Hijack this thread

maydijo

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 am
maydijo wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm
Amongst all the other presents Santa is bringing this year, he's also giving the kids bean bag chairs. I decided to fill them today to give me one less thing to do on Christmas Eve. I'm going to have nightmares about those little pellets for weeks to come. I'm generally pretty handy with these things. Ikea furniture? A swingset? A bicycle? No problem. But a bean bag chair? This is almost as bad as that time I replaced a bit in the toilet and thought, Eh, it's only a two minute job, there's really no point shutting off the water . . .
Had to laugh at this. Like an idiot, I decided to make funky chicken pin cushions as party favors for my quilt group's Christmas meal. Two dozen of them! They are filled with lizard litter, about a cup per chicken, and it takes longer to fill them than it does to make them. I now have crumbs of crushed walnut shells in my car, in my studio, in my husband's recliner, on the dining room table....pretty much every place I have even thought about the damn things. I'm pretty sure they'll show up back here on my computer now that I've mentioned them. Worse than glitter and sequins.
Oh, that makes me feel better! If even a refined southern lady like yourself has difficulties with these things, maybe my clutzy old self isn't so bad after all.

As for glitter, these days, I just go with it. I spent years banning glitter from the house. A few months ago I figured my kids were finally old enough to use glitter inside. So I pulled out the glitter, and then went to put the craft box back on the shelf. While my back was turned one of the kids upended most of the (small) bottle of glitter all over the dining room. I stood there and looked at the mess and felt my blood boil - and then I thought, Why am I so upset? It sparkles! It's pretty! I cleaned it up the best I could but of course I am still finding traces of it. But so what? Who cares? Glitter's pretty! Why did I spend all those years worrying about it?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Glitter is much better than Legos left on the carpet or those tiny matchbox cars. OUCH!!! Glitter detracts from carpet burns caused by huge fires in the fireplace built by hubby (a fan of Count Rumford). It is definitely pretty. So glad you had your epiphany and it wasn't glitter glue! :-D

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:58 pm
Glitter is much better than Legos left on the carpet or those tiny matchbox cars. OUCH!!! Glitter detracts from carpet burns caused by huge fires in the fireplace built by hubby (a fan of Count Rumford). It is definitely pretty. So glad you had your epiphany and it wasn't glitter glue! :-D
I make the grandkids play with glitter outside, so that’s a warm-weather activity.

So far the only crafty stuff I’ve actually had to take away was pipe cleaners. I know. You’d think they could handle those responsibly. They’re nine years old, for crying out loud! But I told them the next time I return to the cabin for the weekend to find the robot vac dead because it choked on a pipe cleaner and ran itself out of batteries trying to dislodge it, the pipe cleaners were going in the trash.

Sure enough... just this past weekend...

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

How to lay concrete blocks.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Looks like the whole world is getting fed up with Russia.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:01 pm

From NPR -
Russian Athletes To Compete Under Olympic Flag At 2018 Games, In Doping Punishment

The International Olympic Committee has suspended the Russian Olympic Committee "with immediate effect," over Russia's system of state-supported cheating by its athletes who used performance-enhancing drugs.

Russian athletes can compete in the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, the IOC said on Tuesday — but the athletes will have to pass strict scrutiny, and they will compete under the title "Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)."

tek

Post by tek » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:07 pm

It does not help that the local ANG bases are doing night training this week..

The sound of F-15s zipping around in the night sky is not comforting.

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

realist

Post by realist » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am

No idea if there are any fans of the TV show Criminal MInds or not, but even if you've never seen it, or have seen it and don't like it, you should watch this week's episode.

Why? TRUTHERS!! That's right, a whole covey of Truthers, and Birthers and False Flags!! OH MY!! AND MORE!! :thumbs:

Whoever the writer is was well-versed in these conspiracy theory nuts. And the best part is close to the end. And I won't give it away but those of us who follow these idiots will be laughing their asses off. Well, at least I did. It involves a man called Orci.

Here's a link to the sneak peak, which doesn't reveal much, but the episode can be streamed pretty much any time.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/11/crimi ... qus_thread

Episode can be viewed here, along with several other places: http://www.watchstreamingtvonline.com/c ... alse-flag/

ImageX 4 (have met 36 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:51 am

realist wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am
No idea if there are any fans of the TV show Criminal MInds or not, but even if you've never seen it, or have seen it and don't like it, you should watch this week's episode.

Why? TRUTHERS!! That's right, a whole covey of Truthers, and Birthers and False Flags!! OH MY!! AND MORE!! :thumbs:

Whoever the writer is was well-versed in these conspiracy theory nuts. And the best part is close to the end. And I won't give it away but those of us who follow these idiots will be laughing their asses off. Well, at least I did. It involves a man called Orci.

