The Stupid - It Burns!

TollandRCR

Re: The Stupid - It Burns!

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 am

For 50 years I have been noticing the errors made after “and.” It is often people with some education st the tertiary level who make the error. I am inclined to blame their teachers.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Re I/me, I was taught the way to do it is to remove the others from the sentence. EG, 'I went down to the creek,' so 'Jimmy and I went down to the creek,' 'He hates me' so 'He hates Jimmy and me' (although usually I'd just use 'us' for that one) etc.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 pm

My favorite I/me story happened when my daughter was in high school.

Daughter:"Janet and me are going to the movies."
Mother:"Janet and I."
Daughter:"oh, you're coming with us?"

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:57 pm

JEDDAH MASTER
Saudi Arabia recalls textbook with image of Yoda sitting next to king
Education ministry says inclusion of doctored photo of King Faisal signing UN Charter in 1945 with Jedi master next to him was an 'error'

By AFP September 22, 2017, 10:29 pm 0

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Saudi Arabia scrambled Friday to withdraw a school textbook that accidentally included a doctored photograph of a former ruler sitting next to a “Star Wars” character, prompting ridicule on social media.

The black-and-white image shows King Faisal, Saudi Arabia’s third monarch, signing the United Nations Charter in 1945, with the diminutive Jedi master Yoda perched next to him.

The image was created by 26-year-old Saudi artist Abdullah al-Shehri, renown for mixing pop culture icons into historic photographs.
This photoshopped image by Saudi artist Abdullah al-Sheri, known as Shawsheen, of Jedi master Yoda with King Faisal signing the UN charter in 1945, was accidentally included in a school textbook across the kingdom, September 2017. (Abdullah Al-Shehri)
https://www.timesofisrael.com/saudi-ara ... t-to-king/
yodasaudiking-e1506108108112-640x400.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Let us go then, you and me
When the evening is spread out across the sea
Like a pedant eulogized upon a foible

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:27 am

D'oh

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:22 am

Lone Elk park is a tall fence park in St. Louis County that has, you guessed it, elk (also deer and bison). Of course, there is some signage to remind people that elk are giant dangerous animals with giant dangerous antlers.
59dbf9e129b6a.image.jpg
Photo by J.B. Forbes of the Post Dispatch.

Elk selfies gone wrong: Two gored at St. Louis County park prompt more safety warnings

ST. LOUIS COUNTY • The signs at Lone Elk Park read: “Absolutely do not approach the elk!”

But the signs apparently aren’t enough.

“Some people unfortunately think elk are this gentle, tame animal, but that’s just not true,” Ott said. “They are wild animals. These people who are walking up to them are asking for trouble.”

Ott said the parks department is considering adding extra patrols in the area after the incidents.
There is a blow by blow description of the stupidity in action by a Post Dispatch photographer who happened to witness it.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 40a2b.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 am

“The basic rule,” Ott said. “Use your common sense.”

I think I see the problem.

X3

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 am

:clap: Yes ... Mr. Ott should have said "The basic rule is use our common sense."

A lot of the "burning stupid" issues reported here involve a person's misperception of danger levels - usually under-estimates of the danger levels because excessive caution is less likely to trigger amusingly bloody incidents. Not a great deal one can do about that, except publicize enough incidents to persuade people not to be some inflammably incompetent.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 am

Its a bit like the fact that the vast majority of snake bites are in the hand, as people reach out to the snakes...

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am

Suranis wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 am
Its a bit like the fact that the vast majority of snake bites are in the hand, as people reach out to the snakes...
This is true.

But I do wonder how many of those are herpetologists, like my good friend in Louisiana. He collected a beautiful and well fed rattlesnake for study. At that point in time he had been handling venomous and non-venomous snakes for many years and was highly experienced. He was bit on the small finger, barely, when he was letting the snake go after collecting the data. That was many years ago, and he's collected and studied hundreds more venomous snakes since then without any incident.

