-based American Airlines is scrambling to find pilots to operate thousands of flights over the upcoming holiday season after a glitch hit the company's scheduling system.

The Allied Pilots Association, which represents about 15,000 American Airlines pilots, says they were notified by airline management of "significant holes" in the schedule due to a failure with the pilot schedule bidding system.

A spokesman for the airline told The Associated Press on Wednesday that they expect to avoid canceling flights by paying overtime and using reserve pilots.

American isn't saying how many flights are affected, but the pilots' union says that about 15,000 flights were scheduled without a captain, a co-pilot or both.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/nat ... 22033.html
Reason:
NBC wrote:Pilots bid each month for flying assignments based on seniority. The scheduling glitch let pilots drop scheduled flights — to take a vacation over Christmas, for example — even when there were no other pilots available for that flight. Normally the system would deny conflicting vacation requests, especially during busy travel periods.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 pm

He’s saying it’s not a threat, it’s a plan.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm
No reason why the Trumps should expect an invitation anyway. It’s not a State Occasion, the Trumps aren’t British, they aren’t friends of the couple, and they aren’t part of royalty. I don’t think the Obamas were invited to Prince William’s wedding and Harry is even farther down the line. (Purportedly due to security concerns overwhelming the occasion, and the Obamas couldn’t be seen refusing an invite, diplomacy says no invite.]

However, Michele Obama IS a friend of Prince Harry. They’ve done some projects together. I’m sure both would love to jab a pointy stick at Trump. The rejection by Europe’s Royal families would be a big pointy stick. :thumbs:

I’m hoping for tiara events!!!

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am

Facebook has decided that my 65th birthday is an excellent opportunity for me to spend money buying things that are advertised on Facebook. You know, since none of my friends are going to give me any presents at my young age, I need to treat myself or something. The pressure has been unrelenting for weeks, and now it's getting worse.

No, Facebook. Fuck off. :fingerwag:

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am
Facebook has decided that my 65th birthday is an excellent opportunity for me to spend money buying things that are advertised on Facebook. You know, since none of my friends are going to give me any presents at my young age, I need to treat myself or something. The pressure has been unrelenting for weeks, and now it's getting worse.

No, Facebook. Fuck off. :fingerwag:
You get to buy Medicare for your birthday. Get it while it's hot. It may not be available much longer!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 am
You get to buy Medicare for your birthday.
Oh joy. :yawn:

Actually, it will be slightly more expensive than ACA. And it won't cover my boys, who will need separate health insurance for the first time since ACA went into effect.

And I'm NOT OLD. I want to make that very, very clear. :lol:

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

I turned old on a December day and decided that I wouldn’t need a supplemental until January. I ran up a $5000+ medical bill two days before the supplimental kicked in. Trying to save $95 cost me $1350.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm

I wish I knew better how all this works. I turn 65 in December so I signed up for Medicare and a Blue Cross Cost plan in November. I've got my Medicare card and letters from Medicare and Blue Cross saying that I'm accepted. I just haven't paid anything to them yet. I'm not collecting Social Security yet so I'll have to pay my own Part B. I imagine I'll get bills from Medicare and Blue Cross soon. Right?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Are you still working? Are you still covered by your employer’s insurance? If yes, do not sign up for Medicare.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Return to “The Lounge”