Hijack this thread

RTH10260

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:18 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 pm
Even assuming the best, it is an incredibly butt ugly statute and I would call it offensive just on that alone, but yeah, comes under the what were they thinking clause. I think it is even more offensive that someone actually paid for that thing.
I saw somewhere (Facebook?) that they saw a 2D rendering of it that didn't look offensive.
http://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 06#p934566 ;)

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:57 pm

It's National Dog Show day, so...

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm

ETA:

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:41 am

Lightning

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:34 am

Lani wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm
ETA:
I always thought Chewie was a pooch lookalike. Let's be fair. ;)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:22 am

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:29 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:22 am
Is it wrong that I know the answer to both questions?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am

The 5 AM one would be a Trump tweet.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Amazon is EVIL...evil I say. I have lusted after an Airfryer for a couple years and held off buying one, because my oldest son would have wrecked within a week. When he left I found one and added it onto my wishlist. Amazon pops up on my smart phone with a lightening deal, on not the one I had selected, but the Cadillac of Airfryers.. The Phillips brand, it is regularly sold at 249.00, I would never pay that much for an appliance like that, the price they gave me was 109.00 I pressed buy so fast I did not see my finger move..lol. I figure Phillips has a newer version or are about to introduce a new version and want to sell the remaining stock off, but it is a great deal at a great price. Thank god I didn't have my heart set on some ridiculously priced TV. It will be here Monday...EVIL EVIL AMAZON.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:05 pm

We love our air fryer. We don't have a terribly high-end model (I think ours was $70) but it still does a nice job.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:17 pm

I had heard of fried ice cream and even fried Twinkies but never fried air. I need to get out more.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 am

Dont know where to put this, do we have a ShitGibbon agenda thread?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:07 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 am

Oh my God... :shock:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 am
shon. @SeanMcElwee
the federalist society has devised a horrifying new plan to shove a court packing scheme into the tax bill. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
16:21 - 25 Nov 2017
https:// twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/934441994574802952
The worst is that they will nominate totally unqualified persons to the jobs. It will trigger an avalanche of cases in the appellate courts. And it will backfire on their own voters cause unqualified judges will equally speak bad law on everything, independant of political choice of plaintiffs and defendants. One could hope that some of the younger judges would swing from right to more left in ther political opinions while aging and getting more experience.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:37 pm

I spent most of today, snackless but with a full bottle of hot coffee (no French vanilla creamer—that stuff is awful), at a National Wildlife Refuge and not once did I feel the urge to occupy it, dig a trench, or edumacate anyone around me about something that I know nothing of (say, drill bits). Sunday fail!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:37 pm
I spent most of today, snackless but with a full bottle of hot coffee (no French vanilla creamer—that stuff is awful), at a National Wildlife Refuge and not once did I feel the urge to occupy it, dig a trench, or edumacate anyone around me about something that I know nothing of (say, drill bits). Sunday fail!
I'm guessing that's because you also remembered to pack the dildo. So much trouble in Oregon could've been avoided if Ammo and cRyan had remembered the dildos. Instead they had to occupy Malheur to grift for dildos.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 am

Not sure where to post this, so I'll just plunk it here. I posted elsewhere awhile back about considering a dna test to trace my mom's heritage, but talked with my kiddo about it. Both of us were uncomfortable with about how our dna could be used against us in the future.

Senator calls for more scrutiny of home DNA test industry

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... ry-n824031
"These are the kits where you swab your cheek or maybe spit into a little vial send it back to a company and in return they're unravel your DNA," Schumer, the Senate Democratic leader, said at a news conference Sunday morning.

Schumer cited the rising popularity of home genetic kits and ancestry services, such as Ancestry, 23andMe and MyHeritage, and said some of their terms-of-service agreements weren't clear on just what companies could do with your genetic information.

'Not fair and not right': Schumer condemns home DNA test companies selling information

"Here's what many consumers don't realize, that their sensitive information can end up in the hands of unknown third-party companies," he said. "There are no prohibitions, and many companies say that they can still sell your information to other companies."