BTW, that snake bite, in which the snake barely got a fang into his small finger landed my friend in the hospital for three weeks. He was out in the desert in Texas on that trip and the friend who was with him had to drive like a madman through the desert to get to the nearest hospital, I have since forgotten how far that was and how much time it took them to get there.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am

Suranis wrote:
Not in your Ireland, where snake bites are only found in cocktail bars, thanks to St. Patrick for expelling the slinky reptiles! ;)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 am

I'm sorry, you DON'T PET the Elk, Bison, Grizzley Bear, Porcupine, or any thing else that is bigger than you or, anymore than you put your face in the alligator's mouth or play with bitey poisonous snakes, and yet people do it all the time. Stupid is immutable, unfortunately.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 am
I'm sorry, you DON'T PET the Elk, Bison, Grizzley Bear, Porcupine, or any thing else that is bigger than you or, anymore than you put your face in the alligator's mouth or play with bitey poisonous snakes, and yet people do it all the time. Stupid is immutable, unfortunately.
Thanks goes to Walt Disney for making all wild animals intelligent, friendly and cuddly.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 am

Also DON’T stand under lampposts, trees etc. in Brazil:
A woman in Brazil was hospitalized after a porcupine fell from a lamp post and fell on her head, leaving 200 of its quills stuck in her scalp, according to video from Newsy
http://archive.azcentral.com/offbeat/fr ... upine.html

OUCH1!

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Jebus will protect you if you are not a sinner!

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 am

OBITUARY: THE SAD PASSING OF COMMON SENSE

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/obitcs.htm

OBITUARY: THE SAD PASSING OF COMMON SENSE

Ian Mutch

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned, but overbearing, regulations were set in place.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/obituary ... -ian-mutch
Obituary of Common Sense !

Today, we mourn the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the Millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools; hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.
http://www.naute.com/thinkery/obituary.phtml

:yeah:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thanks goes to Walt Disney for making all wild animals intelligent, friendly and cuddly.
:YEAH: too, also, but let's not leave good old fashioned home grown stupidity out of the equation, these are also the people who will touch a flame to see if it is hot.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am
Suranis wrote:
Not in your Ireland, where snake bites are only found in cocktail bars, thanks to St. Patrick for expelling the slinky reptiles! ;)
Over the years I've seen 6 or 7 dumbasses pick up copperheads and none of them got bitten. If copperheads would do the right thing and bite every single dumbass who tried to pick them up, then people would stop doing it.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Tom xxxxx shared RT Play's video.
15 hrs ·
There are too many of us....this is the real issue behind ALL the issues....most seem afraid to just say it....too many of us......simple as that

some comments: (all the "D" names get confusing but I redacted last names anyway )

Danny xxx Every person in the world can stand in Jacksonville Florida.

Daryl xxx And then Jasksonville would run out of resources to support them in thirty seconds.

Danny xxx My only thought was with every person in the world standing in Jacksonville it would leave 63, 333 times that much land left over. I understand the the resources issue. But as far as land goes humans take up 1/63333 of the earths land. The illustration seemed to show we're running out of land. All numbers are straight from google. Everyone on earth can stand in 900 sq miles and the earth has 57 million sq. Miles of land. Overpopulation is going to take awhile.

Darrell xxx I think you are confusing lack of resources with lack of space.

Danny xxx Im not confusing anything, Im only talking about space.

Darrell xxx Space is only one aspect of overpopulation, also if you look at areas of dense human population, such as cities, you will see the amount of violence increases dramatically, indicating that humans do indeed need a lot of space to thrive.

Danny xxx I get it, and my point is there's plenty of it.

Jan xxx space is an issue. we destroy more and more rainforest for people to live in and for food cultures to feed the world population. and right now wed need 1.7 earths to feed all mankind. and it gets worse. we destroy our own planet because we overpopulate it (Espacially in poor countries).

Darrell xxx I suppose there is. In that respect, there must be room for 3000 goldfish in a 1 liter bottle as well. Lol

Danny xxx If you put 7 billion goldfish in a one liter bottle, let them out into their other 63333 one liter bottles i doubt overpopulation would come up. The illustration makes a point to put 7000 dots on the land map when all 7000 dots could fit in one dot.

