Fire!

mimi

Fire!

Post by mimi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:01 pm

I saw there was a fire earlier, but I didn't know it spread this much. :cry:

Fire Destroys 80% of Boardwalk in Jersey Shore Town

Flames are spreading rapidly along the boardwalk in Seaside Park at the Jersey Shore and smoke can be seen for at least 7 miles in the area.

The fire, which started around 2:30 p.m. at Kohr Brothers Frozen Custard shop, 1800 Boardwalk, has now destroyed at least 80% of the boardwalk in Seaside Park. That's according to Seaside Park’s Police Chief, Francis Larken, who also say possibly two or three dozen businesses have also been destroyed.more:

[/break1]nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Fire-Along-Boardwalk-in-Seaside-Park--223511611.html]http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 11611.html

TexasFilly

Fire!

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes, the pictures on the tee vee are dramatic.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Addie

Fire!

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:11 pm

How terrible is this :(

¡Qué vergüenza!

John Thomas8

Fire!

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

I spent 5 years on the Jersey Shore. Nothing like that idiotic MTV "reality" show and met a lot of nice folks. I'm sorry they had this happen to them.

Whatever4

Fire!

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Was this affected by Sandy?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

TollandRCR

Fire!

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Was this affected by Sandy?[link]Yes,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 25#p545462[/link].

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Whatever4

Fire!

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Was this affected by Sandy?[link]Yes,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 25#p545462[/link].Thanks!

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Emma

Fire!

Post by Emma » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Volkonski

Fire!

Post by Volkonski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Just terrible. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Fire!

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

ABC News Sept. 13, 2013 [link]New Jersey Boardwalk Fire Eyed 'Suspicious' By Officials,http://abcnews.go.com/US/nj-boardwalk-f ... d=20244922[/link]Investigators are suspicious of the fire's origin for the following reasons: it was a midday fire with no bad weather to speak of [although lightning was reported in the vicinity] or obvious cause, there were no injuries, the structure survived the summer season only to burn now and a huge number of firefighters were not around Thursday because the annual New Jersey Firemen's Convention is kicking off today in Atlantic City, sources told ABC News.The investigation into the cause of the fire has been taken over by the county prosecutor, which officials said was a routine procedure."Fire of this magnitude with no obvious cause goes to the lead investigative agency in the county, which in this case is the Ocean County Prosecutor's office," one official told ABC News.Investigators cannot get to the presumed point of ignition because the boardwalk is still smoldering. An oddity is that one witness reported that the fire began outside the ice cream shop on the boardwalk. This would make it seem that nothing in the shop was the cause of the fire. One possibility would be that a pile of construction debris under the boardwalk was ignited in some manner.The boardwalk has had other fires, including fires caused by arson. [link]"Fire hit Seaside Park before, along with many other Jersey Shore boardwalks",http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... walks.html[/link]

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

June bug

Fire!

Post by June bug » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:07 pm

I hate to go all stereotypical, but I have to admit I keep hearing a Jersey-accented voice saying:Be a real shame if your nice little ice cream shop was to burn down, now wouldn't it?

TollandRCR

Fire!

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:41 pm

[link]Bruce Kohr,http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09 ... shoretowns[/link], who owned the frozen custard stand near where the fire is thought to have started, said “our hearts are broken” in a statement with Nancy Kohr, adding that they lost four stands to the fire. He told NBC News in a phone interview on Friday that he grew up in the shop, and that he had customers among some of the first responders who showed up. Kohr was 20 minutes from the store on Thursday when he got a call from a manager who was clearing the store out for the end of the season and smelled smoke.“The walk-ins (refrigerators) were cleaned out, the breakers were off, the store was de-energized,” Kohr said on Friday. He has not heard from any officials, he said, adding that he is “still in shock, this is so unreal.”Gusts that reached up to 40 mph at some points whisked embers onto a nearby condominium complex as well as other neighboring structures, threatening to spread the fire even further, according to NBC Philadelphia.

mimi

Fire!

Post by mimi » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:12 pm

19 firefighters killed in blaze had radio problems

By Associated Press

September 28, 2013 | 1:34pm

Modal Trigger

Brendan McDonough recites The Hot Shot's Prayer during a memorial service in Prescott Valley, Arizona.