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 am

Meanwhile in the UK ...

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Officially Engaged

http://time.com/5036408/prince-harry-me ... e-engaged/
After months of anticipation, Britain’s Prince Harry and former Suits star Meghan Markle announced their engagement.

Clarence House released a statement on the morning of Nov. 27, stating that Prince Harry had informed the Queen as well as other close family members, and that the wedding would take place in Spring 2018. “The couple will live in Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace,” it added.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 am

Lani wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 am
Not sure where to post this, so I'll just plunk it here. I posted elsewhere awhile back about considering a dna test to trace my mom's heritage, but talked with my kiddo about it. Both of us were uncomfortable with about how our dna could be used against us in the future.

Senator calls for more scrutiny of home DNA test industry

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... ry-n824031
:snippity:
"Here's what many consumers don't realize, that their sensitive information can end up in the hands of unknown third-party companies," he said. "There are no prohibitions, and many companies say that they can still sell your information to other companies."
What is scary about the non existence of proper privacy laws in the US is the fact that any company can promise not to sell your data, even not use your data for any purpose but for maybe only billing, but once they go into chapter 11 finanical resturcturing all this data becomes "valuable assets" to be used to bail out the company. These personal data assets get passed on to whoever buys up the failing company or merges with it and there are no strings attached to the data anymore.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 am
What is scary about the non existence of proper privacy laws in the US is the fact that any company can promise not to sell your data, even not use your data for any purpose but for maybe only billing, but once they go into chapter 11 finanical resturcturing all this data becomes "valuable assets" to be used to bail out the company. These personal data assets get passed on to whoever buys up the failing company or merges with it and there are no strings attached to the data anymore.
You bring up a great point that I wasn't aware of until it affected me, and I was appalled. That is, when Borders went under, Barnes and Noble acquired their data and sent me relentless solicitations for a while. I wondered how it could be legal, but the emails included reassurances that this was all perfectly above board and normal.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
:rotflmao:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
I'm guessing that's because you also remembered to pack the dildo. So much trouble in Oregon could've been avoided if Ammo and cRyan had remembered the dildos. Instead they had to occupy Malheur to grift for dildos.
:rotflmao:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:44 am

Well, that was interesting. :) the Mr and I went to see Reza Aslan speak as part of the book tour for his new book, God. Vromans, an indie bookstore in Pasadena, loves to host local authors, but their room is too small and he’s a popular speaker so the event was held at All Saints Church*. The Church was full. Along with our tickets we got a signed copy of his book.

Which was good, because instead of talking about the book, he went on a 45 minute rant against Trump. Because it’s Reza, it featured white evangelicals (did you know they went from the group in 2015 most likely to say of politicians “character counts a lot” to, in 2016, the group least likely to say “character counts”?); Trump as their Jim Jones; the prosperity gospel**; Trump’s wealth; and Trump true believers’ cult behavior. It was righteous and awesome and nobody really seemed to mind he didn’t talk about the book.

He urged us to oppose in any way we can.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Sai ... estigation

**Paula Jones - even Drumpf’s spiritual advisor is smokin’ hot. How revolting.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am

Will Sommer did a very amusing tweet thread on the long history of James O'keefe's epic failures, which made me ponder whether O'keefe should have a dedicated thread on TFB: https://twitter.com/willsommer

O'keefe appears to join the ranks of Orly in his cosmic and comic ineptness. (ACORN, though, still gets under my skin.) O'keefe pays himself over $300k a year. From whence comes the money? His paymasters have very low standards. trump is one of them.

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

NMgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
Will Sommer did a very amusing tweet thread on the long history of James O'keefe's epic failures, which made me ponder whether O'keefe should have a dedicated thread on TFB: https://twitter.com/willsommer

O'keefe appears to join the ranks of Orly in his cosmic and comic ineptness. (ACORN, though, still gets under my skin.) O'keefe pays himself over $300k a year. From whence comes the money? His paymasters have very low standards. trump is one of them.
Jimmy-boy has one.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2424

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Return to “The Lounge”