The above was shared from this post:
https://www.facebook.com/RTvids/ <break link>
videos/1725438574133055/?hc_ref=ARRGY7EkqYJceuJIPCE-1H2nIaTYy-77wJU1XbA3P7iKyWfF5SmhRXZAP8AvUW8ICvA

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:23 am

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am
Suranis wrote:
Over the years I've seen 6 or 7 dumbasses pick up copperheads and none of them got bitten. If copperheads would do the right thing and bite every single dumbass who tried to pick them up, then people would stop doing it.
Only about 1 in every 10 bites from a venomous snake will contain venom. Snakes try to preserve it and only use it when they feel it's absolutely necessary.

Which isn't to say you should go about picking up snakes (venomous or not); wild animals belong in the wild. (I get annoyed when my neighbour captures a lizard or frog and keeps it for a while. Animals aren't there for our enjoyment.) But chances are, even if you pick up a snake, you won't get hurt.

A few years ago my then-6 year old son tried to pet a monocled cobra at a snake show in Thailand. The snake was in strike position but didn't strike. Snakes will generally go out of their way to leave you alone.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:29 am

RVInit wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am
Suranis wrote:
This is true.

But I do wonder how many of those are herpetologists, like my good friend in Louisiana. He collected a beautiful and well fed rattlesnake for study. At that point in time he had been handling venomous and non-venomous snakes for many years and was highly experienced. He was bit on the small finger, barely, when he was letting the snake go after collecting the data. That was many years ago, and he's collected and studied hundreds more venomous snakes since then without any incident.

BTW, that snake bite, in which the snake barely got a fang into his small finger landed my friend in the hospital for three weeks. He was out in the desert in Texas on that trip and the friend who was with him had to drive like a madman through the desert to get to the nearest hospital, I have since forgotten how far that was and how much time it took them to get there.
A few years ago a herpetologist was bitten on the chest (the worst place to be bitten) by an inland taipan (the world's most venomous snake, one bite can kill 500,000 mice). He drove himself 13 hours through the outback to the nearest hospital in Adelaide. He survived. People very rarely die of snake bite in countries with decent medical care.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:33 am

Dolly wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 pm
The above was shared from this post:
https://www.facebook.com/RTvids/ <break link>
videos/1725438574133055/?hc_ref=ARRGY7EkqYJceuJIPCE-1H2nIaTYy-77wJU1XbA3P7iKyWfF5SmhRXZAP8AvUW8ICvA
Aaaaaaaaaaa. I had the same discussion with someone about 20 years ago. Kept insisting the world's population would fit in Texas, so no problem. Walked off with his toys when I mentioned Texas doesn't have the resources for X billion people.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 am

Duh. The problem isn't space, it's infrastructure.

It would be easy to build cities that could house a trillion people. Supplying them with food and water? Not so much.

X3

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm

A recent petition at Whitehouse.gov is imploring President Trump to:
Complete, declassify and release results of the FBI investigation, of the 100,000 child sex slaves under the Getty in LA

A criminal complaint was filed with the FBI Human trafficking Div on Apr. 5, 2017 by Steven D Kelley detailing the existence of a network of human traffickers who maintain a stable of up to 100,000 kidnapped children who are used as sex slaves, human experiments, who face torture and death, and consumption by the predator elite that use this massive bunker to conceal these crimes. This bunker is accessed through the security entrance and a massive elevator under the Getty Center in LA. Over five years ago, this information was revealed, and it is becoming a matter of concern due to the million children who vanish in the USA EVERY year. Do not let these criminals hide behind the NSA, and national security. End this horror now, and make America Great again. God bless you.
187 signatures, well on the way to the 100,000 needed to get the White House to respond. Just amazing that the eeebil mainstream media hasn't noticed 1,000,000 vanished children, and it's also amazing that the throngs of tourists that tour the Getty daily haven't noticed any suspicious packs of urchins being herded into their underground bunkers.

According to one loony-tunes webcast where he guested, this is Kelley's bio:
Steven D. Kelley shares his background as a researcher of heavy weapons for the military and CIA and subsequent training in psychic techniques such as remote viewing in order to protect Earth from Aliens. He quickly realized the the hidden agendas and who the real victims are. Steven also describes what is going on around us, and even under us as he reveals his passion for defending humanity. He reveals how places that we consider safe or even beautiful are part of a larger scale manipulation which makes Pizzagate the tip of the iceberg of blatant evil. One such place is the impetus for "Occupy The Getty", Kelley's mission to opening the Pandora's Box which will bring about world-wide accountability.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”