The Stupid - It Burns!

Slartibartfast

Re: The Stupid - It Burns!

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:54 pm

bob wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm
Talk about burying the lede:
He compared himself to Evel Knievel, as he promised to launch himself from a California racetrack - the first step on his steam-powered leap toward space.

The Kickstarter raised US$310 of its US$150,000 goal.

Hughes made other pitches, including a plan to fly over Texas in a "SkyLimo." But he complained to Ars Technica last year about the difficulty of funding his dreams on a chauffeur's meager salary.

A year later, he called into a flat-Earth community Web show to announce that he had become a recent convert.

"We were kind of looking for new sponsors for this. And I'm a believer in the flat Earth," Hughes said. "I researched it for several months."

A flat-Earth GoFundMe subsequently raised nearly US$8,000 for Hughes.
A homemade rocket sounds like a better grift than birther coins.
Speak for yourself, I’ve still got my birther coin and you’re not getting it for some hare-brained flat earth rocket scheme straight out of 50s era sci-fi.

I use it as a card capper while playing poker to remind me that nothing beats having stupid opponents. My dream is to one day be at the poker table with the Paraclete and have him ask about it.
:towel:

Suranis,

I’m watching you.

*points fingers at eyes, points fingers at Suranis*

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm

I am astonished that Flat Earthers would actually donate $8Gs for .... well, for anything connected with trying to prove a flat earth.

Frankly, most Flat Earthers seem to be sort of marginal people, if you get my drift, and I suspect a good many who join the ranks are not True Believers but are desperate for some sort of social connection (or maybe looking for suckers they can swindle), so I am surprised that they had eight thousand burning a hole in their pockets.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm still working on where they found enough of them with any money to come up with what they did.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 pm
I'm still working on where they found enough of them with any money to come up with what they did.
16,000 Flat Earthers = $8,000.

Did the math.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 am

Sound like the guy is a rocket enthusiast, who found in the flat earthers a ready source of funding, and who will say whatever as long as he gets enough money to get him launched.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:39 am

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:16 pm

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 pm

“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons,[*]" Hughes said. "Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception."
:shock:

For some industrial-grade burning stupid, Freemasons in Spaaaaaace!

* What, "globalists," "international banksters," and the other, usual dog whistles were already taken?

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:11 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 pm
“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons,[*]" Hughes said. "Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception."

For some industrial-grade burning stupid, Freemasons in Spaaaaaace!

* What, "globalists," "international banksters," and the other, usual dog whistles were already taken?
Oh Jeebus, I read the comments...

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Scary doesn't even come close to describing them.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Washington Post -
A flat-Earther’s plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket just hit a speed bump

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet high Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket — in an effort to prove that Earth is flat — said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to conduct it on public land.

Instead, Mike Hughes said the launch will take place sometime next week on private property, albeit still in Amboy, Calif., an unincorporated community in the Mojave Desert along historic Route 66.

“It's still happening. We're just moving it three miles down the road,” Hughes told The Washington Post on Friday. “This is what happens anytime you have to deal with any kind of government agency.”

Hughes claimed the Bureau of Land Management said he couldn't launch his rocket as planned Saturday in Amboy. He claimed the federal agency had given him verbal permission more than a year ago, pending approval from the Federal Aviation Administration.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 pm
Washington Post -
A flat-Earther’s plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket just hit a speed bump

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet high Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket — in an effort to prove that Earth is flat — said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to conduct it on public land.

Instead, Mike Hughes said the launch will take place sometime next week on private property, albeit still in Amboy, Calif., an unincorporated community in the Mojave Desert along historic Route 66.

“It's still happening. We're just moving it three miles down the road,” Hughes told The Washington Post on Friday. “This is what happens anytime you have to deal with any kind of government agency.”