Photo: Michael Chow / EPA

PRESCOTT, Ariz. — An investigation into the June deaths of 19 firefighters killed while battling an Arizona blaze has found improperly programmed radios, vague updates, and a 30 minute communication blackout just before the flames engulfed the men.

The report says at the moment the firefighters were killed, an air tanker carrying fire retardant was hovering overhead, waiting for an update about their location.more:

[/break1]com/2013/09/28/19-firefighters-killed-in-blaze-had-radio-problems/]http://nypost.com/2013/09/28/19-firefig ... -problems/

Just last week:

Radios failed during Navy Yard attack, emergency responders say

By Kevin Bogardus - 09/19/13 05:38 PM ET

Tweet

Union officials said police and firefighters resorted to using their cellphones and radios from D.C.’s emergency responders to communicate with each other during the attack.

Anthony Meely, chairman of the Fraternal Order of Police Naval District Washington (NDW) Labor Committee, said police officers who were first on the scene at the Navy Yard had trouble communicating with others in the force via their radios.

Initially, officers found that their radios were working. But as they ventured deeper into the building where the shooting took place, their equipment stopped functioning.

After the first shootout with the gunman, one officer found his radio’s battery was dead, while another officer could not receive a signal from his radio and was unable to call for help. That forced them to use an officer’s cellphone to call others outside the building, according to Meely.[/break1]com/homenews/news/323495-radios-failed-during-navy-yard-attack-first-responders-say]http://thehill.com/homenews/news/323495 ... onders-say

And, of course, 911 had comminications breakdowns.

I guess this is a recurring problem.

John Thomas8

Fire!

Post by John Thomas8 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 pm

And, of course, 911 had comminications breakdowns.I guess this is a recurring problem.It's more important to buy tanks and hi-powered anti-tank rifles than upgrade the 911 gear.

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Fire!

Post by Dallasite » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:41 pm

And, of course, 911 had comminications breakdowns.I guess this is a recurring problem.It's more important to buy tanks and hi-powered anti-tank rifles than upgrade the 911 gear.Dallas County Sheriff's Dept newest acquisition:http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 2e3.jpgh/t to SueDB

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Norbrook

Fire!

Post by Norbrook » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:52 pm

As I recall, there was a lot of money thrown at "fixing the communication issues" after 9/11, when it turned out that many first responders radios didn't talk to other departments, and that coordination was a serious problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have happened quite the way that was planned. :cry: That the responders inside a building might have radio problems is not really unexpected, sad to say. Enough concrete can block a lot of things, radios included. The new "digital radios" often have problems with programming. I use them in my work, and I had to return one of them this year for reprogramming, after it turned out that they hadn't programmed in the channels I needed, and the "local channel" - just between field staff - could receive but not send. :shock: Which rather defeated the whole purpose of having the thing. :roll:

TollandRCR

Fire!

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:14 pm

When Reagan invaded Grenada to save the students at St. George's University Medical School from the horrors of being near an airport runway built by Cuban engineers, the story was that the services could not communicate with each other. They had to find pay telephone booths. BoG, true?

SueDB

Fire!

Post by SueDB » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm

When Reagan invaded Grenada to save the students at St. George's University Medical School from the horrors of being near an airport runway built by Cuban engineers, the story was that the services could not communicate with each other. They had to find pay telephone booths. BoG, true?They have always had problems communicating between the units on the ground and units assigned to support combat activities such as naval gunfire and aviation. Then you deal between the different radio models for the different services including frequency allocation and code/encryption methodology. Not everyone WAS doing things the same way. The way we communicate changed significantly in order to successfully engage the Iraqis in 91. Any unit on the ground should be able to chat with either (and) the aircraft supporting them or the air controller controlling the aircraft/airspace above them. This wasn't always possible in the past.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Estiveo

Fire!