Here's a link to the sneak peak, which doesn't reveal much, but the episode can be streamed pretty much any time.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/11/crimi ... qus_thread

Episode can be viewed here, along with several other places: http://www.watchstreamingtvonline.com/c ... alse-flag/
I LOVED this episode. And yes, Orci is perfection and what I imagine most of them are. :D

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Happy holidays

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 am

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm
https:// twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status/939076021160153088
Julian Assange 🔹 Today marks the start of the 8th year of my illegal detention without charge in the UK. https://www.iamwikileaks.org
IFF the US were to win some extradition request, would this detention be talley up as time done against his presumed future hold in a real cell? :blackeye:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 am
RVInit wrote:
https:// twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status/939076021160153088
Julian Assange 🔹 Today marks the start of the 8th year of my illegal detention without charge in the UK. https://www.iamwikileaks.org
IFF the US were to win some extradition request, would this detention be talley up as time done against his presumed future hold in a real cell? :blackeye:
Poor Julian. Do awful things, have awful things happen. He seems whiny and needy.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:56 am

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

tek

Post by tek » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:22 pm

First accumulating snow of the season here. Forecast predicts many SUVs in the ditches along I91.

Happens every year.

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 pm

RVInit wrote:
Gee, if only there was something he could do, like hand himself over to authorities.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:18 pm

At least he's not trying to tell anybody he's in the closet.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

When all the vineyards burned last month we decided to spend some of our vacation time in Wine Country.

I know that W4, maybenaut and some others will understand when I say that I’m thrilled! Cheryl Wheeler is playing in Sebastopol in late March! We have hotel booked and tix to the show.

Eeeeek!

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:28 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm
When all the vineyards burned last month we decided to spend some of our vacation time in Wine Country.

I know that W4, maybenaut and some others will understand when I say that I’m thrilled! Cheryl Wheeler is playing in Sebastopol in late March! We have hotel booked and tix to the show.

Eeeeek!
EEEEEEEK!

I’d come visit, but I think I’m getting another new knee March 12.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Reefer Madness... not.
Legal pot: Canada will sell marijuana in liquor stores this coming July.
Nova Scotians will be allowed 30 grams, and must be over the age of 19 to purchase marijuana. Canada will legalize the drug in July,
Nova Scotia, a province on Canada’s eastern shore, announced on Thursday that the Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation, its sole alcohol distributor, would sell the drug in its stores and on its website once Canada legalizes weed in July of next year.
"The NSLC has the experience and expertise to distribute and sell restricted products like alcohol and now cannabis in a socially responsible way," "We believe the NSLC is best positioned to sell cannabis, keeping it out of the hands of young people and making it legally available in a safe, regulated way."
http://www.newsweek.com/canada-liquor-s ... ana-743195

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:57 pm

tek wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:22 pm
First accumulating snow of the season here. Forecast predicts many SUVs in the ditches along I91.

Happens every year.
As of about 2 hours ago, there were reports on our local message board that 143 hadn't been treated & there had already been 6 accidents.

I'm awfully glad I'm sitting at home reading Fogbow for the first snowfall (it's mighty pretty) - every damn year almost every resident of WMass reacts to the first snow as though they've never seen it or driven in it before. I have no idea what causes this amnesia (a forlon hope that last winter really was the LAST winter?) but being on the roads during the first couple of snowstorms is always a bad idea!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:54 am

Intellectual winter time - snowflakes etc
Campus coffee shop evicts College Republicans from 'safe space'

Massachusetts Campus Correspondent on Dec 08, 2017 at 7:40 PM EDT

Members of the Fordham University College Republicans were asked to leave an on-campus coffee shop because their MAGA hats apparently violated the shop’s “safe space policy.”

The self-identified president of the student club that runs the shop told the CR members that she was "protecting my customers," explaining that "you are wearing hats that completely violate safe space policy."

Members of the Fordham University College Republicans were asked to leave an on-campus coffee shop because their MAGA hats apparently violated the shop’s “safe space policy.”

In a video obtained by Campus Reform, the self-identified president of Rodrigue’s Coffee House, a coffee shop run by a student club, is seen telling the College Republicans they have five minutes to get out of the coffee shop.

"This is a community standard—you are wearing hats that completely violate safe space policy. You have to take it off or you have to go."

“I am protecting my customers,” the president said.

“We are your customers, we bought something,” a CR member replied.

“I don’t want people like you supporting this club… no one here wants people like you supporting our club,” the president retorted. “I am giving you five minutes.”

A student then asked for a refund, to which the president responded, “[y]ou had some coffee… do not try to outsmart me.”

“You are threatening the integrity of our club. This is a community standard—you are wearing hats that completely violate safe space policy,” she said. “You have to take it off or you have to go.”

One of the students then asked the president to explain what she thinks the MAGA hat stands for, to which she replied, shouting: “Fascism, Nazis! You have three minutes.”

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10251
from other source
The unnamed owner of Rodrigue’s Coffee at Fordham University in New York kicked the college Republicans out because the MAGA hats allegedly violated the shop’s “safe space policy,” reported Campus Reform.Rodrigue’s Coffee Shop’s “safe space policy” instructs customers to “not make assumptions about someone’s gender, sexuality, race, class, or experiences. Be aware of your identity, while being considerate of the personhood of your peers.” “We went there because we wanted to test the unwritten rule that conservatives were banned from that coffee shop,” said one Fordham College Republican to Campus Reform.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:06 am

That's some weapons-grade stupidity by the members of the club that runs the coffee shop. I mean talk about your fractal wrongness. You can't welcome diversity by banning anyone who doesn't agree with you nor can you achieve justice by employing a double standard. The specialest little snowflakes of intellectual winter, indeed.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Return to “The Lounge”