Hughes claimed the Bureau of Land Management said he couldn't launch his rocket as planned Saturday in Amboy. He claimed the federal agency had given him verbal permission more than a year ago, pending approval from the Federal Aviation Administration.
See, the conspiracy runs deep. This just proves the US government will do anything to keep us from learning the earth is really flat.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 pm

I suspect the neighbors, even in this small town, are concerned that his rocket will fizzle a few hundred or thousand feet up and crash into someone's house with explosive effects.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:16 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 pm
I suspect the neighbors, even in this small town, are concerned that his rocket will fizzle a few hundred or thousand feet up and crash into someone's house with explosive effects.
I can’t say I blame them for thinking that.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:55 am

Not many neighbors up there in the high desert, actually. National Park, Nature Preserves, sand, and a military base or two. Horny toads, rattle snakes, Big Horn sheep. The Frank Lloyd Wright- designed buildings in Joshua Tree have a few neighbors, but up towards Amboy, not so many neighbors.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:41 am

I would suspect that anyone whose property he could fire off of would be concerned about liability issues one way or another.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:14 pm

maydijo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Washington Post -

:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
Um 1800 feet of elevation? WTF is that going to show / prove in regards to earth curvature? And if it was probative of anything there are a lot of mundane yet safe ways to reach that height as well as much higher. What am I missing?

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:55 pm

qbawl wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:14 pm
maydijo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Washington Post -

:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
Um 1800 feet of elevation? WTF is that going to show / prove in regards to earth curvature? And if it was probative of anything there are a lot of mundane yet safe ways to reach that height as well as much higher. What am I missing?
You're missing a complete lack of scientific literacy and critical thinking skills, at a guess...

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm

qbawl wrote:
Airplanes are dangerous. It's safer to launch yourself up 1800 feet in your own home brew rocket. Or something.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:43 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm
qbawl wrote:
Airplanes are dangerous. It's safer to launch yourself up 1800 feet in your own home brew rocket. Or something.
There are buildings taller than that. Heck, there are mountains not far from there you can drive up and be over 10,000 feet.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:25 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm
qbawl wrote:
http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html

Lawnchair Larry made it to 16,000 feet.
He hatched his weather balloon scheme while sitting outside in his "extremely comfortable" Sears lawnchair. He purchased 45 weather balloons from an Army-Navy surplus store, tied them to his tethered lawnchair (dubbed the Inspiration I) and filled the four-foot diameter balloons with helium. Then, armed with some sandwiches, Miller Lite, and a pellet gun, he strapped himself into his lawnchair. He figured he would shoot to pop a few of the many balloons when it was time to descend.

Larry planned to sever the anchor and lazily float to a height of about 30 feet above the backyard, where he would enjoy a few hours of flight before coming back down. But things didn't work out quite as Larry planned.

When his friends cut the cord anchoring the lawnchair to his Jeep, he did not float lazily up to 30 feet. Instead he streaked into the LA sky as if shot from a cannon, pulled by the lift of 45 helium balloons, holding 33 cubic feet of helium each.

He didn't level off at 100 feet, nor did he level off at 1000 feet. After climbing and climbing, he leveled off at 16,000 feet.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 am

My hero. :dance:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 pm

A catholic school in Australia recently commissioned and installed a new statue of a saint.

Seriously?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11946769

WTF were they thinking?

Garr. Having issues linking the image

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 pm

When Lawnchair Larry descended, if I remember correctly, his rig fell across high tension power lines and caused a blackout.... also, he was arrested and fined by FAA for various violations..

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 pm
A catholic school in Australia recently commissioned and installed a new statue of a saint.

Seriously?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11946769

WTF were they thinking?

Garr. Having issues linking the image
I think the problem is the image is from "instagram". I have had trouble posting stuff from there. At your link:
St Dominic is meant to be handing the young boy a load of bread but that is not what some people think it looks like. Photo / Instagram

'It looked different in 2-D!' Catholic headmaster opens up on how school ended up displaying 'unfortunately' designed statue before it was covered up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tatue.html

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”