Post by Estiveo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:51 am

Back in 1991, during the Oakland Hills Fire, there were two huge impediments to firefighters (and LEOs involved in the evacuations) The biggest was communications, which are still problematic in the City of Oakland today. Accusations and recriminations fly and I'm not going there, but communications remain a problem in Oakland, for both police and fire.For those paying attention, the second huge impediment was that the vast majority of the fire hydrants took a certain type of hose connector...that none of the Mutual Aid fire departments had. In the last 22 years, most hydrants now accept a universal connector. At least they're supposed to.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

mimi

Fire!

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 pm

On September 28th I posted:

19 firefighters killed in blaze had radio problems

By Associated Press

September 28, 2013 | 1:34pm

Modal Trigger

Brendan McDonough recites The Hot Shot's Prayer during a memorial service in Prescott Valley, Arizona.

Photo: Michael Chow / EPA

PRESCOTT, Ariz. — An investigation into the June deaths of 19 firefighters killed while battling an Arizona blaze has found improperly programmed radios, vague updates, and a 30 minute communication blackout just before the flames engulfed the men.

The report says at the moment the firefighters were killed, an air tanker carrying fire retardant was hovering overhead, waiting for an update about their location.more:

[/break1]com/2013/09/28/19-firefighters-killed-in-blaze-had-radio-problems/]http://nypost.com/2013/09/28/19-firefig ... -problems/

Just last week:

Radios failed during Navy Yard attack, emergency responders say

By Kevin Bogardus - 09/19/13 05:38 PM ET

Tweet

Union officials said police and firefighters resorted to using their cellphones and radios from D.C.’s emergency responders to communicate with each other during the attack.

Anthony Meely, chairman of the Fraternal Order of Police Naval District Washington (NDW) Labor Committee, said police officers who were first on the scene at the Navy Yard had trouble communicating with others in the force via their radios.

Initially, officers found that their radios were working. But as they ventured deeper into the building where the shooting took place, their equipment stopped functioning.

After the first shootout with the gunman, one officer found his radio’s battery was dead, while another officer could not receive a signal from his radio and was unable to call for help. That forced them to use an officer’s cellphone to call others outside the building, according to Meely.[/break1]com/homenews/news/323495-radios-failed-during-navy-yard-attack-first-responders-say]http://thehill.com/homenews/news/323495 ... onders-say

And, of course, 911 had comminications breakdowns.

I guess this is a recurring problem.

UPDATE:

Secret Service, Capitol Police radios couldn't communicate during DC chase

[/break1]nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/04/20823007-secret-service-capitol-police-radios-couldnt-communicate-during-dc-chase?lite]http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... chase?lite

idunno.

I get that they operate on different frequencies, but they should be able to switch over or something. :-?

Whatever4

Fire!

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:14 am

I thought millions of dollars went to upgrade communications so different LE groups could communicate after 9-11.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

mimi

Fire!

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 am

A building in New York collapsed.This is the FDNY twitter account:[/break1]com/FDNY]https://twitter.com/FDNYI've seen reports for awhile now, but still don't really know what's going on.5m agoNow: There are 16 injuries related to the collapse at 1644 & 1646 Park Ave, #Manhattan. The scene is still developing.56m agoMAN 5-ALARM 1646 PARK AVENUE, MULTIPLE DWELLING EXPLOSION AND COLLAPSE,1h agoNow: Photo of #Manhattan collapse. #FDNY has 39 units and 168 members responding. The scene is developing. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiiIJ7iCYAE ... ewhere:BBC Breaking News @BBCBreakingNew York Police Dept says one person killed, at least 15 injured in building explosion bbc.in/1cT0Fre pic.twitter.com/BtwBUBU0TShttp://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-BW573_0312ex_H_20140312105303.jpgI saw some photos of the explosion earlier.

mimi

Fire!

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:42 am

before and after:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiiWjesCQAAJcaX.jpg:large[/break1]com/tvbrendon/status/443770099694972928/photo/1] ... 28/photo/1

mimi

Fire!

Post by mimi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

Here's a storify link:[/break1]com/lizladz/building-collapse-in-manhattan]http://storify.com/lizladz/building-col ... -manhattan

kate520

Fire!

Post by kate520 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 am

The firemen on scene had been responding to a gas leak. Wow. That building is...gone.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”